Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 courses in Cork

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Having a Beamish in Courthouse here.
    Things dry enough.

Jaysus not sure if more pubs or traffic lights in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

aster99 wrote: »
    Blarney isn't as good as the courses mentioned above but it's very dry and in great condition if it's any good to you.

Have to agree about blarney
    Played it while back and was very disappointed with it.very average course in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Cork is considered to be very dry as most of the course is built on limestone . However it's not in it's usual great condition at the moment . Greens have had a few problems and some have GUR markings on them .

Don't know what's after happening down there, but the greens there are in a very poor condition for the last 2 months. Members giving out and numerous societies also. I've played it recently and it was definitely the poorest condition I've seen the place ever.

Very disappointing to see the greens in that condition when you visit a big course like Cork. Fota by comparison is in fantastic condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In the end, due to time and playing partners location, ended up playing Douglas.
    Thanks for your tips above anyway - will use advice and this thread again - at some stage - I plan to play every course in or around Cork City over next year or so. Have a good few friends down that way.

Douglas is a fantastic course - with great history in design - Vardon and MacKenzie.

Got absolutely drenched - very impressed with the course - and that was on a poor day weather wise. Great holes like 5 and 8 and then a great run of holes from 12 to 17. Maybe front lacks character of back - also only 3 par 3s and - they are only ok holes.

Loved the natural bends in the holes - with slight change in height - and was hitting plenty of mid irons all day - the day that was in it played a part here.

Played well enough 2 over on back - with a few lip outs -

Started shocking as - lets just say, I wanted to see what the night could offer in Cork - and when the Beamish is that good - you got to go with the flow. 32 points in the end, at the golf.

I'd imagine in the summer, time and equipment may have passed out the course a little - is only 5791 M - but hard to judge today - example last hole is a drive and mid iron to a par 5. Many other holes you are just using a 3 wood and no problem.

But overall very surprised - course held up well enough and was solid to start - but greens got a bit flooded at end. No course could have held out today.

Will be back to Douglas - but many more course to play first down there - back in December .

Cork - a class place for a holiday - now a great place for golf too.

Will be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Old thread I came across.

A few years later now, what would the top 10 be these days?

Some courses have seen changes in that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’d still reckon it’s going to be

Fota

Old Head

Cork

Castlemartyr

Lee Valley

Muskerry

Douglas

Bandon

Mallow

Macroom

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Very interesting to read back on the thread and note how much has changed in 10-12 years.

Water Rock and Frankfield got a mention but unfortunately both are now closed. Charleville got into financial difficulty and had to sell off some land. I haven't played it since so I am unsure how many holes are gone.

There was a comment about my home club Castlemartyr being one of driest courses in the county. It is now one of the wettest winter courses.

Lots of bargain green fees were reported early in the thread. Most of them have doubled or tripled in price since then

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I'd personally go for:

1. Old Head (for overall experience although I would say Cork is without doubt a better golf course)

2. Cork

3. Fota

4. Castlemartyr

5. Muskerry

6. Lee Valley

7/8/9 Douglas/Macroom/Mallow

10 Clonakilty/Mahon/Cobh/Blarney/Kinsale/East Cork/Youghal

Haven't played Bandon/Fermoy/Mitchelstown/Raffeen Creek

I used to have a big sweet spot for Clonakilty (Lisselan), would have been maybe as high as 6th on my list, but I think the extra holes added on have really taken away a lot from it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

I think my 10 would be...

Fota

Old Head

Cork

Douglas

Castlemartyr

Lee Valley

Bandon

Bantry Bay

Muskerry

Mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

I wonder will we ever see a new course development in Cork

It's more likely I suppose if the courses in Cork all manage to remain open that will be the height of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement