Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 08:25   #811
lods
Registered User
 
lods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
I'm assuming the "Luas Interconnector" is the line through city centre connecting Green and Red together. Given that this is probably the cheapest of the three options what's the odds it will get the nod?
Sounds like its being renamed and built up to be something its not.
lods is offline  
Advertisement
08-04-2011, 09:29   #812
Son of Stupido
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
I'm assuming the "Luas Interconnector" is the line through city centre connecting Green and Red together. Given that this is probably the cheapest of the three options what's the odds it will get the nod?
My bet is on the metro for the following reasons
  • It has planning and is ready for construction (preliminary works)
  • The services have to be dug up and moved for both the metro and the Luas link, so at this stage (prep works) there would be no savings between the two
  • The link would be out of action for 4 years when they returned to build the underground stations...there wouldnt be enough room to maintain the service
  • The DART Underground is too far behind in the planning stage so is likely to lose out
  • The DU is also (kind of) dependent on the Metro to feed in and link other areas to the network
Although, there could be a hybrid....they do the Luas link but build the underground stations for the metro, not the tunnels, and mothball them until they bore the tunnels at a later stage thus no disruption to the Luas during metro construction
Son of Stupido is offline  
08-04-2011, 09:40   #813
Sponge Bob
Banned
 
Sponge Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location Location
Posts: 24,831
BXD is the (very) poor mans Metro North. Do remember that if Leo authorises enabling works in O Connell St that DU is off the list and the choice will be made between MN and BXD.

It will provide Leos constituents with a route to the City Centre rather than Connolly of course. If they could flatten Broombridge and rebuild as a bunker with guard posts on the perimiter .....most preferably by nuking the area.... then bonusage accrues

Put the new prison on top so that the lags have a view perhaps ????
Sponge Bob is offline  
08-04-2011, 11:47   #814
dynamick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 705
In any case, no decision is to be made on transport capital projects until September. So we can all meet back here in 5 months time and see how the Irish bond yields are doing.
dynamick is offline  
08-04-2011, 12:02   #815
Sponge Bob
Banned
 
Sponge Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location Location
Posts: 24,831
Time enough to design a retro Vauban type emplacement in Broombridge even
Sponge Bob is offline  
Advertisement
08-04-2011, 12:07   #816
Highly Salami
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 212
Send a message via MSN to Highly Salami
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamick View Post
In any case, no decision is to be made on transport capital projects until September. So we can all meet back here in 5 months time and see how the Irish bond yields are doing.
source?
Highly Salami is offline  
08-04-2011, 12:09   #817
Jack Noble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Salami View Post
source?
Leo Varadkar said it yesterday at Citywest Luas PR stunt.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...294220939.html

Quote:
Mr Varadkar said the two runner-up projects would be progressed to “railway order” status, in effect planning permission for the projects, and then mothballed until the State had the money to progress them further.
While a “strong case” could be made for Metro North, he added: “The question the Government has to answer between now and September is, first of all, do we have the exchequer funding to pay for the exchequer part of it, and is the private funding going to be available.”
Jack Noble is offline  
08-04-2011, 12:10   #818
oharach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 180
It really sounds like he wants to say 'yes' to Metro North.

Using the criteria he mentions:

1. Availability of finance:
– Luas BXD is the cheapest but entirely exchequer funded afaik,
– Metro North depends on the ability to raise private finance
– Interconnector also depends on private finance
Winner: impossible to say

2. Cost-benefit analysis
– Luas BXD: very high benefit for low investment
– Metro North: approx 2:1 subject to final tender price
– Interconnector: approx 2.5:1
Winner: Interconnector > Luas BXD > Metro North, but they are all strong

3. Impact on customers (I read this as journey time/convenience)
– Luas BXD: convenient, but doesn't really cut journey times vs walking from Stephen's Green
– Metro North: quantum leap in commuting for people within the corridor as regards speed and convenience
– Interconnector: cuts cross-city journey times and makes many more parts of Dublin accessible
Winner: Metro North imo

4. Benefit the most people
– Luas BXD: relatively small increase in passenger numbers, esp at peak times, when the Green line is full anyway.
– Metro North: all new passengers, except those choosing Metro over Swords Express/airport buses
– Interconnector: likely to see a huge increase in commuting from the Kildare Line; lesser increases on the Northern and Maynooth line
Winner: Metro North or Interconnector broadly evenly matched

5. Climate change
– Luas BXD: small impact – redirecting passengers from buses
– Metro North: large impact – many new passengers; some transferring from buses
– Interconnector: largest impact – many new passengers, who will travel much further on average than the other two projects, therefore saving more carbon emissions.
Winner: Interconnector, followed by Metro North.


That's what I think anyway. In the end it will come down to the relative weight given to each of those factors, and the availability of finance.
oharach is offline  
Thanks from:
08-04-2011, 13:34   #819
lucernarian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,678
Is there an official Cost-Benefit Analysis for the luas BXD? It strikes me as quite useless, not even offering significant increases in journey times vs walking, along with disruption to an extremely busy bus corridor. Also is visually obtrusive on TCD/College Green in particular.
lucernarian is offline  
Advertisement
08-04-2011, 13:51   #820
mgmt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
Is there an official Cost-Benefit Analysis for the luas BXD? It strikes me as quite useless, not even offering significant increases in journey times vs walking, along with disruption to an extremely busy bus corridor. Also is visually obtrusive on TCD/College Green in particular.
College Green should be turned into a pedestrian square. Luas BXD will cause havoc in the city centre for cyclists, particularly at TCD.


Is there scope for the Luas Green Line to continue down underground at St Stephans Green to join up with Metro North?
mgmt is offline  
Thanks from:
08-04-2011, 14:02   #821
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
Also is visually obtrusive on TCD/College Green in particular.
You mean put it back the way it was not so long ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmt View Post
College Green should be turned into a pedestrian square. Luas BXD will cause havoc in the city centre for cyclists, particularly at TCD.
There's loads of space around college green to squeeze in two trams lines and cycling space. How on earth do the cyclists in Amsterdam manage to surive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmt View Post
Is there scope for the Luas Green Line to continue down underground at St Stephans Green to join up with Metro North?
The largest cost in tunnelling is the entry and exit portals. Digging a tunnel for less than 1km would be terribly bad value for money. If we're dropping a TBM in the city centre, we may as well continue on with it.
markpb is offline  
Thanks from:
08-04-2011, 14:11   #822
lucernarian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
That's not really here or there, the fact is that there are currently no gantries on College Green and putting back up will have an inevitable visual impact (as far as planning and IMO amenity/visual costs are concerned).

Furthermore, the BXD route would involve catenary wires near more of the front of TCD (the Grafton St. and some of Nassau St. aspects) than was the case in the link above.

And this bit is my opinion, but I think TCD looks better now than it does in that link.
lucernarian is offline  
08-04-2011, 14:14   #823
mgmt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
The largest cost in tunnelling is the entry and exit portals. Digging a tunnel for less than 1km would be terribly bad value for money. If we're dropping a TBM in the city centre, we may as well continue on with it.
For what its worth the Great Dublin Area Draft Transport Strategy 2011–2030 proposes to link up Metro North with Luas Green Line. http://dublinobserver.com/2011/03/ra...ed-for-dublin/

The entrance to the tunnel will be cut-and-cover anyway. Drop in the TBM and continue boring out to the Airport. Perhaps with the added benefit of being able to use the downramp of the Luas Green Line to extract the excavated material on a freight tram.
mgmt is offline  
08-04-2011, 14:17   #824
mgmt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
That's not really here or there, the fact is that there are currently no gantries on College Green and putting back up will have an inevitable visual impact (as far as planning and IMO amenity/visual costs are concerned).

Furthermore, the BXD route would involve catenary wires near more of the front of TCD (the Grafton St. and some of Nassau St. aspects) than was the case in the link above.

And this bit is my opinion, but I think TCD looks better now than it does in that link.

Also you could potentially have the Lucan Luas line joining up at College Green.
mgmt is offline  
08-04-2011, 14:49   #825
Zebra3
Registered User
 
Zebra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 6,971
Oharach,

Don't forget the "votes for politicans" test.
Zebra3 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet