Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 courses in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I Have played Fota a number of times, in all its combinations.

Its nice to play, well looked after etc, But Its wide open, big greens, and you could easily knock up a good score there, I would put castlemartyer ahead of it. How do courses get Irish Opens ? this years winner will be a massive score.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

How much are midweek greens fees for the following courses??

Cork
    Old Head
    Castlemartyr

I hope to play one of the courses above before I play Fota the the day after. Anyone recommend one to me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Sean_pop wrote: »

Cork
    Old Head
    Castlemartyr

I hope to play one of the courses above before I play Fota the the day after. Anyone recommend one to me!!!

Cork used to have an open singles during the week for €35. Not sure if they still do though. Old Head is a "must play" course so if you have the chance I'd play there because I think that while there are better courses out there, it is spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Waterrock is our go to course here in Cork.
    Cheap green fees and kept in good condition.
    Easy front nine and a challenge on the back nine.
    A no fuss golf course.

Fota is more expensive obviously but at circa 50 euro it's not overly so.
    Always in great condition. Even the newer nine had started to grow on me.
    Deer Park 18 is simply a lovely course.

I haven't played Cork since 2001! Society at work will be playing there during the summer.

Mahon is what it is. A municipal course but I've never not enjoyed a round there.

My father was a member of Kanturk a fews years back. I would rate it also but it's been years and a little too out of the way for city dwellers.

Played Old Head a few weeks ago. Some incredibly picturesque holes but overall a little underwhelmed.

So essentially, when I fancy a round it's Waterrock. If I'm feeling flaithúil then it's Fota.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stevie555

Cork
    Old Head
    Castlemartyr

Castlemartyr do deal for green fees and lunch for €35. Lovely course, really enjoy it there and the food is god too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Some photographs - from Fota, Cork GC, Old Head and Water Rock - all taken last weekend.

http://www.theirishgolfblog.com/2014/05/photos-of-corks-golf-clubs.html

Some photographs - from Fota, Cork GC, Old Head and Water Rock - all taken last weekend.

If the price is right I think I will play Old Head. It looks like something special from the pictures I have looked at.

That is some shot of the 18th at The Old Head Kevin. Would look nice hanging in the hall at home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

If the price is right I think I will play Old Head. It looks like something special from the pictures I have looked at.

I'm biased...but I recommend it. If the weather is good, it's spectacular. When the wind blows, it's a completely different animal but still spectacular.

Just checked with Old Head and there Club Championship for Members runs from May 29th, 30th & 31st and the course would be closed to outside play.:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Just checked with Old Head and there Club Championship for Members runs from May 29th, 30th & 31st and the course would be closed to outside play.:(:(:(

I think the Captains prize is that weekend in Fota as well or do you already have a tee time booked there ?

Tweaky wrote: »
    I think the Captains prize is that weekend in Fota as well or do you already have a tee time booked there ?

Already have time booked in Fota at 9.20am.:) It will cost €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Outside of Fota, douglas is the best conditioned course in Cork. The greens in douglas are top 3 in the country.

As you can see from prev posts I am a huge fan of Cork GC. But I have to disagree on the new bunkering. It is awful and I know it has caused a lot of tensions down there with members etc the condition of the bunkers are good, it's the design in the issue. They have basically added 2/3 fairway bunkers on every par 4/5. Problem is they are designed like green side bunkers with huge lips. They are also v narrow so u rarely get a stance. Imo fairway bunkers shud be flat with smallish lips. I think the new bunkering has weakened the course. It's made it somehow tacky and I'm turned off a track I used to love but there u go...

snaphook wrote: »
    Waterrock is our go to course here in Cork.
    Cheap green fees and kept in good condition.
    Easy front nine and a challenge on the back nine.
    A no fuss golf course.

Heard recently that Waterrock may be looking at taking on members as opposed to relying purely on green fees. Sounds a strange move considering the amount of clubs that are struggling to retain members never mind get new members.
    Just wondering if anybody else had heard anything similar in relation to Waterrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

I heard that a few months ago regarding Waterrock but not sure how accurate it is

Yeah I heard it a few months ago from one source and heard it more recently from a totally different source. Again not sure how accurate either source is but thought someone in the know on here might be able to throw some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

lads - hitting Cork for a few days.

Have played Old Head and Cobh and Fota recently.

So playing Cork and Lee Valley this time as near city.

Would that be a nice combination ?

Why are there no sand dunes in Cork anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Why are there no sand dunes in Cork anyway ?

There are some decent sand dunes around barleycove they are protected though.
    They would be 2 good choices though. Castlemartyr is a decent track to and has a slight linksy feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Well after playing Cobh, Old Head, Douglas, Water Rock, Castlemartyr in recent weeks any of them are worth a visit.

Old Head was my favourite but Cobh for €20 was worth every penny, course is in great condition :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Its been fairly wet down here. Only Fota and Castlemartyr can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Blarney isn't as good as the courses mentioned above but it's very dry and in great condition if it's any good to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Played Lee Valley earlier this year, wasn't impressed, very hilly and has 6 severe dogleg par 4s, but Castlemartyr would be ideal to play with Cork gc.

Yes after that rain - I'll have to look at course that will handle it - will look into Castlemartyr.

Would cork handle that lads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Yes after that rain - I'll have to look at course that will handle it - will look into Castlemartyr.

Would cork handle that lads ?

Not as well as the other two no. But if you haven't played it before its worth it just to enjoy such a great layout, especially the contoured greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

If I was playing this week it would be between castle martyr or maybe blarney. Absolutely hockeying it down all last night and this morning.

Thanks lads - good few friends in Cork so will get them all in at some stage, so will look at drier options above.

Tha.

Thanks lads - good few friends in Cork so will get them all in at some stage, so will look at drier options above.

Tha.

Castlemartyr, Fota or Blarney would probably be the driest Fixd. Condition-wise, at this time of the year though, I wouldn't be looking beyond Fota. I know you have played it before but you are guaranteed a dry sod and the place is always immaculate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Cork is considered to be very dry as most of the course is built on limestone . However it's not in it's usual great condition at the moment . Greens have had a few problems and some have GUR markings on them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Fota, Castlemartyr, Blarney and Cobh all OK after the rain Fixed.

Advertisement