Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help choosing a fitness and nutrition course :-)

Options
  • 25-11-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

So I'm starting a fitness and nutrition course in January. I just haven't decided in which country, city or college to do it in.

This course in Exercise, Health Studies & Personal Training (http://www.ntc.ie/course.php?id=1239196549) at the National Training Centre in Dublin seems to cover everything I want to study. However, it is only 11 hours per week for 18 weeks. I am seriously confused. I've been researching courses online for the past four months, and it's just plain confusing.

For example, that course claims that you will be a fully qualified personal trainer on completion. 11 hours per week for 18 weeks. Why, then, are there personal training courses that last up to a whole year - FULL time?

I've also come across personal training courses that are full time and last just 8 weeks. That's 320 hours. Yet the course in Exercise, Health Studies & Personal Training I mentioned is 191 hours, and claims to qualify you fully as not only a personal trainer, but as a fitness instructor too.. It's 130 hours less yet gives you more qualifications?

I'm just very confused about it it all, and would really appreciate some guidance about which courses truly provide what qualifications... And why the odd differences in hours and qualifications?

Finally, can anybody recommend a great course to study in the UK along the lines of the National Qualification in Exercise, Health Studies & Personal Training?
    How much should I expect to pay for a good course in this field? The one I've mentioned is just under €2,000, which appears to be cheaper than most - so I'm wondering is there a reason it's so much cheaper...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

I think you can do this course in the UK now.

http://www.eifitness.com/about-our-courses/master-trainer/

It very practical and you take on clients during it for classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I've been investigating that course too, and will most likely enroll, but I'd imagine, with the costs involved it's not that hard a course. You're essentially just paying for the qualification and sitting about for a few hours a week.

Has anyone done this course that can give a review or recommend an alternative, in Dublin preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

brianblaze wrote: »
    I've been investigating that course too, and will most likely enroll, but I'd imagine, with the costs involved it's not that hard a course. You're essentially just paying for the qualification and sitting about for a few hours a week.

Has anyone done this course that can give a review or recommend an alternative, in Dublin preferably.

can you dance?

can you dance?

Is this in reference to the 'Workout to Music' section of the course, or a set up for a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

which course are you talking about?

NCEF? NTC? EIFitness?

• Advertisement

NTC...

Hi Brian,

Thank you for contacting the National Training Centre.

Please be advised that we do have an open evening this evening at 7pm. You can register for this at the website www.ntc.ie. Any queries you have about the course can be answered.

You will be free to tour the facilities and enjoy a tea or coffee between 19:00 and 19:45. We will have a presentation regarding the National Qualification in Exercise, Health Studies and Personal Training course at 19:45.

The course is currently 50% full for January 2009.

Kind Regards

<snip>
    NTC Administrator
    National Training Centre
    16a St Josephs Parade
    Dorset Street

I'll be going there after work anyway

Is this in reference to the 'Workout to Music' section of the course, or a set up for a joke...

It's a fairly large part of the course and one where guys tend to be at a disadvantage..

Anyone else going?

It's a fairly large part of the course and one where guys tend to be at a disadvantage..

Ah, I can make a fool of myself no problem!

Ah, I can make a fool of myself no problem!

Seriously though it's just as large a part as RT or Anatomy or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Yep I'm heading along!

Seriously though it's just as large a part as RT or Anatomy or whatever.

Ah, I'd stand on my head if that's what it took to get qualified! I'll do the Funky Chicken, it's a great triceps workout...

cmyk wrote: »
    Yep I'm heading along!

I'm going from work so will be the dude with the Pinstripe pants, blue stripey shirt and a ratty pair of Nike trainers on!

Feel free to say hello

Whatever

Whatever

Have you done the course?

Have you done the course?

Why?

Why?

So you can say if it's worthwhile or not... I'd like an independant opinion on whether it's worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I'm going from work so will be the dude with the Pinstripe pants, blue stripey shirt and a ratty pair of Nike trainers on!

Feel free to say hello

Will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Whatever
    Ah would you stop it! He's just asking for information - keep that up and it'll be coal in your stockings on Christmas morning :D

g'em wrote: »
    Ah would you stop it! He's just asking for information - keep that up and it'll be coal in your stockings on Christmas morning :D

Yeah!! Take that!!

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »

I had PM'd him :p

I had PM'd him :p

An very helpful it was too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

An very helpful it was too

He has his moments :rolleyes:

<3 L :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Anybody? lol!

Open day was good. Reckon I'll be enrolling tomorrow, but I'd imagine you'd need to do some post course work to get to where you wanna be if you wanna train full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

eskimo wrote: »
    For example, that course claims that you will be a fully qualified personal trainer on completion. 11 hours per week for 18 weeks. Why, then, are there personal training courses that last up to a whole year - FULL time?

I've also come across personal training courses that are full time and last just 8 weeks. That's 320 hours. Yet the course in Exercise, Health Studies & Personal Training I mentioned is 191 hours, and claims to qualify you fully as not only a personal trainer, but as a fitness instructor too.. It's 130 hours less yet gives you more qualifications?

Sorry I can't provide help on any of the specific courses, but I can imagine it is probably very confusing with courses of different content and duration offering different qualifications. I think you need to investigate what kind of a qualification each course is offering. Who is the awarding body? Who recognises this qualification? Do insurance companies? Potential employers? e.g. you could do a 12 week course in physiotherapy, and work and call yourself a physiotherapist or physical therapist (sure you don't even have to do a course!) but unless you have done a physiotherapy course that is recognised by the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists you cannot call yourself a Chartered Physiotherapist or will not be able to work in a hospital, or HSE clinic, and VHI etc may not reimburse your patients, and I imagine it must not be easy or possible to get insured without the recognised qualification.

Is there an authority or respected group/body/society of personal trainers/fitness instructors in this country? If so what is required to join that group? - you want a qualification that will allow you to be a member of such a group, so try to find out who recognises the qualifications of the different courses out there.

What I'm saying is, some qualifications might not be worth the paper they're printed on. Anyone can run a course and call it 'Certificate in X' but is it recognised?

Hopefully some of those on here with experience can fill you in on this.

REPS is the only body like that in Ireland and theydo recognise this qualification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary jameson

I just finished a personal trainer course in athy. While it was good indepth course which i've learned alot we noticed near the end that it was not a hetac accredited (which was originally advertised) and only recognised by the collage and not worth a shiite to me...... i've since found out the irishtraining.ie is the same sort of con trick offering on line useless courses.......:mad::mad:

does anyone know a REAL quailified accredited personal trainer/ fitness course (ON LINE PREFERABLY)... that i can do a degree after it

I can't afford to waste anymore time or money............cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I just finished a personal trainer course in athy. While it was good indepth course which i've learned alot we noticed near the end that it was not a hetac accredited (which was originally advertised) and only recognised by the collage and not worth a shiite to me...... i've since found out the irishtraining.ie is the same sort of con trick offering on line useless courses.......:mad::mad:

does anyone know a REAL quailified accredited personal trainer/ fitness course (ON LINE PREFERABLY)... that i can do a degree after it

I can't afford to waste anymore time or money............cheers

You can do online courses with ACSM, ACE, NASM and ISSA. I'm sure there are more decent courses like them. I'm sure you can use them plus experience to apply for a degree but none of them are provide instant access to a degree programme that I know of.

• Advertisement

I just booked myself in!!

Proactivity instead of Procrastination...

Very unlike me!

Anyway, woo, can't wait.

(I wouldn't have booked if it weren't for the very helpful info from alot of you guys so, cheers!)

Advertisement