Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBS with French

Options
  • 16-10-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Im really thinking about doing this course next year, just thought I'd ask you guys a few things.
    When I look at courses, similar courses to this seem to be nearly everywhere so whats so good about this one? Im from Waterford so wit is an obvious choice.
    Can you spend time studying/working abroad, maybe on Coop or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Business eh? The best thing is that if you did business subjects for the LC, you will not even have to go to college for the first year and still pass everything!

If your from Waterford then I would recommend not going to WIT. Simply because it is a great experience moving away from home...trust me when you get used to the college thing, the further away you are from home, the better! Plus, I know loads of people from Waterford here in UL.

You will have to do an 8 month coop placement in 3rd year. You get paid for this, this is one of the things that makes business at UL stand out! You can also spend a semester abroad on an erasmus programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Hey

I just graduated from this course. Reasons to come here include:

EPAS Accreditation - World renound showing the quality of the course.
    New Business Building - Only opened last year, facilities there are second to none.
    New Language Learning Building - Again only opened last year so facilities there are second to none as well.
    New Business course (Its constantly updated) - So you are going to learn the most current info which is attractive to employers.
    Opportunity to do Erasmus - DEFINATELY DO THIS!! It is funded by the EU and you French comes back amazing!!
    Co-op :- The Co-Op office will find you a Paid job for 8 months so you can put all the knowledge you have gained over 2 and half years in action!! + They will find you a job abroad in a French speaking country if you wish to do it abroad (I did and had a great time..... I worked in Paris for 8 months). This is paid as well + you get funding from Europe!!!

So theres a few reasons as to why to do it in UL!!!

Any other questions just post them up.

Bonne Chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Delta Kilo- Im only doing Business Studies for the leaving cert. The whole college thing like you said is what I like about UL and im sure after a BULBS or two I'll know loads of people!

DJCR- Great post, Im coming around to the erasmus idea, I used to think it would be too much time away from college but its the best way of learning the french. Are you living on campus? I hesr palsseys great for 1st years but im not sure should I go somewhere nicer like dromroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hi ryanf1. I'm 1st year BBS with French.

There's 5 modules on the course, 4 business related and 1 for French.

To manage the french, you do need a strong command of the language i.e. be comfortable at LC Higher Level French standard. The French lectures are given in French so this is essential.
    Also, you will have to give a presentation on a topic in French, so having experience of public speaking helps a lot.

Microeconomics EC4101 - This is pretty difficult (imo), a lot of graphs that are sometimes hard to follow, a good grounding in maths is needed here. Interesting module though.

Principles of Management MG4031 - A whole load of common knowledge bollixs. Don't like it at all. Also our lecturer acts like a school teacher. :mad:

Priniciples of Accounting AC4001 - This is pretty interesting, we have a fantastic lecturer for this (I can't speak highly enough of him), just don't be late for his lectures. (You'll know what I mean when you're doing the course, trust me!)
    You have to do a case study for this module (a full set of books).

Business Information Management MI4007 - This subject revolves how businesses use information and IT. A pretty interesting module where you learn about the impact of Social Networking Sites and the internet on the business world. The lecturer has a good sense of humour too!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely doing co-op in France, it will work wonders for your French.

AS DJCR said, the course is very up to date and the facilities are superb.

Just remember, this is my very biased opinion, you should get feedback from as many BBS students as you can. There are other users on boards that are doing this course, I'll ask them to give you feedback as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

hi im thinking of the bbs with no language. just wondering do you have to stay in ireland for the work experiance thing?..or do you have the option to go to another english speaking country?

• Advertisement

I think you do have the option to go abroad even if you dont have a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi ryanf1. I'm 1st year BBS with French.

There's 5 modules on the course, 4 business related and 1 for French.

To manage the french, you do need a strong command of the language i.e. be comfortable at LC Higher Level French standard. The French lectures are given in French so this is essential.
    Also, you will have to give a presentation on a topic in French, so having experience of public speaking helps a lot.

Microeconomics EC4101 - This is pretty difficult (imo), a lot of graphs that are sometimes hard to follow, a good grounding in maths is needed here. Interesting module though.

Principles of Management MG4031 - A whole load of common knowledge bollixs. Don't like it at all. Also our lecturer acts like a school teacher. :mad:

Priniciples of Accounting AC4001 - This is pretty interesting, we have a fantastic lecturer for this (I can't speak highly enough of him), just don't be late for his lectures. (You'll know what I mean when you're doing the course, trust me!)
    You have to do a case study for this module (a full set of books).

Business Information Management MI4007 - This subject revolves how businesses use information and IT. A pretty interesting module where you learn about the impact of Social Networking Sites and the internet on the business world. The lecturer has a good sense of humour too!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely doing co-op in France, it will work wonders for your French.

AS DJCR said, the course is very up to date and the facilities are superb.

Just remember, this is my very biased opinion, you should get feedback from as many BBS students as you can. There are other users on boards that are doing this course, I'll ask them to give you feedback as well.
    Ha you forgot communications or are they not doing that this year,

Im a second year business and german student so its basically the same course.

I'm on erasmus at the moment in Austria so erasmus alone is enough a reason to do the course though you can do it even if your only doing business.

1huge1 wrote: »

I'm on erasmus at the moment in Austria so erasmus alone is enough a reason to do the course though you can do it even if your only doing business.

what is erasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Daragh101 wrote: »
    what is erasmus
    Erasmus is when you spend a semester abroad, some courses have them but not all.

No communications this year.

BBS with no language do a communications module instead of a language module.

• Advertisement

What about the hours?
    I presume you do a maths module too?

There is no maths module

Each "business" module is 3 hours: 2 one hour lectures a and one hour tutorial per module. = 12 hours

The French module is 4 hours: 1 one hour lecture and two tutorials: 1 one hour and 1 two hours.

We also have to go to a one hour BIM lab (a joke imo :rolleyes:), you gain marks for attendances to these.

Total: 12 + 4 + 1 = 17 hours

In reality though, each one hour session is actually 40-50 minutes and you will get a lot of breaks between classes for lunch, hanging around etc.

There is no maths module

Each "business" module is 3 hours: 2 one hour lectures a and one hour tutorial per module. = 12 hours

The French module is 4 hours: 1 one hour lecture and two tutorials: 1 one hour and 1 two hours.

We also have to go to a one hour BIM lab (a joke imo :rolleyes:), you gain marks for attendances to these.

Total: 12 + 4 + 1 = 17 hours

In reality though, each one hour session is actually 40-50 minutes and you will get a lot of breaks between classes for lunch, hanging around etc.

tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Daragh101 wrote: »
    tutorial?
    Tutorials are small groups of like 15-20 where you ask your tutors to explain anything you didn't really follow in lectures.

Treetirty wrote: »
    Tutorials are small groups of like 15-20 where you ask your tutors to explain anything you didn't really follow in lectures.

However nobody does that. :p

Tutorials are really mini lectures where topics covered in lectures are revised, but in French other material is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Ha you forgot communications or are they not doing that this year

In order to harmonise the number of credits awarded for the Business and Business + Language courses there were a few modifications made to the language courses. Both courses now do the same number of modules, this meant dropping communications along with 2 other modules I believe from the new business language courses.

Does that make a big diffrence? I thought both were the same/

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does that make a big diffrence? I thought both were the same/

I just went checking there and the difference is: (I could be wrong about all of this so if you really want to be sure contact the course director - John Garvey http://johnfgarvey.com/about/)

Semester 1: Communications vs Language
    Semester 2: Business Mathematics 1 vs Language
    Semester 3: Business Mathematics 2 vs Language
    Semester 4: Entrepreneurship and Innovation & Employment Relations 1 vs Language + Entrepreneurship and Innovation OR Employment Relations 1

After your 4th semester the language replaces the minor option slot

That looks something like the differences Polar Ice.

It really depends on what you want to do ..... honestly Communications is no loss as everything you do in that you do in French.

Business Maths..... I'm doing a Masters now in Business and I still haven't come across it since I did it (Stats is all that comes up)!!!

Although, from a jobs point of view I am 100% sure that the language is the better option !!!!
    (Unless you want to be an accountant or something)!!!

Ha and one of the reasons I went on erasmus was to get away from business maths 2... Guess I would missed it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Ha and one of the reasons I went on erasmus was to get away from business maths 2... Guess I would missed it anyway
    hey just a quick question .. if your studying a language with business then is your only oppurtunity to go abroad in 3rd year for the co-op???

Mallox wrote: »
    hey just a quick question .. if your studying a language with business then is your only oppurtunity to go abroad in 3rd year for the co-op???
    No not at all, you can go whenever.

I'm on erasmus (abroad) now and im only on my 1st semester of 2nd year.
    I intend to go abroad for my co-op (2nd semester of 3rd year) also

cool i mite do that actually .. id love to like :D:D

How are you getting on with the course Mallox?
    1huge1- is that not alot of time away from UL? thats almost 1 full year away.

1huge1- is that not alot of time away from UL? thats almost 1 full year away.
    It doesn't matter at all sure, I'm doing the same course right now that I would be doing at home,
    I'd still be away for co-op anyway I really don't see how its a problem.

It doesn't matter at all sure, I'm doing the same course right now that I would be doing at home,
    I'd still be away for co-op anyway I really don't see how its a problem.

ya it would be a huge huge with your language i would imagine. who exactly do i speak to about going on erasmus may i ask??

quote]
    Im gettin on great .I love the french part. I have an oral presentation to do in 3 weeks which im really scared of doing but ill manage somehow. on The business side then i dont like accounting but everyone is different. I love economics (the lecturer for it is great shes gas) and management and Business information systems are alright.
    Cant wait to go abroad though :D

Ps make sure you like french if you want to do this course. already theres been 3 or 4 people who have dropped the french and are doing just plain business because they didnt even like french

quote]
    Im gettin on great .I love the french part. I have an oral presentation to do in 3 weeks which im really scared of doing but ill manage somehow. on The business side then i dont like accounting but everyone is different. I love economics (the lecturer for it is great shes gas) and management and Business information systems are alright.
    Cant wait to go abroad though :D

Ps make sure you like french if you want to do this course. already theres been 3 or 4 people who have dropped the french and are doing just plain business because they didnt even like french

If you want a hand send me a PM!!!! I miss doing French - but I lived there for a year so I should be able to help!!

DJCR wrote: »

If you want a hand send me a PM!!!! I miss doing French - but I lived there for a year so I should be able to help!!

thanks I mite just take you up on that sometime. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

No not at all, you can go whenever.

I'm on erasmus (abroad) now and im only on my 1st semester of 2nd year.
    I intend to go abroad for my co-op (2nd semester of 3rd year) also

Can you go to the States?
    quote]
    Im gettin on great .I love the french part. I have an oral presentation to do in 3 weeks which im really scared of doing but ill manage somehow.

Youve to do it by yourself?!

Advertisement