Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

I ordered a couple of mobile phones from China(total value $190) and my tracking information states that the items have been sent to our customs, they have been there for 5 days now and I have not had any contact from anyone, does anyone know what is going on with my parcel? I know I will have to pay duty etc, but after 5 days I should have heard something right?

Can anyone shed any light on my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

Depends, Dave. If there is a tracking number, you can usually try it in "track and trace" on the anpost.ie website, and sometimes you can call.

The one or two times I did, the call deffo sped things up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

I have a tracking number that is how I know that it has gone to customs, I rang them today and I am going to be sent out a form of some kind to fill in with the details of my order, how much they cost etc. From reading this thread I understand that they want receipts to calculate the amount that I will owe them, anyway I dont mind paying the duty because I will have still got a bargain.

But if I send off all my details and payment, roughly how long before I have my goods in my hands? And can this be done online or does it have to be done by snail mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

The one time I did have to send in a credit card receipt was about 6-7 years ago; they said they'd take e-mail, I scanned and mailed it in, and then accused me of doctoring the original receipt!

I then ended up having to post them the original - never even got an apology. Anyhow, rant over!

Basically, it depends, or at least it did? Sorry that's not more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Below is copy of an email I received from Customs last year - It may help :

Many thanks for your email. The expected delivery day of your package is Tuesday 17th August by An Post, with a Customs charge of € 14.64 (€ 8.64 Vat plus €6 post office handling fee). You can pay the postperson on delivery by Cash, Cheque or Postal Order (made payable to AN POST.). If you are not in when An Post call, they will leave a note in your letterbox advising you as to where you can collect your package. Any queries relating to the delivery please contact An Post customer service at 1850575859.

For your information, if your seller had correctly declared the exact contents and the correct value of the goods as detailed in your paypal receipt on the CN 22 Customs Declaration, your package would have been cleared through Customs within 24 hours of receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Tolerz

hi i bought a fake iphone ,, it said it was shiped on the 7th ,, still no word from customs or anything ,, it cost me 60.00 usd ,, with free shipping ,, care to share any light on the subject ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tolerz wrote: »
    care to share any light on the subject ?

What exactly are you looking for? It's either on the way, lost, seized, or otherwise held up. Whatever it is, there's nothing you or anyone else can do about.

By the way, cheap imitation iphones from China are crap. You've pretty much wasted your money on a useless phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fattony12

I can't seem to find the TARIC code for PC wireless keyboards. Can anyone help?

Asking about tax evasion is illegal, and against the rules. Such posts are deleted, and persistent offenders will be banned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just a point from someone who used to work in Customs Clearance, back in the day we cleared at the border. So many people here going on about getting ripped off, or creamed by An Post, FedEx, UPS or whoever for the service charge.

These companies have to employ people to do this.
    They need very specific software to do it which costs a bloody fortune, as the whole process is automated with C&E
    They must have money tied up with C&E to pay all this VAT & Duty up front on your behalf.

It is probably obvious to people, but just in case it isn't, Duty & VAT are levied to try and protect European/Irish jobs by stopping a flood of cheap imports from outside the EU. In fact there are more charges and blocks can be put on certain products, textiles and tyres to name but two.

Thanks to the lads for setting this thread up in the first place, its just a pity people don't read the first post more.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I went back 10 pages and saw nothing. If I order from amazon.com, but for under the threshold of e25, does that also mean that I'll avoid any handling fees by the courier? Or is it the case that they have to 'handle' it anyway to customs and the customs say 'no charge?'

My idea is it's 3 items, so I can order all 3 separately, but if I'm going to get charged 3x handling fees then forget it.

Read post #1.

jor el wrote: »
    Read post #1.

I did. Several times. :confused:

When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases and €45 for a gift.
    VAT/Duty will be calculated and collected by the postal carrier/courier. They will apply a handling fee for this, which can be between €5 and €15.

Did you miss those parts? If your order is above the exemption limit, then it may be assessed for VAT and duty. If any VAT or duty is applicable, a fee will be added on top. Each and every delivery is assessed on it's own.

No, I didn't miss those bits, they're right there. My question was do I pay for the 'assesment'? If a package comes into say DHL and they assess whether it needs VAT and duty added do they only add their own handling fee if there are extra charges? Or am I charged for them figuring out whether or not VAT and duty are even needed?

If there is no charge for VAT, then how can they charge you a fee? The fee is for them collecting the money on behalf of revenue. The value will be printed on the package, so there is nothing to assess, apart from looking at it. If the value is over €22, the VAT and fee are applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

What is the difference between VAT and Duty and is there VAT on kids clothes coming in since there is no VAT on kids clothes in Ireland?

Use the Duty Calculator website.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Can anyone advise me who to contact on a VAT refund on an personal item that was shipped into ireland via Fedex, i paid Fedex invoice.
    And then item returned the item USA as it was damaged.
    I paid the Fedex VAT and they asked me to contact Customs.
    Who put me onto revenue, who put me onto unregistered VAT who put me onto my local tax office.
    Im lost as to who to request a refund from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Got an item from play.com, it cost €37, import duty was €14.80, an post said that as it came from Jersey import duty had to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

stanley1 wrote: »
    Got an item from play.com, it cost €37, import duty was €14.80, an post said that as it came from Jersey import duty had to be paid.

Jersey (and the Channel Islands) is a crown protectorate , they are not part of the UK or the EU. An Post is correct and you were charged appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

ok, thanks, will stick with Amazon in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Sake.

Spent the last day eyeing up laptops, back and forth between two. I can't find them ANYWHERE in UK or here in Ireland so importing from US is only option.

Was sorted at about E1400.. but now if I want to actually get it I'll have to pay about E1700 .. absolutely sickened as now I'm not looking to spend that much and it was perfect. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    I can't find them ANYWHERE in UK or here in Ireland so importing from US is only option.
    There is the laptop forum with people who might know where to get it. Do not just look at the UK, often electronics can be got from other places cheaper, I saved a lot getting stuff from Germany.

I would sooner buy within the EU for warranty/return reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

rubadub wrote: »
    There is the laptop forum with people who might know where to get it. Do not just look at the UK, often electronics can be got from other places cheaper, I saved a lot getting stuff from Germany.

I would sooner buy within the EU for warranty/return reasons.

Thanks a lot rubadub, just posted a thread, here's hoping. Any German sites that you'd recommend out of curiosity?

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    Any German sites that you'd recommend out of curiosity?
    Don't know any for laptops, I was getting satellite TV equipment and got them on ebay and a one normal online shop. I think you can buy off amazon.de too and it can be cheaper. When looking for a PC fan a place in holland was cheapest new, but I ended up getting it second hand on ebay.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I bought a second hand bike part from the US. It showed up this morning with 102e in fees. The seller said he had marked it as a gift. Is there any way to challenge this? As I don't have the money to go and collect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I bought a second hand bike part from the US. It showed up this morning with 102e in fees. The seller said he had marked it as a gift. Is there any way to challenge this? As I don't have the money to go and collect it!
    it wasn't a gift though, 2nd hand is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

it wasn't a gift though, 2nd hand is irrelevant

He marked it as a gift though?

• Advertisement

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    He marked it as a gift though?
    Even if it was a legitimate gift you still have a value limit of €45, which includes postage, I would imagine the postage alone is above €45 so even if the bike was $1 you are actually liable if the combined value and postage is over €45 (if it was a legitimate gift).

Customs are not stupid, if it was as easy as that every business would be receiving 1000's of birthday presents every year!

Advertisement