Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom free upgrade

Options
  • 16-05-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody got there free complementary Eircom speed upgrade yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Not yet anyway.. They said in the next few weeks in the letter, but a more accurate timeframe would be nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

I have Eircom NGB broadband in Dublin City Centre,

I was on the up to 8Mb package and I always got 800KB a sec download (full potential of the line)

Got that letter the other day too, said they were moving me to 24Mb package,

So I just called Eircom Customer service, and asked them about it and the nice lady said I didn't have to wait and said she'd switch me straight away.

So now I have 16Mb (max my line can take)

I'm getting download speeds of 1.5 Megabytes a second and upload of about 100K a second (16Mb down 1Mb up)

Very pleased, she told me I would've switched over automatically eventually but thanks to her she switched me instantly.

Hope this helps,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I signed up about 2 months ago on the NGB website to be notified by email when my line was transferred over to NGB. I was transferred over about 2 weeks ago (checked my line stats a few times in the modem) but I only just got the email notification today. It would seem that even their automated systems may not be the quickest so I probably won't see this free upgrade for another week or two unless I ring them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

johnwoods wrote: »
    I have Eircom NGB broadband in Dublin City Centre,

I was on the up to 8Mb package and I always got 800KB a sec download (full potential of the line)

Got that letter the other day too, said they were moving me to 24Mb package,

So I just called Eircom Customer service, and asked them about it and the nice lady said I didn't have to wait and said she'd switch me straight away.

So now I have 16Mb (max my line can take)

I'm getting download speeds of 1.5 Megabytes a second and upload of about 100K a second (16Mb down 1Mb up)

Very pleased, she told me I would've switched over automatically eventually but thanks to her she switched me instantly.

Hope this helps,
    An 8Mb line should give you 1,000 KB/s download.

1Mb/s = 125KB/s. Note the lower case b.
    I get about 850KB/s on my 8Mb line.

Sorry, but I just like being a pedantic dick. :)

Anyway, nice to know that ringing them gets it done instantly. I've been waiting for 2 weeks now to get the bump from 8 to 12 they promised me. Not that I'm expecting anything near 12, but it would be nice to get 10.

Anyway, my question to those in the know is will the Netopia 3347NWG handle that speed?
    I refuse to use that piece of crap Zyxel one they are currently giving away.
    I'm willing to wait an extra few minutes for downloads if it's a choice between the Zyxel and 3347NWG.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would seem UPC have Eircom running scared. I'm Lovin' it!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Terry wrote: »
    Anyway, my question to those in the know is will the Netopia 3347NWG handle that speed?
    I'm willing to wait an extra few minutes for downloads if it's a choice between the Zyxel and 3347NWG.

According to this it will with the right firmware version. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Anyone else try to update the firmware and get File update failed. Click here to go back to previous page?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

1 Mb/s = 125 kb/s. Note the lower case k and b. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I just got a Zyxel one in the post to replace my broken Netopia. What exactly is wrong with it? You've got me afraid to plug it in now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Anyway, nice to know that ringing them gets it done instantly. I've been waiting for 2 weeks now to get the bump from 8 to 12 they promised me. Not that I'm expecting anything near 12, but it would be nice to get 10.

Just to add to that unnecessary pedanticism, but eircom do indeed supply up to 8 mbps through DSL. The problem is some of that is lost to overheads in PPPoE and the like. The maximum download speed through http is generally about 106KB/s multiplied by whatever number of mb/s your line is connected at. The full "8 mbps" leaves you with download speeds of up to 848kB/s:)

One can get a small speed boost of maybe up to 1% by changing the DSL connection's MTU to 1454 instead of the maximum of 1492 for PPPoE. It's more efficient due to quirks of PPPoE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I have just gotten off the phone to broadband support; there is no need to update the firmware on the router(Eircom does it for you) or to change over to the new brand router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Sent Eircom an email asking for more details on dates and all they would say is that it's taking place between May 10 and mid-June.

BOZG wrote: »
    ... mid-June.

read: late July ;-)

read: late July ;-)

Wouldn't be surprised. I might try johnwoods tactic but need to get my housemate to call as the bill is in her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Just wondering if anybody got there free complementary Eircom speed upgrade yet?

Yes. Mine was upgraded today. 8160/512 to
    12284(Kbps) / 670(Kbps)

Getting about 1.24MB/s sustained download from ftp.esat.net

1311798024.png

Could I ask what part of the country you're from hbr? Just so I know if upgrades are happening in my area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Could I ask what part of the country you're from hbr? Just so I know if upgrades are happening in my area!

Cork City. Mahon exchange.

hbr wrote: »
    Cork City. Mahon exchange.

I'm in Ballyphehane on Quaker Road exchange. Maybe I'll be switched soon. Thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got my letter over 3 weeks ago now and no sign of an upgrade yet.

Alun wrote: »
    I got my letter over 3 weeks ago now and no sign of an upgrade yet.

Customer Service are suggesting it could be mid-June before roll out finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Customer Service are suggesting it could be mid-June before roll out finishes.
    Thing is though I'm pretty sure the switchover in the exchange has already happened. I had an outage during the day just before the letter arrived, which righted itself the next day, but with better upstream and downstream SNRM values and a much flatter SNR/frequency graph, and I'm pretty sure the remote vendor id changed too (is now Broadcom but was Alcatel I think) so I'm thinking that I was put on another line card, presumably ADSL2+, in advance. I'm still syncing at G.DMT (ADSL1) so I guess now all someone has to do is throw an (albeit virtual) switch to switch me over to ADSL2+.

@Eircom:Tony .. any chance you could check what the status is if I PM you my phone number?

Alun wrote: »
    Thing is though I'm pretty sure the switchover in the exchange has already happened. I had an outage during the day just before the letter arrived, which righted itself the next day, but with better upstream and downstream SNRM values and a much flatter SNR/frequency graph, and I'm pretty sure the remote vendor id changed too (is now Broadcom but was Alcatel I think) so I'm thinking that I was put on another line card, presumably ADSL2+, in advance. I'm still syncing at G.DMT (ADSL1) so I guess now all someone has to do is throw an (albeit virtual) switch to switch me over to ADSL2+.

@Eircom:Tony .. any chance you could check what the status is if I PM you my phone number?

I think they first physically upgrade your exchange to NGB, improving the line stats etc and enabling your line for the new rates. This happened a few weeks ago for me, and immediately the upload rate increased (and the Eircom NGB usage meter started working).

The free 24mb upgrade is a separate matter though (it's a promotion), so I assume they have to manually change your account settings somewhere and this probably happens much later.

Still, I got that letter a good 3 weeks ago at this stage, I would have thought they would have gotten around to it by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

I think they first physically upgrade your exchange to NGB, improving the line stats etc and enabling your line for the new rates. This happened a few weeks ago for me, and immediately the upload rate increased (and the Eircom NGB usage meter started working).

The free 24mb upgrade is a separate matter though (it's a promotion), so I assume they have to manually change your account settings somewhere and this probably happens much later.

Still, I got that letter a good 3 weeks ago at this stage, I would have thought they would have gotten around to it by now!

Guys, if you recieved a letter re upgrade to 24Mb and dont feel like waiting you can contact 1901 and be moved over!!

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Guys, if you recieved a letter re upgrade to 24Mb and dont feel like waiting you can contact 1901 and be moved over!!

Does that mean signing up to another 12 month contract though? If I remember correctly, that was the case with UPC when they bumped their speeds up to 30Mb a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Does that mean signing up to another 12 month contract though? If I remember correctly, that was the case with UPC when they bumped their speeds up to 30Mb a few years ago.

Hi

This is a free upgrade to 24Mb Ultimate so there will not be a new 12 month contract involved. If you are within contract this will simply carry on with the remaining term. If you are not within contract, you will remain out of contract ... this is the case regardless of whether you wait to be migrated or if you request it yourself.

.... If you sign up for some other promotion (in addition to the 24Mb upgrade) at the same at a promotional price then you'll trigger a new contract but if you're just upgrading your BB to 24Mb Ultimate and retaining whatever bundle you may have then no new contract. I hope that makes sense!?!

B

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi

This is a free upgrade to 24Mb Ultimate so there will not be a new 12 month contract involved. If you are within contract this will simply carry on with the remaining term. If you are not within contract, you will remain out of contract ... this is the case regardless of whether you wait to be migrated or if you request it yourself.

.... If you sign up for some other promotion (in addition to the 24Mb upgrade) at the same at a promotional price then you'll trigger a new contract but if you're just upgrading your BB to 24Mb Ultimate and retaining whatever bundle you may have then no new contract. I hope that makes sense!?!

B

Yeah, makes sense but just wondering where you got that info from. When UPC increased their line speeds a few years back, whenever they introduced 30Mb, that definitely wasn't the case. If you wanted to wait until they implemented the upgrade, your contract remained as it was which I assume is legally obliged but if you requested to be upgraded sooner than planned, they forced you into another 12 month contract. And I assume that they're legally entitled to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 capadoNNa-

received the free upgrade letter on the 3rd of may and still waiting

uhm, will my router 2247NWG-VGx manage the up to 24mb speed?

oh and should i update the software
    7.6.0r3 no clue if this is old or new...

cmon eircom co clare needs you

capadoNNa- wrote:
    received the free upgrade letter on the 3rd of may and still waiting

uhm, will my router 2247NWG-VGx manage the up to 24mb speed?

oh and should i update the software 7.6.0r3 no clue if this is old or new...

cmon eircom co clare needs you

Are you being upgraded to the full 24Mb? Most people are being put on to the 24Mb package but will get nowhere near that speed. My letter said they were increasing me to 15Mb.

http://support.eircom.net/images/suppimages/nta770r6.bin is the newer firmware for your model. I don't think your firmware will handle ADSL2+ speeds so you should definitely update. With that, everything should be ok I think but if not, Eircom are due to send out newer modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 capadoNNa-

Are you being upgraded to the full 24Mb? Most people are being put on to the 24Mb package but will get nowhere near that speed. My letter said they were increasing me to 15Mb.

http://support.eircom.net/images/suppimages/nta770r6.bin is the newer firmware for your model. I don't think your firmware will handle ADSL2+ speeds so you should definitely update. With that, everything should be ok I think but if not, Eircom are due to send out newer modems.

thanks for the download link, successfully updated. the letter states that they will upgrade me to ngb ultimate (up to 24mb)

• Advertisement

capadoNNa- wrote: »
    thanks for the download link, successfully updated. the letter states that they will upgrade me to ngb ultimate (up to 24mb)

Nice. Must be close to an exchange then.

Advertisement