Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panasonic freesat epg

Options
  • 08-09-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Morning all
    Have done a search but nothing
    I have a TXL42D52L and the freesat epg only shows now and next
    I have installed V2.509 software but no change
    Saoirview epg is fine
    Any ideas anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I have the same TV - TXL42D25L
    Its something to do with the fact that its an Irish version of the TV (L at the end denotes Ireland I think - UK version has a B at the end)
    We can only therefore get now and next on Freesat EPG

There will never be an update to the software by the looks of things as Panasonic are really poor at that kind of support. I understand that there is an easy enough fix that would enable MHEG5 which would give us Digital Teletext and a full 7 day EPG for Freesat but it isn't going to happen.

Have a look through here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71779789

You can do a search here on Boards.ie and you will find lots of info on this model. here is one bit that i got working recently where you can get the 6 BBC Red Button channels tuned in

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72908443

Great TV to be fair as the picture is top class and all the features are great too except we are a little crippled by one bit of software missing compared to the UK version

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Hi and thanks for the reply
    Yes indeed the picture is really good
    I wonder if anyone tried to install the software for the UK model and would that help

Yes thought about trying the install but decided against it. I didnt want to make a €700 brick out of my TV:rolleyes:

I now just use an online TV guide (installed one on my phone too) and use the record function to record stuff to USB but I would love to see the full EPG on the TV.

Have a look here also
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056380157

We are on software ver 2.515 and still only now and next EPG

I am going to contact Panasonic and see if I can get any answers. Maybe if we get lots of people to annoy them it might help!

I contacted Panasonic on Email and----silence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Latest Panasonic TV's and Irish DTT

Anyone considering buying an Irish specification Panasonic TV needs to read this carefully. I have tried to be clear but if there is anything you think needs clarification, feel free to post and I will reply.

Panasonic do a range of Plasma TV's with a specific Irish model. This is designated by an L at the end of the model number. e.g TX-P42S10L.

When you switch one on the first time, you choose language and then country.

The country menu looks exactly the same as the European model sold by the likes of Pixmania other than that you can choose Ireland.

Auto setup runs but strangely only auto tunes Analogue stations and then exits.

You have to go into the setup menu to get the DVB-T setup to run.

It tunes in RTE DTT, no problem.

But then press the guide button and all you get is a Channel List, no EPG!!!

Read instruction book---"Depending on the country you select, TV Guide may not be supported, in this case Channel list will appear"

So to get the guide to work, you need to start again, thats the shipping condition option in the menu.

This time, select France as your country.

DVB-T finds channels, then exit. There is no point going through the analogue setup as it will not find Irish analogue channels with France selected.

The EPG will now work.

Go into analogue tuning menu. Change sound spacing from "F" to "SC2"

Then manually tune in and store the four channels. It very easy to do.

Teletext: Does not receive the MHEG5 text broadcast on RTE1 &2. Does receive old style text.

The only part of these TV's that has an Irish specification is that Ireland is included in the country list.

Panasonic, this is a pathetic effort at an Irish spec TV.

Save money and buy a European specification model and follow my instructions for tuning for France.

The TXL42D25L auto dvbt works fine on this TV.It tunes in all the analogue and RTE digital channels with full EPG
    Problem is with the Freesat EPG-it only shows now and next:confused:

Ya full 7 day EPG populates on Saorview DVB-T
    but the issue is with Freesat DVB-S only showing Now and Next

Just emailed Panasonic to see if I can get an answer

Just tried to Email them and the site is acting up

Well I sent Panasonic an Email and-nothing yet:mad:
    Any one else had any luck

• Advertisement

Well I sent Panasonic an Email and-nothing yet:mad:
    Any one else had any luck

Nope - no reply for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The TXL42D25L auto dvbt works fine on this TV.It tunes in all the analogue and RTE digital channels with full EPG
    Problem is with the Freesat EPG-it only shows now and next:confused:

MHEG-5 required for the Freesat 7 day epg. As tui0hcg said above no MHEG-5 for digital text with Saorview therefore no MHEG-5 for Freesat 7 day epg. Now and Next info is carried as part of the DVB data stream for the TV channel.

Saorview (and Freeview) use the basic DVB-SI standard for the 7 day epg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Ya full 7 day EPG populates on Saorview DVB-T
    but the issue is with Freesat DVB-S only showing Now and Next

Just emailed Panasonic to see if I can get an answer

You do realise that the L model is not a Freesat model. The B model is. What you have is the L model which is simply an FTA DVB-S2 tuner on the sat end.

Freesat Software is only present on the B models. With the freesat software comes the 7 day epg and the Freesat look.

If you were insistent on changing your model to Freeesat mode (ie a B model) you would need to hack the Hex editor. It probably has an onboard hex editor) but you need to know what values to change. And you would have to tune in your dvb-t stations first as anything other than MPEG2 values are turned off in B mode.

Oh yeah.... and Panasonic Ireland models from 2010 dont actually comply with Irish basic spec (ie MHEG5). We all know that, Panasonic dont want to though. Sad thing is MHEG5 engine is actually present on the unit itself (as it has to be for UK). And ALL units are pan european manufactured with same hardware and its the software that tells them what to boot with. They wont do it for you, so forget it.

It has all come up before

Just got a reply - not very helpful
    I might pursue them to get a better reply and see if they will give me something better than the standard 'reset your TV' crap

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry regarding your television.

In response, a re-set to shipping condition may solve this problem. To re-set the television:

• Press MENU on your remote control
    • Select SETUP and press OK
    • Select SHIPPING CONDITION and press OK
    • Choose to confirm that you wish to carry out this procedure and press OK

If this does not solve the issue with your television, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will endeavour to assist.

Hi STB
    Surly the MPEG4 would still work as the freeview HD channels are MPEG4:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I will never buy a Panasonic television going by the experiences on here.

:) to be fair the pictures are first class
    If only they would sort out their software issues

Would agree - Pictures are the best I have seen on any telly I have ever had. Sound is great too.
    I suppose its really the fact that we have an Irish version of the TV and trying to pick up UK Freesat stuff.
    However typical Ireland and our attitude in that we just get on with it and take what we are given and 'sur it'll be grand'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They might be great but best of luck getting help from Panasonic if you need it. After sales support would be important for me.

Hi STB
    Surly the MPEG4 would still work as the freeview HD channels are MPEG4:D

MPEG4 H264 for DVB-T is video. The tuner is the hardware. The MPEG4 chipset also hardware dictates whether it will decode MPEG4 video. With Panasonic you also have issues with shortcut written firmware to disable the MPEG4 chip from decoding MPEg4 services on DVB-T (Freeview SD uses DVB-T and MPEG2 - Freeview HD uses DVB-T2 tuner and MPEG4).

The previous models with MPEG4 chip and DVB-T tuner were disallowed from tuning in anything other than MPEG2 services in the software. It is a blessing that the DVB-T2 (Freeview HD) does not allow shortcuts.

The Satellite tuner which I constantly see referred to as Freesat in this thread is infact just a dvb-s2 tuner.

The software to enable Freesat HD 7 day epg is not enabled on the L model. It is only present on the B model as Freesat HD is only licensed for the UK, thats why it doesnt appear on pan european models like the L.

The L model released for Ireland doesnt even have the required middleware for text or interactive services despite the TV being released well after the basic spec requirements was first published in Feb 2008.

• Advertisement

Fair point STB
    Yes indeed the DVBT2 tuner works fine with Saoirview -7 day EPG and all
    As you say it is a DVB S2 tuner which works fine with Freesat minus the red button and full EPG
    Just a thought-what if you loaded the UK software from the Pan site into the L model
    What do you think:)

STB wrote: »
    The Satellite tuner which I constantly see referred to as Freesat in this thread is infact just a dvb-s2 tuner.

Yup - sorry you are correct its only a DVB-S2 tuner
    Fair point STB
    Yes indeed the DVBT2 tuner works fine with Saoirview -7 day EPG and all
    As you say it is a DVB S2 tuner which works fine with Freesat minus the red button and full EPG
    Just a thought-what if you loaded the UK software from the Pan site into the L model

Have thought of that but dont want to end up with a €800 brick in my living room :(
    Would be prepared to do it if I knew it worked

I think dont even think about it!

The software for Freesat MAY actually be on it already, but you would have to know the hex values and exact line to change in the onboard hex editor should one exist (it did on the Panasonic G10s).

Be madness though, you could be entering a world of pain however. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZTpXewYfERStNcju3zO5KowcfKIaPVhnVNlN_tIaGW9IqmknQpQ

What owners of L model ranges should insist on is the enabling of MHEG5 as its part of the basic spec and these fairly new models SHOULD have it on an Irish profile TV. Firmware upgradable. Get onto Panasonic and ask them why it isnt present given these are 2010 models and the spec was published in Feb 2008 and they should have known given they are a member of the CEDA group who have been in close consultation in the roll out of DTT which has been on air with these basics of MPEG4 and MHEG5 since 7 August 2008.

What that would mean to you is that would at least releases the red button service, sports multiscreens and text from the Freesat range to your TV as thats what its built on. It might also mean that you could load the 7 day epg from the API from the Freesat transponder if someone wrote a simple patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    My Panny V20L updated its firmware last night from 2.505 to 2.515. Not sure what this will do, maybe something to do with viera cast. Btw, got the TV calibrated and what a difference this had made. excellent hd pictures onfree to air.

Yep I have 2.515 and it dosnt solve the proble
    How did you calibrate the TV

Well still no response from panasonic
    As a side issue has anyone used a USB powered external drive on this model
    I did a search but not a lot there
    Cheers all

Yep I have 2.515 and it dosnt solve the proble
    How did you calibrate the TV

PM'd you the settings that are suggested here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42d25-tx-l42d25b-20100430437.htm
    Good informative read

As for USB powered HDD for recording - I have one hooked up (I cant remember what make or model but I will let you know when I get home later and take a look) Works well - a little restricted with the now and next for Sat feed but not a bad option. I think the drive needs to be over a certain size for it to work and if you unplug it all recordings are deleted. Its a good option however to record some movies on etc.

Thanks for the info:)

Advertisement