Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options
  • 01-01-2011 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Firstly, Happy New Year to you all...Hopefully 2011 will be progressive and injury free. Although I've kept an eye on and contibuted to other training logs to date, this is my first one....So, why do it now?.....To keep a better focus on my goals this year and to allow new/novice runners an opportunity to track my progress, learn from some of my mistakes and maybe gain some useful knowledge based on some of the discussions that might arise and the contributions from other posters.

So, I'm 43 and 362 days old, started running in 2009 having never run before. I'd always played sports so had a reasonable residual fitness despite doing nothing more than playing golf when I packed in team sports in 2007. So, before I go any further, if perhaps you're reading this and contemplating taking up running, just do it!....(do I have to pay royalties on that slogan?) It is simply a fantastic way of getting fit and then fitter...It's relatively cheap and it's the only acceptable way for a man to appear in tights in public!!!

2009 times were as follows
    5k 24:something, 5 mile 38:13, 10 mile 1:25:41, Half Marathon 1:52:51

2010 times
    5k 21:13, 5 Mile 36:38, 10 Mile 1:21:26, Half 1:45:18, Marathon 4:32:58:eek:

Goals for this year, increase my mileage, do more speedwork, learn how to use the info I get from my Heart Monitor, learn all about V02Max and all of that stuff......Start eating and drinking more good stuff and less bad stuff and read a book that isn't about a serial killer with a shoe fetish or a renegade navy seal...maybe one that's about running and nutrition!!

So, I'll run another Marathon this year and learn from last years mistake of setting off too quickly - I ran the first 16 miles in 2:12 and hobbled the last 10 on severely cramped legs in 2:21 !!...So, sub 4 Marathon is achieveable.....I also want to try get a sub 20 min 5k...Other then that I'd like to do a 10k in sub 45 and a few mountain races as well.....So, here goes...I'm off for a short run to blow away last nights excesses....;)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    it's the only acceptable way for a man to appear in tights in public!!!
    Any excuse, eh? :pac:

Good luck with the log :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Any excuse, eh? :pac:

Good luck with the log :)

Shhhhh....Don't tell anyone.....;)

Right so....First run of the year completed...3.32 miles at 8:38 pace. Felt quite tough to begin with but then got into it. Still a bit heavy legged from the 10 miles I did in the Park with menoscemo, rk, mrslow, ral, chinguetti and brianderunner on Thursday...Probably wasn't a great idea to wear the new Lunarglides for that 10 as they were just out of the box. Wore the Brooks this morning and will do again on Monday for 10 more in the Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck digger. About time you got yourself a log, you've been camping out on other people's logs for long enough:pac:

See you on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great log title, does this mean your gonna run 7 days a week :pac:. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Horay, you started a log :D (about bloody time too). Will look forward to reading all your sarky comments, funny anecdotes & escapades involving your various running attire.
    (oh and of course, your running!)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck digger. About time you got yourself a log, you've been camping out on other people's logs for long enough:pac:

See you on Monday.

Ha...See you Monday alright

Great log title, does this mean your gonna run 7 days a week :pac:. Good luck.

:)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Horay, you started a log :D (about bloody time too). Will look forward to reading all your sarky comments, funny anecdotes & escapades involving your various running attire.
    (oh and of course, your running!)

You learned to read over Christmas?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

it's the only acceptable way for a man to appear in tights in public!!!
    blow a serial killer with a shoe fetish
    menoscemo wrote: »
    you've been camping out on other people's logs for long enough

With all the innuendo thus far all you're missing is a picture of you in your marathon vest and you're the fifth member of the village people. Good luck with all of my goals, could you not find your own?

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    With all the innuendo thus far all you're missing is a picture of you in your marathon vest and you're the fifth member of the village people. Good luck with all of my goals, could you not find your own?

Well, I looked at yours and thought someone has to achieve them:D

Well, I looked at yours and thought someone has to achieve them:D

Thems fightin words! :cool:

Thems fightin words! :cool:

You wouldn't want me to bash you now would ya?;)

You wouldn't want me to bash you now would ya?;)

Careful now, you may end up ostracised.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Good luck with your Targets Digger,

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Surely one will make a 2011 appearance ! Delighted u r doing a blog , will be following ur progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Best of luck digger with those shorter distance times the 4 hour marathon will be no bother to you at all

showit wrote: »
    Good luck with your Targets Digger,

Cheers...Read a couple of your posts...Have you started your couch to programme yet?

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Surely one will make a 2011 appearance ! Delighted u r doing a blog , will be following ur progress

Thanks B, ah...I guess 2011 wouldn't be the same without me in a vest...It makes everyone else feel good about themselves ;)

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Best of luck digger with those shorter distance times the 4 hour marathon will be no bother to you at all

• Advertisement

Right so...Group run this morning with mrslow, rk, meno, chinguetti, claralara and a bunch of mrslow's Internet weirdo friends :D We started slowly but a few of us did a 'People's Front of Judea' and broke away...Myself and Meno did 10.1 at 9.10 ish pace....maybe doing the last two miles around 8.30 pace....I went off to do a quick bit extra as I'm a Garmin ho and completed 10.68 to round up my mileage for the new year to an even 14 miles (sad I know).....

Today's run was the best I felt since my DCM 'effort' and I'd nearly go out again this evening but I'll wait until tomorrow and do a gentle 5 maybe...

You'll have to wait another month before I start reporting on my HR, VO2 Max and Lactate threshold I'm afraid......;)

Right so...Group run this morning with mrslow, rk, meno, chinguetti, claralara and a bunch of mrslow's Internet weirdo friends :D We started slowly but a few of us did a 'People's Front of Judea' and broke away...Myself and Meno did 10.1 at 9.10 ish pace....maybe doing the last two miles around 8.30 pace....I went off to do a quick bit extra as I'm a Garmin ho and completed 10.68 to round up my mileage for the new year to an even 14 miles (sad I know).....

Today's run was the best I felt since my DCM 'effort' and I'd nearly go out again this evening but I'll wait until tomorrow and do a gentle 5 maybe...

You'll have to wait another month before I start reporting on my HR, VO2 Max and Lactate threshold I'm afraid......;)

You left out details of your new squeeze, Julien of the long tresses from Paris no less.:P

You left out details of your new squeeze, Julien of the long tresses from Paris no less.:P

I can't help it if I'm really, really, ridiculously good looking! ;)

I can't help it if I'm really, really, ridiculously good looking! ;)

That and your dubious sportswear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Failte digger and as everyone has said...about bloody time ;)

Good luck with the goals for this year.

shazkea wrote: »
    Failte digger and as everyone has said...about bloody time ;)

Good luck with the goals for this year.

Thanks Shaz....I see over on the pukers claralara's log that you might be out in the park for the group lsr next weekend...Look forward to seeing you then unless I nip away for a quick weeks skiing....

That and your dubious sportswear.

I thought I was rather conservative today...Wait til I get a tan again and the mankini might be on show....;):D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I thought I was rather conservative today...Wait til I get a tan again and the mankini might be on show....;):D

Mankini and tights, eh? :pac:

unless I nip away for a quick weeks skiing....
    Good luck with that goal :D See you next Sunday (in your mankini!)

• Advertisement

Mankini and tights, eh? :pac:

And Chinguetti's snood just to complete the catwalk look.....;)

Advertisement