Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2011, 12:26   #46
Poor Craythur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternNight View Post
I wonder, actually, would it be worth it to have the more experienced runners just post a list of things to watch out for? Like, tips to prevent injury and what aches and pains are not ok to run on etc?
Definitely a good idea.

I for one would be interested to know what the affects of being overweight have on the joints whilst running.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2011, 12:29   #47
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Here's some links that might be useful:

NHS Choices: Couch to 5K (tips, resources and guides)
Couch to 5K on Facebook (great little page, where people discuss their progress and others give advice)
20-02-2011, 12:30   #48
WesternNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Craythur View Post
I for one would be interested to know what the affects of being overweight have on the joints whilst running.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat so it's something I'm very mindful of. I've done a small bit of research online about the dos and don'ts but it might be good to have it all in the one place.
20-02-2011, 12:31   #49
WesternNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post

I had a look at that last night, and I have to say some of the advice is contradictory to advice I've heard from other sources so just to be aware of that.
20-02-2011, 13:03   #50
Stench Blossoms
I don't actually smell

I completed it but I'm going to go back and start again and up the pace a bit.
Advertisement
20-02-2011, 13:33   #51
Poor Craythur
Banned

Quote:

Couch to 5K on Facebook (great little page, where people discuss their progress and others give advice)
They're helpful but generalised. I'd like to hear the experiences of forum members, especially the ones who were really really unfit when they started.
20-02-2011, 13:40   #52
daenerysstormborn3
Closed Account

I started running again just after Christmas on and off but I'm starting the c25k properly tomorrow. Looking forward to it, always feel fantastic after a good run.
20-02-2011, 13:47   #53
Poor Craythur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebean22 View Post
I started running again just after Christmas on and off but I'm starting the c25k properly tomorrow. Looking forward to it, always feel fantastic after a good run.
I'm starting tomorrow too!
Thanks from:
20-02-2011, 14:12   #54
rainbow kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Craythur View Post
They're helpful but generalised. I'd like to hear the experiences of forum members, especially the ones who were really really unfit when they started.
I started Couch to 5k in July 2008, at age 24. I'd done no exercise for the previous 2 years and I was about 15 stone (far too heavy for my height of 5'6"). I started watching my diet at roughly the same time, and the weight started to come off quite quickly. I started the program in a pair of 6 year old Nike cross training shoes, but found things a lot more comfortable after I got fitted for some more suitable shoes. I ran my first 5k in October 2008 (Rathfarnham 5k, finished in just outside 30 minutes) and my first 10k 2 months after that (finished in just under 66 minutes). By the summer of 2009, I had completed a half-marathon and lost more than four stone. Now? Barcelona marathon (my third) in 2 weeks time.

Getting the weight down made a massive difference to me - it meant a lot less stress on my knees and shins, and it meant that it was easier to find a suitable sports bra (used to be 40DD, 34DD/E now so it's still not exactly wonderful getting one!). It also meant that I got a lot quicker. When I was doing Couch to 5k, my runs were at about a 12 minute mile pace - within about 6 months of that I was training at about a 10:30/mile pace, and these days most runs are done between 9 and 10 min/mile pace.
Advertisement
20-02-2011, 14:30   #55
rainbow kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternNight View Post
I wonder, actually, would it be worth it to have the more experienced runners just post a list of things to watch out for? Like, tips to prevent injury and what aches and pains are not ok to run on etc?
We can't give medical advice, however there are a few threads starting on the A/R/T forum which are mainly dealing with injury prevention and have heavy mod input over there. They are worth a read, there is some good information there.

Shin Splints

Preventing Heel/Plantar Fasciitis Problems
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2011, 14:55   #56
bluewolf
being awesome

Send a message via MSN to bluewolf
Just did another run, worked on speed this time so I did have to take a few 20-30s walking breaks. Still, I cut off about 2 mins off yesterday's distance so it's all good
20-02-2011, 18:53   #57
simply_dee

Long-time lurker in tLL but this is just the thread I've been waiting for!

I started C25k last May. I got to week 8 before I went away for the summer and totally lost all my fitness. Since the new year, I decided to get back on track and I started back into running at C25K week 4. Finding it ok so far, but a bit nervous about that 20 minute run (all over again)!

I also started "improver" swimming lessons a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about aiming for the TriAthy in June (400m swim, 13.6km cycle, 3.6km run) but I'm not sure I'll be ready in time... Has anyone ever done any triathlon training before? I'm not really sure how to go about it.
20-02-2011, 19:08   #58
rainbow kirby

Might be worth having a look at Beginner Triathlete and that will give you an idea of some training plans. There is also a 1st Triathlon in 2011 thread on the A/R/T forum.
Thanks from:
20-02-2011, 19:26   #59
FouxDaFaFa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1 View Post
I can treadmill run no problem, but road running i just cant do.
That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I just can't get comfortable on the treadmill because I feel that if I let the pace at all I'll fall off!
Quote:
I quite like the NHS one, but haven't checked out ullrey's. They have quite catchy music and the woman's voice is very friendly, giving tips throughout and also motivation by saying things like "you're doing a good job" and "just 60 seconds left, you're doing really well". Small things like that help a lot, I find.
I know what you mean. I'm using Carli's podcasts from runningintoshape.com and she says really supportive things. I love her!

Good luck to everyone starting C25K!
20-02-2011, 19:29   #60
rainbow kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FouxDaFaFa View Post
That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I just can't get comfortable on the treadmill because I feel that if I let the pace at all I'll fall off!
Hardest part about treadmill running for me is resisting the urge to just whack the stop button and get off. I'd much rather get out in the fresh air.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion