Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2011

Options
  • 09-03-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

How are the "regular marathon" folk getting on with training. I see the Ultra mentor support log but talk of the 26.2 marathon is virtually zero from what I can see.

So how are you progressing?

Me? Well I have had a tough fortnight :( I had a stomach bug a couple of weeks back and I reckon I'm only just getting rid of the last of it from my system. I feel fine on regular day to day stuff, but up till maybe the last 3 days I had nothing in my legs. The last few runs I have felt real good. As for LSR's I have done some 14's ,15, 18, 20x1, 23x1(i got lost:( )
    Last week I only ran 13miles in total as I was just F###ed, I think it was the bug thing..... I couldn't face a running 1mile.
    So this week I'm HTFU and have a few runs put down already as we approach the final straight in our training plan.

Not long now :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hit a huge PB in Barcelona at the weekend, so just need to recover well and squeeze in 1-2 more long runs. Not aiming for a time goal so this is just for fun - no pressure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Planning to do 40k easy and 2 k tempo :) All in all, twas going well up to 2 weeks ago and the wheels came off a bit on the running front with 2 LSRs missed. An ok base done so a hilly 20 miler next week will have me running it with a happy face.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

baza1976 wrote: »
    How are the "regular marathon" folk getting on with training.

I belong to the 'only doing the marathon' group as well.
    Training going very well, lots of long runs done, a few more to do, and generally I've got lots of quality miles done.

The challenge with Conn is trying to plan pace or predict race time. the last 2 years have been fantastic weather wise, (2010 possibly too warm, i made a balls of fuelling/hydrating and suffered more than necessary the last 5 miles).

How much difference does a cold, wet, windy Maam valley make to planned race times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Doing the half - and things are going excellent :)

Really cant wait, as its my first "long" race and I have been planning and thinking about it for so long, I just want to get started and get into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I'm doing the half as well, and have only done 2 LSRs, and going to squeeze another 2 in. Big diffference between the half and the full i guess, you dont have to put in the same mileage.

Are many going to the afterparty in the hotel in galway?
    My bday is the sat 9th so i'll be dying to let my hair down on the sunday nite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Doing the half myself, following Hal Higdon's novice plan. Want to just get around fit and healthy and do the Limerick marathon in under 4 hours. Bit worried about the hills, not had a chance to do much training on them. If I need to walk bits of them I guess I'll just walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Planning to do Conn as my first, training was going well did 2x20 so far,

However yesterday I was doing a easy 8 and got awful shin splints can barely walk today, It's very annoying becuase I missed out on my long run last weekend and It looks like I'll miss another this weekend,

Is it really bad to miss 2 long runs in a row?

Planning to head on to the after party in Galway too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Anyone receive a bib number yet? Says on website that they would be issued shorly after March 1st!

@ aficionado: it's not the best thing to miss your long runs. Depends on your goal really, and how well your training was going to that point. If it's injury thats causing you to miss them LSRs, your better off resting.

just need to recover well and squeeze in 1-2 more long runs.
    ITB fail. Haven't run since Barcelona. Looking more likely that I'm out than in, though if I can do 13-15 miles 1-2 weeks before the race pain-free then I'll probably end up doing it.

No sign of a bib number here either which is possibly a good thing because it might depress me further. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Doing the half, training going well enough. Hopefully it'll be a nice dry day, maybe not as hot as last year, though it brought out the crowds spectating which really added to the whole atmosphere.
    Did we get bibs in post last year or did we have to collect them with chip from Hotel?
    Anyone know if there will be Pace runners? Couldn't find anything on the event website.
    Good luck to all with the training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

rok wrote: »
    Doing the half, training going well enough. Hopefully it'll be a nice dry day, maybe not as hot as last year, though it brought out the crowds spectating which really added to the whole atmosphere.
    Did we get bibs in post last year or did we have to collect them with chip from Hotel?
    Anyone know if there will be Pace runners? Couldn't find anything on the event website.
    Good luck to all with the training

There haven't been pacers there before so I wouldn't expect them there this year either.
    With the hills and crowded start for the half it wouldn't be the easiest to pace anyway.
    For the last few years the numbers have been picked up in a Galway hotel the day before the race. You could also arrange to pick it up in Clifden if you were staying there.

I'm out. Just can't see this injury clearing in time for this, and don't want to make it worse either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I'm out. Just can't see this injury clearing in time for this, and don't want to make it worse either. :(
    Probably a wise move. You wouldnt want to replace the happy memories from barca with dire and painful 1s from conn. In saying that i would run it, i love pain:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Doing the 1/2 myself, its my 2nd (did my first last Oct).
    Training has not been great, with a newborn in the house and working away its messed it up but have roped in 4 more with me so I have to do it since I pushed them to do it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

...before starting one on the same topic and wondering why there was no traffic on it.

Anyway, I'm in for the full. Training's going fairly well, touch wood, and I'm hoping for a cool and pleasant day, with a strong south wind for the first hour and a strong N wind for the last hour :)

Good luck to all!

I said earlier in this thread that I was doing the half...I'm doing the full..why would I say I was doing the half, bad omen!!
    Anyways, did 20miles yesterday as my biggest LSR. How did you all get on?

I've done very little hill training, I am screwed aren't I??

20 is as long an LSR as I've ever done, and I think it's plenty. So if you were doing 20 this last weekend, you're in a good place. How long did it take you,and what's your goal on the day?

The hills are a little over-rated IMHO, unless you're aiming for a PB (in which case it's either your first marathon, and a guaranteed PB, or you're probably in the wrong marathon :)). You're basically looking at two smaller hills (as you join the N59 from the Inagh valley and as you pass K2 and drop down towards Killary) and two bigger ones (out of Leenane and out of Maam). All of these hills can be chugged up in low gear - unless you're racing hard, they aren't wildly steep or even the longest hills you've ever seen. They have a bad rep, but it's not due to the hills, it's due to the state of the runners when they hit them. If you've even a bit left in the tank, don't fret, you'll be over them before you know it.

By all means get a bit of trail running or other hill work in over the next week or so - it's not too late to build some familiarity, though probably too late to build a lot of strength. Learning to drop gears and to chug uphill is actually something that can click, and you can learn it in a few minutes....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What sort of times are achieveable for the 1/2? I hear its a tough course, the only 1/2 I have ever done is considered very flat and I did that in 2hrs on the button, with the terrain would a 2.15 be achievable?

I managed 17km yesterday, I was on the brink though and over 6 mins a km for the last 4. It will be some fun getting up the big hill I am hearing about near the end!!!!! :(

yop wrote: »
    What sort of times are achieveable for the 1/2? I hear its a tough course, the only 1/2 I have ever done is considered very flat and I did that in 2hrs on the button, with the terrain would a 2.15 be achievable?

I managed 17km yesterday, I was on the brink though and over 6 mins a km for the last 4. It will be some fun getting up the big hill I am hearing about near the end!!!!! :(

Depends a lot on how well you deal with hills. The last hill isn't too bad if you have something in the tank, but a lot of people find it savage if they're already tired (and don't get me started on the endless last mile). 6mins/km isn't bad for uphill at all, and you'll get the old race buzz helping you along.

Sorry, to answer your question: sub 80 minutes is just about achievable, 80-90 puts you well into the top bracket. If you've run 120 before, don't expect to better it unless you've come on in leaps and bounds; instead, aim to enjoy yourself - the scenery and the out-there nature of the run is what makes it special; if you want a fast time, do Kildare a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

yop wrote: »

When did you do the previous 1/2, what shape were you in, how was your previous training in comparison to now, have you done any hill training ? Sorry for so many questions but hard to give you an answer particularly if the previous half was a number of years ago. That said, if you were able to train to give yourself a 2 hour HM then can see no reason why you shouldn't squeeze out a 2:15 - remember Conn isn't ALL uphill, there are many flat bits and even some suprising downhills.
    As Brownian said (by the way Brownian - hopefully see you out there) its more the part of the race the hill occurs in - at about 9/10 miles, ie just when you don't need it. I have run up that hill at a fair pace when starting with fresh legs from the bottom, but when I have got to it as part of the HM course its got to me every time. Head down, first gear, keep going - only advice I can give.

• Advertisement

Cheers Brownian, first time I've seen that the hills aint so bad!! I got around the 20miles in 3 hours with a slight - moderate groin injury that reappeared 7miles in (I know i know i shouldn't be running with an injury but needed to get the 20miles done). Otherwise i've been doing my LSR's in 8.40min miles (no hills).
    I just want to get around Connemara fit and healthy, I'd like to do the Limerick Marathon on 1st May to beat my Dublin time of 3:49 so time in Conn really isn't important.

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Cheers Brownian, first time I've seen that the hills aint so bad!! I got around the 20miles in 3 hours with a slight - moderate groin injury that reappeared 7miles in (I know i know i shouldn't be running with an injury but needed to get the 20miles done). Otherwise i've been doing my LSR's in 8.40min miles (no hills).
    I just want to get around Connemara fit and healthy, I'd like to do the Limerick Marathon on 1st May to beat my Dublin time of 3:49 so time in Conn really isn't important.

I think that's a pretty sensible attitude! If you run Conn like an LSR, and change down a gear for the two main hills, you should fingers crossed be fine. And if we get reasonable weather, the run really is lovely. Limerick's pretty soon after Conn - qv the thread on one month between marathons. That said, I hope to do Kildare for PB purposes myself, if I survive Conn!

Thanks folks,
    Last HM was last October and I was probably a tad better fitness wise as we have a newborn and I am not getting as much road time as I would like. I saying that I am more of a cyclist so as per last year I am probably getting up to 150km per week on the bike and avg 15km per week on the road.

I suspect that I will be in around 2hr 15 for this. I have done a 10km hillish run every Saturday for the last month to get the legs burning so I am hoping that will stand to me a little.
    In saying that there will be a group of 5 of us doing the 1/2 and I am doing the least running so that will be some fun! I am just hoping the lads still think they are doing a 10km race and tear off, I will wink at them when they are burnt out in a heap on the ground :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I started a 14 week training plan back in January. To say I've had my ups and downs would be an understatement...It'll be my first marathon (so a guaranteed PB:D) and my first time running in Connemara. The main goal is to enjoy and just get over the finish line. Have an 18 and two 20 milers under my belt. the second 20miler was last thursday and it didn't go so well but I finished it. Just about! Have since picked up a bad headcold and sinusitis and what was threatening to be a chest infection but I think I caught it early enough. Hoping to get out for an easy 5 miles this evening (first run since last 20 miler:(). Will be peeved if it doesn't go according to plan!

Anyone else crazy enough to be popping their marathon cherry in Connemara?!:rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Yep first timer here too!
    Picked up a few shin splits in training but overall training has been going good,
    Got 3x20 under my belt and did some hill training in the Dublin mountains so feeling ready :)
    Is anybody going to the anniversary party in Galway after it?

So is everybody starting to taper now?
    I was thinking of cutting back on to running 2-3 days and then cross train 2 days

Yup, heading in towards taper land myself too. Hope to run 25% less this coming week (my running weeks go Sat to Sat) than this week, then 25% less again the following week, and so on. So the last week, ending the day before the run, will be about 40% or so of last week's effort.

All I'd say about introducing new forms of training (e.g. cross training) at this stage is
    - don't injure yourself
    - allow the body to rest; you'll feel fitter than usual on a bike or whatever, but you're trying to build a reserve here
    - don't run faster on your shortened runs, just because they're shorter.

To me, three weeks of relative inaction seems difficult, after all the heavy training (well, not that heavy in my case:)) and now that we're used to running a fair bit...but it's certainly the "accepted wisdom" and you won't find anyone to say "train hard right up to the day"....

Best of luck with the taper, and on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm doing the half [training going really well].

But I'm going to start to ease off after a decent run this weekend. I'm thinking for the half you dont need quite as much time easing off as someone doing the full or the ultra, so 2 weeks should be plenty.

Good point about the speed work tho, with the 5K I did at absolute max pace over the weekend I think thats enough speed work, going at race like pace from here on out will be sensible Im thinking.

Not been to the gym in a while [a while for me], so getting reintroduced to the cross trainer and bike may be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Doing the full as well, did the half last year.

Did DCM last year as my first marathon.

One more Long run to do this weekend then its taper time. Not really got enough training in missed a couple of LSRs and a few mid week meduim runs as well but sure there is no point worrying about it now.

Its a fantastic place to run though and hopefully we get a nice dry day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

BrokenMan wrote: »
    One more Long run to do this weekend then its taper time.

@ BM, a shorter Long Run I hope.
    or what distance you planning.

@ everyone,
    i've seen more people ballsing up marathons by training by the book until Taper time and then just not reducing mileage.

you need to be recovering and bursting with energy on marathon day.

See you in Conn.

(see bus times from Clifden are slightly changed this year)

• Advertisement

Can someone register for you are have you to be there in person? Brother in law is doing it but might be back in the country until later on so won't make it down to Clifden or Galway in time.

Advertisement