Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To the morons in Allied Irish Windscreens

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Not only didn't you have a clue when I asked you to go to my girlfriend's workplace and fit a new windscreen for her, you decided to snap a trim piece, glue it back together and even though there was clearly a canyon between the surfaces of the two pieces you saw fit not to tell her. Then, to make matters worse, you couldn't figure out how to put the rubber trim back in around the screen, so you decided to glue it in with tiger seal.

Thanks a million, the car looks ten times worse than it did with a cracked screen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Not only didn't you have a clue when I asked you to go to my girlfriend's workplace and fit a new windscreen for her, you decided to snap a trim piece, glue it back together and even though there was clearly a canyon between the surfaces of the two pieces you saw fit not to tell her. Then, to make matters worse, you couldn't figure out how to put the rubber trim back in around the screen, so you decided to glue it in with tiger seal.

Thanks a million, the car looks ten times worse than it did with a cracked screen.

I use mallow windscreens very proffesional and obliging. Top class service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

cant you complain to have it redone, say theres water leaking in or something and then be there wile they are doing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

that would drive me mad, have you been back onto them? what did they have to say for themselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're welcome.

P.S - Your GF is a fúckin' little roide!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

rofl@MM - she is actually, bloody polish coming over here taking all our fat ugly men.

Can't complain, as I've just seen it now. So it'll be a phone call to a supervisor tomorrow, but having worked for MINI, the trim piece will take a few days to come back in now and the car's going to whistle when it's driven until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would you not have waited to see what their response was before posting up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Why would I do that? They snapped/damaged/glued the trim pieces, couldn't fit the rubber seals properly, and damaged those by bodging them into place with glue. They've done damage, and concealed it. Pretty cut and shut case if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Surely thats the point of a forum to air frustrations at shabby workmanship?
    Point is he shouldnt have had to be worrying about it if the job was done right in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

So it's not just up here! They cracked a windscreen fitting it to my brothers car - it was down low, so they covered it with sealant and told him it'd be grand:rolleyes:

I left my car into the same place, inside was filthy afterwards and they'd broken off a corner of my scuttle panel.

Incompetent f*cks:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bmw535d wrote: »
    cant you complain to have it redone, say theres water leaking in or something and then be there wile they are doing it

Why complain about water leaking? The fecktards have made a complete hash of it. I'd go for the jugular...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

They 'fixed' a couple chips in my windscreen in November....only I then got a document saying it needed to be paid for 2 months ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I used this crowd too, picked up my car after having the windscreen replaced and the glass was warped right infront of the drivers position. Fair enough they replaced it, but even the replacement screen is ever so slightly warped on the passenger side, only noticed a few months later.

Should have had a dealer do it and paid the difference myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They seem to be Aviva's main preferred partner now but are quite slow to deal with and seem not very customer friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Hard luck Paintdoc, you found out the hard way - replacing MINI windscreens requires competent and professional hands.
    The band of apes that replaced the windscreen on herself's car made a similar effort to what you've seen.

1) A-pillar trim damaged - flew off while driving soon after.
    2) The rubber trim at the top of the screen was next to come loose
    3) The seal in general was not the greatest, you could hear the air whistling in somewhere.

Not sure if your car has the quarter-circle gutter pieces at the top of the A pillar, you could lose that too if the A pillar trim is goosed. To be honest you're lucky the damage to the A-pillar trim is so apparent, at least you can catch em for it. If they had got it off in one piece and then refitted it without a bit of silicone then you'd be waving goodbye to it the next time you hit the motorway.
    That rubber trim will work loose at high speed too if it isn't put back properly, bit of a heartstopper as it starts flappin back against the roof - you don't want to hear a heavy thump-thump-thump off your car at 120kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who are the most reliable & best to get to fit a windscreen. I need a screen for my car. I have windscreen cover. I mentioned to the dealer to see if they could look after it through my insurance while car was in for warranty work & they didnt seem at all interested. I thought the dealer might be a good idea due to some of the horror stories Ive heard about auto wiper function failure after windscreen replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Had a similar experience with a large franchise windscreen place.

Broke the original screen taking it out, glass everywhere which they didn't clean up properly. Didn't refit the two important rain water gutters which deflect water away from the ECU :rolleyes: When I rang to inform them of this I was told they were in the bin!!!
    They also put a hole in my leather seat by sitting on a piece of broken glass they didn't clean up.

They got a serious bollocking and a bill for €345 plus vat for a new seat base, plus fitting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've had good experience with Autoglass. Professional, courteous and the individuals who I dealt with knew their stuff. Never had any issues afterwards either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I had a windscreen replaced by Allied Irish Windscreens via Quinn Insurance about 4 years ago without any problems. Just for some balance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

got a windscreen replaced before , my car had that climate glass extra in BMW's i got a ****ty ordinary windscreen without the green sun-band aswell, was well ticked of but the insurance company said they only cover the cheapest windscreens. a few weeks later the aerial for the Nokia car kit fell of as they didn't replace the sticky tape for that, seems they are in so much of a hurry the just don't care. i've seen idiots slam doors closed with all the windows up which due to the pressure change inside the car it landed the newly fitted window with soft glue out on the bonnet lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Advanced mobile windscreens in Cork are very good, I've used them for years without any problems.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've had good experience with Autoglass. Professional, courteous and the individuals who I dealt with knew their stuff. Never had any issues afterwards either.

Autoglass in Cork are very good, Richy is the manager / franchise operator iirc, top man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

RoverJames wrote: »
    Autoglass in Cork are very good, Richy is the manager / franchise operator iirc, top man.

+1

No bullcrap. Also, replacing the screen is the last option with them from my experience. They have gone down the cheaper repair route a few times for me even though it was through my insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Absurdum wrote: »
    I had a windscreen replaced by Allied Irish Windscreens via Quinn Insurance about 4 years ago
    So had I. I'd have a few complaints, job was far from perfect.
    1. I called Quinn/them on a wednesday 9am and by friday midday they still hadn't turned up. When I phoned the depot the cheeky bolix in charge said they were too busy and wouldn't be out till monday. I phoned back to HQ and they got a team out from another depot that afternoon
    2. Sliced the trim on the A-piller with a stanley. Fortunately you wouldn't notice it unless you looked for it.
    3. Scratched the front of the clock and stereo with the nozzle on their vacuum cleaner. Minor, but I could see it.
    4. I caught this one before it was too late: they left the windscreen to rest against the dash while the glue was drying. This left a big gap on the outside, between the black plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen and the windscreen itself. It was cured by shoving cardboard between the dash and the windscreen to raise it off the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have used Autoglass in Cork as well. Very fast and professional job, the two guys came out on time and did a great job.
    I haven't got W/S cover with my current insurance but I would use Autoglass again definately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

bazz26 wrote: »

I got the windscreen replaced in a Renault5 recently by Autoglass. I rang them on a Thursday evening and got talking to a chap named Seamus. Sound as ya like! He said he'd check to see if they had a screen and he'd ring me back at half 9 the next morning. half 9 on the dot he rang back with bad news. Said he'd keep looking. Saturday morning he rang to say he found one in Belfast and he'd have it and would install it on Monday. Rang Monday morning to say the fitter was on his way. Job done.

These lads don't mess around and are very good to deal with and honest. Keeping a promise to ring at a certain time without the customer having to ring first goes a long way in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Any pics of the shoddy work?

Any pics of the hot polish gf?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

No No that will only confuse the issue dont bother with the pics of the Work ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It took Allied 3 attempts to put a windscreen into my car.

The fitter cracked the 1st and also the 2nd windscreen.His excuse was that the car must not be true and straight,that it must have been crashed or damaged at some point.

My reply was to him.......................

"I bought this car from new and its never been crashed at all,problem must be that you dont have the windscreen lined up right,its out of position at the bottom right hand side".

I showed him wherre the screen was slanted off to 1 side.He didnt like that 1 bit.He wnt off to get a 3rd screen.Took him 2 days to come back with the 3rd screen,I must have really pi55ed him off by pointing out his terrible and crap workmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

wyndham wrote: »
    Any pics of the shoddy work?

Any pics of the hot polish gf?

Just go down your local town/village and have a gawk.

Theres more hot polish and eastern european women with jeans bet onto them in this country than there are hot irish young ones.

Most irish young ones seeem to think that its cool and sexy to walk around the streets all day long in saggy pyjama bottoms and stupid furry boots.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I had to use (via my insurance policy) the local Allied Windscreen crowd.

They firstly tried to put on a IS200 windscreen onto my GS300 :rolleyes::rolleyes:, then when they finally came back with the correct windscreen, they "forgot" to put back on the trim piece around the mirror thats bonded to the windscreen :mad: and were going to throw out the rubber rain channels that are located on the outer corners of the windscreen :eek::eek:

I refused to sign the docket until the work was set right.

To ALL reading this, ALWAYS inspect the full windscreen job including the re-fitting of the panels/seals etc around the windscreen before your sign the docket.

If you sign that docket you are declaring that you are satisfied with the work!

Advertisement