Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC LEGEND: 2G/3G COVERAGE ISSUES LIKE THE HERO?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Would be interested to know if the same problems exist with the HTC legend on the Meteor network as with the HTC Hero?

Specifically the dropped coverage in 3G that leads to missed calls and texts, whereby the fix is to turn off 3G altogether?

I realise the Legend is only just out and i'm considering buying one but will think twice if it has this same issue.

Anyone that has bought a Legend on Meteor please leave feedback, how has it been for you? Have you had the same issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jojojnr

Would be interested to know if the same problems exist with the HTC legend on the Meteor network as with the HTC Hero?

Specifically the dropped coverage in 3G that leads to missed calls and texts, whereby the fix is to turn off 3G altogether?

I realise the Legend is only just out and i'm considering buying one but will think twice if it has this same issue.

Anyone that has bought a Legend on Meteor please leave feedback, how has it been for you? Have you had the same issue?

You're both misinformed and not up to date. All previous posts suggest this was a 2G issue only, not 3G. There's also posts going around saying that this issue was fixed last week, just in time for the lauch of the Legend (Phew I hear someone in Meteor say).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Hero user here. Can confirm this problem still exists when dropping from 3g to 2g, signal goes completely. I have registered a formal complaint with meteor and comreg about the issue and hope to have my contract cancelled. Sick of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jojojnr wrote: »
    You're both misinformed and not up to date. All previous posts suggest this was a 2G issue only, not 3G. There's also posts going around saying that this issue was fixed last week, just in time for the lauch of the Legend (Phew I hear someone in Meteor say).

the only ones thats misinformed is you unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The issue is with Meteor, not HTC. Can't see why it wouldn't happen with the Legend too.

happens the same with my hero on vodafone too, its a htc issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cyrus wrote: »
    happens the same with my hero on vodafone too, its a htc issue

3 hero users here in work all on unlocked Hero's on o2 sim's and none have had any issues with dropped connections

draffodx wrote: »
    3 hero users here in work all on unlocked Hero's on o2 sim's and none have had any issues with dropped connections

dunno what to say to that, i know people have issues on meteor ive the same issue on voda and ive heard similar issues on three, when the phone switches between 2 and 3g it invariably drops a call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I know someone with this problem too and someone who DOESN'T have this problem and BOTH are on meteor. It has prevented me from jumping on the legend bandwagon.

their theory is that the sim cards are different from meteor. 'A' gets the 2g/3g drop problem and 'B' does not.

'A' has a brand new sim card which apparently is slightly slimmer than 'B' who's sim is +2years old.

'A' speculates the sim card is losing contact with the sim points in the hero's sim bay causing the drops. Every other setting in their phones are identical! it's a valid theory I think. Couple of other lads I know have gotten the legend and I haven't heard of this problem yet so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cyrus wrote: »
    dunno what to say to that, i know people have issues on meteor ive the same issue on voda and ive heard similar issues on three, when the phone switches between 2 and 3g it invariably drops a call

Strange, have you updated to the latest HTC build?

draffodx wrote: »
    Strange, have you updated to the latest HTC build?

ive latest radio etc, running modaco custom rom 3.2

• Advertisement

same issue with legend I got clarification today :/ damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cyrus is bang on, it's not a phone issue, it's a network issue and it's not exclusive to Meteor, all 2G/3G phones can suffer the same fault, when 2G networks are finally put down and were left with 3G it shouldn't be a problem but then we've to move from 3G to LTE which will require new phones again, i'm curious to know what the handover from 3G to 4G is going to be like..

All phones should be working fine by about 2014 i'd guess.

well drunkmonkey how come i've no problems with android on o2 and 3 people on meteor are having the problem?

It's even making me reconsider my move to vodafone if this crap happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James.m.c

breeno wrote: »
    Hero user here. Can confirm this problem still exists when dropping from 3g to 2g, signal goes completely. I have registered a formal complaint with meteor and comreg about the issue and hope to have my contract cancelled. Sick of this crap.

I've done exactly the same thing. Just waiting on my call from the cancellation department. I wouldnt mind being upgraded to the legend to see how its working out, cos there's definitely something not right with either Meteor and/or the hero on meteor. I've tried an O2 sim in the hero and had no problem. Reinserted my (brand new) meteor sim and it dropped within the hour.

The problem has been known to be solved (UK; orange and t-mobile) with a rom update, which you cant get an official version in Ireland as you must input serial number of handset to download. Meteor can't provide this, and have been claiming to be working on it. The only reason I have to doubt them is that the hero still has problems and they've released a new android phone.

James - if they cancel your contract will you get to keep the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

00sully wrote: »

I seriously doubt it, I have no problem handing them back the phone anyway. I'll let u guys know how I get on.

Well i paid €120 euro for it. According to "the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980", it doesnt actually mention that the goods have to be returned. Just that a redress muct be agreed. So the fact that I have paid for it means that I have a pretty good argument to hold onto it, anyway I dont think they'd fight me further and lose a customer. Not that they are fighting me at all, they actually are trying to help, but they just dont have the ability to solve the problem, which is driving a lot of people crazy. Me Included. I just want a service that works as described. At the moment I am not getting the service I am paying for.

If i do have to give back the phone, I'll go straight off and get an iphone on O2. I've been offered a pretty good deal so i'm happy enough. Just have to use an old nokia for a day. At the moment I'm paying €74.99 on meteor per month. That will go down to €60 with the iphone with the same minutes, same data plan, but with free unlimited texts to all networks (as opposed to just meteor-meteor).

yeah thats what I was thinking since you paid for it. €75 is pretty wild - the surf plan on meteor should do you for €55! but worthless if its not working.

ps. don't be lured by an i-phone tho - if you get keep the phone stick with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

breeno wrote: »

+1

Also a using a Hero and I can confirm the problem most definitely still exists and is still driving me around the twist!

They resolved the port blocking issue on the APN, so now you can actually use Twitter and various other apps without having connection issues. This was a separate issue not to be confused with the 'dropping off the network' issue on 3G.

My Hero will only remain stably on Meteor if I lock it to 2G networks only.

It has absolutely nothing to do with loose SIM cards or anything else. It's something to do with how the HTC Hero interacts with the Meteor 2G/3G network. Something's going horribly wrong and so far nothing has been done to resolve it.

Basically, I have a 2G Android phone, which is *NOT* what I bought!

I've been in touch with Meteor over and over and I just keep getting this "We're working on it" mantra which is seriously wearing thin after 3 months.

Solair wrote: »
    +1

Also a using a Hero and I can confirm the problem most definitely still exists and is still driving me around the twist!

They resolved the port blocking issue on the APN, so now you can actually use Twitter and various other apps without having connection issues. This was a separate issue not to be confused with the 'dropping off the network' issue on 3G.

My Hero will only remain stably on Meteor if I lock it to 2G networks only.

It has absolutely nothing to do with loose SIM cards or anything else. It's something to do with how the HTC Hero interacts with the Meteor 2G/3G network. Something's going horribly wrong and so far nothing has been done to resolve it.

Basically, I have a 2G Android phone, which is *NOT* what I bought!

I've been in touch with Meteor over and over and I just keep getting this "We're working on it" mantra which is seriously wearing thin after 3 months.

I'm the exact same. I got so sick of it, I lodged an official complaint and asked for my contract to be cancelled. I think I have a pretty good argument. They cant provide me with their 3G service which I am paying for. With Eircom, Sky or Chorus, if they cant supply you with their service that you are paying for, they disconnect you for free and refund you for the services you were without (although its hard work getting that far).

A guy called from meteor called me so I am due to call him back today to solve "the issues with my HTC handset". Looks like I was passed to a manager as the operator I was talking to me yesterday wasnt in a position to talk to me about it, even tho she had to confirm what the guy wanted to talk to me about.

I'm looking forward to getting this crap sorted. I'll let ye know how I get on.

• Advertisement

oh James.m.c you are 100% in getting this contract scratched not just a pretty good arguement!

I've had 3 mates (all who I advise :() now on meteor with the legend and I think its happening with that phone too

must be a meteor issue then if its not loose sim cards cuz o2 with these phones is fine (verified!)

oh James.m.c you are 100% in getting this contract scratched not just a pretty good arguement!

I've had 3 mates (all who I advise :() now on meteor with the legend and I think its happening with that phone too

must be a meteor issue then if its not loose sim cards cuz o2 with these phones is fine (verified!)

Its happening with the Legend too????? Damn. I would have liked if I was offered a Legend as a trade up, but now I think I'll get my ass on over to O2. I've a close family member working for their customer service so I've got a load of unbiased info, both good and bad. Never had dropped 3G like meteor tho.

If you could confirm that the legend is having the same problems on Meteor then I'll definitely move

not 100%, am looking into it tho with the 3 I know on the legend. So far have had one instance of it dropping but I don't know if its related. I'll keep the thread updated.

On another note, Vodafone uk are getting the legend April 2nd. No such luck here it seems though with Vodafone refusing to announce when it and the desire will launch in Ireland :/

Think o2 said the desire will launch in April - can you get that info with your inside info?? ;) would be a much better option than the iphone trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The issue with the HTC Hero on Meteor causes the following problem:

The phone will just suddenly have an image of a SIM card on the home screen and "Not Registered to Network" and an X beside the signal strength indicator.

You will not be able to make or receive calls, send or receive texts or connect to Meteor's data service until the radio has been rebooted. This means, you need to either cycle the phone in/out of Airplane mode (resetting the radio) or completely rebooting the phone.

Nothing else will restore the signals.

This is *not* just an issue of the phone dropping back to 2G connection only or being unable to find the 3G service. It's COMPLETE disconnection from the entire Meteor mobile network.

Disabling 3G completely seems to prevent it from happening, so it's either a problem with the 3G service on the phone, or it's a problem with handover from 3G to 2G.

Has anyone experienced this on the HTC Legend?

(It would also be interesting to know if anyone's had this problem on Meteor with the HTC made Google Nexus One or the HTC Desire {if anyone has one}. as these devices are also running Android 2.1)

Really, until someone has clarified that this bug doesn't impact upon the HTC Legend, I would suggest not buying it. It's not worth the hassle. Meteor have left me with a faulty HTC Hero for almost 3 months now and just keep saying "we're working on it"

Really it's just not good enough!

yep dropping network just like the hero - got to be a meteor specific problem.

flynnduism experienced the drop already. pity. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65156466&postcount=44

Solair wrote: »
    The issue with the HTC Hero on Meteor causes the following problem:

The phone will just suddenly have an image of a SIM card on the home screen and "Not Registered to Network" and an X beside the signal strength indicator.

You will not be able to make or receive calls, send or receive texts or connect to Meteor's data service until the radio has been rebooted. This means, you need to either cycle the phone in/out of Airplane mode (resetting the radio) or completely rebooting the phone.

Nothing else will restore the signals.

This is *not* just an issue of the phone dropping back to 2G connection only or being unable to find the 3G service. It's COMPLETE disconnection from the entire Meteor mobile network.

Disabling 3G completely seems to prevent it from happening, so it's either a problem with the 3G service on the phone, or it's a problem with handover from 3G to 2G.

Has anyone experienced this on the HTC Legend?

(It would also be interesting to know if anyone's had this problem on Meteor with the HTC made Google Nexus One or the HTC Desire {if anyone has one}. as these devices are also running Android 2.1)

Really, until someone has clarified that this bug doesn't impact upon the HTC Legend, I would suggest not buying it. It's not worth the hassle. Meteor have left me with a faulty HTC Hero for almost 3 months now and just keep saying "we're working on it"

Really it's just not good enough!

I'm on the same boat as yourself. Can't get thru to yer man from Meteor to cut this loose. Its a joke. I pay a decent bit every month so that I am "guaranteed" a mobile phone service.

That's what the contract is anyway. Fair enough they are trying to get it sorted, but instead of getting any closer to the solution, they release another android HTC. First reports, although yet unconfirmed, is that this 3G problem may still be a problem.

Meteor cannot provide me the service that I am paying for. Therefore they are unfulfilling their side of the contract.

Bye Bye meteor.

I'm not risking this again with the legend, the hassle is not worth it, not anymore.

Also, there's rumours that O2 are going to be competing with both meteor and vodafone in the android market within the next 2 months (end of Q2 2010). No news on which phones going where yet tho

yep dropping network just like the hero - got to be a meteor specific problem.

flynnduism experienced the drop already. pity. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65156466&postcount=44

Meteor got to get this sorted. They'll lose major ground with the smartphone market.

O2 together is better.JPG

Ok here is what I got off Christian from meteor. He seemed pretty cool about it and was apologetic and seemed concerned about the fact it was happening with the Legend and it not even released a week.

Anyway:

Contract can be cancelled and number transferred to a different network without cancellation charges.

This is only receipt of my HTC Hero handset.

If you want to keep the handset, its the remainder of your contract in bulk.

Might even be worth paying it to use the Hero on O2 problem free.

They let it go without any hassle due to the fact that, although they are expecting firmware updates, they can't give a definite date.

Credit where credits due, as soon as I said I wanted this problem sorted or else contract cancelled, they were on to me like a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gerard Coughlan

I bought a HTC Legend thru Meteor on Friday and I have had no problems so far with calls or data. It all seems to be working smoothly. Happy Days.

• Advertisement

what about this post? nasty. http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=637

Gerard, I wouldn't be getting to ahead of yourself although I really hope the case of dropped network I've heard of with the legend is an isolated problem and was due to some other factor.

James - will you get a refund for the price you paid for the handset if you have to hand it back?

Advertisement