Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Skilled Chuggers Required' - Amnesty International

Options
  • 13-11-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1129161

lol! Amnesty are actually advertising for 'Skilled Chuggers' now, self described. Well played.
    Paid street fundraisers are sometimes known as chuggers because usually fundraising is viewed as aggressive or invasive (a portmanteau of "charity" and "mugger")Wiki

So if you have any experience in charity work or mugging, contact Amnesty, they want to hear from YOU!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

€15 an hour's not bad plus they would have to be decent employers what with them being all into rights and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It may be run by a third party.

Have you experience in mugging EverEvolving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It may be run by a third party.

Have you experience in mugging EverEvolving?

I stole a drink in a nightclub many moons ago, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No. We'll keep your cv on file though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I used to feel a bit guilty for not stopping and talking to these people (the less annoying ones that is) until I discovered they got paid. I used to think that working for a charity was something people did in their spare time and out of the goodness of their hearts. I didn't think it was a career.

The more annoying ones have often blocked my way and stopped me from walking down the street and made personal remarks about me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The more annoying ones have often blocked my way and stopped me from walking down the street and made personal remarks about me.

Go on, give us all a giggle.. What kind of things did they say about you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Suppose the new job describtion is in line with how they have evolved. Even walking down the street, with your headphones on, looking at your mobile, no longer seems to deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've chugged over a year ago for the best part of 6 months -

Not easy by any stretch of the imagination and you're always one bad week away from getting fired - In my 6 months there close to 30 people were fired!

The job is extremely hard and I wouldnt look down on anybody that's doing it - they have bills to pay too and by golly was I taxed for every penny I earned.

Also this job isnt for everybody - Not only do you have to get past a tough interview process you also then have to preform everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I just loudly say "Sorry, I'm gay" and keep walking. Confuses them to no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I just loudly say "Sorry, I'm gay" and keep walking. Confuses them to no end.

I prefer roaring "you''ll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel".
    By the time they have a comeback I'm well past them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Like how many people even know their bank account and sort code off the top of their head anyways. I wouldn't mind making a cash contribution to a good cause but there is no fecking way I'd ever set up a direct debit to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They probably called him a tight-arse when he didn't hand any money over.

Just remarks about my appearance. I used to have long hair and they would comment on that. I also had long sideburns and a chugger once stood in front of me and when I manoeuvered my way around him he shouted "cool sideboards man". I don't know if he was being sarcastic or if he was paying me a compliment so I'd go back and give him my bank details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I HOPE you blasted them with piss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

€15 an hour's not bad plus they would have to be decent employers what with them being all into rights and all that!

That isn't 15 euro an hour. It is "On-Target Earnings". This means that if the Chugger hits the required sales that they want then they will make that much cash. Reality is probably a lot lower.

I'd get their details and report them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Hobbes wrote: »
    That isn't 15 euro an hour. It is "On-Target Earnings". This means that if the Chugger hits the required sales that they want then they will make that much cash. Reality is probably a lot lower.

The last time I talked to one it was about 9-10 euro an hour base rate and it went up to 15 if you signed up ten people a day... or at least I think it was ten, I never understood this as the direct debit they try to sign you up for is a tenner a month, so the chugger costs more than what they bring in for quite a while, never mind what they cost in bad publicity for the charity.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I HOPE you blasted them with piss ?
    Unfortunately I had already urinated before I left the house. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Chuggers. Best retort i ever heard to a chugger was a from a lad on Westmoreland street who was hassled by a chugger. He just turned around and said "i just don't like helping poor black people", :pac: harsh but funny as fck at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

"do you have a minute for concern?"
    "do you have a concern for my minute?"

and await a response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stay classy, Amnesty International

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've chugged over a year ago for the best part of 6 months -

Not easy by any stretch of the imagination and you're always one bad week away from getting fired - In my 6 months there close to 30 people were fired!

The job is extremely hard and I wouldnt look down on anybody that's doing it - they have bills to pay too and by golly was I taxed for every penny I earned.

Also this job isnt for everybody - Not only do you have to get past a tough interview process you also then have to preform everyday.

Or you could stand on a street and say 'If you give me money to pay my bills I will give 5% to charity.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The average person lasts a week in these jobs before they get the sack, it's a hard thing to do.

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks giving your bank details to a random stranger on the street is crazy? I'd never even consider setting up a direct debit there and then even I supported the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

They should have put the advert up on jobbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Veles wrote: »
    I was once accosted by a trumped up tart chugging for concern who accused me of having "the blood of African children in my hands" when I informed her I wasn't interested!

I got something along the lines of that too, was told to "think of the kids in Africa". So I told them my cousins are kids in Africa and I think about them all the time.

The look on her face...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Trocaire chugger at the house the other day. Very aggressive hard sell. When I said I wasnt interested, she asked if I was happy that 24000 children died every day,when I could possibly save some by monthly direct debit. I told her my OH regularly donates to Gorta and Bothar she suggested that we switch our donations to Trocaire instead. I told her to piss off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

looksee wrote: »
    Or you could stand on a street and say 'If you give me money to pay my bills I will give 5% to charity.'

Ah it wouldnt be as fun....

- Chatting up all the young girls
    - Going to secret seminars where we'd learn hypnotic hand shake techniques
    - More seminars to spot the most vunerable people
    - Use peoples direct debits to pay for all our drinks and drugs on the CEOs yacht

Ah how I miss saving little babies in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Why not just give them incorrect bank details? They will get fired when the thing bounces back and it wastes their time and their bosses time just like they do ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've chugged over a year ago for the best part of 6 months

taxed for every penny I earned.

Not only do you have to get past a tough interview process you also then have to preform everyday.
    Jaysus that sounds like a real horror story, does this really go on in this day & age. I can only sit here shuddering imagining if I had to go through a job interview, be expected to actually work everyday, and then get taxed on my earnings.

The starving babies have it easier.

Advertisement