Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the bigger beast? Helpless Lion killed by Tory Party UK Donor

Options
  • 10-09-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

MILLIONAIRE banker Sir David Scholey poses by the bloody corpse of a lion after shooting it for fun on a "trophy-hunting" holiday.
    Other souvenir snaps show the Tory party donor grinning as he stands in front of elephant tusks and antelope and buffalo skulls during a big game hunting trip to Zambia.

Angry animal welfare groups yesterday described Sir David's trips as "sadistic and selfish" — but he said he saw nothing wrong in paying huge sums to kill exotic beasts.

He added: "I have been hunting all over the world for many, many years and I have always hunted within the legal arrangements of the country concerned. I regard that as an entirely personal matter.

"All the animals I hunt are wild beasts. And I have felt threatened by them at times.

"The lion I killed certainly wasn't an endangered species where I was hunting it."

Sir David, 76, an ex-Bank of England director and BBC governor, added: "Obviously, if I felt there was anything wrong in it I wouldn't do it.

"The object is to dispatch the animal with a bullet it never hears. That's why it's important to be a very good shot before you even think about hunting. I continue to hunt big game, not as much as I used to but I do continue to do it."

The League Against Cruel Sports said: "It is enormously selfish to kill magnificent animals for sadistic pleasure. It beggars belief that someone in a position of authority could think it's acceptable.

Hunter ... Sir David Scholey
    "If he is a Tory donor, they should seriously consider whether he is the sort of person they want associated with the modern party."

Pictures of Sir David with his quarry are posted on the websites of two leading African firms which organise shooting trips.

Safari Bwana charges punters £25,550 for a 24-day lion and leopard shooting trip to Mozambique.

Its hunts in Zambia, Botswana and Tanzania can exceed £62,000 per person because of international pressure to protect the animals.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3806600/Whos-the-bigger-beast.html

Here is the link, absolutely outrageous behavior. Killing an animal for nothing other than a trophy.

Can someone post the picture, it speaks a thousand words, I do not know how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Wow, someone goes on a hunting holiday and a rag bag group of animal rights loons disagrees with it. Shocker.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wow, someone goes on a hunting holiday and a rag bag group of animal rights loons disagrees with it. Shocker.:rolleyes:

Caught me by surprise as well.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Seems like such a nice man*.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3806600/Whos-the-bigger-beast.html

Nice fur coat and a round of lion burgers out of that yoke.

*Banker

Sickens me that people are allowd to shoot such magnificent animals for 'fun'

dirty bastard.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

"All the animals I hunt are wild beasts. And I have felt threatened by them at times"
    if he stayed away from their habitat, he would not feel threatened, you would swear they knocked on his door and asked him out for a fight,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

goat2 wrote: »
    "All the animals I hunt are wild beasts. And I have felt threatened by them at times"
    if he stayed away from their habitat, he would not feel threatened, you would swear they knocked on his door and asked him out for a fight,

Not even that...guns are for pussies.

Real men hunt lions armed with only their teeth and their ball sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Pity the lion didn't rip his head off. Shooting animals aint sport its murder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

whycliff wrote: »
    "The lion I killed certainly wasn't an endangered species where I was hunting it."

This line just sums it up.

No, but kill enough and soon they will become endangered. :rolleyes:

Do humans ever learn from past mistakes? Doesn't look like it.

charlemont wrote: »

Hyperbole much ?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People will be outraged because it's a lion. If it was a fox or a crow then not many would give a shit. In game parks like that the animals are closely monitored and hunters are never allowed to reduce overall average numbers.. if they did, then their businesses wouldn't be long going bust. I wouldn't be fussed on it myself, but if you're gonna be outraged by it then why not for the animals hunted and killed every day right here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

grade A ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Perhaps you'd like to explain why it's perfectly OK to venture into an animals habitat and kill it for no reason other than 'fun'?

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

What an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Killing anything for sport is wrong in my opinion.If your a farmer being plagued by pests i can understand it but doing it for sport is sick.

Paying thosands of pounds to go and kill a Lion makes him one sick ****.

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd like to explain why it's perfectly OK to venture into an animals habitat and kill it for no reason other than 'fun'?

Idiot.

Not having been on a hunting safari myself i would not be up to speed on the methodology involved, but what i have heard from those that have is that the animals selected for culling would be shot one way or the other, and selling that to rich foreigners is one of the few ways that these large game reserves have to make money on an ongoing basis.
    it takes a lot of time and expense to keep out indiscriminate poachers, and while you may find this morally objectionable ( and that is entirely your right), is it not better than the alternative of a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I was tempted to post something slating the animals' rights activists (they're always so feckin' sanctimonious) but have changed my mind. This guy is a clown - a top class moron. Ridiculous behaviour.

Edit: Oh, and good on the Sun for publishing the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde - the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Not having been on a hunting safari myself i would not be up to speed on the methodology involved, but what i have heard from those that have is that the animals selected for culling would be shot one way or the other, and selling that to rich foreigners is one of the few ways that these large game reserves have to make money on an ongoing basis.
    it takes a lot of time and expense to keep out indiscriminate poachers, and while you may find this morally objectionable ( and that is entirely your right), is it not better than the alternative of a free for all.

Food for thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I hope he gets eaten by a lion.

People will be outraged because it's a lion. If it was a fox or a crow then not many would give a shit. In game parks like that the animals are closely monitored and hunters are never allowed to reduce overall average numbers.. if they did, then their businesses wouldn't be long going bust. I wouldn't be fussed on it myself, but if you're gonna be outraged by it then why not for the animals hunted and killed every day right here?

Maybe they would be outraged,but this thread is about a lion :);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Animal rights activists branding the actions of others "sadistic and selfish" :D Oh the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

And what of the buffalo skulls and elephant tusks? Animals that have almost been rendered extinct by this type of activity

Well, buffalo populations are on the rise apparently. But about a century ago they were almost wiped out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I refuse to let The Sun preach to me about moral issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

What a magnificent creature. Wow some achievement killing it at a distance with a gun.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Louis Theroux did a good documentary about these hunting holidays, and the species that were endangred actually began to flourish because more of them are farmed and protected, though only to be hunted

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What's sporty about killing a wild animal with a gun?

Fist Vs Paws in a cage would be much more impressive.

Hmm, think I might have a new proposition for Dragons Den....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

What a brave 'hunter'. Asshole :mad:.
    Going off to Africa on wild game hunting expeditions to bag a lion... sorry is this 1930 or 2011?! sounds like the type who bemoans Britain's loss of empire with her colonies in Africa... with all the arrogance and sense of entitlement that brought with it by the Imperialists.

Probably privately calls the natives 'darkies'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Hunting any animal for sport is one of the scummiest things a human can do!
    Most of these animals have done absolutely nothing to warrant being murdered.
    Makes me Sick..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Greentopia wrote: »
    ...sounds like the type who bemoans Britain's loss of empire with her colonies in Africa... with all the arrogance and sense of entitlement that brought with it by the Imperialists.

Probably privately calls the natives 'darkies'. :rolleyes:
    Well, to be fair,
    ...Sir David Scholey... Tory party donor...

That's a bit of a given, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

whycliff wrote: »

The League Against Cruel Sports said: "It is enormously selfish to kill magnificent animals for sadistic pleasure.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sickens me that people are allowd to shoot such magnificent animals for 'fun'

dirty bastard.:mad:

So hunting is ok as long as only the non-magnificent animals are targeted? Or is all trophy hunting wrong, and should we all be hot-footing it over to the hunting forum to express our moral outrage?
    charlemont wrote: »

Umm, not it's not.

+1.
    Wolflikeme wrote: »

Idiot.

Why isn't it? It's not something I'd do myself, and it'd have to be in an environment where animal numbers are controlled and monitored, but if that's the case, why shouldn't it be an option for people?

The vast majority of hunters do so for the fun. They may eat their kills, but food gathering isn't what motivates them- it's merely a perk of their sport.
    I was tempted to post something slating the animals' rights activists (they're always so feckin' sanctimonious) but have changed my mind. This guy is a clown - a top class moron. Ridiculous behaviour.

Edit: Oh, and good on the Sun for publishing the story.

Why is he a moron? More pertinently, why is he a moron, and the people who post on the hunting forum aren't? Is it because he's rich, and a toff, and a rich British toff (the worst kind!) at that?

Advertisement