Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a log with no name

Options
  • 24-10-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi
    So I have decided to jump into the deep end and aim to complete the IM Bolton next season, and start a log at the same time so two firsts.
    Still have to enter and putting it on the long finger to ensure that I have the time, energy and family backing to do it,

The reason for the log is somewhere to put the record the training, and everything that goes with it, and hopefully get feedback from the many who have gone before me and give advice and direction.
    Keep me honest and if it’s down on paper then it’s harder to back out really.

However if I can’t do the training without impacting the family I will stop and go again at another stage.

The original Plan was to start Mid November, as I was training for a PB in Dublin however injury had put a halt to that so now I will run it and see what happens on the day,
    So as the basic plan for Dublin was ruined I have started 1 month of Preparation phase

A bit about me: getting on in the years, and want to get the IM done before Im 40, Currently 80kg, need to get that to <70Kg.
    Have two kids, one Teenager who won’t notice if Im gone training, and an 8 year old who will notice, so the training to fit around them.

was a middle of the bunch cyclist, have ran a few marathons, swimming in currently splashing.

I am looking at a 36 week build up (3 Months of Base, Build and 2 Peak, and then Taper) this has the training starting mid-November.
    The last months training (most easy zone 2 on the bike and run, Swimming was working on technique)

Cycling
    5:12
    Running
    12:08
    Swimming
    3:00
    Core

Total
    20:20

As for the specifics of the Base period, I am still reading everything I can get my hands on, including previous blogs to get the right approach and direction,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Best of luck, you're about 18 months ahead of my plan. Will follow this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck - picked an easy one to start with, eh?:)

IM explosion on Boards for 2012 - great to see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck with the training, I raced Bolton this year and it's a tough course. Get plenty of hills into your bike training.

Thread below is the IM rollcall thread for 2012, add yourself in!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056383534

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

thanks for the encouragement.

Decided to take it easy this week, with DCM on Monday, I was not bothering with a taper as the last months load was so low I didn’t feel it was warranted, however giving the day the respect it deserves will do a mini taper and allow myself a bit more recovery and increase the chances of finishing,

Tuesday:
    did an easy run, held back at times as the HR was rising, just kept it all slow and easy, My quad is still sore for every footstep (only while running) so again this is a worry, (I will take out the roller and work it tonight) apart from that the legs felt a bit tired and heavy,
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124398946

Wednesday:
    Decided it was time to see what the numbers were like on the Rothar, so hooked up the power meter and rode on the rollers for an easy 40min, keeping the hr <140;
    Felt fine no problem pedalling very little hr drift, (hard to really say over such a short time)
    The number show I do need to work on the base phase and keep the HR in Z2;

Average power: 163
    Speed: 17.7
    Cad: 93

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Best of luck Benny, any plan on what races you are considering in the lead up?

• Advertisement

thanks,
    At the moment I am still finalising plans, and as Im new to this tri lark not sure to be honest.
    I have the on a high lever the below pencilled in (some may be a stretch too far), as I learn the ropes and what my family, body will allow I will remove or change around some,
    The plan or goal is not to alter training for any event, or risk training due to recovery.

Running
    DONADEA 50KM (18th Feb)
    Limerick Marathon (Start of May)

Tri
    Tri an Mhi (1/2)
    TryAthy (Olympic or double depending on the above)
    Athlone Olympic to start taper

Bike
    Des Hanlon Memorial Carlow
    Ran na Luimni

BennyMul wrote: »
    Wednesday:
    Decided it was time to see what the numbers were like on the Rothar, so hooked up the power meter and rode on the rollers for an easy 40min, keeping the hr <140;
    Felt fine no problem pedalling very little hr drift, (hard to really say over such a short time)
    The number show I do need to work on the base phase and keep the HR in Z2;

Average power: 163
    Speed: 17.7
    Cad: 93

What power meter do you use?

Thursday
    very easy run after work, went with some of the lad from work; pace was on the slow side but company was nice for a change.

dist: 5.5mi
    Pace 9:20min\mi
    Avg Hr: 105

Friday
    Swim: 1900m
    200m kick
    200m fist
    200m catchup
    10 * 100m (approx 1:55avg) 15sec rest felt ok last two stroke or whatof it fell apart,
    300m wu\cd

Hi jackyback
    I have a Powertap, got it a few years back and never used it correctly, or thought I did until I read "training with Power" and realised there was a lot of wasted miles.

Monday
    DCM: chip time 3:39ish

started just behind the 3:15 group and that pace was uncomfortable, a higher HR than I should have had with that pace. Let the group go and concentrated on keeping the pace at a level I felt I could maintain, that lasted to ½ way and then it went down the hill; the rest was a struggle and the pace dropped to a walk, was unable to pick it up again.

The lack of training over the past few weeks really didn’t help , but you still have high hopes – I would have been ok with the effort if I had not suffered from the start.
    That’s life.

Tuesday: Bike
    Pumped up the tyres so I would just spin with little effort.

Time: 40min
    Avg Cad: 105
    Avg Power : 141
    Avg Speed : 16.5

wednesday:
    had planned to get in a swim before work, but had a crap nights sleep so just could not drag myself out, so went after work

2500M
    200 w/u
    200 x Fist, kick, catchup
    Main set:
    100,200,300,400,500,400,300,200,100 (20 sec rest)
    not sure of the time splits

Bike
    90 Min watching the CL
    Was tired from the swim, after the hour the lack of saddle time started to tell, and the rear was getting tender.

Cad Avg: 93
    Avg Speed: 21.3
    Dist: 31.2
    avg hr: 136
    avg pwr: 174

• Advertisement

Took Thursday off to relax,

Friday: Swim
    short for time today,
    400 wu,
    3 * 700m - with 30 sec rest. (between 14 and 15min for each set)
    Happy enough with these as I did not think I could get through them, the splits were no savage but all ready feeling better in the water and only 5,6 sessions done,
    Still I find my mind wondering after a bit and loose count and as the stroke is not yet set it goes pear shaped.

Sat: was meant to run however Family things came up so it put a halt to it,
    Sun: Bike
    planned a nice 2 hour spin and it was a nice two hour spin, felt ok in the saddle was able to keep a nice effort for the distance,
    Near the end was getting hungry and I skipped breakfast and brough no food to try and kick start the fat burning early,
    Distance 35Miles
    Time 2Hours
    Avg Speed 16.9
    Avg Watt 214, max 970 - tried a sprint ohh the shame
    Avg Hr 137

31 – 06 Nov|# Sessions |Time hh:mm| Distance

Swimming |2 |2:00| 5km

Cycling |3 |4:10|76.6mi

Running | 1 |3:39 |26.4|

Core \ Other|0|00:00|

Total | 6 | 9:39 |106.12 mile

Monday:
    Was my first swim coaching session, and say the least i was cacking it, far from confident in my swim but how else am i to get better. or die trying
    wu. 3 * 150m (100 fc 50 bs)
    then 1k TT - never swam that far, so was not sure if i could so started at the back and tried to make sure i didnt tear off and not finish, finished with ~20min (still waiting for the correc time)
    300m sculling

total distnace
    1750m
    time 1hr
    happy I survived

Tuesday:
    Plan 1 hour run
    Actual still stuck in work so far touching on 15hours, so I may move my weekly rest to today and do the run later in the week
    not a happy bunny

Wednesday:
    Plan was a to do a power test to see where I am, and get the correct training zones.
    In all fairness should have skipped this and just done a recovery spin, was feeling dizzy from lack of food and sleep, the previous day’s work taking its toll. but stupidity took over
    from the start my head was not in it, the Turbo felt wrong (first time using it in a year so should have spent time setting it up correctly)

15min warm up with 3*1min high revs
    5min flat out (lasted 4:30) avg. watts ~320
    10min recovery
    Main set was 20min to est. FTP
    from the start it was wrong got a few minutes into the test and was spaced so called it quits. the levels were wrong (high HR low Power) and the results i don’t think would have been correct,

Time 35min
    This IM training lark is hard to balance, is it right to be panicking this early about missed session, not enough volume

Thursday:
    Starting to feel a bit more normal decided to do my first brick session
    Bike
    55min: 15min w/u
    2 *15min @220watts (bottom z3) 1min rest
    9min – 30 seconds isolated leg *18

straight into the running gear, was not sure of how much to wear. getting off the bike I hot and heading out in to the cold, so went on the side of caution and wrapped up
    did 2.4 miles

splits:
    1 1.00 7:08.8
    2 1.00 7:49.5
    3 0.40 6:49.5

link:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128521888

Friday: 1900m
    Short for time
    w/u – 200 fc, 100 catch up, 100 fist
    1500 m straight @ approx. 34min – was using the pool clock to track the time so not accurate.
    Was happy as twice in 1 week I extend the longest swim,
    The stroke was fine did get messy the further one I went so slowed down and tried to concentrate on from and not speed.

At this point Im not sure if I am going the swim training correct,
    Should I work on shorter distance *higher reps or to swim the same distance over lower to a single rep?
    Any advice would be great

30min core work once I got home:

Saturday:
    Planned 2:30 road,
    Actual 1:40(turbo)
    Going to bed Friday night let the dogs out for their night time toilet visit; when I noticed that one of the rabbits was missing, so queue panic. Looking around the garden at 1am for a black rabbit is not my idea of fun, but thankfully it was found and captured. The joys of an institutionalised pet.
    So Saturday was spent building a new rabbit pen,
    Once done on the bike: 1:40 turbo
    5 min warm up
    1:30 @ upper Z2
    Average Power, Watts 183
    Normalized Power 193

5min isolated leg 30sec per leg.

Sunday:
    8miles\ 70min
    Pace ~8:03

First real run since dcm, was feeling ok a wee bit sluggish; was a windy warm morning and wore too much clothes to was a fraction of a bit too warm. Felt like I had more in me so happy
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128521855

1. missed session and 1 abandoned session this week.
    2. Need to increase the number of core session,

7 – 13 Nov|# Sessions |Time hh:mm| Distance

Swimming |2 |1:45| 3650m

Cycling |3 |3:00|41.6mi

Running | 2 |1:30 |11.0|

Core \ Other|1|00:30|

Total | 8 | 6:45 |54.8 mile

total|# Sessions |Time hh:mm| Distance

Swimming |4 |3:45| 8650m

Cycling |6 |7:10|118.2mi

Running | 3 |5:09 |37.4|

Core \ Other|1|00:30|

Total | 14 | 16:24 |160.9 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Try these excel spreadsheets at the bottom of the page

http://www.3dtri.com/index.php?q=node/2252

Worked wonders for me - started on the 1500m sessions then built it up from there

catweazle wrote: »
    Try these excel spreadsheets at the bottom of the page

http://www.3dtri.com/index.php?q=node/2252

Worked wonders for me - started on the 1500m sessions then built it up from there

Thanks for this, looks perfect.

Monday:
    Tri club swim session: ~1700m
    300m wu
    6* 50 kicks - ouch really hurt. I realised that I don’t use my legs enough or just very little,

10 * 100 off 2:05 – not sure if we got the 10 done as I lost count. Felt good through these and was hitting the 2min for each rep comfortably. Last one we told to go for it , hit 1:46 and was happy with that could not do another rep like that.
    100 warm down

Tuesday:
    1 hour bike,
    15 min warm up,
    35Min avg: 212 watts (low Z3) – feeling on during this there was a bit of HR drift, it went to the mid 160’s which I was not happy about, this was too high for the effort.
    10 min cd.
    Need to spend more time in the Z3 zone

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sammy7p

was a middle of the bunch cyclist, have ran a few marathons, swimming in currently splashing.

was a middle of the bunch cyclist my arse! Twice in the Ras I think you told me before:)

Best of luck Buddy!!!

Wednesday
    Plan: swim.
    another great day in work and didnt get out till late so, it put a halt to any activity.

Thursday
    Run: 45 min "speed" work
    13min wu
    12 x1 min @ ~5K paceish
    long time since I ran this hard and started the first few too fast, the night was crap with a strong wind
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129970356

Bike: 40 min on rollers
    Low power and high revs
    Avg Power 162
    Nor Power 175
    Avg Cad 94
    Dist 12.5mi

Legs were tired afer the run effort but felt good had more in the tank but cut it short for family time.

Friday:
    Plan was to get in my second swim and the pool was closed.
    so did another bike session as I was minding the young man.
    40 min Rollers
    pushed it a bit, (still trying to keep everything areobic)
    5min wu
    starting @220 watts I tried added 1 gear and kept the same rev. (over 12 miles)
    220watts - 240

Avg power 239
    Nor 240
    Avg Spd 28.
    No Hr

did some core work and light weights

Saturday:
    work up to a nice morning, after the wind and rain the night before was not looking forward to getting wet.
    Skipped breakfast
    Had planned to do power tests, so decided to head down to the Glen of Aherlow, however one I got on the climb i knew that the 90min spin to the base and the general feeling would not lead to a correct reading,
    But after coming this far hard to give it a lash, the effort was there and the numbers ok, the only thing was my HR would not rise and hung around 165. A bit of a sign of tirdness (I hope)
    once over had the fun of doing the decent in fog,
    the remainder of the spin home was just plain nice

Dist: 41
    Pwr: 169\444
    Nor Pwr: 197
    Hr: 137\167
    Spd 16.8\38
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129970426

Sunday:
    spent the day with the kids and got a bit of time right after dinner,
    run was fine a bit slow to get going, but going right after eating not the best plan

90min
    11 mi
    Pace 8:02
    HR 136/162

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129970434

happy enough with the week, apart from the swim,
    I am feeling tired and need to start looking at my diet and recovery as the weekly volumes will grow.

14 -20 Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance
    Swimming|1|1:00|1750m
    Cycling|4|4.50|80.5
    Running|2|2:16 |16.69
    Core \ Other|1|0:40|
    Total|8 |7:56|98.2

Total|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance
    Swimming|5|4:45|10.4Km
    Cycling|10|10.10|198.7
    Running|5|7:25 |54
    Core \ Other|2|1:20|
    Total|22 |23:50|259.2

Tri Club session: 55min 1700m

300m WU - 50m fc, 50m bc
    4 x 50 kicks, no floats keeping the body at an angle.
    2 x 100 off 2:05
    3 x 200 off 6:15(I think)
    1 x 100 off 2:05
    1 x 200
    1 x 100 WD
    Suffered from a bad cramp in my leg, in the calf and muscle beside the shin (can’t remember its name)
    Feeling ok in the water, starting to enjoy it

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Bike on the Rollers

5 min wu
    The main set was supposed to be at ~200W, and this was planned to be done mainly on feel and occasionally looking at the meter for guidance, this set was to last 35min however watched the C.L highlights and was extended to 50min. Effort in a high gear (53*13) so rpm ~79,
    After downloading the data I was below on Avg and Nor power, not sure if this was down to a lack of concentration due to the C.. highlights or fatigue. (HR was very flat 150Bpm no drift)
    cool down – 5 * 1min single leg, and remaining @110rpm very low gear and trying to relax the hips to stop the bike bouncing,

Total Time 70min
    Avg Power 206
    Nor Power 210
    Avg Cadence 79
    Avg Speed 24.46
    Avg HR 150

Hey, what software do you use to download your power data?

Hey, what software do you use to download your power data?

Currently using the PowerAgent software for the PowerTap, its not a patch on the WKO+ you are using, does not have any cool graphs :(, but does give the main numbers I need,

Wednesday
    Have gotten in to a bad habit of not getting away from the desk for food, eat breakfast and dinner working, so going to try and get 1 or 2 runs a week during this time,
    So started today.

Nice easy 4.9 mi
    Time: 37min (a bit longer than planned)
    Avg Pace: 7:32 min/mi

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130523407

Felt good for the rest of the day (apart from the guilt)

Wednesday afternoon
    Swimming 50min, following the xls provided by catweazle

Dist 2000m
    200 wu
    16 * 50 off 70 seconds, every 200 dropped the time by 5 seconds, the last 4 @55seconds
    Felt ok, the last 2 felt a bit messy and began to feel like I was fighting the water as opposed to swimming (felt I had at least 2 @ 50seconds but did not wanted to maintain a good(ish) stroke
    200 Kick – swimming on my side for ten kicks then flips over and repeat.
    100 Fist
    100 Catch up
    400 straight and tried to slow it down and concentrate on my catch and pull
    200 cd

Need to start adding more core sessions to the week, as this area is a bit of a sham

Thursday (after work)
    Run 45Min 4.8mi
    6 *200m @90-95% effort 400 recovery
    splits were between 32 and 34 seconds (I can kick sub 4min mile off my list of things to do not a hope in hell)
    efforts did hurt but got them done,
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130711236

Bike
    40 Min keeping the revs >95
    Didnt pay attention to speed or watts, just wanted to get the extra session in and made it a recovery one,
    20min core work after this

my legs were very tired after this day, not sure if I should get one done before starting work to give extra recovery time;

Friday:
    Swim only got 45 min ~1400m (had the plan worked but forgot most of it once in the pool)
    200 wu
    200 kick
    300 with pull boy
    700 f/s
    no wd as I had another hour of playing with the kids
    arms felt heavy and the stroke was messy, probably should have stopped as not sure if it was worth doing when wrong. but since I was there.

Saturday:
    No breakie, started eating on the hour
    nice spin feeling good enough on the bike, considering the legs were feeling tired.
    the route was a nice flat with no climbs at all.
    Forgot the HR strap, well left it in the upstairs and for the risk of waking the others decided it was not needed.
    5 min warm up (to try and figure out which way the wind was)
    did throw in 6 half arsed attempts at sprints, didn't change gear just picked something and went for it, nowhere near max - just to wake up the legs a bit.

Time 02:38:40
    Distance 45.36
    Avg Speed 17.6\29.2 (excluding Wu\wd)
    Avg Power 180\871
    Nor Power 197

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/131368594

After dinner went swimming, the youngest had a swimming lesson so I took advantage and got another session in.

Dist: 1800m
    200 wu
    10 * 100 - 25m swim , 25 catch up off 2:30
    first few felt grand the last did hurt the arms, realised my legs were useless I was concentrating on my stoke, the legs just hung there could not get the working together.
    3 * 200 off 2:05 f/s - these felt good, splashing a bit as the arms enter the water (not sure if this is good or does it make a difference, prob does) did try and get the legs working and it did for most part.
    This felt so much better than last night's swim,

Sunday:
    nice easy run, out late again but managed to get 30min in before I turned on the light so happy enough, didn't pay any attention to pace or hr, just ran on what I felt was comfortable (tried the talk to myself check every time I felt pressure)

Moving Time: 1:30:41
    Avg Pace: 8:00 min/mi
    Avg Hr : 130/ 190 (Im hoping the max was wrong as never felt it on the road)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/131368601

Totals

21 - 27 Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance
    Swimming|4|3:40|6900m
    Cycling|3|4.29|80.64
    Running|3|2:52 |20.7
    Core \ Other|2|0:30|
    Total|12 |11:31|115.65

Total|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance mi\km
    Swimming|9|8:10| 10.81 \ 17.3
    Cycling|10|10.10| 279.34 \ 449.46
    Running|5|7:25 | 74.4 \ 119.71
    Core \ Other|4|1:50|
    Total|22 |35:21|374.85 \ 603.13

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If the distance markers for the IM are in kms you may as well convert ;)
    Some good work going on here. Seems like the bike is your strength too which bodes well for the IM. Best of luck!

Monday:
    Tri club swim session. 2100m
    200wu \wd
    100 catchup
    100 fist (6 strokes fist - 6 swim)
    100 one arm, found this hard my left arm is so weak compared to the right.
    7 * 200 off 4:05 (was to be 8 but time up)
    I did struggle here all the times were under the 4min mark so not going to complain just yet, body is just a bit tired 5 swims in 8 days,

• Advertisement

Tuesday: Bike
    on the rollers; stuck on a sufferfest video (fightclub)
    has been almost a year since I did one of these and forgot that you do suffer.

Total 70min
    Session
    warm up
    5 min @230w with a few efforts (300w+) never went over 330

Main 4min @~260 (actual 263,259,256,251w)
    2.5 min @270 W (actual 275,267,273,262w)
    3 min rest
    repeat the main by 4

the efforts were fine may have been too hard, the last one was down a fraction but still within the 10% to make it a valid intervals,
    I do need to do a proper profile test for Bike and Run as my max HR is down, not sure if this is due to been tired from the high training work load or just age,

Advertisement