Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HigginDazs

I'm not too happy with it tbh =/. It would be a lot easier to modify or come up with a new concept for something electronic, like they did in the last few years. I'm finding it hard enough to figure out how to get at least 5 parts for the Solidworks section...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

i think it is a good idea for a project. the last few years students simply put mp3's, usb and dvd players and bluetooth ect into everything which isn't really teck graph (at least that is what i did and it worked :D). that is more techonology. at least this year it is a purly design project which is what it is what the subject is all about all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Well fair enough point but from a LC student's point of view, this is far more difficult than previous years. I mean, a bottle has one function; it always has. There have never been any problems with it and it has rarely been improved because there's no need to. Therefore, this it's going to be really hard to think of good ideas. I hope next year's is a re-invention of the wheel...

I'm really worried about this project now. Gonna be really hard :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

I think it'll really suit the arty students, it's a far more creative option than last year's, which was hard to redesign.

But, the SolidWorks will be a nightmare. :( Most perfume bottles aren't very geometric, and on top of that I don't know how you can get loads of parts from a bottle, they only have a few unlike the sat navs which had many possibilities for loads of parts.

Does anyone have the full brief that they can put up? (With details for each output too.) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Heres the full brief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I'm not envying ye, the perfume bottle is very constricted in what you can do with it, and what parts you can add, glad I'm not doing the LC until next year, dream assignment: Smartphone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shlong

Seriously now... has anyone found a bottle with five seperate parts for the solidworks section????

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

shlong wrote: »
    Seriously now... has anyone found a bottle with five seperate parts for the solidworks section????

off the top of my head there is the glass bottle part, the cap, the sprayer thing(could possible get 2 parts out of that), the tube that goes inot the liquid and possible a ring thing that stops it from leeking.

shlong wrote: »

@crazy cabbage is right, you can get five parts from most of them, it's just that it's very hard to get any more than five parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Sarah? wrote: »
    @crazy cabbage is right, you can get five parts from most of them, it's just that it's very hard to get any more than five parts.

Don't be looking for more than 5 parts- 5 is all you need. So be happy that you don't need to model more than 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i wont lie, i wouldnt like to be doing this project, but it is very manageable if you start now and work through because you do not want to end up like we did and not do anything for the 1st two months and leave it all build up! :O a thought that just struck me there is that i get the feeling they want curves to be present in your design, because curves is a more advanced technique and it will not only make your piece alot better looking but it will stand out more from the other designs! might i suggest the loft tool... ;) best of look guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sheep2bull

any ideas for output 1 anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mark11original

The pump which sprays the perfume is made up of at least 5 parts.

There's a really useful guide to the project here...

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it says "guide to the student assignment" and you can download it for free. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I think that this is a very good project. For the last number of years kids have spent away too much time worrying about the Solidworks and trying to do get far too many parts. If they ask for 5 parts give them 5. Sweep and loft will be the tools that you will need to use for this project I would think.

For the part b I would stay away from the modification. As has been already mentioned there is not a lot that you can change about the bottle. A concept design is definitely the way to go. Pick a theme, something from nature perhaps and develop that idea. Just off the top of my head, I would be thinking something along the lines of a flower/ the shape of the eye/ an animal etc. This is the way the examiners want you to go. They want to assess your design/development skills, not see how many solar panels, USB ports etc that you can fit on a product!!

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Seeker of Truth

Do bodysprays or hairsprays count as fragrance bottles? We have a load of them at home, but I'm not sure whether to use them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 coxy 132

just saw your project as a person who has done this and got an A
    i must say you have got a very easy project to do,
    all the bottel are easy to make, and the spray top is easly done too and easy to get parts from,

very easy to get a A in this project
    for part just pick something and make the bottl look like it like a leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

If anyone wants my project from last year PM me and I'll email the pdf, I got an A1 this year and I'm gone on to study to teach DCG.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeBlanka

Does the whole project has to be done on the school computers? I understand that the SolidWorks might have to be done there but I want my photoshop for the presentation! Screw Publisher :D
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

You've got a tough one. Last year's was quite easy to redesign, and I've seen a lot of innovative, eye catching GPSs. Lots of parts too. This one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

DeBlanka wrote: »
    Does the whole project has to be done on the school computers? I understand that the SolidWorks might have to be done there but I want my photoshop for the presentation! Screw Publisher :D
    Cheers!

3d models have to be done on the computers. They can check where they were made, somehow. All 2d stuff can be made on photoshop at home. That's what I was doing till good old adobe decided to die on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

What should I write beside each of the headings (themes,colour,shape etc.) in output 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevomc50

How may parts does your concept design have to be.... i'm at 3 but i have a niggling feeling that its supposed 2 be five.... plz help

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    What should I write beside each of the headings (themes,colour,shape etc.) in output 1?
    I'm after blending the theme, shape, features etc into one paragraph... Are the rest of ye doing it differently? :confused:
    stevomc50 wrote: »
    How may parts does your concept design have to be.... i'm at 3 but i have a niggling feeling that its supposed 2 be five.... plz help
    Has to be at least 5, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevomc50

damn, need a new concept design :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amstar

Do bodysprays or hairsprays count as fragrance bottles?

I wouldn't think that a body spray as in a deodorant or a hair spray would count as a fragrance. Id stick to perfumes and aftershaves if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

How far are people with this?
    I haven't even finished output 1 yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    How far are people with this?
    I haven't even finished output 1 yet :o
    Just finished output 1... messy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 orla52

RHunce wrote: »
    If anyone wants my project from last year PM me and I'll email the pdf, I got an A1 this year and I'm gone on to study to teach DCG.
    hi could u send it on to me fr ideas please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darren95

I was wondering how your going to get the dimensions of the bottles?

Advertisement