Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault 4 Scrappage victim...

Options
  • 01-04-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Tralee couple Pat and Brid Galvin have literally got their money back on their 1984 Renault 4,26.000 miles and 26 years after they bought it.
    Image427.jpg
    Thanks to the Scrappage scheme in Adams Garage in Tralee,they got a Total of 4.500eu off the price of a new Clio.They originally paid around £3000 for the car in 1984(in Harnetts Renault garage i would guess at that time.)

"We're really getting back what we paid for it" Pat said
    "we've had excellent value out of it"
    "The longest runs we've had with it were up and down to dublin. It needs a bit of work done so we said we would be better off with a bit more comfort."

The safety advantages of a more modern car with airbags were another consideration for the couple.
    Adams joint MD Mike Geoghegan said the transaction was an example of the value of the scrappage scheme "we're delighted for Pat and Brib and we wish them 26 years more trouble free motoring" Mike said.

Excerpt from Kerrys Eye newspaper 01/04/10
    Picture by Carchaeologist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

shame to see the poor car ending its life that way after 26 years of service ,people are always going on about renaults not being reliable and how badly built they are , the renault 4 a true LEGEND

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

Does Adams Renault of Tralee own the R4 van you posted before?

If so, then you would think they would have a little bit more respect for old cars.

Could they not have diverted this R4 from destruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Xlaxeo wrote: »
    Could they not have diverted this R4 from destruction?
    I'm sure you could yourself, if you'll pay €1500 for it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

There is zero justification for a scrappage scheme. Industries that employed more Irish workers, used more native resources, got no bailout, and industry is a term used loosely, just importing and servicing cars. Sad thing to happen.

that renault 4 should be displayed in the renault showroom as an advertisment not scrapped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm sure you could yourself, if you'll pay €1500 for it.;)

You dont have to. The Government scrappage allowance on a Clio is only €320 because its a bio-fuel car and the VRT is only €320. Offer the dealer that and he'll probably sell it to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In me hole will they get 26 years out of a Clio.

Some stupid chip will go poof and that's the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kasper wrote: »
    that renault 4 should be displayed in the renault showroom as an advertisment not scrapped
    Being honest,its pretty hanging,it would need a lot of work to make presentable. It looks like it has 100.000 miles up,not 26.000. Im going to call to Adams tomorrow and see if its there.
    Does Adams Renault of Tralee own the R4 van you posted before?
    They do indeed have the 89 4L van too.This be her..
    Image949.jpg
    If so, then you would think they would have a little bit more respect for old cars.
    As it is its a great advertisment for the scrappage scheme,and Renaults apparent longetivity,couple have same renault for 26 years since new sounds great.. Ticks all the boxes for great advertisment. Im sure it was themselves that contacted the paper.

Do cars taken in the scrappage scheme here have to be scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

kasper wrote: »

this is excatly what should be done !!!!!!

bill cullen whare are ya !!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

Being honest,its pretty hanging,it would need a lot of work to make presentable. It looks like it has 100.000 miles up,not 26.000. Im going to call to Adams tomorrow and see if its there.

Do cars taken in the scrappage scheme here have to be scrapped?

The cars certainly do have to be scrapped, as a certificate of destruction is required in order to claim the government allowance.

There was a case in Britain where a concours condition Morris Minor was traded in for a Hyundai i10. The Morris is in absolutely perfect condition, museum standard. The dealer got around the requirement for destruction by destroying the identification plates. The car itself is allowed to be kept as long as kept off roads.

If you are in Adams tomorrow, would you ask them is there any way they would be interested in allowing the car be sold or otherwise saved?

Or at least allow it to be stripped of parts

That would be great

• Advertisement

if the car is rough i am sure the dealer would be able to restore it , he would make more on advertisment value than it would cost to restore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sure this mint Mazda 323 was sent to the crusher only about 2 months ago. It was replaced by a brand new Corolla. Bloody shame :(

ABCD0017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Sure this mint Mazda 323 was sent to the crusher only about 2 months ago. It was replaced by a brand new Corolla. Bloody shame :(

ABCD0017.jpg
    Nearly sure that car belonged to my old headmaster....this around Raheny by any chance ??

Blue Punto wrote: »
    Nearly sure that car belonged to my old headmaster....this around Raheny by any chance ??

No, Templeogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Was hoping this was an April fool but from subsequent posts by carchaeologist it doesn't appear to be. A 26 year old, 1 owner Renault 4 with an old Irish reg is surely worth saving. The car can't be in too bad a condition if it has been in regular use and has passed the NCT in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Tralee couple Pat and Brid Galvin have literally got their money back on their 1984 Renault 4,26.000 miles and 26 years after they bought it.
    Image427.jpg
    Thanks to the Scrappage scheme in Adams Garage in Tralee,they got a Total of 4.500eu off the price of a new Clio.They originally paid around £3000 for the car in 1984(in Harnetts Renault garage i would guess at that time.)

"We're really getting back what we paid for it" Pat said
    "we've had excellent value out of it"
    "The longest runs we've had with it were up and down to dublin. It needs a bit of work done so we said we would be better off with a bit more comfort."

The safety advantages of a more modern car with airbags were another consideration for the couple.
    Adams joint MD Mike Geoghegan said the transaction was an example of the value of the scrappage scheme "we're delighted for Pat and Brib and we wish them 26 years more trouble free motoring" Mike said.

Excerpt from Kerrys Eye newspaper 01/04/10
    Picture by Carchaeologist
    peasant wrote: »
    In me hole will they get 26 years out of a Clio.

Some stupid chip will go poof and that's the end of that.

My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it.

To some people these might be a bit of a joke car, but I kinda have a thing about these. Bit quirky, but worth saving.

I think they may be lying about the one owner bit,just a hunch but i think i may be right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Renault 4 will always be a nun's car to me. There was a time when it seemed to be the only car you'd see nuns in.

When we had lots of nuns.

Now nuns (the few that's left) drive Starlet's!

Or our boys in blue...
    dscd0588.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Now nuns (the few that's left) drive Starlet's!

The last time I saw either a nun or a Toyota Starlet was a long time ago. Chances of seeing a nun in a Starlet are slimmer than having a pint in a pub on Good Friday or Christmas Day :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Or our boys in blue...
    dscd0588.jpg

is the lad on the right pulling the door off?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

unkel wrote: »
    The last time I saw either a nun or a Toyota Starlet was a long time ago. Chances of seeing a nun in a Starlet are slimmer than having a pint in a pub on Good Friday or Christmas Day :)

I saw three nuns in a Starlet not more than a month ago. One of them was my auntie. :P
    Where can I get that pint seeing as its the day it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eagle owl

As far as I know while the car has to be 'destroyed' , the recycler can sell parts, so at least may help a restoration? I'm sure there are some recyclers here that can confirm..

(Off main topic but on the subject of ZX Renaults, my second car in 1985 was 2203 ZX, a silver R9TL 1400 cc. Wasn't a great car- dont know how it won car of the year in its time)

is the lad on the right pulling the door off?
    Maybe hes holding it on...
    Where can I get that pint seeing as its the day it is.
    Anywhere in Limerick city today i think..:D
    Wasn't a great car- dont know how it won car of the year in its time)
    Some COTY cars would make you wonder alright,but i suppose when they won their respective awards they were probably the best of the bunch at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I used to own that car. Drove it about a month ago. It brought me back I'll tell you. Drives like new today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I recently brought an R4L van up to Adam in North Coast Classics for a bare metal restoration - The owner picked the right guy to do the job, that's for sure.

I was very impressed by the attention to detail he shows, and the workmanship and skill employed to do things 'the right way'. Highly recommended.

The R4's not something I'd choose to own myself, but I can see the attraction. They're a quirky little machine that played a big part in providing cheap and cheerful transport for a lot of folks and agencies in mid/post recession Ireland in the 80's.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I used to own that car. Drove it about a month ago. It brought me back I'll tell you. Drives like new today. :)
    Nice. Was it an original low mileage car or did it have a huge amount of restoration?

• Advertisement

There is a white '88 R4 van still going around south Dublin. Saw it the other day. I think someone posted a picture of it here some time ago.

Advertisement