Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accomodation

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed some light as to where each of the following types of rooms relate to in college? ie botany bay etc...

Single
    Single Ensuite
    Apartment Single
    Single Flat

They are all listed options on the accomodation application. I do not want goldsmith or pearse street, but have no idea which one to pick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I asked the Accommodation Office this last year, this is what they told me:

Ensuite Single : GMB/Pearse Street
    Apartment Single: Botany Bay or Front Square
    Single : Standard (shared bathroom) New Square / Rubrics

They also told me to put down Apartment Single even if I was applying with a friend, I've no idea what Apartment Double etc means, and their website is incredibly uninformative...

You're probably better off emailing the Accommodation Office anyway to check because they've probably changed what all the room types are by now, or forgotten, and New Square has possibly changed anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

When is the deadline for application does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

It was on friday.

Huh... guess I should go talk to them so. Odd that I didn't get an email this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just incase you didnt get it this time Apex,

Dear Student

It has been decided to extend the application period for rooms until Friday
    12th March at 5pm. This is to facilitate students who have had diifficulties
    submitting their online application and those who have been away during
    reading week.

To apply for please go to the following web link:

https://accommodation.tcd.ie/StudentBookings/

Regards

Student Residences

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    Dear Student

It has been decided to extend the application period for rooms until Friday
    12th March at 5pm. This is to facilitate students who have had diifficulties
    submitting their online application and those who have been away during
    reading week.

Student Residences

Or in other words, we did not get enough applications to fill all the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

sternn wrote: »
    Or in other words, we did not get enough applications to fill all the rooms.
    Doubtful. Demand always exceeds supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

You'd think that Pet but theres plenty of empty rooms on campus this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I always assumed that was a contingency for emergencies/incompetence on behalf of the accommodation office, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hmmmm, contingency plans might be part of the reason, but it can't be the whole reason, theres just too many empty rooms about. The way myself and a few friends got rooms was literally along the lines of:

Room x in building y is free, can we have it?
    Oh is it? Yeah you can move in tomorrow, here's the keys.

So yeah it might be the incompetency of the accommodation office too. But if enough people wanted them then you'd guess they'd end up full, which isn't really the case.

• Advertisement

just-joe wrote: »
    incompetency of the accommodation office
    Just felt compelled to quote this part for some reason... carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

When do we find out if we get a room or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

When I was talking to Linda in the accommodations office, I thought I heard her say 8th of May is the date we hear whether we have been successful or not. I know this date is a lot earlier than previous years bunt dont forget everything is earlier this year!

Does anyone know if the price of the rooms are going up? There was an article in the trinity news about it, but it doesn't specifically say if they are going up or not. At the moment, the highest possible price is €5077 for the year including rates etc.. Is it going to be more than this?

Just got my offer! GMB it is for me next year!

House 7 Front Square :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

sternn wrote: »
    Just got my offer! GMB it is for me next year!

Same here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Warrior011 wrote: »
    Same here!!

Same!

Undecided as to whether or not to accept due to the lack of parking, have heard the GMB is a lonely old place to live as well.

I'll probably accept after my initial moaning session though! :)

Same!

Undecided as to whether or not to accept due to the lack of parking, have heard the GMB is a lonely old place to live as well.

I'll probably accept after my initial moaning session though! :)

I assume that you share kitchen/ recreation areas with others though, or am I mistaken?

I assume that you share kitchen/ recreation areas with others though, or am I mistaken?

You do indeed. I have a mate living on the 2nd floor on the Dining Hall side of the GMB this year and he shares a kitchen with 3 or 4 other rooms. I think there are 2 kitchens per floor, one for each side of the building as there are 8 or 9 rooms per flooor

• Advertisement

You do indeed. I have a mate living on the 2nd floor on the Dining Hall side of the GMB this year and he shares a kitchen with 3 or 4 other rooms. I think there are 2 kitchens per floor, one for each side of the building as there are 8 or 9 rooms per flooor

Thanks for confirming that, I was just wondering because I'm not sure whether i'd be able to deal with seeing nobody else when around room/ apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Thanks for confirming that, I was just wondering because I'm not sure whether i'd be able to deal with seeing nobody else when around room/ apartment

Yep, you share a kitchen, so it can't be that bad! I was just going off one guy's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

House 2 Front Square! Is it even possible to live there? I hope so.

Yep, you share a kitchen, so it can't be that bad! I was just going off one guy's opinion.

Thats the same logic that I was going by

I happen to be staying in the same room as my friend is currently in the GMB. There are 7 people in his section, and i think 1 kitchen? Not completely sure bout it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

Trinity does not have a "campus". Trinity is a college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Openmp wrote: »
    Trinity does not have a "campus". Trinity is a college.

*rolls eyes* Really? You want to do pedantry? Here's pedantry:

There is "no difference or distinction" between Trinity College and the University of Dublin.

- Trinity Senator David Norris, 18 April 2000.

Trinity College and the University of Dublin "are one body".

- The High Court of Justice of Ireland, as published by Trinity College Dublin in Volume II of Chartae et Statuta Collegii Sacrosanctae et Individuae Trinitatis Reginae Elizabethae juxta Dublin, 1898, pages 507-536, in re The Provost, Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College Dublin v. the Attorney General, the Chancellor, Doctors and Masters of the University of Dublin and the Trustees and Executors of the will of the late Richard Tuohill Reid, holding that Trinity College and the University of Dublin "are one body."

In the interests of not derailing the thread, anyone know what the deal is with Scholars' room applications? According to the website, mine hasn't even been reviewed yet, but I know other Scholars this year got room offers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I applied for "on campus" accomodation, I guess they found a campus somewhere...

Also, I know of 2 scholars who haven't been sent anything yet, there must be something weird going on, because I've got an offer already...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I know of a few people who havnt heard anything!

And some of these should have been definitely getting a room somewhere on campus...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

Since when has David Norris, BA ever had any input into the running of the College?

Advertisement