Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2010, 13:24   #1
ThomasCreeby
Banned

FAS Work Placement Program

In a time of deep recession I am absolutely baffled how the government can sponsor a program where by companies are paid to take on new staff, who can then work for said companies for periods of up to 12 months while receiving only their dole as compensation for working the guts of a 40 hour week.
Slave labour and the reduction of the minimum wage is already here and its called the FAS Work Placement Program.
I'm 24 years old and I've been unemployed for over a year and frankly I find it disgusting. I'm really sick of logging onto the FAS website and finding that 90% of the jobs they now advertise are WPP schemes.
What I find even more insidious however is that a person can have their Jobseekers Allowance cut if they are not prepared to be forced by the government to work for less than the minimum wage???
This is the type of "innovation" is emblematic of the Irish Government's attitude towards young people trying to find work.
How many of the companies who have signed up for cheap labour are actually that poorly off that they aren't arsed paying a receptionist or an admin?
The whole WPP stinks to high heaven of incompetence and wasted money, not to mention offering zero financial incentive to get people back to work.
Does anyone else think this entire scheme is comically inept at trying to achieve what it set out to or am I alone in thinking its a pile of b*%$cks?

Cheers Boards,

Thomas
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 13:27   #2
Riskymove

I am pretty sure there was another thread in the last month or two on this where the issues were debated in detail.

Obviously it depends on what duties workers are being asked to perform while on placement but the idea seems to be that (a) its some form of experience for people to put on a cv when lookiong for work and (b) better than having people with nothing to do on the dole.

it can obviously be open to explotaition by employers
Thanks from:
12-03-2010, 13:30   #3
eman66

Until they can train the monkeys to the required level, FAS work placements will have to continue. It's just business.
12-03-2010, 13:33   #4
ei.sdraob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCreeby View Post
I'm 24 years old and I've been unemployed for over a year and frankly I find it disgusting.
im sorry to say it, but it needs to be said

with your outlook on employment you will remain unemployed for much longer

welcome to boards.ie
12-03-2010, 13:34   #5
Taxipete29

You may find it interesting that Labour are currently seeking to hire two people under this scheme.
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 13:41   #6
munstergirl

There is a big thread on work & jobs forum.
I think no harm getting work experience for 6 weeks,did it myself many years ago on fas course,
9 months is just giving employers workers for free.
Why pay someone to do a job when you can hire someone for free.
Why is it legal?
I don't see it helping unemployment at all.
12-03-2010, 13:55   #7
ThomasCreeby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ei.sdraob View Post
im sorry to say it, but it needs to be said

with your outlook on employment you will remain unemployed for much longer

welcome to boards.ie
Yeah, cheers for your unfunny and unhelpful comment "ei.sdraob" . Ive actually finished college and had to spend a year abroad working before I came back here in hope of finding a suitable position. What a mug I was to think there was any chance of that happening!
I'd be interested to meet anyone in the developed world who doesnt find cheap labour "disgusting", most of the programs offered on the FAS website are a minimum of 9 months long, thats not an unpaid internship with the prospect of future employment, its making people work a 40 hour week for their dole with no promise of future employment.

12-03-2010, 14:00   #8
MaceFace

I agree - it is not a good idea.
It is wrong for a private business to make use of free labour to enrich themselves.

I have thought previously about hiring someone through this channel just because we can't afford to hire anyone but I find it morally wrong to expect someone to work for 6 months for free.

Instead the companies should just hire the people for a much lower wage (say 100 quid a week).
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2010, 14:01   #9
ei.sdraob

Quote:
Yeah, cheers for your unfunny and unhelpful comment "ei.sdraob" . Ive actually finished college and had to spend a year abroad working before I came back here in hope of finding a suitable position. What a mug I was to think there was any chance of that happening!
I'd be interested to meet anyone in the developed world who doesnt find cheap labour "disgusting", most of the programs offered on the FAS website are a minimum of 9 months long, thats not an unpaid internship with the prospect of future employment, its making people work a 40 hour week for their dole with no promise of future employment.

if you don't like it, don't take it, what's the problem?

and yes you were/are naive thinking that a job will and should be handed to your on a platter

time will change your mind
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 14:06   #10
ThomasCreeby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceFace View Post
I agree - it is not a good idea.
It is wrong for a private business to make use of free labour to enrich themselves.

I have thought previously about hiring someone through this channel just because we can't afford to hire anyone but I find it morally wrong to expect someone to work for 6 months for free.

Instead the companies should just hire the people for a much lower wage (say 100 quid a week).
Exactly Maceface, they dont need to pay people even a full wage but their needs to be reasonable consideration given to someone who comes to work every morning and puts in their hours, where's the incentive if someone isnt doing the same is ending up with the exact same amount of money at the end of the week, not only that but there are also things like travel and food expenses that I have yet to find a company willing to compensate for.
12-03-2010, 14:07   #11
hobochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceFace View Post

That would be a bitch to live on until the cost of living balanced.
Thanks from:
12-03-2010, 14:11   #12
ThomasCreeby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ei.sdraob View Post
if you don't like it, don't take it, what's the problem?

and yes you were/are naive thinking that a job will and should be handed to your on a platter

time will change your mind
dude, are you actually being serious? or are you just some shut-in on here to make some lame attempts at trolling?
because im guessing you dont know anything about the WPP scheme judging from that comment. but thanks for "schooling" me on how naive i was being - suggestion noted.
12-03-2010, 14:13   #13
mickeyk

Quote:
To be fair anything less than nine months is worthless in terms of your CV, this is not transition year in school. This program is well intentioned but employers really should be making a contribution, even 100 euro a week would be an incentive for people to take it up. It will give you experience to carry into your next job which will leave you in a stronger position if we have a recovery and companies start to hire again, that is certainly better than spending nine months on the dole IMO. Can you claim rent supplement while on this programn I wonder? that would soften the blow a bit.

EDIT: Think you are being a little harsh on ei.sdraob, he was only saying that nobody should expect a job to be waiting for them because they have a third level degree, you are unlucky in that you graduated into a jobs market with no jobs, getting experience is now your no 1 aim, i wouldn't rule out the WPP unless you have a reasonable prospect of securing employment within the short term

Last edited by mickeyk; 12-03-2010 at 14:21.
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2010, 14:15   #14
Zamboni

If I was 24 and lost my job, I'd be out of this country quicker than you can say FAS.
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2010, 14:17   #15
ei.sdraob

Quote:
dude, are you actually being serious? or are you just some shut-in on here to make some lame attempts at trolling?
because im guessing you dont know anything about the WPP scheme judging from that comment. but thanks for "schooling" me on how naive i was being - suggestion noted.
yes im deadly serious, the reality is that this country is ****ed
whether you, i, everyone likes it or not

live with it and get used to it, you grew up knowing nothing but a booming economy so some things might come as a shock to you

that work placement programme is better than no work placement programme
and getting the dole is better than not getting the dole
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion