Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it okay for a man to cry at a Movie (movie spoilers within)?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

What do we want? Fry's dog! When do we want it? Fry's dog!

How could I forget, thanks Karl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

NothingMan wrote: »
    I was busy making out with the girl I brough to see it. Why else would a guy go see that movie?

I don't know, tbh. I know one who even owns it. I watched it expecting to be in tears after all these men cried (I don't cry easily) and was distinctly underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Millicent wrote: »
    I don't know, tbh. I know one who even owns it. I watched it expecting to be in tears after all these men cried (I don't cry easily) and was distinctly underwhelmed.

yeah it was pretty ****ty i got to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Anyone that doesn't cry at Marley & Me has a heart of stone! Hachi is another heart breaking one. Damn dogs get me every time!

Now if you're crying at Dawson's Creek or Glee or some shite like that, you're a Wendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

The Dirty Dozen is very emotional of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I almost cried at brokeback mountain.

We have a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ClutchIt wrote: »

We have a weiner

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

ClutchIt wrote: »

We have a winner

Did you like the scene where The Joker made his pencil disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

my kids have "Up" on DVD and watch it a lot....
    ..it often get's to me because it I cannot help but think about the linked story below, which I came across last year when it broke..

I've four daughters, the eldest is just a little younger in age to the girl in the story, and to be honest I still well up a bit even thinking about...

This is the only thing that has made me cry in years.....

...and every time the kids put on the movie I try to give them a big hug and it drives them nuts ! :o

Sorry from bringing some sentimental reality into AH !
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/pixar-128978-up-movie.html

HUNTINGTON BEACH - Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing - a movie.
    From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.
    After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.
    The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.
    The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.
    Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.
    With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar - and "Up" - were a part of her only child’s last day.
    “When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”
    Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

THE PREVIEWS
    Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn’t let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.
    Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum-Moore said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum-Moore said.
    On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."
    “It was from then on, she said, ‘I have to see that movie. It is so cool,’” Lynch said.
    Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar’s movies because she loved animals.
    Two days later Colby’s health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.
    By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.
    At that point, Orum-Moore, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call PixarandDisney to see if someone could help.
    Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum-Moore said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum-Moore guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.
    Pixar officials listened to Colby’s story and agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum-Moore recalled.
    She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.
    “Do you think you can hang on?” Colby’s mother said.
    “I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” the girl replied.

THE MOVIE
    At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins’ home with the DVD.
    He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.
    Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.
    At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.
    The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.
    “He couldn’t have been nicer,” said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. “His eyes were just welled up.”
    After the movie, Colby’s dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.
    Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.
    Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an “adventure book” - a scrap book the main character’s wife used to chronicle her journeys.
    “I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Marley and me had me in bits, I own a labrador and a badly behaved one at that. It was like I was watching my own dog.I was by myself hungover on a Sunday-big mistake! They drag it out too for a good 20 minutes, absolute torture.

Most lads I know who own dogs will all admit to crying when watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

This 6 minute documentary got me, big time.

Oh God :( If you can watch that without crying you're made of stone. I'm in tears here, I know I'm a woman but still...:(

Reminds me of our dog, we had to put her down as well as she was really sick and she had 3 legs too because she got knocked down by a car years ago, never seemed to bother her though. We used to call her the tripod :) Anything with dogs is enough to get me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Titanic always makes me cry.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Fart wrote: »
    I don't ever want to see Marley & Me; I went through that experience.

But... Toy Story 3...
    holding hands... won't spoil... little fcuker leaves for College... now that was sad.
    That was pretty powerful stuff for a kids film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Swamp. Of. Sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'll go on record saying that Toy Story 3 has THE most powerful scene you'll see in the cinema this year in it, and not a word is said during it. anyone who's seen it knows what part I'm talking about, stunning stuff. I had a quick look around and there were people welling up everywhere during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I can only really remember crying at one film.

It was the 1987 film Cry Freedom.
    There is a scene in which a large number of children are gunned down while protest marching against the teaching of Afrikaans in schools.
    The protest was part of the Soweto Uprising.

The film is based on the true story of Steve Biko.

Here's the scene.
    If it doesn't get to you somewhat, you're a cold heartless etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I cry at this scene in The Champ everytime I see it (welling up now just thinking about it).

Saddest movie I've ever seen.

If you can watch the full clip, from start to finish without shedding a tear .. you're a Sarah Connor hating cyborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The only thing along these lines that got to me was the Futurama episode 'Luck of the Fryrish'.
    When Phillip Fry finds out his brother - Yancy Fry (upon Fry's disappearance) stole his name, identity and completed Fry's ambitions and wildest dreams using Phillip's 7 leaf lucky clover (all of which Yancy was envious of) Phillip goes to **** up his grave in a rage. The episode is told with flashbacks to the present and how Fry's family coped with him gone. It's then revealed that this wasn't the case and that Yancy had infact named his son after his uncle in memory of him and Phillip Jr. completed his uncle's dreams as a tribute to Fry.

Always get's me. Even the episode's soundtrack with 'Don't You Forget About Me' gets me.

I believe the show won a Primetime Emmy award. And Matt Groening said it was his favourite piece of television he had a hand in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Yeah Marley and Me got me, the dog looks exactly the same as mine, who is getting pretty old now :(

As for Toy Story 3
    I saw it tonight, plenty of the girls in the cinema welled up but it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, I dont think. I think its aimed more at the 18 - 25 age range tbh, ones who grew up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Nooo,I remember seeing this and thinking "What?No,Futurama's not sad,what the...NOOOOOOOOOOO"

I turn over when this scene comes on still.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I know all there is to know about the crying game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

krudler wrote: »
    I'll go on record saying that Toy Story 3 has THE most powerful scene you'll see in the cinema this year in it, and not a word is said during it. anyone who's seen it knows what part I'm talking about, stunning stuff. I had a quick look around and there were people welling up everywhere during it.

totally agree and try watch it with your 5 year old son....there was fathers in bits when i went to see it.Fantastic film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I didn't think it was that powerful really. Yes a few tears welled up but nothing huge. Great movie though. Up! had a much more emotional ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Confab wrote: »
    I didn't think it was that powerful really. Yes a few tears welled up but nothing huge. Great movie though. Up! had a much more emotional ending.

The scene where they were about to be doomed by going into furnace thingy in the dump when we thought Hugso the bear turned good, but didn't?

Or when he was leaving for college and left his toys with the little girl?

Funny when Mr. Potato Head came back as a "Lincoln Log".

Spoilers above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Fart wrote: »
    The scene where they were about to be doomed by going into furnace thingy in the dump when we thought Hugso the bear turned good, but didn't?

Or when he was leaving for college and left his toys with the little girl?

Funny when Mr. Potato Head came back as a "Lincoln Log".

Spoilers above

Prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nice spoilers fart. Learn to use some spoiler tags next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

thankfully ive seen it, otherwise id be raging seeing a post like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Green Mile
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    Marley & Me

Sobbed at them all.....I hold my hands up, I'm a colossal wuss. Havent caught the ghey yet though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

I cried my damn eyes out at the green mile and several other films.
    "He killed them with their love. That's how it is every day, all over the world."
    :(:(:(

Yeah I cried and screw anyone who says its not OK.

Advertisement