Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marie-Louise O Donnell on Kenny

Options
  • 01-09-2010 4:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I'm a regular listener to Pat Kenny, if only because he is, despite the many criticisms of him, very much on the ball with current affairs and economic issues. He gives us a serious discussion on economics in the morning, while also giving a decent conversation on a wide variety of books.

Of late, however, there has been this Marie-Louise O Donnell character on his show. In a sentence: she sounds as obnoxiously nasal and "horsey" as that awful article, Avril Doyle. Listening to her now several times it was killing me where I heard that name before, and then I finally remembered. Over on The Midnight Hour on RTÉ 1 television about 8 years ago one "Marie Louise O Donnell" went on the show with Vincent Browne where she went on a rant against the Irish language and, wait for it, the money given to promote Irish should instead be given to promote ...you guessed it ...OPERA! (she was representing DCU that night, if I recall)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Browne, and the other members of the panel, rightly hammed ten (at least) shades of shíte out of her there and then.

Anyway, why is this pretentious D4 gobdaw - who hasn't even a doctorate to match her pretensions (shock, horror) - on an otherwise intelligent current affairs programme? She would be more suited to some lightweight X Factor/America's Next Top Model, etc programme. TV3 would, like, love her, like.

There are many other serious, contemplative people who could be on Today with Pat Kenny, people who add to my knowledge of current affairs, history and the world in which I live. She offers nothing.

/rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

LOL... that's some rant. But I do agree with a lot of what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She is a regular on Vincent Browne. Her hurried hot air delivery carries all the authority of an Enda Kenny speech, who she happens to be a cheerleader for. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I'm a regular listener to Pat Kenny, if only because he is, despite the many criticisms of him, very much on the ball with current affairs and economic issues. He gives us a serious discussion on economics in the morning, while also giving a decent conversation on a wide variety of books.

Of late, however, there has been this Marie-Louise O Donnell character on his show. In a sentence: she sounds as obnoxiously nasal and "horsey" as that awful article, Avril Doyle. Listening to her now several times it was killing me where I heard that name before, and then I finally remembered. Over on The Midnight Hour on RTÉ 1 television about 8 years ago one "Marie Louise O Donnell" went on the show with Vincent Browne where she went on a rant against the Irish language and, wait for it, the money given to promote Irish should instead be given to promote ...you guessed it ...OPERA! (she was representing DCU that night, if I recall)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Browne, and the other members of the panel, rightly hammed ten (at least) shades of shíte out of her there and then.

Anyway, why is this pretentious D4 gobdaw - who hasn't even a doctorate to match her pretensions (shock, horror) - on an otherwise intelligent current affairs programme? She would be more suited to some lightweight X Factor/America's Next Top Model, etc programme. TV3 would, like, love her, like.

There are many other serious, contemplative people who could be on Today with Pat Kenny, people who add to my knowledge of current affairs, history and the world in which I live. She offers nothing.

/rant over.

she is indeed an incredibly obnoxious , crass and overbearing woman , the kind you imagine might sprawl herself across the bonet of your car if that was what it took to gain your attention

He sensationalist description of countryside life was that akin to a member of the Star Ship Enterprise going in back in time and describing the life of a caveman... I reckon she thinks most people outside the Pale still eat with their hands..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

irishh_bob wrote: »
    she is.......the kind you imagine might sprawl herself across the bonet of your car
    Indeed. I am imagining this right now. Thank you, Mr. Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Indeed. I am imagining this right now. Thank you, Mr. Bob.

btw , im good friends with an excellent panel beater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I think she is just a 'filler-in' for the silly season ... hope she will be gone back to DCU or wherever when normal service resumes :(

Hey Rebel heart, she's on The Vincent Browne Show now.

Pat Kenny back to normal prog. length on Monday .. summer officially over & normal service restored. No more Marie Louise :P

• Advertisement

I dont know whether it's hopeless optimism, Callan57, but just cos she is back working in DCU doesnt necessarily mean that she wont be appearing with Pat Kenny again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

irishh_bob wrote: »
    she is indeed an incredibly obnoxious , crass and overbearing woman , the kind you imagine might sprawl herself across the bonet of your car if that was what it took to gain your attention

Bonnet

Hmmm... on her front or back:cool:

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Hey Rebel heart, she's on The Vincent Browne Show now.

Feck off with yourself there ya rising bollocks!;) Not surprising. TV3 is so seriously trash - Next Top Model/X Factor, me arse - yer wan who hasn't even got a PhD would be in her element there. The dimness of it all is ineffable.

On a more serious note it's despairing that the Irish broadcasting industry is apparently regulated but people polluting the Irish broadcasting environment with the "economies of scale" (i.e. trash foreign programmes made by TV3's owners, Doughty Hanson, are widely used in the supposedly "Irish" TV3) TV3 trash receive no penalty for bringing the population's entertainment/intelligence level down to that of the British tabloids (and their "Oirish" representatives).

I'm thinking with this sort of cultural sell-out that Ray Burke was the minister when this licence was given out, which happened in 1990 according to this. And holy Mary mother of God, guess who was Minister for Communications in this state in 1990? Raphael Burke!

(not that I've gone serious off-topic there! Mea culpa)

She turned up again this morning ... hanging around Temple Bar with a squad of likely lads who apparently are unable to exchange a couple of words with the other half of the human race.
    Would she ever go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It's better than the other weekly feature, Valarie Cox roots around rubbish bins.
    Yeah, people are dumping illegally, we get it. We don't need to hear it every fcukin week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

*facepalms* she's down at the Ploughing Match today - is nothing safe from this haridan?

I thought she was a lecturer in DCU? If so, are we paying her wages and whatever she charges RTE for her insights - if of course - she charges them? :mad:

arrrrrgggghhhhh my ears..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I like MLD.

She's a regular on Vincent Brownes programme.

God I can't abide that woman with her fake over the top enthusiasm ... she must have the most annoying, shrill voice on Radio. Would RTE ever please get rid of her? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Poly wrote: »
    It's better than the other weekly feature, Valarie Cox roots around rubbish bins.
    Yeah, people are dumping illegally, we get it. We don't need to hear it every fcukin week.

Whatever you might say about Valerie Cox, she does benefit local communities fighting campaigns for rights and so forth. Last April, for example, she came out to my local community, on behalf of the Pat Kenny show, to report on the NRA's removal of pedestrian rights of ways and how local people were in effect forbidden from now walking to their local villages because of this NRA decision. Shortly after that we got the NRA to place footpaths all along the roundabouts in question. From her visit to that public meeting in our community centre last April she seems to be a really nice, genuine person (I know for a fact she kept in touch with the organisers for some time after the show was produced to see how they were getting on)

This part of the Pat Kenny show, in other words, makes localities better by highlighting abuses of power by more powerful actors in society and seeking to change them. This is an extremely valuable service on the part of RTÉ.

I doubt this Marie Louise O Donnell would be seen dead in my part of the world - and she certainly isn't doing a job on RTÉ which will highlight issues faced by communities across Ireland. As somebody else said she seems to be very "horsey" in her socio-economic sentiments. We shouldn't have our licence fees resurrecting that culture.

• Advertisement

Oh Jesus. Turned on the TV anocht and I can hear her horsey Avril Doyle accent before I see her. I looked up and there she was in her full glory talking through her nasal things down at us, the poor little people without affected accents, horses (and blue shirts). Cheap, tabloid, lower class stuff - in fairness, she's on The Apprentice. Mutton. Lamb.

Well done, TV3 - as classy as you've always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Don't mind her myself.

Surely people's anger should be redirected towards a more worthy cause such as messrs Duffy and Tubridy...:confused:

Much more offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

oh god shes on now talking about teh sewers in dublin. she needs to pull her head out of her backside with her language and speech. She sounds like shes rehearsing for shakespere. By the way what does coagulate mean? sounds like a posh d4 way of saying blocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

neris wrote: »
    oh god shes on now talking about teh sewers in dublin. she needs to pull her head out of her backside with her language and speech. She sounds like shes rehearsing for shakespere. By the way what does coagulate mean? sounds like a posh d4 way of saying blocked

I really hate her attitude. "Oh there's these jolly little men and would you look at them working away in the filth and them so jolly because they don't know any better. What a chirpy lot the working classes are!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

From the latin vb cóaguláre to make a liquid thick .also cogére to drive together.

You might be familiar with the word 'cogent' as in 'she put forward a very cogent argument' i.e. very precise and tightly put together.

This would be an English derivation of the word.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Hope that helps.
    Thanks Flutt, that helps alot. Now that we can fully comprehend the PK show, it's much more enjoyable.

Quick lads, she's still down there... lock her in...

lockdown_pic.jpg

Poly wrote: »
    Thanks Flutt, that helps alot. Now that we can fully comprehend the PK show, it's much more enjoyable.

You think that MLD would know not to use big "college" words so that the punter of average intelligence (similar to the working class people she meets) might have a chance of understanding her monologues..

telekon wrote: »
    Don't mind her myself.

Surely people's anger should be redirected towards a more worthy cause such as messrs Duffy and Tubridy...:confused:

Much more offensive.

If somebody had nipped Duffy and Tubridy in the bud when they were starting out we might not have to endure them now. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken those two supreme wafflers have many threads dedicated to them already so the answer to your rhetorical question is: surely not!

She probably meant Colgate and it was a convoluted attempt at product placement? Or maybe she was just absolutely mentally exhausted from the intensity of being on The Apprentice on that most intellectual of stations, TV3, last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In fairness to her her website is a work of art. Lol

Advertisement