Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Options
  • 20-02-2011 9:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it looks like the UK are going to bring the clocks forward,should we follow..?What are the pros & cons...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Longer evenings could move a step closer with a government plan to move UK clocks forward an extra hour.

A "tourism strategy" will include a plan to move the clocks in line with most of Europe, bringing lighter evenings but darker mornings.

Tourism chiefs and safety campaigners support the move, but there are fears in Scotland about road accidents.

Ministers want to be satisfied the country backs the plan before giving the go-ahead, the BBC understands.

Last year, Prime Minister David Cameron indicated he was willing to consider a switch.

"The argument will be won when people across the country feel comfortable with the change," he said in August.

"It's up to those who want to make the change to make the argument to try to convince people right across the country that it's a good thing.

"People who like taking part in sporting activity and would like longer days are already quite easy to sway. That's the key to winning this argument."

The proposals will be published by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the coming week, the BBC has been told.

Three-year trial

Bringing the clocks forward by one hour would bring the UK into line with Central European Time (CET), which is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) plus one hour.

It would mean, for instance, that instead of the sun rising in Newcastle-upon-Tyne at 0714 and setting at 1723, as it does at this time of year, it would rise at 0814 and set at 1823.

Tourism bosses say the number of overseas visitors would increase if summer evenings were lighter and they estimate the benefits to the economy could total billions of pounds.

But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.

A parliamentary bill requiring the government to conduct analysis of the costs and benefits of shifting the clocks forward received MPs' initial approval in December.

A three-year experiment to keep BST all year took place between 1968 and 1971, but was not made permanent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Farmers are going to have a field day with this one.

AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA*choke*

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I'd like it, hate coming out of college at 6 in the winter and it's pitch black out :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

If the UK does this we will have to as well. Its a good idea tbh, who truly is a morning person anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

We copy most ideas from the brits. May as well copy this one too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.
    Would ye feck off talkin bollox, people drive in the dark all the time
    USE YOUR LIGHTS

I think we should change ours too if it means no more DST changes

• Advertisement

Knowing this country they'll add the extra hour, but then tax us for the right to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

smk89 wrote: »
    If the UK does this we will have to as well. Its a good idea tbh, who truly is a morning person anyway

:DNow hold on a minute, Me & thousands like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Not this crap AGAIN??

Every year there is a debate about this, and every year it doesn't happen. FFS, make your minds up and then LEAVE IT AT THAT. Yes or no.

But in fairness the argument against it is a very good one, and that is that darker mornings make traffic accidents involving kids going to school far more likely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not this crap AGAIN??

Every year there is a debate about this, and every year it doesn't happen. FFS, make your minds up and then LEAVE IT AT THAT. Yes or no.

But in fairness the argument against it is a very good one, and that is that darker mornings make traffic accidents involving kids going to school far more likely.

It has gone through a couple of stages in the UK system so I think it will happen this time.So the Irish Gov need to start thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Another hour ahead of the US though sadly, making it harder to chat to my American friends. I hate teheran clocks going forward then back again ****e every march and October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is only the beginning.....

http://twentymajor.net/images/jimcorr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

So Greenwich wont be at Greenwich Mean Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Feargal Quinn has going on about this for years. It makes a lot of sense imo.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/quinn-clocks-up-a-plan-for-summertime-all-year-round-2299025.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This will be great for cross border travel... Going into a different time zone after Newry... That won't cause trouble...:rolleyes: If the UK does it, might as well do it here. No doubt the farmers will release sheep on Kildare St. in protest...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So Greenwich wont be at Greenwich Mean Time?

+1

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

El Siglo wrote: »
    This will be great for cross border travel... Going into a different time zone after Newry... That won't cause trouble...:rolleyes: If the UK does it, might as well do it here. No doubt the farmers will release sheep on Kildare St. in protest...:pac:

Spain is one hour ahead of portugal and share a common border,dont seem to have any problems there, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Naikon wrote: »

Hey, could go and colonise America and Australia AND move the clocks forward:cool:.

I remember in the late 60s when they (the UK) retained BST one winter, arriving at school in the dark wasn't fun!

It was still getting dark when we got home as well, we didn't reallt benefit at all.

Best leave it as is!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can we move them forward by 25 hours so it doesn't seem like we're copying them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

realies wrote: »
    Spain is one hour ahead of portugal and share a common border,dont seem to have any problems there, just saying.

But Eastenders would be on a hour earlier,imagine the mayhem that would cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Naikon wrote: »

Very true and this time the powers that be won't be able to pass it off as one of their ideas. Like they normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

yes yes yes.. great idea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Barring the odd enclave they dont share a common language so dont watch each others TV channels ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

By right we should be an hour behind England as it is, with many parts of the country more than 7.5 degrees west of Greenwich

If its getting dark in London most of Ireland has well over an hour of daylight to go. So even if they change we shouldn't follow them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dub13 wrote: »
    But Eastenders would be on a hour earlier,imagine the mayhem that would cause.

What about the football :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I couldn't give a fuck. Hanging's too good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

:DNow hold on a minute, Me & thousands like me :D

uugh you sicken me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What about the football :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It would still played at the same time :confused:

oh wait you mean the soccer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think we should change ours too if it means no more DST changes

Nothing to do with the clocks going forward and back each October and March, that will still happen. Just will be going forward and back to the same hours as the CET time zone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Daegerty wrote: »
    By right we should be an hour behind England as it is, with many parts of the country more than 7.5 degrees west of Greenwich

If its getting dark in London most of Ireland has well over an hour of daylight to go. So even if they change we shouldn't follow them

Yes, but it's still not really practical to be in a different time zone to the UK. Even so, Ireland being in line with some western European countries doesn't make sense either.

I'd leave it as it is.

Advertisement