Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O' Connor's article about his daughter in the Sindo

Options
  • 13-09-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭

Ok, first up I hate the Sunday Independent and along with Eoin Harris and Barry Egan, Brendan O' Connor is one of the main reasons why. Years ago when he first came on the scene he was very funny and I liked his articles. But then I noticed that he started to change the slant of his writing as he became more opinionated on serious matters. A classic example was his cheer-leading of Bush and Blair before and during the invasion of Iraq back in 2003.

So, yesterday when my mother told me to read the piece he wrote about his daughter I was reluctant. However I did so and I'm glad that I did. Two weeks ago his wife gave birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome which was a massive shock to both of them. In a full page article he talks about the experience in an extremely candid and thought provoking way. I'd recommend anyone to have a read off it if they have the paper lying around at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭escape

I would be a fan of Brendan O'Connor, i enjoy reading his weekly logs and "brendan bites" in the life section and in general enjoy his articles. Last week Barry Egan (back page of the living section - social diary) mentioned that Brendan and his wife Sarah had a second baby girl Mary, all well etc. So i was shocked to read the headline of his articlein yesterdays indo - it bought a tear to my eye as he described the last 2 weeks of his life and how he and his family are coming to terms with the new addition to their family, It is well worth a read as it is so honest, straight from the heart. Whether you are a fan or not i don't think you could not be touched by the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No jokes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No jokes please.

[/thread]

Is he the mace advert guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

snyper wrote: »
    [/thread]

Is he the mace advert guy?

Yeah.

I don't usually read anything by O'Connor, he just irritates me too much, but I agree this article is worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Whilst I am sure that some people who have been touched in some way by Down's Syndrome will undoubtedly find the article of interest, I personally couldn't give a flying fúck about Brendan O'Connors innermost feelings. I have seen snippets of him demeaning members of the public on various talent shows when they were obviously not 100% at the races.

In this light, a bleeding heart article will not make me think that he's suddenly become a more decent person overnight. Perhaps he may now re-think the way he deals with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like many here, the thought of reading a BOC article would normally bring my bile up but it's a very touching article and my heart goes out to any family affected by this, no matter how I feel about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

He's still a big pile of steaming sh*te.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Whilst I am sure that some people who have been touched in some way by Down's Syndrome will undoubtedly find the article of interest, I personally couldn't give a flying fúck about Brendan O'Connors innermost feelings. I have seen snippets of him demeaning members of the public on various talent shows when they were obviously not 100% at the races.

In this light, a bleeding heart article will not make me think that he's suddenly become a more decent person overnight. Perhaps he may now re-think the way he deals with others.

To be honest, I don't think the fact Brendan O'Connor has written this article should be counted against it. Simply taken as a piece written by a father of a newborn who has Down's syndrome, it is a touching and thought provoking article. The identity of the author doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mecanoman wrote: »
    He's still a big pile of steaming sh*te.

You missed this, didn't you?...
    No jokes please.

Have some respect please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I wouldnt be a fan of Brendan O'Connor, but I read his piece yesterday and found it very moving.

I am sure it was very difficult for him to put down on paper, exactly what him and his wife were going through when they found out and how they have been trying to come to terms with it.

His reactions to the "do Gooders" and the way people say things when they hear such news, was an eye opener. It has me change my attitude to the way I would normally respond in this circumstance.

I wish him and his family the best, we are all put on this earth for a reason and I hope he can enjoy many happy years with his young baby Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I find it extremely difficult to take anything that guy writes seriously, even if it is on a serious subject.

He should consider himself lucky to have the platform of a national newspaper. The other parents of children with Downs aren't so lucky. Not that it makes any difference to his predicament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You missed this, didn't you?...

Looked to be more of a factual statement than a joke to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Ok, first up I hate the Sunday Independent and along with Eoin Harris and Barry Egan, Brendan O' Connor is one of the main reasons why. Years ago when he first came on the scene he was very funny and I liked his articles. But then I noticed that he started to change the slant of his writing as he became more opinionated on serious matters. A classic example was his cheer-leading of Bush and Blair before and during the invasion of Iraq back in 2003.

So, yesterday when my mother told me to read the piece he wrote about his daughter I was reluctant. However I did so and I'm glad that I did. Two weeks ago his wife gave birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome which was a massive shock to both of them. In a full page article he talks about the experience in an extremely candid and thought provoking way. I'd recommend anyone to have a read off it if they have the paper lying around at home.

could have wrote that post myself OP. I had a low opinion of Brendan O'Connor as a journalist (along with the rest of the Sindo collection) but that article yesterday was outstanding writing. The honesty with how he expressed his emotions was inbelievable and I would recommend to everyone to have a read of it. One of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

TomD101 wrote: »
    One of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

:D Sorry but is that you in your avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I read that article yesterday and was very touched by it. It's very close to the hearts of those in my house as my stepsister had a down's baby four years ago. Of course it was a huge shock but maybe we got over it easier than some, because my stepbrother also has DS. My step-nephew now goes to a "normal" playschool with his little brother, he's just become a big brother for the second time to his baby sister, and next year he'll be going to "normal" school with his older brother. Children born with Down's Syndrome these days have far more opportunities than children born with it 20 years ago. However people in general still find it difficult to know how to react...but the last thing parents want is sympathy...that little baby is still their beautiful child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I'm not a Brendan O Connor fan either but thought the article was really touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lets face it, Brendan is as he describes himself a scribbler. He is not a writer or a serious journalist, just a hyped up personality writing for a rag that hypes up personalities,

However, although he is a poor writer the emotion of the situation must be overwhelming for him and credit where it is due for him to attempt to articulate in an honest fashion the ups and downs of the personal situation.

i can't help but feel pity, and hope in that article. Of course though that's the Indo style. The cult of me me me. Sometimes though people go through amazing experiences and it is a triumph that superficial writing can give way to thought provoking and challenging articles like that.

It's a shame that it had to happen to him before he could grasp the nettle of any serious issue. You wouldn't have caught him writing about down syndrom and it's affects in a million years if it hadn't happened to him personally.

Best of luck to the both of them and I hope they enjoy each other for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Like most Im not a big fan of his personally, but that was a very well written, touching article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is a semblance of a good writer in that article.

Id say the weekly pressure of writing 7 "sarcastic" articles for that paper is the reason why he normally turns out a load of rubbish. His food articles are the only good ones as you can see he is passionate about food.

Good luck to him and his family though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't stand his media persona and this event in his life doesn't change that one little bit. However, only those close to him know what he's really like as a person (I also doubt it's a coincidence that all the more "high-profile" Independent Newspapers employees take the "anti liberal" line - seriously agenda-pushing group of newspapers) and this is a difficult place for anyone to be in. I found the article very moving and heartfelt too and it made me separate BO'C the journo and BO'C the dad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

am i the only one reading all these replies in brendan o'connors voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This doesn't change my opinion of him. However, his child will have good support and opportunities that weren't available we'll say three decades ago. Having worked with special needs kids in the past I gained small insight into how hard it is on their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

deisedevil wrote: »
    :D Sorry but is that you in your avatar?

I don't get you?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

TomD101 wrote: »
    could have wrote that post myself OP. I had a low opinion of Brendan O'Connor as a journalist (along with the rest of the Sindo collection) but that article yesterday was outstanding writing. The honesty with how he expressed his emotions was inbelievable and I would recommend to everyone to have a read of it. One of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    You need to read more!

He's a tabloid journalist with an attitude ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Got the impression (right or wrong) that he had sat at the computer & simply typed. It may not be the best written column ever but you can tell it's from the heart (as opposed to his normal stuff, I know!) which is what makes the article I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm indifferent to Brendan O'Connor - I don't love him, I don't hate him. Sometimes I read his column, sometimes I don't. I'm glad I read this particular article though. Imo, it's moving and heart-warming.

I had a cousin, Melissa. She had DS and she died in 2009, aged fifteen. I always remember when we were kids, myself and my cousins would play together on our grandparents farm, collecting eggs and things and Melissa could never really join in. She had difficulty with movement and with speech too.
    I can still recall thinking to myself how sad it was that she couldn't play with us. I used to wonder if she was sad as well, watching from the sidelines. With hindsight, I know that she was never saddened. She didn't seem to ever think about things she couldn't do, and only focused on those that she could.

When Melissa died and I witnessed the grief, not only experienced by her own family, but honestly by everyone who ever met her, I saw things completely differently. Everyone had a story to tell. Her funeral day wasn't just one filled with tears, it was filled with laughter too, the laughter of a million memories.

As a child, I thought she was living out the outskirts, missing out, but the reality is, she brought goodness and happiness everywhere she went and the only thing that is missing out now is the world, without her in it.

Brendan O'Connor has a beautiful new baby girl who, no doubt, will bring him copious amounts of joy. Maybe she'll make him see things differently. I think she already has and she's only two weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm pretty sure there was a bit of uproar a few years ago when mary ellen synon or emer o'kelly had a go at the special olympics. how i would pay to see a water cooler moment between whichever it was and brenday o'connor now. so what if he's a dick, i wish him and his family all the best with their new addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Good ole Beefy - he'll get a page in the Sindo out of any topic whatsoever.

Advertisement