Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home weather stations

Options
  • 19-12-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice, since the 'cold snap' (hate that term btw), my dad has gotten very into following the weather forecast, and particularly trying to do his own analysis. I think theres a website that people use to feed in their own info and he's got into looking at that???

He has asked my mother for a home weather station for putting outside the house for christmas. She hasnt a clue and has asked me to source one, and to be honest i havent a clue either, but im better able to use the internet!!

So what ive come up with is these two

here

and here

Are these any good? He is a microelectronic engineer type by trade so i think he would prefer the most technical and professional one available, so if theres something more hardcore out there im sure he'd welcome it.

Id say price range would be max 200-250 quid, but thats not a fixed limit.

Any of you folks have any pointers, or which of the two i listed are better value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice, since the 'cold snap' (hate that term btw), my dad has gotten very into following the weather forecast, and particularly trying to do his own analysis. I think theres a website that people use to feed in their own info and he's got into looking at that???

He has asked my mother for a home weather station for putting outside the house for christmas. She hasnt a clue and has asked me to source one, and to be honest i havent a clue either, but im better able to use the internet!!

here

and here

Are these any good? He is a microelectronic engineer type by trade so i think he would prefer the most technical and professional one available, so if theres something more hardcore out there im sure he'd welcome it.

Any of you folks have any pointers, or which of the two i listed are better value?

Hurler - I have no vested interest in this but you could look at

http://weathershop.co.uk/

for ideas.

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

might be worth a look also.....esp for feeding weather info to a www

Best of luck!

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Hi All,

here

and here

Hi hurleronditch,

I got a WH1090 Prodessional Home Station last week from PJ Boner online. Had it up and running in 30 minutes and reporting to 3 sites including my own by the end of the day. Example www.kilcullenweather.com

Cant fault it. If money is no object the experts on here have leaned towards the Davis range.

But for €135 delivered the WH1090 seems a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hi All,ore hardcore out there im sure he'd welcome it. Any of you folks have any pointers, or which of the two i listed are better value?

Up that price and get your dad the Davis Vantage Vue [or Pro].

You won't get better!

Otherwise the second one you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone know anything about this yoke? It appears to be the most popular weather station selling on Amazon (if I read the page correctly) yet has no reviews! Maybe that's because it's weather stations listed under "kitchen". Can't find anything about it elsewhere either! I like the look of that 1090 yoke as a more expensive option, but I'd be left stuck deciding whether to hook it up beside my PC (to download data) or my bed (to see the data handily in the morning)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The ones they sell in Maplins are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

How easy are these weather stations to set up reporting back to a website? Is it all Wifi? I would like to set up a station in the new year when we move to our new house :rolleyes:

jenningso wrote: »
    How easy are these weather stations to set up reporting back to a website? Is it all Wifi? I would like to set up a station in the new year when we move to our new house :rolleyes:

No WiFi on most of them ~ it might not be such a bad idea, except for battery consumption.

There are basically three types: Two have receivers and transmitters on a radio frequency: Others simply report the local conditions.

The primary difference in the two main types is in the transmitters. Some have a simple sensor box that goes under the eves of your roof and transmits back to the base station in you living room.

The more advance units have mini weather station transmitters, these need to be put on a pole and they consist of an Anemometer [wind speed], Wind Vein [direction], Sensor box [temp & Pressure] and a rain gauge.

No all weather stations are wireless, some need wire back to the sensors ~ so watch that one, it's [imo] not worth the hassle for a wired unit.

Both usually allow the receiver unit to attach via USB to the PC. The free software can then read the receiver's data. There is other software available, both free and at a price: however; [imo] they are all unnecessarily complex and do not fit well or look well in the modern computer environment.

It's like going back to Dos. But they do work and one can send info to various weather sharing sites from the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

jenningso wrote: »

Very easy. All come with basic software but most can be used with software called Cumulus. From here data can be uploaded to a website (yours or 3rd party) and to anywhere else you can think of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

gbee wrote: »

What's the clicking noise on that video? Please tell me that's not from the weather station. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I was wondering if anyone has experience of using an Apple instead of a PC in a WH1090 setup ?

All comments, tips and suggestions ( good & bad ) very welcome

0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

No WiFi on most of them ~ it might not be such a bad idea, except for battery consumption.

There are basically three types: Two have receivers and transmitters on a radio frequency: Others simply report the local conditions.

The primary difference in the two main types is in the transmitters. Some have a simple sensor box that goes under the eves of your roof and transmits back to the base station in you living room.

The more advance units have mini weather station transmitters, these need to be put on a pole and they consist of an Anemometer [wind speed], Wind Vein [direction], Sensor box [temp & Pressure] and a rain gauge.

No all weather stations are wireless, some need wire back to the sensors ~ so watch that one, it's [imo] not worth the hassle for a wired unit.

Both usually allow the receiver unit to attach via USB to the PC. The free software can then read the receiver's data. There is other software available, both free and at a price: however; [imo] they are all unnecessarily complex and do not fit well or look well in the modern computer environment.

It's like going back to Dos. But they do work and one can send info to various weather sharing sites from the PC.

Cool, thanks. So a bit of wiring/cabling involved :eek: Still, it'll be a nice project to get my teeth into.

PauloMN wrote: »
    What's the clicking noise on that video? Please tell me that's not from the weather station. :eek:

Yes it is, but I think the video makes it sound harder, and it was blowing a bit of a gale in gusts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yes it is, but I think the video makes it sound harder, and it was blowing a bit of a gale in gusts.

Reason I ask is I've ordered a weather station which looks very similar to that, and was planning to place it on my garden shed - which is right beside the neighbours house. That noise would probably drive them mad. Might have to locate it elsewhere. :(

Might have to locate it elsewhere. :(

I'd give it a go first, the wind was blowing a fairly strong in the lead up to Hurricane Carmen ~ you'd not really be out 'enjoying' your garden at those times and the noise would be lost in the background.

As per the units, they are made by everyone, they are the same units I believe they are Fine Offset Electronics and branded by everyone.

I'd give it a go first, the wind was blowing a fairly strong in the lead up to Hurricane Carmen ~ you'd not really be out 'enjoying' your garden at those times and the noise would be lost in the background.

As per the units, they are made by everyone, they are the same units I believe they are Fine Offset Electronics and branded by everyone.

Thanks. Yep the unit I'm getting is available in numerous brands - just the same unit rebranded. Here's the one I'm getting:
    http://www.elecsa.biz/USB-TOUCHSCREEN-Wetterstation-RegenWindmessung-6975_c124_p905_x2.htm

which looks to me to be the same as this from Maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

No comparison in price, if that is £125 in Maplin UK, it must be around €170 here.

Will try it first on the shed, if the noise is bad I'll move it. Wouldn't bother me but I like my neighbours. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Santa has it wrapped and under the tree :D:D:D
    WH1080

U7bNuP3JVVG1RXFapKyB.jpg

The ironic thing is that it looks like my weather station might be held up by the.... ermm... weather! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ok so for all those that got weather stations for xmas what are you doing with yours, this is mine

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/start.html

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/current.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ok so for all those that got weather stations for xmas what are you doing with yours, this is mine

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/start.html

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/current.html

Nice one... without hosting a site is there anywhere to upload my weather data to ? Are there hosters already set up for people to upload to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

bbam wrote: »
    Nice one... without hosting a site is there anywhere to upload my weather data to ? Are there hosters already set up for people to upload to?
    There are several ways to host your data, I can help, what station do you have and what software are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Mine's just a cheapie Aldi job with no PC connection but thought I might just keep a little spreadsheet and make some pretty graphs with the daily data I collect. Hubby says if I stay interested for a year I can upgrade to a WS with all the bells and whistles for Christmas next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I have a WH1080 re branded for Maplins. Had to send wind vane back and i'm still awaiting a replacement. Would be interested putting data online but no idea where to start. I use Cumulus software.

I don't host mine, not convinced my results are accurate enough and I suffer from all the oddities of the WHxxxx models ~

But have a look at weather underground.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Thanks. Yep the unit I'm getting is available in numerous brands - just the same unit rebranded. Here's the one I'm getting:
    http://www.elecsa.biz/USB-TOUCHSCREEN-Wetterstation-RegenWindmessung-6975_c124_p905_x2.htm

which looks to me to be the same as this from Maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

No comparison in price, if that is £125 in Maplin UK, it must be around €170 here.

Will try it first on the shed, if the noise is bad I'll move it. Wouldn't bother me but I like my neighbours. ;)
    I got that WS in maplins a few weeks ago, it was reduced to €90.

P.S. Any noise it makes will be masked by the noise of the wind. I've mine on my shed & never noticed it making any noise so I reckon your good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

talkabout wrote: »
    Would be interested putting data online but no idea where to start. I use Cumulus software.
    You'll need web space for a start, along with a ftp username & password. I'm sure there is plenty of free ones if you do a search or maybe someone else can recommend free space.
    After you have your account or webspace you enter your details in the cumulus configuration.

Any questions you have, I can guarantee you the answer will be on the cumulus support forums, I got all my questions answered just using their search.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Thanks Whitesands, I must look into that.

whitesands wrote: »
    I got that WS in maplins a few weeks ago, it was reduced to €90.

P.S. Any noise it makes will be masked by the noise of the wind. I've mine on my shed & never noticed it making any noise so I reckon your good.

Must have been a limited offer, I did hear about someone on here getting it for €90, but I rang Blanch and it was €180 or something. You got a bargain there.

Mine is lost in transit somewhere, been 3 weeks now since I ordered it. :( One of the downsides of ordering online I suppose, but I couldn't pay €180 for one.

Mine is lost in transit somewhere, been 3 weeks now since I ordered it. :( One of the downsides of ordering online I suppose, but I couldn't pay €180 for one.

I paid that for mine in Cork ... definitely not worth this kind of money [I suspect they are selling the GPS Solar version and none GPS/Solar version for the SAME price, they don't knowing the difference, that's just my theory on the vastly different pricing].

Where was yours coming from?

• Advertisement

I paid that for mine in Cork ... definitely not worth this kind of money [I suspect they are selling the GPS Solar version and none GPS/Solar version for the SAME price, they don't knowing the difference, that's just my theory on the vastly different pricing].

Where was yours coming from?

Coming from Germany, was shipped on Dec 16th.

Regarding Maplin, I rang and quoted the code from the catalogue. Was told they had them in stock, but they were €180 or so (could have been €190 even, I just can't remember - I just remember being shocked!). Given that they are £125, I'd have bitten an arm off to get one here for €90.

Advertisement