Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sexy girls have it easy(ier)

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

im getting me a nice dress , a bit of slap and maybe a wig :rolleyes:

http://vimeo.com/12030156

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Interesting.

I've noticed this myself, when I have makeup on, hair done etc people are a lot nicer to me and a lot more helpful than when I haven't.

However, my attitude is probably a lot more different on days where I feel more confident and I'm not worrying about how if my hair is a mess or whatever, so it could be them.... Or it could be what I am projecting.

I noticed her attitude differed between her two 'characters' as well.

Still, not worth the risk, I better stick with the makeup!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

not surprising at all, however it was partly confidence as she was way more confident in the dress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

yes, but sexy girls would be ( more confident).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

mind = blown .

I am lost for words.

its a long video but just watch the first 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8&feature=feedwll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sorry, what point are you making? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

I'm sorry but the 'not sexy' version was too extreme, she looked like a homeless person who needed a good scrub. The video is very well made but her efforts are flawed as the 'sexy' her is much more flirtatious and confident and c'mon was the bum bag really necessary?!

Video aside, I agree sexy girls have it easier but only when the vendor is male or lesbian i'd imagine.

I absoloutely use this to my advantage.

Men are just too easy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Men are just too easy.

Please read the charter with regards to generalisations of either gender.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Had she dressed normally (for lack of a better word) and acted the same, there's a chance she's get the same treatment.

Saying prettier people get more based on that video is ridiculous. Confident people get more.

I'd like to see her do a video where's she's dressed in jeans, casual top and runners compared to the dressed up version, and being as persistent. We'd probably have a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Ya but its more of a confidience thing

My (sexy) mate insists on spending very little on a night out. Instead she gets guys to buy her drink. I no longer go out with her as its not my idea of a good time.

• Advertisement

People are suckers for a pretty face. I've seen this happen with hot guys as well though, so I don't think it's just about women.
    And I think it's more about confidence too. Notice with the buses Ms.Plain was "Oh, could I get on for free?" whereas Ms.Sexy just walked on. With that attitude it's easy for the driver to just assume she has an oyster card or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Men are just too easy.

Yeah but there are some of us who aren't stupid and will just tell you to jog on!

I was abused in a club once because I wouldn't order a girl a drink. She knew what she was doing and so did I.

I think it's worth noting too that men know what women are doing, but some just don't care that much and think 'ah why not'. It's not like they're being manipulated like you seem to think.

pseudonym1 wrote: »

My (sexy) mate insists on spending very little on a night out. Instead she gets guys to buy her drink. I no longer go out with her as its not my idea of a good time.

Who are these morons who willingly buy women drink all night? I don't know any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Wolflikeme, please read the forum charter and heed the ethos of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Yeah but there are some of us who aren't stupid and will just tell you to jog on!

Absolutely and it's heartening to see! :)

I have an acquaintance who tries to use her feminine wiles to get her way. Depressingly, it works a fair bit (she has a cutesy vibe going on), but happily not always, especially with men who have got to know her better. I have seen a few men :rolleyes: at her behaviour. :D
    I think it's worth noting too that men know what women are doing, but some just don't care that much and think 'ah why not'. It's not like they're being manipulated like you seem to think.

Yeah, they've just got an easy-going personality but are no fools at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greengiant09

pseudonym1 wrote: »

yeah, there's something about this behaviour that reeks of desperation and is really not attractive or noble. i mean drink isn't that expensive!...plus, would you want all the crap that comes with it. it's not a million miles away from those eejits who go round robbing other peoples drinks in clubs.....something very pathetic about it.

from a guys perspective, i really don't think i could be arsed trying to impress someone for a measly drink....

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Julybreeze wrote: »
    Video aside, I agree sexy girls have it easier but only when the vendor is male or lesbian i'd imagine.

I don't agree; I think very attractive people are better treated whether they are male or female and whether the vendor is male or female.

On another note I really need to start making an effort lol, I had no idea wearing make up and high heels could get you free chocolate! In fairness though I don't think dolled-up me gets the same attention as she gets. People can still be horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I only watched the first two segments but I'm not convinced of what she's trying to prove. I think she deliberately makes her acting far less convincing when she's 'unsexy'. On the bus she went straight up to the driver and asked could she get on for free, the second time she just walked past. Of course it's going to be easier to get on that way. Also, as another poster pointed out, when she's dressed down she looks way OTT, like she might be homeless or a bit deranged. I think this clip is saying more about class identity than gender stereotypes.

I do agree it all boils down to confidence and/or cockiness when it comes to getting what you want.

Absolutely and it's heartening to see! :)

I have an acquaintance who tries to use her feminine wiles to get her way. Depressingly, it works a fair bit (she has a cutesy vibe going on)

That 'cutesy' vibe can come across as just plain dim at times! Tell her to be careful...or not! :D

That 'cutesy' vibe can come across as just plain dim at times! Tell her to be careful...or not! :D

She actively likes coming across as dim, a bit "little girl lost". :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Truley wrote: »
    On the bus she went straight up to the driver and asked could she get on for free, the second time she just walked past. Of course it's going to be easier to get on that way.

I switched off at that point. What a load of nonsense. Of course asking a bus driver if you can ride for free will get you nowhere. While walking on with a crowd and smiling confidently at the bus driver might well mean he didn't notice you not touching your card off the reader. (Many London buses routes have no cash pay option, you must pre-pay, so the bus drivers don't always check if people touch their cards or not.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I also only watched a minute or two because it wasn't a good experiment. You can't make any real conclusions from it.

However, I do notice that in every day life. When I'm dressed up, with nice clothes and make up, people are much friendlier to me. Yesterday morning I was at the shop. I was hungover to shíte, had no make up on, and had just taken the dog for a walk in the damp so my hair looked awful and I was wearing a big windbreaker. I stopped at the butcher's counter and the young guy working there just looked through me. He looked at me standing there, and then looked to see if there was anyone else to serve first. Even though I was perfectly friendly and smiling, he barely even made eye contact. If I'd looked well, or even average, he would have been a lot friendlier.

I am very aware of it happening. It could be a confidence thing - I feel better when I look well, but either way it's not a great thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

Silly video. Why would anyone assume that they could get something for nothing? It's probable that the "hot" version of her was also refused point blank, only it wasn't shown. I'm sure she has a valid point to make, but as a social experiment, this is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

yeah, there's something about this behaviour that reeks of desperation and is really not attractive or noble. i mean drink isn't that expensive!...plus, would you want all the crap that comes with it. it's not a million miles away from those eejits who go round robbing other peoples drinks in clubs.....something very pathetic about it.

from a guys perspective, i really don't think i could be arsed trying to impress someone for a measly drink....

I think sometimes it goes beyond just wanting a free drink. They like using their "aesthetics" to prove to themselves that they have power over other people, particularly men unfortunately. It's about the ego boost and the power-trip more than the drink. They know they look good, and find it fun to prove to themselves over and over again that this can get them freebies/drinks/jobs or whatever. They have a control of sorts. I wonder what happens when they start to age...

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I wonder what happens when they start to age...

It doesn't work for them any more. Simple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

The video isn't great for evidence of this. But I do agree that sexy girls have it easier. I wear little makeup and casual clothes most of the time, unless I'm going out at night or on special occasions etc. So I notice that when I'm done up in makeup, hair done, wearing a dress etc. everybody is MUCH friendlier to me than if I wasn't dressed up.

Sad but that's the way life is I suppose!

On a similar note, I never get hit on or asked out by guys unless I'm done up, in make up etc. Although I suppose that's a separate issue and most would argue that's fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

I have actually found the opposite, I don't get hit on when I'm out and dressed up and wearing make-up, whereas I have been hit on when I'm looking a mess, hungover etc. I find people are nice regardless once I'm friendly :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence - most people tend to be more confident if they're dressed nicely, compared with when they're not.

In general, I do find people are more helpful if you're dressed better, but as for getting hit on when I'm really dressed up, I don't think that's entirely accurate for me ('tho I think it has a lot to do with the fact that when I'm on a night out, I'm generally in the company of guys, so not exactly an encouraging situation for guys to approach me). I've been asked out when wearing jeans and an ordinary top, and, more bizaarely, when wearing riding gear (helmet, jodhpurs and boots) by a guy I'd only just met - he couldn't see most of my face! :eek: That said, however, when I have been hit on quite a lot when at black tie events.

So it would appear that unless I'm dressed down or wearing a ball gown, I'm of no interest to the opposite sex! Go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

convert wrote: »
    I think a lot of it has to do with confidence -
    I think this has more to do with looking less black/immigrant when she has the make-up on? Maybe the black/asian drivers are less inclined to refuse a 'white' girl's request for a free trip? Or maybe she looks more middle-class and respectable wearing the make-up and the drivers don't want to offend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I think she knew what she wanted her end result to be when she started her "experiment" so didn't try the same way as the "not sexy" her as with the "sexy" her. It would have been better to make the point of how people treat you differently if you're confident/not confident (and to be honest she seemed to be fliting to get what she wanted [as proved by how she got asked out, along with her free cake]). All in all, pretty pointless video- if you're not going to subject the two options to the same conditions, it's not worth doing an experiment

Science is fun :pac:

Advertisement