Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

Could potentially be moving to Waterford soon, and I've been checking out apartments and houses on daft.ie, and i've been down recently to get a feel of the place, and figure out where things are. Just wondering could any of ye waterfordians tell me what areas would be best to avoid getting accommodation in?

Just general ideas of the not so good areas. Thanks! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Stay away from geoffs :)

seriously, from my experience:

ballybeg
    larchville
    cherrymount
    templers hall (students)
    any apartments in and around the quay.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »

ballybeg
    larchville
    cherrymount
    templers hall (students)

Good luck.

What's wrong with the apartments around by the Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

actually id like to know why "stay away from geoffs" i have been in there many a time and had a good laugh with friends. I dont go in there now cos im living in the USA but just wondering....
    thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Shams wrote: »
    actually id like to know why "stay away from geoffs" i have been in there many a time and had a good laugh with friends. I dont go in there now cos im living in the USA but just wondering....
    thx

thats just his personal bias against geoffs tis a grand spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jondow

Moved down two years ago from the 'wesht'. good value to be found renting outside waterford ... dunmore,tramore, etc. nice part of the country all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Shams wrote: »
    thx

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

ec18 wrote: »
    thats just his personal bias against geoffs tis a grand spot

You missed this part of his post >:)<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ballybeg
    larchville
    cherrymount
    templers hall (students)

Good luck.
    All them places are grand apart from geoffs. Anywhere you go is grand. Where are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'd avoid Ballybeg and Lismore Park, myself-there are much nicer areas to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »
    All them places are grand apart from geoffs. Anywhere you go is grand. Where are you thinking of?

In fairness, they're not Seanie, not if you don't konw the places like, althought I was surprised to see Cherrymount in there.
    I'd avoid Ballybeg and Lismore Park, myself-there are much nicer areas to live in.

Lismore Park? :confused: Is that some kind of joke or something? You could get unlucky with students but that's pretty rare now with a lot less student houses than there used to be.

@OP: Why don't you tell us a few of the areas you were thinking about and we'll tell you the good and bad points. Because we could all spend loads of time listing places to avoid but you might not even have been conisdering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

i think the dunmore road area is the nicest part of waterford by far. rental prices have come down a lot in the area in recent times..

Live in or near the city centre and you'll have services within walking distance and something to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Along the Dunmore Road is the 'posh part' of Waterford.

You can rent a 3 bed in Collins Avenue for €700 a month.

Do you want a central location?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's personal experience in my part lads,

Mate of mine was surrounded by scumbags down in cherrymount so I dunno maybe it's grand

ballybeg and larchville I'm sure don't need an explanation.

Houses in templers hall look fine but I'm sure being surrounded by students might put someone off

apartments in and around the quay I have lived in for 2 years and IMO it's a nightmare espically over there where aldi is and around. Again, just personal opinion.

If you drive op best stick with dunmore road and I thought lismore park was fine when I lived there.

And yes, one of these :) usually means a joke k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Its a renters market. id move up near Ardkeen or the Dunmore road while the rents are cheap

Templars hall is full of scumbags these days. burnt out cars and walls destroyed in graffiti. Broken glass all over the streets, and thats without the students

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

imo you should probably avoid anywhere near the john st/parnell st/manor st area or you will never get any sleep before 4 o clock. this is the centre of all the clubs.

Ledger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

As a fair few have said already, go Dunmore rd. area, not that its any way better than some of the places mentioned but most parts are quieter and cheaper than the rest of the town. You could end up paying 600 on a one bed appartment in the town but you'd get a house for that on the dunmore road in certain parts.
    Wouldn't bother too much with daft.ie, from personal experience you're better avoiding estste agents and looking in the local papers for places to rent. While there are a few private lettings on the site the majority are done through letting agencies that will rip you off compared to dealing with the landlord.
    If you have a car then you have loads of options for letting around waterford, even places like tramore , passage or the other side of the bridge. Depends on what your situation is as well, if your young and single the town would probably be a better option compared to further out in the 'burbs.

I think daft.ie is grand. its only Book a Room you want to avoid. :pac:

thats also from personal experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

live outside the city if you can. cos the whole lot of it is a kip.! thats my tuppence worth. and obviously more crime ina built up area.

Meatwad wrote: »
    As a fair few have said already, go Dunmore rd. area, not that its any way better than some of the places mentioned but most parts are quieter and cheaper than the rest of the town. You could end up paying 600 on a one bed appartment in the town but you'd get a house for that on the dunmore road in certain parts.
    Wouldn't bother too much with daft.ie, from personal experience you're better avoiding estste agents and looking in the local papers for places to rent. While there are a few private lettings on the site the majority are done through letting agencies that will rip you off compared to dealing with the landlord.
    If you have a car then you have loads of options for letting around waterford, even places like tramore , passage or the other side of the bridge. Depends on what your situation is as well, if your young and single the town would probably be a better option compared to further out in the 'burbs.

600 on a one bed apartment? Daft gives 400-500. You can get a nice place sharing for 300-350. Daft has always been very reliable for me.

If you're wedded to the car, have a decent job, not-single/want to settle down, then the Dunmore rd. is the place where people tend to end up.

Personally, I think the quality of life is far better in the city centre if you want to do anything other than sit in and watch TV all night. Depends on where you're coming from. I like to have plenty within walking distance, but that's me.

A mate of mine lives in O'Connell court off O'Connell st., and those apartments seems fine. You will be living with other people in close proximity though, which seems to come as a surprise and a shock to a lot of Waterford people. ;) Otherwise, go and have a look at places. Make the effort. The best places can be one-offs and not part of apartment blocks.

If you are going to live in the city centre, avoid anywhere near the junction of John's st. and the Manor/Cork rd. That's where the drunken hordes of the south east issue from en masse late at night. Most other parts are fine. There are no really 'bad' areas in the city centre, since most of the bad elements live out in the western suburbs. There are however plenty of 'lonely' areas.

You'll hear a lot of people run down the O'Connell st. area, which is where a lot of apartments have sprung up and a lot of immigrants, students and various other groups live. I wouldn't write it off though, because the increased levels of footfall that this has brought has made the area less lonely than previously and more and more shops, etc. are opening up in the area. Take each apartment there on its merits, some are a lot better than others. Don't listen to talk about anti-social behaviour and ghettoes, etc., I live nearby and I've never seen any trouble in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

A good city centre place would be around Thomas Hill and the stony steps and Barker St.

Barker St. is just behind the Garda barracks (not much trouble so), near to Ballybricken and pubs (but not a major artery to the pubs, so you can sleep ok), and the general benefits of the city centre. They only bad thing is you have to walk up a hill from a supermarket (Dunnes in city square). There are some smaller shops around Ballybricken for milk etc.

Not sure how I'd like it if I had a car though.

dayshah wrote: »
    A good city centre place would be around Thomas Hill and the stony steps and Barker St.

Barker St. is just behind the Garda barracks (not much trouble so), near to Ballybricken and pubs (but not a major artery to the pubs, so you can sleep ok), and the general benefits of the city centre. They only bad thing is you have to walk up a hill from a supermarket (Dunnes in city square). There are some smaller shops around Ballybricken for milk etc.

Not sure how I'd like it if I had a car though.

Mostly, car parking is not as much of an issue in the centre as you might think, since the main traffic is during the day when people are at work. Usually after working hours there is plenty of parking and it is usually possible to get parking in close proximity, if not outside, your house. Obviously, you'd have to go and check out any particular area to check.

The area you mention sounds grand all right. You have ALDI down the road as well. Very hilly though as you say. :)

There's apartments on Mary st. I think that have private parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I lived in an apartment behind city square for 2 years, and it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Thanks for all your replies!!

We're planning on getting an apartment (2 bed), definitely in the city centre, as we don't have a car.

I've figured out how much i'd be willing to pay, i've an idea of what to accept so thats fine. I would find it hard to follow the papers before i get down there, and would rather view some pictures of apartments before going down, as it's a 2+1/2 hour journey, so daft is my best bet really. What's the problem with bookaroom? Lots of agents can be bad, but depends on what goes wrong.

Well generally the areas that i've been interested in are:
    Anne St, O Connell St (James Gate), Mary St, Penrose Lane, James St, Keizer St, Rice Park. So anything to say about these? Definitely do want to stay away from after-pub noise. What about Maritana Gate near the park??

Would love to get a small house, maybe even with a small garden, but as has already been said this'd be hard as most city centre accommodation is in apartments. What about Morgan St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

O connell street is grand if your a paddy dubh.
    Maritana gate is fooking lovely.
    morgans treet is grand aswell actually.

Bookaroom has a place on summer hill. that be a nice place aswell, I'd imagine.
    the like of hillview, norwood, ashley court should be grand aswel. Its only a few minutes walk to city centre and has regular buses also.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

You'd get a small house with a small backyard in Morgan St alright, I lived there a few years back and it was "mostly" grand, except for when my car (onstreet parking only round there) was badly vandalised, reckon it was some drunken fools tooling about after a night at the Forum (a venue just around the corner from Morgan St).

There are some two-up two-downs there, and some "cottage" style one story houses, mostly 2-3 bed, but expect to have smallish sittingrooms/kitchens in comparison to say, a newish semi-d type house in the burbs, as the houses in town are older and that's just the way they were built. So think apartment sized living area but you are in your own house with a garden, no sharing entrance halls and poor sound insulation etc.
    You might get lucky and find a house that's been extended at the back in a central enough location, but you will sacrifice garden space as naturally the bigger kitchen etc will have been extended out into it.

Don't totally write off getting a house with a garden near the areas you're thinking of though - if you look around that end of town there's a lot of smaller houses with gardens for rent at comparable prices to apartments, if you push out of the town a little towards the direction of gracedieu/up towards morrison's road and surrounds etc if you're not sold on the idea of an apartment (and my personal preference is that I hate apartments/flats, having lived in them for a few years).

For e.g. from Morgan St up is mostly terraced houses rather than apartment blocks. You're still within very easy walking distance of everything in the centre from there, and the hypermarket (supervalu market) is slap bang on your doorstep too. Or as others have mentioned, barker st/the glen etc have terraced houses for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The apartment I mentioned was on keizer st. It was very nice and was quiet. One of those ones with the steps up to them outside. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

op, dont go rushing in to renting in the city center. I know some posters say there is more to do in the city center, but there is actually more to do out the dunmore road area.
    plenty of pubs, tesco, next homebase, loads of restaurants, loads of stuff going on. much more to do and see than the city center, cheaper rental and you get a lot more for your rental money.
    the area is also very quiet with hardly any anti social behaviour. pubs have a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
    plenty of buses going anywhere you want and regularly too. wins hands down imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

ballybeg
    larchville
    cherrymount
    templers hall (students)

Good luck.

That's a load of bollocks tbh.

• Advertisement

What's the problem with bookaroom? Lots of agents can be bad, but depends on what goes wrong.

i woke up one morning and there was a person from bookaroom in my bedroom. i flipped out and said what the fook are you doing in my house? they said it was a random check and didnt realise i was at home

i told them to get the fook out. i then went down to bookaroom and went nuts in there

couple of weeks later i was asked to move out."landlord wanted me out" apparently

now im not a bad tenant in anyway, shape or form. house was clean and rent was always paid. all this crap because this idiot lets themselves into my house when i was asleep

they also tried to take money from my deposit to change the locks when i moved out.

anyway. i got the full amount back after lots of bullsh"t

trust me when i tell you do not go anywhere near bookaroom. itll probably end up in the small claims court just to get back what your entitled to

Advertisement