Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The woman in the mirror

Options
  • 15-02-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been an attractive girl. I didn't have looks you could make a living out of but I've always been highly rated for attractiveness, charm and style. Obviously when I was younger I didn't realise this but I still traded on it. I travelled alot, met interesting people and was offered modeling jobs, (mostly none paying!) of various types randomly, which I never pursued as I wasn't confident and wouldn't have recognised an opportunity if it smacked me across the head. I also had access to smart, attractive men but didn't realise what was in front of me. I just assumed that all the doors that looks and charm opened would be open forever.

Now I'm thirty five. About three years go the 'thirties look' was really suiting me - cheekbones and all that. But I'm not liking the wrinkles around my eyes or laughter lines. I've always been fond of the men and used to be able to nail a stranger across a room with a glance (if you know what I mean, lol, yes I know how ridiculous this sounds!) and now I'm too afraid to even try.

Worst of all is that I suspect its only down hill from here!

I also keep feeling that I squandered myself on pointless men and situations when I could have sorted myself out with a nice lifestyle instead. I was naive. My attractiveness (moreso than my looks) gave me access not just to pretty people but to smart people. You wouldn't believe some of the people I've had dinner with and not just on dates. I was twenty one years old sitting at dinner parties in foreign mansions with leading intellectuals, famous actors, political journalist and artists and I didn't even know what they were talking about! I'd just smile and blush and everyone thought I was great! Now I would lap it up and have so much to add - but would I be invited to the party?

I am in a good relationship with a nice man. But I feel like I'm loosing one of my survival tools. Its not just about finding men, of course, its the whole game that I'm missing. Nothing beats walking into a room knowing that (unless you are having an unlucky night) you are the hottest thing in it. And I'll NEVER have that feeling again. Though I know I'm very, very lucky to have ever had that feeling. I just hate to say goodbye to it and I dread life as a woman of a certain age wearing a cardigan and drinking tea (though I'm already doing it!)
    Sometimes I don't want to go out because I feel like people who know me as a chick will judge my downfall!

I don't know if this is just a crisis in confidence or if this is the future.

If anyone has been through this and found there's more to life than being desirable, please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You probably know this already, but it's all in your mind. Anyway, how do you know you're not desireable? Someone obviously desires you.

What has passed is a phase part of your life that served its purpose. You had a good time, you moved on. It wasn't about the looks, though, it's about being in your early twenties and carefree. Whatever about the looks, that's not comign back.

Now, it's time for a different experience. You said yourself: you could go to a party now with "so much to add" whereas before, you had no idea what people were talking about. This is what you need to be proud of and to portray at parties. Men do find intelligent women attractive (usually more attractive) than the lightweight bimbo.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Susan Sarandon is almost 60 and looks great. With a bit of care and proper diet and lots of water and sleep people can look great for another 20 years past 35. Dont give up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sounds like your lifestyle thus far has been formed based on shallow ideals. Now your looks are starting to fade, you're starting to realise this & dont know what to do.

Not much you can do, I guess, except deal with the reality. Your looks have made life much easier for you up to this point, and now you're worried that your personality & intellect can't carry you going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, my God I could have written that, word for word.

All I can say to you is, it IS a grieving process. Some people will never understand. Like you I was a head turner. I hadn't a clue at the time the power it wielded and I was always oblivious.

I saw photos of me aged 20 a while ago and I couldn't believe how stunning I was. I didn't even know it. Like you I always had the power with men, i never manipulated it or used it as other girls would have done. I just didn't know how -I was in my own little world. Oblivious.

Anyway, I am 40 now, but I have found it hard to accept my looks going. Since I was in my early 30's I have been getting botox/fillers etc it had paid off as I look 10 years younger and my current man is late 20's. But still I do not identify with this mature woman I see before me.

People will go on about they wouldn't change their wrinkles, that they give them character and its shallow to mourn your looks but I disagree. Those are empty platitudes.

Like you I have modelling pics too, I never look at them though. I know what you mean re doors opening and I used to be very shy with the attention. To come from that sort of effortlessly magical and charmed existance to the humdrum everydayness of being and ordinary middle ages woman is hard. Yes I am vain, yes I am shallow but my brain still finds it difficult to accept this new reality.

Don't let others write off your grief as shallow, you seem sensible enough not to wallow in it but I just want to let you know it is real. A beautiful woman has further to fall I suppose.

Getting the botox etc has helped and I will get a facelift as soon as I get those droopy chops people get on their faces. I dont care what people think. I just cant bear to look at some hag in the mirror!

I've been an attractive girl. I didn't have looks you could make a living out of but I've always been highly rated for attractiveness, charm and style. Obviously when I was younger I didn't realise this but I still traded on it. I travelled alot, met interesting people and was offered modeling jobs, (mostly none paying!) of various types randomly, which I never pursued as I wasn't confident and wouldn't have recognised an opportunity if it smacked me across the head. I also had access to smart, attractive men but didn't realise what was in front of me. I just assumed that all the doors that looks and charm opened would be open forever.

Now I'm thirty five. About three years go the 'thirties look' was really suiting me - cheekbones and all that. But I'm not liking the wrinkles around my eyes or laughter lines. I've always been fond of the men and used to be able to nail a stranger across a room with a glance (if you know what I mean, lol, yes I know how ridiculous this sounds!) and now I'm too afraid to even try.

I also keep feeling that I squandered myself on pointless men and situations when I could have sorted myself out with a nice lifestyle instead. I was naive. My attractiveness (moreso than my looks) gave me access not just to pretty people but to smart people. You wouldn't believe some of the people I've had dinner with and not just on dates. I was twenty one years old sitting at dinner parties in foreign mansions with leading intellectuals, famous actors, political journalist and artists and I didn't even know what they were talking about! I'd just smile and blush and everyone thought I was great! Now I would lap it up and have so much to add - but would I be invited to the party?

I am in a good relationship with a nice man. But I feel like I'm loosing one of my survival tools. Its not just about finding men, of course, its the whole game that I'm missing. Nothing beats walking into a room knowing that (unless you are having an unlucky night) you are the hottest thing in it. And I'll NEVER have that feeling again. Though I know I'm very, very lucky to have ever had that feeling. I just hate to say goodbye to it and I dread life as a woman of a certain age wearing a cardigan and drinking tea (though I'm already doing it!)
    Sometimes I don't want to go out because I feel like people who know me as a chick will judge my downfall!

I don't know if this is just a crisis in confidence or if this is the future.

If anyone has been through this and found there's more to life than being desirable, please let me know!

I thought the feeling of graduating from college or being smart or nailing that job was the best feeling ever, now I know where i've been going wrong. Note to self start fluttering your eyelashes and laughing at mens stupid jokes. Please you need to realise there's more to life than being a dollybird, are you happy in your career, with your friends, any hobbies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

OP, my God I could have written that, word for word.

All I can say to you is, it IS a grieving process. Some people will never understand. Like you I was a head turner. I hadn't a clue at the time the power it wielded and I was always oblivious.

Don't let others write off your grief as shallow, you seem sensible enough not to wallow in it but I just want to let you know it is real. A beautiful woman has further to fall I suppose.

!

Or perhaps some people have a lot more going for them than their shallow physical beauty. It's common sense to know that looks fade, did no-one tell you that during your 'beautiful years'? I think your attitude is really condescending, as if no-one could understand if they weren't beautiful. I know a good few models (I've done some modelling myself but not to the level of these girls) who have had serious careers, I'm talking apartments in New York provided by their agencies, fashion shows all over Europe, pictures in Vogue. Undoubtedly stunning women, yet every single one of them has a knockout personality to match. They're funny, interesting, have a rake of hobbies (musical instruments, languages, outdoor sports...) and are intelligent, several of them are currently doing postgrad study. They used their looks, but they didn't rely on their looks. They all knew that at some point in the not-so-distant future (and they're all 24-28) that the lines would appear, the boobs would start to sag, and they'd need other things to get through life.

Even myself, I get a lot of attention walking around, I get chatted up a lot, but so what? Nobody is going to be interested in a woman with the personality of soggy cardboard. I love my make-up and I love putting cute outfits together, but my main interests are my studies, my future career, my hobbies, spending time with friends. The very thought of sitting at a dinner party fluttering my eyelashes makes me sick to my stomach. The idea of being eye candy for leading intellectuals is repulsive. I might as well be standing on a street corner.

Yourself and OP built this superficial 'reality' for yourselves. The options were always there, you just didn't take them. Of course no woman is going to be delighted when the appreciative glances start to lessen and it becomes time to start using Eight Hour Cream, but it's not the end of the world. It's time to realise that you can't coast by on good looks and youthful charm any longer and start using your other talents. If you don't have any other talents, that's no-one's fault but yours. These ideas about not being worth anything now and people judging your 'downfall' are all in your head.

Hey, why is everyone assuming there are no other talents. My youth was busily spent at college and developing many hobbies in music, writing and photography etc I'm sure OP had plenty else going on too.

Nowhere in either mine or OP's post did we mention we were underdeveloped in other areas. Those are conclusions jumped to by other posters.

However, despite all the enrichment and satisfaction that is got from developing talents and the like there really is no substitute for the narcissictic high of youth and beauty OP mentioned. I wouldn't have even been able to name it at the time but thats what it was.

What OP has said in her Original post has become taboo these days. If a woman feels sad about losing her youth and beauty then that is a valid emotion. People spouting cliches about her being underdeveloped in other areas and being vain and shallow are not helping.

Feelings are just feelings.

Sometimes I don't want to go out because I feel like people who know me as a chick will judge my downfall!I don't know if this is just a crisis in confidence or if this is the future.

If anyone has been through this and found there's more to life than being desirable
    , please let me know!

Justthesame have you actually read this post, the statements above would lead anyone to believe that OP's whole life was based around her looks and batting her eyelids to get what she wants, so people have been fair in their comments. She said it gave her access to smart people, I would have thought someone who was well educated or made a career for themselves wouldn't need to rely on their looks to gain access to "smart" people. It beggars belief that there is still women out there with this attitude in this day and age.

Hey, why is everyone assuming there are no other talents. My youth was busily spent at college and developing many hobbies in music, writing and photography etc I'm sure OP had plenty else going on too.

Nowhere in either mine or OP's post did we mention we were underdeveloped in other areas. Those are conclusions jumped to by other posters.

However, despite all the enrichment and satisfaction that is got from developing talents and the like there really is no substitute for the narcissictic high of youth and beauty OP mentioned. I wouldn't have even been able to name it at the time but thats what it was.

What OP has said in her Original post has become taboo these days. If a woman feels sad about losing her youth and beauty then that is a valid emotion. People spouting cliches about her being underdeveloped in other areas and being vain and shallow are not helping.

Feelings are just feelings.

What came through in the OP's post was that she had little else outside her looks. She said she sat at dinner parties not understanding what people were talking about etc. I do understand someone being sad about losing their youth and beauty. Everyone does, but for most people, their physical appearance is just one little part of who they are. It seems that the OP has made it into something much bigger than that. Yes, of course it is hard when guys are no longer running to hold doors open or helping with your bags, but that's the time when other things should become more important. It is quite sad when you see middle aged women trying to hang onto their youthful look and not letting it go. I mean, it's great to look good and make an effort, but the vapid dolly bird types start to look sad when they get past their twenties. I got the impression that the OP used her looks instead of developing other aspects of her personality and is now suffering for that.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Or perhaps some people have a lot more going for them than their shallow physical beauty. It's common sense to know that looks fade, did no-one tell you that during your 'beautiful years'? I think your attitude is really condescending, as if no-one could understand if they weren't beautiful. I know a good few models (I've done some modelling myself but not to the level of these girls) who have had serious careers, I'm talking apartments in New York provided by their agencies, fashion shows all over Europe, pictures in Vogue. Undoubtedly stunning women, yet every single one of them has a knockout personality to match. They're funny, interesting, have a rake of hobbies (musical instruments, languages, outdoor sports...) and are intelligent, several of them are currently doing postgrad study. They used their looks, but they didn't rely on their looks. They all knew that at some point in the not-so-distant future (and they're all 24-28) that the lines would appear, the boobs would start to sag, and they'd need other things to get through life.

Even myself, I get a lot of attention walking around, I get chatted up a lot, but so what? Nobody is going to be interested in a woman with the personality of soggy cardboard. I love my make-up and I love putting cute outfits together, but my main interests are my studies, my future career, my hobbies, spending time with friends. The very thought of sitting at a dinner party fluttering my eyelashes makes me sick to my stomach. The idea of being eye candy for leading intellectuals is repulsive. I might as well be standing on a street corner.

Yourself and OP built this superficial 'reality' for yourselves. The options were always there, you just didn't take them. Of course no woman is going to be delighted when the appreciative glances start to lessen and it becomes time to start using Eight Hour Cream, but it's not the end of the world. It's time to realise that you can't coast by on good looks and youthful charm any longer and start using your other talents. If you don't have any other talents, that's no-one's fault but yours. These ideas about not being worth anything now and people judging your 'downfall' are all in your head.

What is this Eight Hour Cream you speak of and where do I get some? ;-)

I'm the OP BTW.

I'd never have made it as a top model because I was never tall enough and was too clueless to pursue it anyway! I was also never a dolly bird - in fact being a dolly bird is how NOT to attract quality company. I never went after rich men (in fact I couldn't have ended up with poorer ones if I'd tried!) and I've had a satisfying career (until being made redundant in Nov).

Looks and personality aren't mutually exclusive - you said yourself that the top models you know have both. Part of my success when I was younger was that I was considered good company (looks alone are never enough - unless you're Naomi Campbell!) but even if I was eye candy for intellectuals, I still feel privileged that I got to sit in and learn from those people (its just a killer that I had access to these great minds at a time when I didn't know enough about the world to join in). I still wouldn't have missed out on those experiences for anything - and I don't think I would have had those experiences if I wasn't young and beautiful - and had a good personality, thats a given - but I'm pretty sure personality alone would not jetted me to the world's best dinner parties.

Everyone knows they won't be young and stunning forever. This hasn't come as a surprise and of course I know there is more to life and always has been. But I am surprised by how much I'm grieving for it. Walking into a room looking amazing would give me a massive adrenaline rush, maybe thats not your thing but for me it has been a gift that has enhanced my life.

Yes, I know its not the end of the world.... and maybe I'm just having a crisis in confidence and as someone said its (mostly) all in my mind... but still. I would frown now but my face might get creased!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You shouldnt have wrinkles already. You dont take care of yourself? Do you smoke and drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It's sad that this woman sat at dinner parties in her 20s and didn't understand what was going on around her. Did she make any attempt to understand? Did she not realise that her looks brought her into contact with people others would kill to be around? The least she could do was to learn something from it.

It's one thing to trade on looks for knowledge and enlightenment, but it's utterly stupid to trade on looks alone and not make provision for a time when the looks are gone. Having said that, a woman with wit and personality will sparkle at any age and getting older isn't such a big deal. Botox and fillers make a mask out of a woman's face and stop the personality getting through. There's more to life than what's looking back at you from the mirror.

I'm the OP BTW.

I'd never have made it as a top model because I was never tall enough and was too clueless to pursue it anyway! I was also never a dolly bird - in fact being a dolly bird is how NOT to attract quality company. I never went after rich men (in fact I couldn't have ended up with poorer ones if I'd tried!) and I've had a satisfying career (until being made redundant in Nov).

Looks and personality aren't mutually exclusive - you said yourself that the top models you know have both. Part of my success when I was younger was that I was considered good company (looks alone are never enough - unless you're Naomi Campbell!) but even if I was eye candy for intellectuals, I still feel privileged that I got to sit in and learn from those people (its just a killer that I had access to these great minds at a time when I didn't know enough about the world to join in). I still wouldn't have missed out on those experiences for anything - and I don't think I would have had those experiences if I wasn't young and beautiful - and had a good personality, thats a given - but I'm pretty sure personality alone would not jetted me to the world's best dinner parties.

Everyone knows they won't be young and stunning forever. This hasn't come as a surprise and of course I know there is more to life and always has been. But I am surprised by how much I'm grieving for it. Walking into a room looking amazing would give me a massive adrenaline rush, maybe thats not your thing but for me it has been a gift that has enhanced my life.

Yes, I know its not the end of the world.... and maybe I'm just having a crisis in confidence and as someone said its (mostly) all in my mind... but still. I would frown now but my face might get creased!

You say you were never a dolly bird, yet you say you were too clueless to become a model and that you were invited places because of your looks??? Hmmm

You shouldnt have wrinkles already. You dont take care of yourself? Do you smoke and drink?

I have the odd cigarette and do drink from time to time. But the main problem is that I have the kind of very fair Irish skin that gets 'weathered' easily (though I do avoid the sun). My mother was the same, though she has been a heavy smoker all her life and looks it. And I have dark circles. People do sometimes mistake me for younger than I am but thats because I have big eyes and small facial features and still act quite young, but in the cold light of day (especially mornings!) I wouldn't say I'm aging particularly well.

Thanks for the support justthesame. Its nice to be understood! Its true that its not PC to say that looks have mattered in your life.

Just for the record, there is alot of other stuff in my life. I'm educated to postgrad level, I've just started collecting ideas for a blog, I've had solo exhibitions of my photography in the past and I'm a superb cook (modest too!). I've also had a successful career in a very competitive area, though I'm out of work right now as my employers went out of business before Christmas.

So looks or attractiveness was never the whole picture for me, just a part of my life that gave me enormous pleasure and led to wonderful experiences. I miss that part of my life. I'm well capable of immersing myself in my writing or photography for hours, just as I'm (now!) well capable of holding a great conversation at a dinner party and I still get attention when I scrub up... but I miss the adrenaline rush, and I miss the opportunities. And the real kicker is that, rather than being the good girl with the degree and the hobbies, I could've taken advantage of the opportunities my looks gave me to set up a much more interesting and glamorous life!

That doesn't mean being a street walker, it means having a bit of sense! My looks gave me access to interesting cliques who I never even had the sense to stay in touch with and even to career opportunities that couldn't recognise.... and frankly, I also had the attention of wonderful older men, but I didn't even realise how fantastic they were because I didn't know any better back then! Aaaaargh... oh but I did work on my hobbies instead.... maybe you're all correct... the brain power must have been lacking! LOL.

Well I suppose I'll end up with the face I deserve... but if there's any hot young things reading this my advice would be to get out there and work it baby!

How much does botox cost and does it feel uncomfortable to have frozen muscles?

I'm the OP BTW.

Of course personality wouldn't but think about it. They were hardly the worlds greatest minds really were they. When you're young and naive its easy to be blinded by people fluffing themselves up banging on about neitche or whatever. The truth be told they would have been looking at you and would have traded ALL their supposed intellect/sophistication etc for one day in your body. They would just like we would now....people go on about your face getting personality etc as you get older...its pure bullsh1t, I would trade all the personality/experience etc I have now to be young again. Although I would have run a mile from 'dinner parties' as I would have considered that embarrassing and uncool no matter what they laid out.

Thats the truth. As people get older they say they prefer being the way they are but thats because they have no choice. They are making the best of their lot, we lose our objectivity as we get older and we dont have a choice and claim we prefer what we have. BUT if we all had the choice to go back to being a Goddess with a fairly blank mind or be a rounded older woman....which would it be?

For me there its a no brainer. Youth all the way.

I'm the OP BTW.

You say you weren't a dolly bird but everything you've written makes it sound like you were indeed exactly that. You say you were 'good company' - so are the thousands of Western hostesses who get paid to sit in bars and chat to Japanese businessmen. So are high end escorts. So you went to 'the world's best dinner parties' - who cares? Don't you think it's quite shallow that a few parties is on the list of important things you've done? I said the girls I know have good personalities, but I'm not talking about the fact they can entertain people at parties. They're interesting and they use their intellect - one recently set up a charity, another is working for the UN, another is doing an advanced degree at the Sorbonne in Paris. I don't think of them as beautiful people, I think of them as intelligent, kind, successful, interesting people who just happen to be much better looking than most, and from what I see, that's how they see themselves. They could have coasted through life letting their looks get them things, but they didn't. They enjoyed the model lifestyle of parties and exotic locations at the time but are the first to look back and say how shallow and unfulfilling it all was.

We all use our looks to some extent, but it's dangerous when it becomes the main thing in your life. Isn't it so much more satisfying to get things based on hard work than on looks?
    And the real kicker is that, rather than being the good girl with the degree and the hobbies, I could've taken advantage of the opportunities my looks gave me to set up a much more interesting and glamorous life!

Why? What was so appealing about that? Why couldn't you have had an interesting life anyway?

Depends on how much you want, between €300 and €500. No it is not uncomfortable at all, in fact for me its more comfortable. Less tension in the face, less headaches, bruxing at night etc.

That nonsense about peoples faces being frozen and they can't do expressions is rubbish touted blatantly by people who actually have botox themselves. Just ensure its a Doctor that does it, mine is an artist with the needle. Don't let hairdressers etc do it. I can spot good botox and I can spot bad botox, the difference is bad botox is noticable, good is not.

You'll get the 'natural' fascists who will go on about putting 'poison' in your face but who will spend €300 a year on creams and more on facials which are all snake oil. I don't get that. Do the job properly with something that works. A stitch in time saves nine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Dim

Of course personality wouldn't but think about it. They were hardly the worlds greatest minds really were they. When you're young and naive its easy to be blinded by people fluffing themselves up banging on about neitche or whatever. The truth be told they would have been looking at you and would have traded ALL their supposed intellect/sophistication etc for one day in your body. They would just like we would now....people go on about your face getting personality etc as you get older...its pure bullsh1t, I would trade all the personality/experience etc I have now to be young again. Although I would have run a mile from 'dinner parties' as I would have considered that embarrassing and uncool no matter what they laid out.

Thats the truth. As people get older they say they prefer being the way they are but thats because they have no choice. They are making the best of their lot, we lose our objectivity as we get older and we dont have a choice and claim we prefer what we have. BUT if we all had the choice to go back to being a Goddess with a fairly blank mind or be a rounded older woman....which would it be?

I would not trade what I have learn't in the past 10 years to look how I did 10 years ago. Those years have contributed to who I am now. You seem to value appearance over all other things? Everyone doesn't think that way, you are making life harder on yourself.

btw, the worlds greatest minds would not be interested in you merely for your looks, if they did... they wouldn't be the worlds greatest minds.

Do you honestly believe that BS, people would trade their intellect and sophistication, to be pretty for one day, get a grip seriously.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I said the girls I know have good personalities, but I'm not talking about the fact they can entertain people at parties. They're interesting and they use their intellect - one recently set up a charity, another is working for the UN, another is doing an advanced degree at the Sorbonne in Paris. I don't think of them as beautiful people, I think of them as intelligent, kind, successful, interesting people who just happen to be much better looking than most, and from what I see, that's how they see themselves. They could have coasted through life letting their looks get them things, but they didn't. They enjoyed the model lifestyle of parties and exotic locations at the time but are the first to look back and say how shallow and unfulfilling it all was.

And you don't in any way think that great connections, visibility and cheekbones might make someone more likely to start their own charity? This is what I'm talking about!! Ok, so academia is open to anyone, but it sounds like these girls have also made good use of the opportunities being beautiful brought them (unlike me)! Of course its not the only way to make it, but god knows it helps!!!

• Advertisement

I have the odd cigarette and do drink from time to time. But the main problem is that I have the kind of very fair Irish skin that gets 'weathered' easily (though I do avoid the sun). My mother was the same, though she has been a heavy smoker all her life and looks it. And I have dark circles. People do sometimes mistake me for younger than I am but thats because I have big eyes and small facial features and still act quite young, but in the cold light of day (especially mornings!) I wouldn't say I'm aging particularly well.

Thanks for the support justthesame. Its nice to be understood! Its true that its not PC to say that looks have mattered in your life.
    Just for the record, there is alot of other stuff in my life. I'm educated to postgrad level, I've just started collecting ideas for a blog, I've had solo exhibitions of my photography in the past and I'm a superb cook (modest too!). I've also had a successful career in a very competitive area, though I'm out of work right now as my employers went out of business before Christmas.

So looks or attractiveness was never the whole picture for me, just a part of my life that gave me enormous pleasure and led to wonderful experiences. I miss that part of my life. I'm well capable of immersing myself in my writing or photography for hours, just as I'm (now!) well capable of holding a great conversation at a dinner party and I still get attention when I scrub up... but I miss the adrenaline rush, and I miss the opportunities. And the real kicker is that, rather than being the good girl with the degree and the hobbies, I could've taken advantage of the opportunities my looks gave me to set up a much more interesting and glamorous life!
    That doesn't mean being a street walker, it means having a bit of sense! My looks gave me access to interesting cliques who I never even had the sense to stay in touch with and even to career opportunities that couldn't recognise.... and frankly, I also had the attention of wonderful older men, but I didn't even realise how fantastic they were because I didn't know any better back then! Aaaaargh... oh but I did work on my hobbies instead.... maybe you're all correct... the brain power must have been lacking! LOL.

Well I suppose I'll end up with the face I deserve... but if there's any hot young things reading this my advice would be to get out there and work it baby!

How much does botox cost and does it feel uncomfortable to have frozen muscles?

It's not about being PC it's about making women look like dumb barbie dolls who are there to look pretty. You didn't take the so called oppotunities you reckon you were given so whats your problem with people who have degrees and hobbies, and what do you mean by "good girls". News flash honey, just because people have degrees and hobbies doesn't mean they don't enjoy their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Youth is wasted on the young, we don't appreciate what we've got 'til it's gone, etc.

You lived through your youth and made your choices. That part of your life is now over. Accept it. Don't ruin this new phase looking to the past with regret. You're not alone - aging happens for everyone. Think how lucky you are to have made it this far - some haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

OP you say you wish you had used the opportunity to create a glamorous and interesting life--what do you mean by that? Your life as you describe it with your writing and photography sounds very Carrie Bradshaw to me? What could be better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Emme wrote: »
    It's sad that this woman sat at dinner parties in her 20s and didn't understand what was going on around her. Did she make any attempt to understand? Did she not realise that her looks brought her into contact with people others would kill to be around? The least she could do was to learn something from it.

Is it really sad? It doesn't upset me, none of us know about every topic that exists. If I sat around a table of people discussing particle physics I wouldn't know whats going on, but I don't think that's sad. Fulfillment doesn't come from knowing more pieces of information than the next person, it comes from presence.

A lot of people here are getting very judgmental with the OP, the OP experienced incredible emotions the likes of which she may never experience again. It's like telling a heroine addict that heroin doesnt't exist anymore. You're going to get withdrawal. We all want good emotions, the OP lost a source of really intensely stimulating emotions and now it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its a fact of life that as women age closer and closer to menopause and we lose our repriductive value, we lose alot of what we took for granted.

Very beautiful women feel it more.

If you can keep your weight down and your skin good then you will be ok. Just work with ageing. You dont want to look like joan rivers.

Ageing stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You probably know this already, but it's all in your mind.

In all fairness to the OP Its not just in her mind. The ageing process is something that many women worry about particularly when you have conventially 'good looks'.
    I was twenty one years old sitting at dinner parties in foreign mansions with leading intellectuals, famous actors, political journalist and artists and I didn't even know what they were talking about! I'd just smile and blush and everyone thought I was great! Now I would lap it up and have so much to add - but would I be invited to the party?

Isn't it much more better now that since your older,wiser and more knowledgeable that you could add something to the conversation rather than just sit their and blush at people?
    Nothing beats walking into a room knowing that (unless you are having an unlucky night) you are the hottest thing in it.

I definately understand where your coming from as I know what its like getting a lot of attention from the opposite sex, but I can count at least one million things that beat the feeling of knowing your the hottest thing in a room! I would hate to go back to my early twenties and late teens where I was validated more on my looks rather than my character. Even If your Giselle, there wil always be more beautiful women than you, as beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    You seem to be in a realtionship with someone that cares for you,isn't the feeling of being wanted by someone who knows the real you a lot more fullfilling than sitting at a table blushing and being mute?
    Getting the botox etc has helped and I will get a facelift as soon as I get those droopy chops people get on their faces. I dont care what people think. I just cant bear to look at some hag in the mirror!

I refuse to let my daughters and the next generation think they are an 'old hag' at 35. Im all for ditching this botox nonsense and really embracing agening as a positive,beautiful mark of a women.

“You could see the signs of female ageing as diseased… Or you could see that if a woman is healthy she lives to grow old; as she thrives, she reacts and speaks and shows emotion, and grows into her face. Lines trace her thought and radiate from the corners of her eyes after decades of laughter, closing together like fans as she smiles. You could call the lines a network of ‘serious lesions,’ or you could see that in a precise calligraphy, thought has etched marks of concentration between her brows, and drawn across her forehead the horizontal creases of surprise, delight, compassion and good talk. A lifetime of kissing, of speaking and weeping, shows expressively around a mouth scored like a leaf in motion. The skin loosens on her face and throat, giving her features a setting of sensual dignity; her features grow stronger as she does. She has looked around in her life, and it shows. When grey and white reflect in her hair, you could call it a dirty secret or you could call it silver or moonlight. Her body fills into itself, taking on gravity like a bather breasting water, growing generous with the rest of her. The darkening under her eyes, the weight of her lids, their minute cross-hatching, reveal that what she has been part of has left in her its complexity and richness. She is darker, stronger, looser, tougher, sexier. The maturing of a woman who has continued to grow is a beautiful thing to behold. Or, if your ad revenue… depend on it, it is an operable condition.”

Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth

Naoimi Wolf is a class A a$$h0le and a hypocrite. How the words above trip so easily off the tongue of someone with movie star looks and despite being born in 1962 still looks in her 20's, strange that isn't it.

I also read recently she is dating a man 15 years younger and she admit behaving like a lovestruck schoolgirl fussing over her appearance before dates and dumbing down her conversations for him, although that shouldn't be too hard for her, I'd say many would see clean through the pseudo intellectual drivel she spouts.

She is truly full of $hit and I wouldn't look to her for any answers thats for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

panda100 wrote: »

I definately understand where your coming from as I know what its like getting a lot of attention from the opposite sex, but I can count at least one million things that beat the feeling of knowing your the hottest thing in a room! I would hate to go back to my early twenties and late teens where I was validated more on my looks rather than my character. Even If your Giselle, there wil always be more beautiful women than you, as beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    You seem to be in a realtionship with someone that cares for you,isn't the feeling of being wanted by someone who knows the real you a lot more fullfilling than sitting at a table blushing and being mute?

I think being validated on your character is in the same league of superficiality as being validated on your hotness. Either way your trying to fill a bucket with a hole in it. Even when you get the validation you are looking for the good feeling doesn't last long and you go looking for more like a drug addict. The consistent good feelings come from loving and accepting yourself unconditionally. When you can accept and love yourself even if you think you are dumb, boring and ugly thats when the life that you are shines.

Of course personality wouldn't but think about it. They were hardly the worlds greatest minds really were they. When you're young and naive its easy to be blinded by people fluffing themselves up banging on about neitche or whatever. The truth be told they would have been looking at you and would have traded ALL their supposed intellect/sophistication etc for one day in your body.

That's so presumptuous. You really believe that a leading academic would trade everything to be beautiful? Most of the academics I know are far too busy and into their work to even worry about what outfit to wear. I think your attitude is pretty delusional to be honest. Looks are really not that important to most people. I like to make an effort and look nice, but my appearance is usually way down there on the list of important things to think about.
    They would just like we would now....people go on about your face getting personality etc as you get older...its pure bullsh1t, I would trade all the personality/experience etc I have now to be young again. Although I would have run a mile from 'dinner parties' as I would have considered that embarrassing and uncool no matter what they laid out.

But you can't turn back the clock. What is the point in wasting your life away wishing you looked younger? Yes, we all want to look good and sexy and young forever but it isn't a total preoccupation for most people. And as for choosing whether to be a thick young woman or a wise older one, well not everyone would agree with you on that.
    And you don't in any way think that great connections, visibility and cheekbones might make someone more likely to start their own charity? This is what I'm talking about!! Ok, so academia is open to anyone, but it sounds like these girls have also made good use of the opportunities being beautiful brought them (unlike me)! Of course its not the only way to make it, but god knows it helps!!!

Well in the case of the charity, yes, maybe. This girl was a catwalk model. But not sure what your point is here. You said yourself you weren't a model or high profile and couldn't have ever been, so why wish for something that never would've happened? And plenty of people who aren't beautiful and well connected do great things all the time - what ever stopped you from starting a charity, for example?

And academia is no more open to anyone than Miss World is open to anyone. Do you not think you could make good use of an advanced degree? I know lots of people living in exotic places, doing important jobs, getting invited to dinner parties and none of them are beautiful with the exception of the girls I mentioned. I'm confused as to why you think looks are so important? I'd prefer to be invited to a dinner party because I'd written a wonderful paper which got published than because I looked sexy in a short dress. I mean, creating something is an achievement, something you work for. You were born beautiful, so what is there to be proud of? Of course it's nice to be pretty, but to me it's just that, nice. Not important, not the be all and end all. I think looks should enhance your life, not be your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

All the Advice you could ever want in 3 words

"GET OVER YOURSELF"

Advertisement