Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accomodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Openmp wrote: »
    Since when has David Norris, BA ever had any input into the running of the College?

It's not like it's even good trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

What are the chances of picking up one of the empty rooms? I wasn't in a position to apply earlier but I may be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Waiting list ftw.

I know a guy who got schols but is away off on an Erasmus next year, I call dibs on his room. Rang the provost there and Johnny said it was chill. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

sron wrote: »
    What are the chances of picking up one of the empty rooms? I wasn't in a position to apply earlier but I may be now.
    I know of at least two people who didn't get any accommodation, I would have guessed from that that there are no empty rooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I know of at least two people who didn't get any accommodation, I would have guessed from that that there are no empty rooms...

Some people won't accept their offers though, and I've heard that they keep a certain amount of rooms free for special cases during the year. For the last two years there have been empty rooms on campus as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I got 65.4.02 in Goldsmith. Anyone know anything about that house?

Re the waiting list, the lady in the Accommodation Office mentioned today (to someone else) that everyone on the waiting list last year got an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Keep in mind there are still rooms saved for postgrad students, and probably a couple saved for exceptional-case incoming first-years, possibly a few for TCD-going children of College Fellows who I think get some kind of discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

House 2 Front Square! Is it even possible to live there? I hope so.

It's fairly possible, I've been doing it all year. It's difficult walking all the way to the Hamilton every day but with a bit of perseverance even that is manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hey guys, I think I might have posted something like this before, but anyways:

If you haven't got anything yet, keep trying! Ring them and email them, and don't take no for an answer! This year they had said no to me a load of times, the secretarys in the accommodation office saying there was none left to me in person, even a couple of days before I ended up getting a place. Then I emailed them in Freshers Week asking if there were any left, they give me a choice of places to live on campus and I got the keys the next day! (Without paying a deposit, ridiculous!)

So keep at them, cos its worth it in the end!

I just realised that my accomodation offer says that I have a room from the "22 September 2010 to 7 May 2011". Is this the same for everyone? I have heard that you can extend it past that for like €20 a day, which sounds like quite the rip-off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

I just realised that my accomodation offer says that I have a room from the "22 September 2010 to 7 May 2011". Is this the same for everyone? I have heard that you can extend it past that for like €20 a day, which sounds like quite the rip-off!

Same for us all unfortunately. The move out date this year was at the end of the second exam week so I imagine it will be the same next year. You can prolong your stay if you wish and it is in the region of €20 per night. Expensive I know:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

Expensive yes, but it's what you are already paying.

For 2010/2011 the total rent for Modern Accommodation from 22nd Sept - 7th May is €5,034.52.

5,034.52 divided by 227 days = €22.18 a day

So rent works out at €674.64 a month.

Is living on campus really worth is when you can get something like this less than 2 mins away with €300 a month to spare? - www.daft.ie/2878022

All the rates are here: http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/Campus/Rates/

lost_soul wrote: »
    Is living on campus really worth it when you can get something like this less than 2 mins away with €300 a month to spare?

Simple answer is yes

lost_soul wrote: »
    Expensive yes, but it's what you are already paying.

For 2010/2011 the total rent for Modern Accommodation from 22nd Sept - 7th May is €5,034.52.

5,034.52 divided by 227 days = €22.18 a day

So rent works out at €674.64 a month.

Is living on campus really worth is when you can get something like this less than 2 mins away with €300 a month to spare? - www.daft.ie/2878022

All the rates are here: http://www.tcd.ie/accommodation/StudentsandStaff/Students/Campus/Rates/

The flat you've linked us to is €1050, which between two is €525 a month. Where did you pull the figure €300 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

That and its a 1 year lease.

Jammyc wrote: »
    That and its a 1 year lease.

What are the chances you are going to be there for the entire year though? For most students, I'd say the chances are slim.

Anyway the girls I'm living got word back from the accommodations office. Both were offered separate twin rooms and were worried they were going to have to share with randomers but they both called the office this morning and despite the fact that they both are in twins, they have them to themselves which is excellent news:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

What are the chances you are going to be there for the entire year though? For most students, I'd say the chances are slim.
    Aye, was stating another disadvantage of it.
    Anyway the girls I'm living got word back from the accommodations office. Both were offered separate twin rooms and were worried they were going to have to share with randomers but they both called the office this morning and despite the fact that they both are in twins, they have them to themselves which is excellent news:D
    Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

I know this is an extremely noob thing to say and I'm sure the answer is here somewhere.. But when applying for accommodation in TCD, do you like get a choice of where you'd like to stay or is it just the luck of the draw? And do you get to choose the type of room? Like if you want a room to yourself but sharing an apartment with random people. Oh and do they put people who are in the same course/year together or is it totally random? Or can you request certain things?

Also, what are the chances of getting the apartments within walking distance of the college (i.e. Not Trinity Hall), is it just for people in the West?

Sorry for being such a noob :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gulf

xAnnex wrote: »
    I know this is an extremely noob thing to say and I'm sure the answer is here somewhere.. But when applying for accommodation in TCD, do you like get a choice of where you'd like to stay or is it just the luck of the draw? And do you get to choose the type of room? Like if you want a room to yourself but sharing an apartment with random people. Oh and do they put people who are in the same course/year together or is it totally random? Or can you request certain things?

Also, what are the chances of getting the apartments within walking distance of the college (i.e. Not Trinity Hall), is it just for people in the West?

Sorry for being such a noob :P

Are you?

- Protestant?
    - Gaelgoir
    - disabled?
    - female?
    - son/daughter of a benefactor?

gulf wrote: »
    Are you?

- Protestant?
    - Gaelgoir
    - disabled?
    - female?
    - son/daughter of a benefactor?

Ha do females have an advantage? xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Pretty sure if you're a first year (non international) student you can only apply to Trinity Halls. I'm not sure about how roommates are allocated but from people I know in halls it seems to be random for the first year anyway. You can choose your type of room (i.e. single, twin sharing) but whether you'll get it or not is a different story. Hope that helps.

I meant the other accomodation besides Trinity Hall :P I don't really want to go to Trinity Hall cause it's so far away. I was wondering what the chances of getting an apartment close to the College are ^^

I'm going to dredge up this thread for a dumb question now... Is there a list anywhere of what kind of stuff is provided in the apartments? I'm moving into front square on the weekend and I need to figure out what to bring. I assume they don't provide things like duvets/pillows/towels?

And a bizarre but important question... does one need to bring their own baking trays? I have a lot of cookies to make for Freshers' Week. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

I'm going to dredge up this thread for a dumb question now... Is there a list anywhere of what kind of stuff is provided in the apartments? I'm moving into front square on the weekend and I need to figure out what to bring. I assume they don't provide things like duvets/pillows/towels?

And a bizarre but important question... does one need to bring their own baking trays? I have a lot of cookies to make for Freshers' Week. A lot.

Yeah, you should bring duvets/pillows/towels. You'll have a mattress, maybe a desk lamp and that's about it. You might get a baking tray and suchlike, you might not. Though you can get all that cheaply enough. You'll almost certainly get a toaster and a kettle, but probably not a microwave or a tv. And you'll probably have to get plates and cutlery etc.

Oh, and you'll get a form asking if anything is damaged/missing when you move in. Definitely fill this out carefully, otherwise they might take it from your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

PFM where are you living? Some places don't even have real ovens...

When does everyone move in? I just got into my GMB room and it's all ronery here...

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    PFM where are you living? Some places don't even have real ovens...

When does everyone move in? I just got into my GMB room and it's all ronery here...
    House 2. I really hope I have an oven... frying cookies just isn't the same.

I'm moving in on Sunday. I sure hope the accommodation office is open on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

House 2. I really hope I have an oven... frying cookies just isn't the same.

I'm moving in on Sunday. I sure hope the accommodation office is open on Sundays.
    You'll have an oven, it's only really pearse st above the medical centre that doesn't have them. Accom office is open Sundays at the moment I believe for tourists staying. Dropping them a quick phonecall though wouldn't be any harm. With TCD accom office you've to have low expectations and sort of take the initiative I've found. They're pretty useless.

Speaking of cookies: I made some Molasses and Almond Flour ginger snaps there the other day when I moved in.

61007_538228339304_37300073_31754076_2599769_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I baked chocolate biscuits for Mathsoc last year in House 2 so there are baking trays.

However if you end up with the same baking trays they're now covered in congealed grease and fat so I wouldn't advise using them.

Josh is slightly wrong in that there will be a microwave but he's otherwise accurate, hi Josh.

Mathsoc will take their greasy biscuits and be glad of them! (I might just buy my own baking trays.)

The accommodation office knows I'm moving in on Sunday (since they approved it and stuff) but I might just double check...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Dunno about House 2, but some of the campus places have no mirrors. It's not a huge thing, but it's a bit annoying all the same, so maybe bring along a small one for makeup etc.

Advertisement