Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams talks about gross act of terrorism

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

He was talking about the Universal Social Charge. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

mike65 wrote: »
    He was talking about the Universal Social Charge. :rolleyes:
    That might blow up in his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm listening to him on Pat Kennys programme from Louth, if I were a SF member I'd be beside myself with anger at his grandstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

But your not Mike, your an anti-Irish Unionist who is constantly banging the drum against Irish Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well at least Gerry has expertise, in Gross acts of Terrorism, not so sure he understands the USC.

Thanks for your input Kev,

I am not anti-Irish (if I were I'd not be here) and am not "Unionist" I believe in majority consent.

Gerry Adams is not an Irish patroit, he is a spoofer and ex bar-tender. Martin McGuiness is far more credible figure to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭GSF

Looks like SF are settling for a core vote strategy now. They seem to havescaled back their expectations a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I believe you're missing the point. He is highlighting that the USC is unfair, and a burden on some lesser-off families. If Nelson Mandela made the same statement, would you be quick to jump the gun? He was once considered a terrorist by popular media.

He has as much right as any other politician to express his views and highlight social injustice. This attitude towards Sinn Féin politicians that they don't deserve the right to engage in debates is assinine.

You might not respect Gerry Adams, but there are many who do. He received more votes than any other politician in the north - and Sinn Féin received more votes than any other party in the north, so they are obviously resonating with many. It's easy to judge the past of Sinn Féin and the IRA. But those that lived through the troubles understand the context of events that occurred, which is why they don't continue to beat the drum. Remember, that without Adams - there would be no peace process.

Is there many events that require investigation with regards to IRA attacks? Absolutely, and Gerry Adams wants to bring in an independent international investigation into all events that occurred to bring clarity and closure - both on the nationalist and on the unionist (and British military) sides. Why doesn't Britain aspire to see the same investigation?

You're entitled to your views Mike, but I sincerely doubt you're quick to address the history of your own military in Ireland.

I believe you're missing the point. He is highlighting that the USC is unfair, and a burden on some lesser-off families. If Nelson Mandela made the same statement, would you be quick to jump the gun? He was once considered a terrorist by popular media.

I doubt Mendela would be that crass, Adams middle name is crass which doesn't do SF any poltical favours - playing to the core vote doesn't get them any more seats indeed it may rob them of one or two as transfers go a different direction
    You're entitled to your views Mike, but I sincerely doubt you're quick to address the history of your own military in Ireland.

Nice to know I'm allowed a voice ;) I don't have any military history in Ireland

I doubt Mendela would be that crass, Adams middle name is crass which doesn't do SF any poltical favours - playing to the core vote doesn't get them any more seats indeed it may rob them of one or two as transfers go a different direction

That's a whole lot of subjectivity, without actually saying anything. You don't like Adams, we get it. But he's still entitled like any other politician running in this election to have a voice on the issues. If he's speaking to 1000's of people on a weekly basis through public meetings and canvassing from doors to doors - of course he's going to express their concerns.

Nice to know I'm allowed a voice ;) I don't have any military history in Ireland

You as an individual do not. But your previous Government does. I'm not really interested in semantics. I'm just highlighting that you're very selective on which parts of Irish history you wish to highlight, and which you wish to sweep under the carpet. It's not an important point to make - just an observation. Don't dwell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

dlofnep wrote: »

He has as much right as any other politician to express his views and highlight social injustice. This attitude towards Sinn Féin politicians that they don't deserve the right to engage in debates is assinine.

You might not respect Gerry Adams, but there are many who do. He received more votes than any other politician in the north - and Sinn Féin received more votes than any other party in the north, so they are obviously resonating with many. It's easy to judge the past of Sinn Féin and the IRA. But those that lived through the troubles understand the context of events that occurred, which is why they don't continue to beat the drum. Remember, that without Adams - there would be no peace process.

Is there many events that require investigation with regards to IRA attacks? Absolutely, and Gerry Adams wants to bring in an independent international investigation into all events that occurred to bring clarity and closure - both on the nationalist and on the unionist (and British military) sides. Why doesn't Britain aspire to see the same investigation?

Except terrorism is not only in SFs past, it is in their present. IMO it is absolutely repulsive that they have people like Martin Ferris in their party. This is a man who has been imprisoned for terrorist activities and greeted the killers of Garda Gerry McCabe upon their release from prison. Until they get rid of people like that, SF will be associated with terrorism. I would be ashamed if a party who accepts people like this was to form part of our government.

• Advertisement

You as an individual do not. But your previous Government does. I'm not really interested in semantics. I'm just highlighting that you're very selective on which parts of Irish history you wish to highlight, and which you wish to sweep under the carpet. It's not an important point to make - just an observation. Don't dwell on it.

I have to dwell on it as you are apparently under the delusion that I as happen to have been born in Britain I should be held to account for the actions of that countries various governments going back 800 years.

I cannot and will not be held accountable. I do not have a previous government. I am me. Not a state, not an institution.

I left Britain as a 9 year old for Petes sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The hypocrisy of the man, he really is sick if he points the finger at others "calling them Terrorists" :confused:

My blood boils when I hear Adams say things like that, he is such a hypocrite.

Adams is the 1st leader in this Election debate to make a serious faux pa, and this will haunt him in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Adams just got very agitated on Pat Kenny when he was asked twice (by a member of the public I think) if he had ever been a senior member of the IRA.

He replied "I wish you wouldn't ask me a question to which you know the answer...the answer is no."

When Kenny pressed him on it, he said "Why don't you go and ask Eamon Gilmore the same question?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I would have thought that the real point of interest was his reference to terrorism. IT would be like Michael Noonan invoking analogies about blood transfusions or Conor Lenihan telling us that he had a kebab for lunch. It will inevitably draw attention away from whatever they are discussing to incidents past. Perhaps Adams is doing so deliberately? Maybe he is trying to control this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

oh boy oh boy oh boy, cant wait to vote Sinn Fein :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Flimbos wrote: »
    Adams just got very agitated on Pat Kenny when he was asked twice (by a member of the public I think) if he had ever been a senior member of the IRA.

He replied "I wish you wouldn't ask me a question to which you know the answer...the answer is no."

When Kenny pressed him on it, he said "Why don't you go and ask Eamon Gilmore the same question?"
    and whats your point? Even if he was telling the truth there he'd be getting agitated with constantly being pressed the same questions.

Do you ever see Neil Armstrongs reaction to being asked whether he really landed on the moon or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

LordSutch wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of the man, he really is sick if he points the finger at others "calling them Terrorists" :confused:

My blood boils when I hear Adams say things like that, he is such a hypocrite.

Adams is the 1st leader in this Election debate to make a serious faux pa, and this will haunt him in the coming weeks.

no it wont , adams will be elected in a lanslide in louth , their is an anti sinn fein anti adams agenda right through the media and the political right in ireland , that smear campaign will intensify in coming days and i expect some garda actions towards the end of next week to try damage sinn fein ,

• Subscribers Posts: 687 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Thanks for your input Kev,

I am not anti-Irish (if I were I'd not be here) and am not "Unionist" I believe in majority consent.

Gerry Adams is not an Irish patroit, he is a spoofer and ex bar-tender. Martin McGuiness is far more credible figure to me.

This argument is invalid. What difference is it if he's worked in a bar in his early 20s. A lot of other guys at that time were doing sweet f.a... you're the one spoofing!

zig wrote: »
    and whats your point?

I just think it's a pity this issue keeps coming up and detracting from the issues of the day.

I give him every credit for his central role in the peace process but he should have came clean years ago and allowed people to move on.

I cannot and will not be held accountable. I do not have a previous government. I am me. Not a state, not an institution.

I left Britain as a 9 year old for Petes sake.

I never asked you to hold yourself accountable. You missed my point entirely. It's clear you don't want to acknowledge it either, so I'm not going to go around in circles on the matter.

• Advertisement

Now now, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily - if I missed your point put it a clear concise manner and I'll answer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The reason the media keep going on about his denials of membership of the IRA, of a place on the 'Army Council', and of involvement in crimes like La Mon, or the abduction, torture and murder of Jean McConville, is because for decades Gerry Adams spoke to journalists as a member of the Provisional IRA, on condition that this would not be reported. So he was introducing himself to people as a Provo, in person, and now he's denying that, in person. In some cases to the same people.

As for 'moving on', well, the victims of the IRA terror campaign can hardly move on, can they? Why should he be allowed?

Now now, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily - if I missed your point put it a clear concise manner and I'll answer it.

Ok, then allow me to elaborate. You attack Gerry's right to discuss the current economic crisis, based on the choice of words he used. He is entitled to pass comment, as is any other politician. I would sincerely doubt that you would attack a British politician in the same manner that supported the measures that were taken by the British army during the troubles. Sinn Féin appears to be fair game for you - while many others worthy of commentary should not get a free pass from you.

I'm not asking that you be held accountable for any actions of the British army in the north either. It's not an issue of accountability on your behalf. What I am asking for is that if you wish to bring up the troubles - that you are ready to equally discuss British actions in the north and not dwell purely on nationalist ones. So the next time a British MP that supported British army measures in the north discusses social fairness and equality, you might create a thread on it and offer equal commentary.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    As for 'moving on', well, the victims of the IRA terror campaign can hardly move on, can they? Why should he be allowed?

I agree - I could have phrased my previous post a bit better.

When I said 'move on', I meant if he had come clean about his involvement, it might have provided some sort of closure for victims.

So the next time a British MP that supported British army measures in the north discusses social fairness and equality, you might create a thread on it and offer equal commentary.

Well I'd only do that if a he was talking about events in this jurstiction (the politics of the UK are of largely of academic interest only) and the MP thought it wise to lets say suggest a policy was like "Sending in the Paras". Can't see either happening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Flimbos wrote: »
    I just think it's a pity this issue keeps coming up and detracting from the issues of the day.

I give him every credit for his central role in the peace process but he should have came clean years ago and allowed people to move on.

It's only because of Adams and the ones like him on the "other side" that we needed a Peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That's a whole lot of subjectivity, without actually saying anything. You don't like Adams, we get it. But he's still entitled like any other politician running in this election to have a voice on the issues. If he's speaking to 1000's of people on a weekly basis through public meetings and canvassing from doors to doors - of course he's going to express their concerns.

I wonder if Gerry Adams has been able to get on the emergency electoral register to enable him to vote for himself.
    Gerry has never paid tax in his constituency so its not surprising that he is ignorant of tax and VAT rates, cut him some slack.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Gerry Adam's condemns "Gross Act Of Terrorism".

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

danbohan wrote: »
    no it wont , adams will be elected in a lanslide in louth , their is an anti sinn fein anti adams agenda right through the media and the political right in ireland , that smear campaign will intensify in coming days and i expect some garda actions towards the end of next week to try damage sinn fein ,

The media don't need to run a smear campaign, all they need to do is have a microphone around Gery Adams or Pearse doherty when they are asked questions about the economy and that's more then enough to put people off voting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I would sincerely doubt that you would attack a British politician in the same manner

He is attacking a British politician: the Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead and former Westminster MP, Gerry Adams.

Advertisement