Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas to Citywest

Options
  • 10-03-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Has this been completed yet?

If not, any idea when it will be completed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Has this been completed yet?

If not, any idea when it will be completed?
    Still says "July 2011" on whatever web site you bring up. Costs enough, at €37.5 million per kilometre (that's a whopping €60 million per mile). Don't forget that the initial Luas system opening was delayed for a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Test track running starts in the next few weeks, the line will be open June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was out there last week. There are still gaps in the overhead electrical wiring and they still have to do the signaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Thieves have been stealing the copper. They've had to install cameras the length of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Latest update: the overhead wires will be powered on tomorrow:

http://www.luas.ie/citywest-installation-of-the-electrical-systems.html

• Advertisement

More.

Last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Don't suppose anyone has any snaps of the Saggart stop? I'm interested to see how the terminus is laid out and how any possible extension might be laid out, since NTA apparently has notions of extending to Greenogue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mgmt wrote: »
    Thieves have been stealing the copper. They've had to install cameras the length of the line.

It appears that the camera`s failed to prevent the ongoing thievery and have been supplemented with humanoid security on a 24/7 basis...although at €37.5 Mil per K I`m sure it`ll be fully accounted for... :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Any reason for the use of slabtrack? I note that there is also extensive use of it on the Green line extension.

Slab track is easier to maintain and provides people with fewer rocks to throw at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

dowlingm wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone has any snaps of the Saggart stop? I'm interested to see how the terminus is laid out and how any possible extension might be laid out, since NTA apparently has notions of extending to Greenogue

Here is the railway order drawing if that's any use. This may be hepful too (:

Seems to end pretty close (and perpendicular) to the golf course, hard to say where it would go on from there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Sharp turn north (i.e. upside down on these drawings :rolleyes: ) just past the new 120kV line I think, but still tricky to go much farther without a tunnel somewhere. Bit of a ridiculous dogleg though and a tight squeeze to get to the N7, NTA must be delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Luas is fundamentally pretty slow. The benefit of extending existing lines further out of the city is small unless they interchange with faster Metro/Dart at some stage.

Look at Munich for a great example of how an underground network was overlaid on an existing tram network to shorten journey times and relieve congestion.

http://mvv-muenchen.de/web4archiv/objects/download/vlp11stadt.pdf (830KB)

Blue=Underground
    Red=Tram
    Green=Suburban rail
    [Orange=Express buses
    Turquoise=Ordinary buses]

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

They have now removed all the barriers (it is ok to walk on the track) so I'm guessing it is near completion. Anybody would have a accurate date for the go live?

They have now removed all the barriers (it is ok to walk on the track) so I'm guessing it is near completion. Anybody would have a accurate date for the go live?

Gauge run takes place on April 07th.

As I mentioned before the gauge run is in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

What is a gauge run exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is a gauge run exactly?

Checking that the tracks are the correct distance apart the entire length of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

CIE wrote: »
    Still says "July 2011" on whatever web site you bring up. Costs enough, at €37.5 million per kilometre (that's a whopping €60 million per mile). Don't forget that the initial Luas system opening was delayed for a year...

Didnt Mansfield Citywest hotel not put money into this (before he went bust)
    Live close by will get some photos of saggart stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ran today seemingly
    The latest extension to Dublin's transport network has been given a test run by Transport Minister Leo Varadkar.

The Citywest Luas extension is due to open this summer, with five stops serving commuters from Belgard to Saggart in west Co Dublin.

It is estimated that from July two million extra passenger journeys will be made every year on the line, which already runs between Connolly Station and Tallaght.

Mr Varadkar said continued investment in transport projects would create construction jobs and improve competitiveness.

"It is estimated that 15,000 jobs are created for every €1bn invested in capital projects, and that the economic return for every €1 invested can be as much as €2 or even €2.50," he said.

"I have already directed that funds not used by the NRA on new projects this year should be identified and diverted to repairing badly damaged secondary national, regional and local roads.

"These measures will result in hundreds of contracts, mainly for small, local firms this year. And they will boost confidence locally."

The Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) said the 4.2km extension to its light rail link will deliver top quality public transport services to established communities and help develop the Citywest business area.

The €150m project will take passengers from Saggart to the city centre in approximately 55 minutes.

Elsewhere Mr Varadkar told a construction conference in Dun Laoghaire there will be a comprehensive review of capital spending with a view to developing a new National Development Plan for 2012.

"When it is agreed by Cabinet it will give certainty to the industry and agencies about which projects are going ahead in the next six years and which are not," he added.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/test-run-for-latest-luas-extension-2613759.html

Seems the line doesn't run to the Point anymore either? Quality Journalism there

What do you expect from the Indo? :)

In any case, the service patterns are expected to be Connolly-Saggart and The Point-Tallaght, so they aren't completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

oharach wrote: »
    Luas is fundamentally pretty slow

Quicker to cycle into town than use the red line

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oharach wrote: »
    Luas is fundamentally pretty slow.

for the more outlying places certainly. 145 from cherrywood vs luas, 145 is at least 10 mins quicker, only the increased frequency helps the luas outside of rush hour times over the bus for that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Anyone know an exact date for the Citywest line to start or the timetable?

It had been hoped for May, but that seems to have slipped to June. Between now and then its mostly driver training, making sure everything works and a few last minute items like the ticket machines.

Timetable should be similar to the rest of the Red Line, but most trams will be shuttles between Saggart and Belgard.

Photo (large image) shows test tram at Fortunestown stop last week.

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Anyone know an exact date for the Citywest line to start or the timetable?

Early July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

for the more outlying places certainly. 145 from cherrywood vs luas, 145 is at least 10 mins quicker, only the increased frequency helps the luas outside of rush hour times over the bus for that run.

It usually takes the 145 20 minutes to get from UCD to the north end of Stephen's green, and longer at peak times. The Luas journey takes 40 minutes from start to finish. I find it difficult to believe that the bus can travel from UCD to cherrywood in 10 minutes. The printed timetable gives the 145 an hour to make the off peak journey to the city from Kilmacanogue, which is probably close enough.

I agree that the red line is pretty slow though, but since most Tallaght buses take a trip around the world on their way to town, it still beats the like of the 49 and 77 very easily.

Advertisement