Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail install new boundary along Newcastle/Kilcoole line (Wicklow)

Options
  • 04-04-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

I've enjoyed cycling a trail that runs alongside the rosslare line between Kilcoole and Newcastle for many years. This weekend I arrive to find most of it is now behind a new boundary that Irish rail had put up during the week :mad:. Apart from looking completely crap, its only going to encourage people to walk on the inside section of the rope as thats where the path is. Who makes these decisions, I was talking to the lads still working on it and they said planning is not needed?
    02042011880.jpg
    02042011878.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Perhaps they safety concerns?

They could put up a pallisade fence that would spoil the amenity or they can do something lo-fi that shows the boundary and deter people from walking in close proximity of the track. I've walked that "wall" in the photo - the condition is very variable along the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I spent the best part of twenty years birdwatching in this area and I can tell you that if I still did that fence would be cut down every time I visited. People need to make a stand. :mad:

That railway has been running along there for 150 years or more and now it has suddenly becoming necessary to fence it off -ffs!!! I'm not talking about the rope fence or whatever but they are obviously intending to extend the existing new fence from the Wicklow direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

I walked the Newcastle to Greystones section a year or two ago while the anti-erosion works were going on (diggers working with rocks re-enforcing sea barriers etc). The construction guys had signs up saying "walkers turn back" "no access" etc. I just kept walking. Met an IÉ guy who told me to ignore the signs, that there was a right of way, and just to wave to the guys in the diggers so they'd see me and not squish me. Did as much.
    I can understand them wanting to keep people off the railway, but the only way along the coast is by using the railway bridges in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A friend of mine who works on Permanent Way teams told me that there was to be work on some of the pathway soon; perhaps H+S eejits insist on it being cordoned off lest people get hurt etc. Rather silly if it's the case TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I doubt the rope fence will last very long. On a visit to the beach yesterday, some of the poles had already been pulled up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

stop wrote: »
    I can understand them wanting to keep people off the railway, but the only way along the coast is by using the railway bridges in places.
    If the only way along the coast was a motorway bridge would you use that?

The two railway bridges on the stretch between Wicklow and Greystones have adequate boarded footwalks (?) and in the case of that at The Breaches there is visbility for miles in either direction. This is just more CIE/IE dicking about in an area of important ecological/recreational interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

A friend of mine who works on Permanent Way teams told me that there was to be work on some of the pathway soon; perhaps H+S eejits insist on it being cordoned off lest people get hurt etc. Rather silly if it's the case TBH
    Liability is probably not "silly". Whose property is it anyhow? Last I recall, if it's railway property, then putting foot or cycle on it is trespassing and thereby an offence that puts one liable to prosecution. Funny that people demand this as though it's their right, and think to have a world-class railway service at the same time...if the trains ran at 200 km/h through this stretch (yes, it's technologically feasible no matter what the self-professed railway fanatics claim), would we be demanding our "path" as well?

CIE wrote: »
    Liability is probably not "silly". Whose property is it anyhow? Last I recall, if it's railway property, then putting foot or cycle on it is trespassing and thereby an offence that puts one liable to prosecution. Funny that people demand this as though it's their right, and think to have a world-class railway service at the same time...if the trains ran at 200 km/h through this stretch (yes, it's technologically feasible no matter what the self-professed railway fanatics claim), would we be demanding our "path" as well?

as you can see in my photo, the new boundard extends anywhere from 2 metres to 5 metres from the track, who decided the ownership of the line extended that far? And as I said already as most people stroll along the breakwater blocks, they'll be inside the rope boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Nice overreaction CIE. Did you miss the reference to a right-of-way? Obviously higher separation requirements would require adjustments to the RoW if speeds were increased.

JD - wasn't aware there were boardwalks on the bridges, which presumably are a continuation of said RoW?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

as you can see in my photo, the new boundary extends anywhere from 2 metres to 5 metres from the track, who decided the ownership of the line extended that far? And as I said already as most people stroll along the breakwater blocks, they'll be inside the rope boundary.
    The railway has been there for how long now? Since 1855? It ought to be clear for the 156 years of this railway's operation (including relocations due to coastal erosion) where the actual boundary is, even if it's necessary to get the boundary documents via FOIA means.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    Did you miss the reference to a right-of-way? Obviously higher separation requirements would require adjustments to the RoW if speeds were increased
    The "reference" was an anecdote, never mind the second-hand anecdotes being rather conflicting. And what adjustments? The track appears to be in sufficient condition for 100-mph running, and mini-CTC has been active on that section for three years AFAIR; besides, the trains don't exactly crawl down that direction as things stand.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Nice overreaction CIE. Did you miss the reference to a right-of-way? Obviously higher separation requirements would require adjustments to the RoW if speeds were increased.

JD - wasn't aware there were boardwalks on the bridges, which presumably are a continuation of said RoW?

Well in the case of The Breaches bridge, depending on the tide and what condition the sea has left the beach in, crossing the railway bridge is often the only way of continuing north or south. It's hard to explain but if you had walked the route you would understand. In all my years walking between Wicklow and Greystones I rarely saw people walking near the track - why would you when it's far easier to stick to the well trodden path or hop from block to block along the coastal defences. Any attempting to fence this area should be resisted. The only places where any danger might arise are at the accommodation crossings at Kilcoole and Newcastle and that can't be helped.

CIE wrote: »

Funny that people should think they have a right to walk along the foreshore without being caged in. It's a wonder CIE/IE haven't erected their beloved pallisade fencing along both sides of the line.

PS Where's this world class rail service you refer to? :rolleyes:

CIE, whats with the hostile posting? As for the new rope boundary, the guys putting it up described it as Irish rail putting it there to test the water for objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Thank god tourism and transport have been put in the same department they might realise the potential of the railway corridors for this:

New Picture.bmp

Irish rail haven't got a bloody clue about tourism and what people want - I have walked the line from Greystones to Kilcoole on several occasions - it is an idea walk - the pic above shows what can be done, but we have no imagination.

Just cut the bloody fence down.

I will be packing my wire cutters the next time I walk the path. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Photos please.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

When I see this I can only think back on the case in Limerick where some gouger went scutting on a cement (bubble) train, fell off and sued. IE got hammered as being liable because there was a wee bit of unfenced area near a level crossing in Ballinacurra .

That was an incredibly wrong decision seeing as junior was trespassing but this must be at the back of the mind of the IE heads.

It looks like a lovely walk.

Was that what happened to your back Des? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yer man lost a leg (or part thereof) David.

• Advertisement

Advocating criminal damage now, are we? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

parsi wrote: »
    When I see this I can only think back on the case in Limerick where some gouger went scutting on a cement (bubble) train, fell off and sued. IE got hammered as being liable because there was a wee bit of unfenced area near a level crossing in Ballinacurra .

That was an incredibly wrong decision seeing as junior was trespassing but this must be at the back of the mind of the IE heads.

It looks like a lovely walk.

This is 100% the reason. People want unimpeded access to the area in or around the railway and yet if something happens when they are there they are scrambling about looking to sue IE.

Once again, another case of people wanting things both ways when it comes to IE.

Well I don't think that many people are going to be scutting on freight trains on the Greystones/Wicklow section - are they? How many incidents have there been on this stretch of line - none as far as I know. It is an area of high amenity value and, indeed, the whole coastal plain between Greystones and Wicklow should have long ago been given National Park status. Instead, the Wicklow industrial estate has been allowed to sprawl northwards towards Broad Lough. And. yes. Losty I am advocating law breaking if that's what it takes to protect this area of commonage. :p

The main issue for me is why they didn't just place the rope in a continuous line along the stone embankment, instead of zig-zag style, hence ruining the cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stringman

It has nothing to do with the railway. Bird watch Ireland rope off the beach every year to stop people walking on the little tern nests in the stones, have beeen doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stringman wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the railway. Bird watch Ireland rope off the beach every year to stop people walking on the little tern nests in the stones, have beeen doing it for years.

A simple notice on location to that effect would help immensely I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stringman

They are prob only getting set up, they usually have a little caravan that wardons live in, and they fill in passers by. May and June are the main period of nesting, so I recon there prob just getting organised.

A simple notice on location to that effect would help immensely I reckon

Stupid idea; sure birds can't read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Stringman wrote: »
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Portals/0/pdfs/Little_Tern_poster.pdf

According to this they put up an electric fence to keep predators out. They usually have the area covered in signs, even a chalkboard with updates on how all the nests are doing.

• Advertisement

its not the annual little tern cordon which is located on both sides adjacent to the breeches.

Advertisement