Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading on a bike trip to France!! :-D

Options
  • 18-03-2011 11:06am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Next month me and a mate are getting the boat to France - we have a few friends down south around Nice, so taking the bikes over and going to ride around the place for a week - really looking forward to it! I have never really done any proper tours before so just wondering if you guys have any tips?

8 Days in total, just under 1000 miles each way. Considering my bike only does 120 miles between refuelling that's a lot of stops! Going to get down to Nice as fast as possible as we've plenty to see and do down there. Going to pack pretty light I think, we won't need to much for a week. Might get some panniers but not sure might just take a backpack. Are there any other things I will need? Weather should be good, not too hot in April/May.

Anyone done this type of thing before?
    Colly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

get a tank bag next week in Lidl.
    also get tyre weld.
    maybe get a service in,
    get oil filters, air filter and breaks checked and or changed.

Fill up on premium unleaded for the first major leg of the journey.
    when i went to london last year I filled up with premium and for some reason the bike seemed to run alot smoother for the whole journey.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Zascar wrote: »
    Next month me and a mate are getting the boat to France - we have a few friends down south around Nice, so taking the bikes over and going to ride around the place for a week - really looking forward to it! I have never really done any proper tours before so just wondering if you guys have any tips?

8 Days in total, just under 1000 miles each way. Considering my bike only does 120 miles between refuelling that's a lot of stops! Going to get down to Nice as fast as possible as we've plenty to see and do down there. Going to pack pretty light I think, we won't need to much for a week. Might get some panniers but not sure might just take a backpack. Are there any other things I will need? Weather should be good, not too hot in April/May.

Anyone done this type of thing before?
    Colly

IMO a backpack is a bummer on long trips wears you down in no time tank bag and panniers with a pack on the rear seat.

Tool kit a must have with basic first aid (if ya cut yer finger a plaster can stop the bleeding or you can bleed all over the place while riding to the nearest garage/shop)

It can get wet and cold in April through France so wet gear and warm gear a must hence the baggage space.

Shades and spare visor.

Don't do as my mate did set off with a black visor and get off the friggin ferry in the dark trying to drive on motorways with the visor up not recomended - fruggin muppet you should've seen his eyes the next couple o days we called him mixi (as in miximitosis/myxomatosis rabbit disease) for the trip :D

As R said service, poss new tyres and thorough check over afore ya set off.

Fit a scotoiler if ya have'nt got one

A couple of the bike mags keep redoing the France/Europe checklist thing every year got on to visordown, etc and get yourself a comprehensive doc's an all checklist.

Looky Bar Steward

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Originals & copies of: D/licence, insurance & registration cert.

Passport, E111 card & travel insurance - Blue do good deals & include biking in allowed activities

Bicycle cable lock to secure brain bucket to bike when you go walkabout.

Travel as light as you can, the shirt you wear tonight will do on the bike tomorrow..

Spare bulbs & first aid kit - legal requirement in France.

Headlight adjustment tape if you intend riding at night

Tools - 8, 10, 12 & 13mm spanners, dual screwdriver & allen keys or at the minimum a bunch of cable ties & small roll duct tape - 'cos you just never know!

Phone & camera charger, stick map in tankbag & away you go!:D

You'd be mad to use a backpack, it will kill you after a few days. Proper luggage is the way to go, for comfort, convenience & security. At minimum sports bag in bin liner bungeed to pillion seat.

Fill up Saturday evening, petrol stations off the beaten track can be problematic in France on Sundays.

Enjoy, there's nothing in the world like your first trip away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Cheap foam earplugs. (lots of them)

They make a big difference when doing big miles on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Bykobap

Last year i went from Drogheda via Rosslare-France-Italy-Croatia to Serbia on my Yamaha Neos 49cc and back through Hungary-Austria-Germany-France.
    13 days on the road, 12 hours-500km of :cool: nearly every day. 5600km in total.
    Avoid motorways if you can and try not to over plan for it takes away from the whole experience in my opinion.
    Petrol stations are rare in France so a spare canister wouldn't be a bad idea and they tend to close early 6-7-8 pm.
    I slept on the public benches along the way no bother, the budget was tight. Mcdonalds in France has a free WiFi.
    Do see Normandy if you can, Omaha beach and that.
    Try and enjoy it, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I would second all the above advice. I used to live in Nice and have biked there and back a few times. Comfort is king. No backpack. Strap it to the seat if needs be. Lidl tankbag isn't up to much. Ensure you place a soft cloth under the tank bag to prtect your paint. Petrol is expensive even by our standards and motorways are really tiring unless you have a lot of ccs under your ass. (I've done it both ways, by Vespas and on a blackbird) the national routes are much nicer and save money on tolls and petrol, you will eat far better. I usually headed for la flèche on day 1 then on to Avignon the next day and you can arrive fresh on the med the next morning with only one days hard riding. It's better to plan your overnight rather than pushing on to wind up spending the night in a dump. Find the railway station in any small town and get a room in a bar or cafe for very little money. Usually kinda quirkey but interesting. Forget about maximum miles and enjoy the ride down. The road from St Raphael to vengtimiglia in Italy is a must. Take the moyenne corniche out of nice up over Monaco it's less crowded. Coast road to St raph via theoule and back through the woods and arriere pays is one of the best rides in Europe. For a day trip it's a magic ride up to the col de la bonnette. Highest road in europe. Easily done In day from nice, but check the forecast and bring warm clothes. If you have a carbed bike you may have to adjust slightly for altitude. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

One thing that is very important is that you must let the bike carry the weight.
    Don't put a backpack on your back - put it on the rear seat with bunge cords.

And foot powder.
    Your feet sweat a lot on those long days. The correct foot powder will keep them dry.
    Ask at your local chemist if they can recomend a decent foot powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

From the list stuff mentioned so far you better take the car!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Bykobap wrote: »
    Last year i went from Drogheda via Rosslare-France-Italy-Croatia to Serbia on my Yamaha Neos 49cc and back through Hungary-Austria-Germany-France. 13 days on the road, 12 hours-500km of :cool: nearly every day. 5600km in total.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unbelievable!! Fair play to you!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies guys :) I just got a service from Bert in RPM in Tallaght, really sound bloke and gave me a great deal too. I'm going to borrow some panniers from a mate and not bother with a backpack. My tank is carbon so I need a non-magnetic tank bag. They seem pretty dam expensive though!

One thing I forgot: I'm insured with Quinn. I have breakdown cover but does anyone if it includes, or can be extended to include overseas? I assume my insurance already does, they said I was fine to go to the Isle of Man last year anyway.

I've planned out two possible maps: http://goo.gl/maps/QeLq - http://goo.gl/maps/PJiB - not sure which route to take. I'm told there are a lot of toll roads on the motorways in France and they can get very very expensive. Not sure which routes have them though I'd prefer to take slightly longer to get there on smaller roads with better scenery etc. Sitting at 120km for sever hours on the go on my bike will not be much fun really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

it's useful to have a credit card with you in case you need fuel and the only one is an unmanned station. This happened to me late on a sunday evening as i rode across france solo to meetup with some friends and i was down to fumes. Luckily I had the wifes card with me and after some help from local riders to show me what to do i got fuel. It's the simple things that can catch you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bring your summer and winter gloves. Nothing better than when you're on a long drive when it gets too hot to be able to change to your lighter gloves and vice versa.

I've done one big tour, and if i'm going on another one i'm booking my accommodation in advance so you have targets to get to each day. I didn't do that and you can spend a long time looking for a place with vacancies. Pain in the hole if you just want to stop driving, it's raining, late and you're arse is sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

positron wrote: »

Yes, agreed, unbelievable. F*ck Ewan McGregor, that's a serious trip.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

If you are driving to Nice, drive through the Verdon Gorge. It's spectacular and a haven for bikers. As soon as I came home I started making plans for bike touring based on that one spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Good advice here ......be very careful about the petrol stations ,almost ran out of petrol last easter near Normandy .....some stations are card only .....then there are those that are card only ,but not chip and pin. I agree with the poster who says to book accom in advacne .One of my travelling buddies starts to get edgy if we havent got somewhere booked ,and if not will start looking at midday !! ...not a recipie for covering much mileage .

Having said that ,France is a wonderful place to bike in .....an off again this easter (60 year old bike .....plenty of spares ,and a few prayers)

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Bykobap

positron wrote: »

I kept talking to her through out the trip, she never felt lazy or squealed on me. I was promising her a spark plug since Serbia. Bought her for e360, 05 reg. When i saw the Alps i felt inferior, she ate it no bother to her. OP, French do speak English but in French though, from my experience anyway. Priceless trip really. Would post pics but i am too lazy to find out how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doc crock

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    If you are driving to Nice, drive through the Verdon Gorge. It's spectacular and a haven for bikers. As soon as I came home I started making plans for bike touring based on that one spot!!

Lots of good advice here but spuds is so true ! Been through the Gorge on the bike and is just fantastic!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

doc crock wrote: »
    Lots of good advice here but spuds is so true ! Been through the Gorge on the bike and is just fantastic!!!! :D

He can thank me afterwards!!! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies guys! Getting all organised now, have a few things to buy like earplugs and summer gloves too. Got some panniers which fit great, might try to find another that will go on either the back -on top of the panniers, or on the tank.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Verdon Gorge - looks incredible! We're going to be heading to nice first, then to another place part Marseille, and then on to Montpellier. If there are any other places that would be worth visiting please let me know!

Two things I have not yet done are travel insurance and breakdown cover. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Two things I have not yet done are travel insurance and breakdown cover. Any recommendations?

For travel insurance, try:
    http://www.blueinsurance.ie/
    Just make sure that you select grade 3 for Hazardous Activities - this covers you for Motor bike riding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Make sure you apply for your European health insurance card which replaced the E111. It's free to apply for. www.ehic.ie. It's essential for a trip like this

Also don't forget the headlight adjustment tape. Legal requirement in France.

Thanks, any idea where I get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Breakdown cover
    this should be included with your insurance policy ,if its not ,change insurers .I am with AON and before i head off ,I call them (as required ) and tell them which country I am going to . There is no charge for this ,but be sure to put the contact number in your phone , and keep a ptotocopy of your policy.

....oh and take your time , enjoy the sceenery ,touring should be just that ,touring ....any faster and its just racing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You might have some joy in Halfords. I think they sell them for cars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know Brittany ferries usually have them in their shop onboard.

doc crock wrote: »
    I am definitely going there, looks incredible, thanks spudmonkey!

Also going to go see the Millau Viaduct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

lucky fecker. Wish I was heading off. Have to wait until August then going over for 10 days though :)

Do report back on what you've seen and any interesting bits. Last time I was over I camped down the west coast and hoteled up the midlands as far as Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭varadero

Hi there, i done round trip of france 2 years ago, czech rep this year i think, ive full set of givi panniers for sale if you or anyone else is interested, 250 euro, proper topbox too,the rack i have is for sv1000 but you can get givi rack for nearly all bikes, check out Formula 1 hotels, room to sleep 3 for thirty euro if your on a budget, they are all over france, good set of oilskins for over your leathers or cordura, 2 piece best , far easier and quicker to pull on than i piece, 0879923679 is my number if you need any more info or advice, regards paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Enjoy the trip Zascar, it sounds like a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Enjoy.
    (And watch when riding the fast lane in France for German drivers, they come up on you at savage speeds)

Jammy bastad !!! :pac:

Advertisement