Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Red Button streams

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered before but I have seen somewhere that it may be possible to tune Freesat viewers to see the BBC Red Button streams. The BBC say we will be able to access single stream video services as well as the Sport Multiscreen.

However I have a Panasonic tx-l42d25l and I am struggling to figure out how I add a new stream of channel or if in fact it is even possible. the telly has not got MHEG5 so I dont see any red button option when viewing BBC normally but I believe that I can tune in the streams to a channel number - is this correct?
    When BBC recently did something to their streams I had to do a full rescan of all channels to get the BBC back on the TV - I then had to go about rearranging the channels to the way I like them e.g BBC 1 on channel number 1 etc etc (took ages)

Any help or pointers appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real Freesat and Freesat HD receivers work automatically.

It's Generic FTA receivers that need tuned. See the Tuning sticky and also
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Freesat is trademark and only applies to licensed approved receivers.
    Also Panasonic are poor at implementing standards.

The UK Freesat system uses a Proprietary EPG. While the Freesat Interactive is MHEG5 based, certain video stream features use the Proprietary Freesat protocols. So using MHEG5 on its own isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Panasonic are really starting to p*ss me off with the way they setup their TVs. I have a freesat version with all the Freesat functionality but when I look to add services, I have to do it in a completely different location on the setup.

Your telly tui0hcg looks like its a Ireland model like the UK but is stripped of its Freesat operation leaving important stuff out. It says it does Mpeg4 over DVB-T but doesn't mention anything about MHEG5 - why would they sell a television in Ireland and not provide the basic functionality of the full Saorview requirements?! How old is this telly by the way?

Anyway back to the topic in hand - on satellite when you tune in the Red Button BBC streams they will come up as STREAM-0, Stream-1, Stream-2 etc...they don't say anything like BBC stream X to easily identify them!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rob the satman

astrofluff wrote: »

Anyway back to the topic in hand - on satellite when you tune in the Red Button BBC streams they will come up as STREAM-0, Stream-1, Stream-2 etc...they don't say anything like BBC stream X to easily identify them!

You can find these by adding sat services using the following settings:

Frequency: 10773
    Polarisation to : H
    Symbol Rate to: Auto

Hope this helps!

Incorrect information

BBC streams 0 - 6 are on the following

Frequency - 12.441
    Polarization - Vertical
    Symbol Rate 27.500
    FEC 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

astrofluff wrote: »
    How old is this telly by the way?

Telly is a Panasonic tx-l42d25l (B is the UK model I think) Bought it about 6-8 weeks ago and its a 2010 model I believe
    It is really annoying that the UK version seems to be well able to do MHEG5 and this could be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade but they seem to just turn a blind eye on us here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for the correction Rob - I must have been looking at old information (off boards.ie!!! - goes to show you to look around for the latest info!!)

To see if it has MHEG5, setup a terrestrial aerial and look for good old RTE on Saorview, then go to teletext to see if its working proper.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Telly is a Panasonic tx-l42d25l (B is the UK model I think) Bought it about 6-8 weeks ago and its a 2010 model I believe
    It is really annoying that the UK version seems to be well able to do MHEG5 and this could be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade but they seem to just turn a blind eye on us here in Ireland

The UK version is indeed the B and the Freesat version as a result. The difference between the L and the B version is:

B: Has actual Freesat Software on it - i.e. 7 day epg through Freesat software so auto tuning and red button services on demand through remote and a dvb-t tuner that is crippled towards MPEG4 channels on DVB-T.

L: Has a DVB-S2 tuner on it for FTA satellite (and not the Freesat software) so now/next data only. The dvb-t tuner does allow tuning of MPEG4 ie Saorview channels but MHEG5 is not enabled. MHP the middleware used on the continent is.

Yes Panasonic were selling 2010 models that do not conform to Irish standards (published in Feb 2008) despite naming them as Irish models (L model).

Your problem: They are in the scan results of the DVB-S2 tuner - the channels are named

BBC Stream 3 0
    f.gif 68805000 5001 E
    BBC Stream 3 1
    f.gif 68815100 5101 E
    BBC Stream 3 2
    f.gif 68825200 5201 E
    BBC Stream 3 3
    f.gif 68835300 5301 E
    BBC Stream 3 4
    f.gif 68845400 5401 E
    BBC Stream 3 5
    f.gif 68855500 5501 E
    BBC Stream 3 6
    f.gif 68865600 5601 E

You can rename them I am sure or add them to a manually created favourites list such as sport or BBC streams. This is the diffrence between Freesat enabled software in the B model and the L model.

BTW. Its not that it doesnt have MHEG5 software that the RED Button doesnt work (although the Freesat menus are built on MHEG5). Its just that they sont ship that Freesat software outside the UK model.

Ok - No real luck here
    I have tried everything at this stage I think and I still cant get the streams to work.
    I have tried a manual scan on DVB-S and S2 and it wont find a thing. I have tried a full re-scan and it came up with 2 new channels as per below screen shots but they are no good as I cant select which of the 6 options I want to watch
    Any further help guys?

Am I doing something wrong

New Channels found
    imag0673u.jpg

T7-STRM-0
    imag0674.jpg

What I am scanning
    imag0675.jpg

Results
    imag0677.jpgimag0676l.jpg

I have also gone through every one of the 700 + channels that a rescan found just to check them and the BBC streams are definitely not there

What I am scanning
    imag0675.jpg

See that screen there. That is the transponder containing the stations - see the quality and strength bar - that is telling you that it sees it, so it should tune in at that stage by pressing the middle button.

BBCi Streams are the only TV stations on that transponder.

If you want you can schange the modulation to dvb-s, but it shouldnt make a diffrence.

Likewise with the SSID's (last option) you can manually enter if this helps 6880, 6881, 6882, 6883, 6884, 6885, 6886 for each individual stream but you shouldnt have to do that.

!2.441 V works differently to 11.954 H where you got the 2 T7 STRM's, those two come in no problem with a normal scan with all receivers.
    12.441 V is 'set up' differently so most receivers won't pick them up with a manual scan, the only way you will be able to get the streams on 12.441 v is if you can manually input the PID's of each stream and looking at your manual tuning menu it looks like manually inputting PID's is not supported with your 'receiver', unless you can go through all the menus and find some sort of advanced tuning/search where you can input the PID values then I'm afraid you are not going to be successful in tuning the 12.441 V streams

BBC Stream 3 0
    68805000 5001 E
    BBC Stream 3 1
    68815100 5101 E
    BBC Stream 3 2
    68825200 5201 E
    BBC Stream 3 3
    68835300 5301 E
    BBC Stream 3 4
    68845400 5401 E
    BBC Stream 3 5
    68855500 5501 E
    BBC Stream 3 6
    68865600 5601 E

The video pids end in 00 and the audio pids end in 01, for example Stream 3 0 has the video pid 5000 and the audio pid 5001

Home Run !!!

Followed STB suggestion and entered the SSID in the Service ID Field and Bobs Your Uncle - All 6 streams now up and running
    (nothing but tennis on at the moment but hopefully that will change after the weekend !)

Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

!2.441 V works differently to 11.954 H where you got the 2 T7 STRM's, those two come in no problem with a normal scan with all receivers.
    12.441 V is 'set up' differently so most receivers won't pick them up with a manual scan, the only way you will be able to get the streams on 12.441 v is if you can manually input the PID's of each stream and looking at your manual tuning menu it looks like manually inputting PID's is not supported with your 'receiver', unless you can go through all the menus and find some sort of advanced tuning/search where you can input the PID values then I'm afraid you are not going to be successful in tuning the 12.441 V streams

BBC Stream 3 0
    68805000 5001 E
    BBC Stream 3 1
    68815100 5101 E
    BBC Stream 3 2
    68825200 5201 E
    BBC Stream 3 3
    68835300 5301 E
    BBC Stream 3 4
    68845400 5401 E
    BBC Stream 3 5
    68855500 5501 E
    BBC Stream 3 6
    68865600 5601 E

The video pids end in 00 and the audio pids end in 01, for example Stream 3 0 has the video pid 5000 and the audio pid 5001

I am having the same problems with the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo.
    I have done a manual scan on both 12441 and 11954 and found nothing.
    My overall Signal strenght is 86% and signal quality is 76%.
    However, the signal strength on both 12441 and 11954 transponders are 42% and signal quality, 10%. The colour in the status bar is brown unlike the others which work are green and blue.

Any ideas?????????

I had to put in the SSID's for each stream
    Have you tried entering 6880, 6881, 6882, 6883, 6884, 6885, 6886 in to the service ID field (not sure if its similar to my menu system)
    For ages I was getting - 'no new channels found' message even though they were there all along

I had to put in the SSID's for each stream
    Have you tried entering 6880, 6881, 6882, 6883, 6884, 6885, 6886 in to the service ID field (not sure if its similar to my menu system)
    For ages I was getting - 'no new channels found' message even though they were there all along
    No, I have no SSID input on my menu.

Maybe it is needed
    I will leave this for one of the more technically accomplished posters as I might only confuse the matter!

First the basics, What is your location? It might be a silly question but it needs to be asked, is your dish pointing at 28 degrees east? what channels you getting, name some so we can tell if you have a high band problem or not, the more channels you can name the better, you probably are not getting BBC News 24 but are you getting Sky News?
    Are you using the correct Astra satellite for your search? you need to be searching Astra 2 not Astra 1, if you are searching Astra 1 then the FEC is different for those two frequencies and that would give you no signal quality and signal quality is the one you need, check if the Polarity, Symbol Rate, FEC are correct when you are scanning, 11.954 H SR 27.500 FEC 2/3, 12.441 V SR 27.500 FEC 2/3
    In the antenna set up make sure the LNB power is on and if you are only using 1 dish and 1 LNB make sure the Diseqc is set to off or disable
    Sometimes the receivers software causes glitches of all kinds including this one so as a last resort make the receiver do a factory reset/new installation this will reset the box to its original state then you can start all over again

First the basics, What is your location? It might be a silly question but it needs to be asked, is your dish pointing at 28 degrees east? what channels you getting, name some so we can tell if you have a high band problem or not, the more channels you can name the better, you probably are not getting BBC News 24 but are you getting Sky News?
    Are you using the correct Astra satellite for your search? you need to be searching Astra 2 not Astra 1, if you are searching Astra 1 then the FEC is different for those two frequencies and that would give you no signal quality and signal quality is the one you need, check if the Polarity, Symbol Rate, FEC are correct when you are scanning, 11.954 H SR 27.500 FEC 2/3, 12.441 V SR 27.500 FEC 2/3
    In the antenna set up make sure the LNB power is on and if you are only using 1 dish and 1 LNB make sure the Diseqc is set to off or disable
    Sometimes the receivers software causes glitches of all kinds including this one so as a last resort make the receiver do a factory reset/new installation this will reset the box to its original state then you can start all over again
    Many thanks for the quick response. Yes, dish pointing 28 degrees east. Scanning both Astra 2A and Eurobird 1. I am getting Sky News BBC Parliment and BBC News. It doesn't state 24 though. Are these one and the same channel. Polarity, symbol rate etc, are right. I was trying to upload a graphic for both these screens but the boards service is down.

Many thanks for the quick response. Yes, dish pointing 28 degrees east. Scanning both Astra 2A and Eurobird 1. I am getting Sky News BBC Parliment and BBC News. It doesn't state 24 though. Are these one and the same channel. Polarity, symbol rate etc, are right. I was trying to upload a graphic for both these screens but the boards service is down.
    OK, managed to upload.

Gotcha! see in 'pic 2' your antenna set up page, the LNB frequency is not correct, you need to change it to Universal 9750/10600 it's out by 50, that's why your higher 11.954 and 12.441 frequencies are showing no signal, change it then you will be scanning correctly, should be ok

BBC News is on 11.954, that's why i presumed you were not getting it as you say no signal. no worries there is only one BBC News, it's not called 24 anymore

If you scan now, the BBC streams (news multiscreen) on 11.954 should come in too with a regular scan, 12.441 is set up slightly different you would need to scan that one by looking for all/encrypted channels not just the free channels.

If you still can't scan them in/pick them up, can you come back with photos of your manual tuning menu and related sub menus

Gotcha! see in 'pic 2' your antenna set up page, the LNB frequency is not correct, you need to change it to Universal 9750/10600 it's out by 50, that's why your higher 11.954 and 12.441 frequencies are showing no signal, change it then you will be scanning correctly, should be ok

BBC News is on 11.954, that's why i presumed you were not getting it as you say no signal. no worries there is only one BBC News, it's not called 24 anymore

If you scan now, the BBC streams (news multiscreen) on 11.954 should come in too with a regular scan, 12.441 is set up slightly different you would need to scan that one by looking for all/encrypted channels not just the free channels.

If you still can't scan them in/pick them up, can you come back with photos of your manual tuning menu and related sub menus

Did exactly what you said, and Bobs Your Uncle, they streamed in, if you pardon the pun.

Thanks a lot.

Did exactly what you said, and Bobs Your Uncle, they streamed in, if you pardon the pun.

Thanks a lot.

Great stuff, glad I could help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Sorry to bump this back up but this is all I can find in a search - it may be a similar problem with the Ferguson which I found easy to set up but however there doesn't seem to be any Sky News or CNN which is annoying. The feed is coming into the apartment from the roof of the building so perhaps there is an issue there.

However I did try a manual scan with the Sky News details and it came back as no channels!

Could it be similar issue to above re LNB settings?

Any ideas?

Sorry to bump this back up but this is all I can find in a search - it may be a similar problem with the Ferguson which I found easy to set up but however there doesn't seem to be any Sky News or CNN which is annoying. The feed is coming into the apartment from the roof of the building so perhaps there is an issue there.

However I did try a manual scan with the Sky News details and it came back as no channels!

Any ideas?

scout353 wrote: »

Any ideas?

You need to be a bit more specific with what channels you are getting and what channels you are not getting, also tell us about your set up, receiver, dish, anything else like switches etc etc

scout353 wrote: »

Any ideas?

Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo ??

Sky News is one of the weakest transponders out there. Its the signal from the communal dish - get onto whoever maintains the dishes - the signal isnt strong enough.

Cheers for the replies - thought it might have something to do with the communal dish!

One other question - if the Ferguson combo is set to Astra 2 (28 E) are there other satellites that can be picked up and what channels might be on them?

I am away right now so hence my lack of specifics re exact set up etc.

Advertisement