Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What controller should I buy?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 3:53pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: As this thread has so much info in it I have changed the title and we can use this to discuss what controllers people are thinking of buying etc.

--

So I need to buy a new controller. I was using an M-Audio Torq Xponent, which I loved and served me very well, but I think its time I moved to Traktor. There is a reason dozens of pros use Traktor and almost none use Torq...

But, what controller do I get? There are loads out there and I want to make sure I evaluate all options and make the best decision on what to get.

So, I really liked the Xponent, the layout etc. The Vestax VCI-100 seems to be the equivalent for Traktor, and www.djtechtools.com do a custom one they support for software etc (not sure if I can get it over here though). Also it needs an extra soundcard which is a pain. However Then there is the Vestax VCI-300 which has an inbuilt soundcard and is higher quality etc - however it comes with Serato Itch, and I am not sure if the Mappings for Traktor Pro are any good.

Apart from that, are there any others I should consider? Or different directions all together?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just for the looks :p

STEALTH-CONTROL_med.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Yeah, I'm migrating to Traktor too...I too would be grateful for any info on controllers!

Where / how did your stuff get nicked Zascar?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_ddm_4000.htm

I know i keep going on about my own mixer but like it really is amazing for controlling traktor

SteveDon wrote: »
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_ddm_4000.htm

I know i keep going on about my own mixer but like it really is amazing for controlling traktor

Cool, it does seem to have all the bells and whistles but it doesn't seem to be very portable...it looks about the same size as the DJM 800, am I right?

If it is as big as at looks, are there any recommendations for a more portable choice?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers Steve yes that was another one to be considered, I remember you saying it before. I'd like to get a demo of how it works, I always thought it was primarily a normal DJ mixer, with a few Midi controls in it. I remember when it first came out I was trying to get Behringer to send me one to do a 'product test' for my website. They actually did send me a DJM700 believe it or not, I actually still have it haha

Behringer used to have a terrible reputation when it comes to quality - but I think some of their stuff, this included,is quite good. Its essentially a DJM800 copy, and for the money its a staggering buy.

Acman, don't you use Serato anyway? Why the move to Traktor? I hear Serato is great but not too sure on the look of 'Itch'. The VCI300 looks excellent but comes with Itch and aparantly is lacking in fx. VCI100SE seems to be a safe ber for now.

Although, I just read about this

Allen & Heath Xone DX. Serious Drool...

Xone_DX.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

£999

I'm going to buy lotto tickets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd almost consider forking out for it, might be worth saving up for. Still though, Serato Itch, hmm, not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

acman wrote: »
    Where / how did your stuff get nicked Zascar?

^ What he said.

Did we miss a thread?

Not really a story I'm shouting around, but left all my gear in the boot of my car in town and it got broken into and all of it nicked. Gutted. Very unlucky but totally my own fault. Serious lesson learned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd almost consider forking out for it, might be worth saving up for. Still though, Serato Itch, hmm, not convinced.

Do it Colly

Allen & Heath vs Berrhinger

No competition

• Advertisement

Acman, don't you use Serato anyway? Why the move to Traktor? I hear Serato is great but not too sure on the look of 'Itch'. The VCI300 looks excellent but comes with Itch and aparantly is lacking in fx. VCI100SE seems to be a safe ber for now.

Yeah, I use Serato and it is fantastic...a rock solid application! Only complaint is that it only plays two tracks at a time and has no effects (which are redundant anyway if you have a decent mixer).

Bottom line is I have no regrets at all with Serato, I'm moving to Traktor simply because it has many more features I need to use. Oh, and no messing around with cables either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Right this might be controversial but here's my 2 cents.

Move to Traktor and get the new Audio 2 dj interface from Native Instruments. It means you'll be able to connect into a mixer and then just mix from there. Then get a cheapo midi controller for the internal effects in traktor.

All the specific dj midi controllers are essentially toys and really just established companies trying to hang on to the side of a sinking ship as everyone goes into the world of laptop djing.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Move to Traktor and get the new Audio 2 dj interface from Native Instruments. It means you'll be able to connect into a mixer and then just mix from there. Then get a cheapo midi controller for the internal effects in traktor.

Either that or get the M-Audio Uno (if you have a DJM 800)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

acman wrote: »
    Either that or get the M-Audio Uno (if you have a DJM 800)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

is there a midi out on the djm 800?

If so then yeah. Actually i have that uno thingamagoo. anyone want it they can pm me because i don't use it.

All the specific dj midi controllers are essentially toys and really just established companies trying to hang on to the side of a sinking ship as everyone goes into the world of laptop djing.

Thanks Jeff. Yes if I get something like the Vestax VCI-100 I was definitely planning on getting the 'NA Audio 2 DJ' - I hear its a great piece of kit and works well. Yes it would be nice to then have my choice of mixers, I'd probably get a UREI 1601 which is a great mixer for the money - plus at gigs etc I could just play in to whatever mixer was there.

However, what I'm not really too keen on is that with this type of setup, you are required to spend more time on the laptop - I liked the way with Torq etc you only really use the laptop for choosing tracks, but this way you have to actually click play - and you do not have jog wheels to move the track around. I'd much prefer a solution that emulates the traditional decks and a mixer setup.

Comments?

However, what I'm not really too keen on is that with this type of setup, you are required to spend more time on the laptop - I liked the way with Torq etc you only really use the laptop for choosing tracks, but this way you have to actually click play - and you do not have jog wheels to move the track around. I'd much prefer a solution that emulates the traditional decks and a mixer setup.

Comments?

With the needle drop function on traktor, along with the sync functions pressing play and finding where you want to start takes about 1 second. Was using serato the other night and actually noticed that you do more looking at the computer screen when cueing up than you do with traktor.

with any decent traktor setup (properly done) you would only be looking at the computer for track selection anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

to jog wheel or not to jog wheel is what it comes down to I reckon

if i was do it I think i'd go for a uc33e and something like a novation nocturn. Crossfader and rubbery buttons on the nocturn, and everything else on the uc33e. you could probably map faders to the waveform which would emulate the jog wheels if you really wanted to

it sure aint a ...
    traditional decks and a mixer setup.

With the needle drop function on traktor, along with the sync functions pressing play and finding where you want to start takes about 1 second. Was using serato the other night and actually noticed that you do more looking at the computer screen when cueing up than you do with traktor.

with any decent traktor setup (properly done) you would only be looking at the computer for track selection anywho.

Pardon my ignorance but wtf is needle drop?

Jeff it's a pity I missed your meetup but if you would be kind enough to give me a run through of your setup mate I'd love to drop by and check it out some time.

Romarr that does look interesting but don't think its the kind of thing I'm looking for, but cheers!

Pardon my ignorance but wtf is needle drop?

Jeff it's a pity I missed your meetup but if you would be kind enough to give me a run through of your setup mate I'd love to drop by and check it out some time.

Romarr that does look interesting but don't think its the kind of thing I'm looking for, but cheers!

needle drop just means being able to jump to any part of the track by clicking at the relevant place in the waveform. the great thing in traktor is that you can jump around the entire track and it will stay in sync with whatever else.

right now, i've one setup for live (which is fairly complicated involving ableton, a load of vst's, the uc33e, etc. - a little like deadmau5's setup without the monome) and another for djing.

My djing setup is simple right now. Just traktor being controlled by a uc33e, and using the internal mixing of traktor. Using the apogee duet as my main output and my macbook pro's headphone output as my cue output.

Not ideal so what I'm going to do is get a NI Audio 2 (whatever it's called) and then connect into two separate channels on whatever mixer the club has (99.99999% of the time it's a djm800) and then use the uc33e to control the fx in traktor (as the fx on a djm 800 or pretty unuseable imo).

Only reason I'm doing this change is I prefer to be centre stage when playing and that's where the club mixer tends to be. Dragging a big midi controller into a booth does not appeal to me, as you end up being all over the place between the club mixer, your laptop, controller etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Not really a story I'm shouting around, but left all my gear in the boot of my car in town and it got broken into and all of it nicked. Gutted. Very unlucky but totally my own fault. Serious lesson learned though.

OT again I know but why was it your fault? Was the gear on view? Was it where you parked?

Back on topic, I think my money would be spent on the Vestax VCI-300 if there's decent Traktor support available. Otherwise the VCI-100 for an out of the box solution. I really don't like the look of the DJTechtools customised ones though. Looks like it's for playing Street Fighter IV, not music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Was using serato the other night and actually noticed that you do more looking at the computer screen when cueing up than you do with traktor.

No offence intended but that's what your headphones are for! ;)
    On top of that, you can select your tracks from the record or CD if you wish

Serato isn't intended to be a "synced" program like Traktor is, something I prefer but different strokes and all that

The VCI-300 is definitely very good but apparently it lacks in the effects (buttons) department. Not really sure if that is such a big deal to me though, I don't use a lot of effects - but possibly cause they are not great in Torq, I hear they are way way better in Traktor. The main problem is that the VCI-300 is not a standard midi controller and you need a 'translator' to get it to talk to other software like Traktor. I tried the Xponent wit Traktor and it was about 90% - but I just did not like it cause it was not 100%. Although djtechtools will apparently be coming out with a map themselves and if they do, I'd be happy.

Their VCI-100SE has a different version with arcade buttons but I would not go for that one, I think the normal one is grand.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/10/06/vci-100-vs-vci-300/#more-790 this is a good review of the 100 vs 300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Thanks Jeff. Yes if I get something like the Vestax VCI-100 I was definitely planning on getting the 'NA Audio 2 DJ' - I hear its a great piece of kit and works well. Yes it would be nice to then have my choice of mixers, I'd probably get a UREI 1601 which is a great mixer for the money - plus at gigs etc I could just play in to whatever mixer was there.

Comments?

You could always get something like an M Audio Trigger Finger to trigger all your button functions like play and sync and for jumping to q points etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laundry

You should defo get this Colly!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Allen-Heath-Xone-3D-Hardly-Used-Boxed-and-Unmarked_W0QQitemZ260486425853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mixers?hash=item3ca6336cfd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1256wt_1165

You can also hook up TTs or even CD decks as well if need be, hand for everything not mention parties etc.... Sound quality unreal as is build quality and it doesn't cost the earth anymore. Works a treat with Traktor as well as it what Richie Hawtin used for ages.

Laundry wrote: »
    You should defo get this Colly!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Allen-Heath-Xone-3D-Hardly-Used-Boxed-and-Unmarked_W0QQitemZ260486425853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mixers?hash=item3ca6336cfd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1256wt_1165

You can also hook up TTs or even CD decks as well if need be, hand for everything not mention parties etc.... Sound quality unreal as is build quality and it doesn't cost the earth anymore. Works a treat with Traktor as well as it what Richie Hawtin used for ages.

that's gonna be whopper expensive by the time bidding really gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

completely agree, those dj specific controllers just look too fisher price for me, what i do is hook up traktor to an external mixer (djm700 in my case) then i have a small micro controller, the faderfox dx2 is the one i use, has everything you need on it for great 2 deck mixing control, plus its really small & compact, i hardly ever touch my laptop for mixing http://www.faderfox.de/html/dx2_product_page.html

i also use an m-audio trigger finger to control the 3rd deck, i could have got another faderfox micro controller and attached it in unison with the dx2 but i didnt have the cash at the time and the trigger finger was only 100 quid.

the faderfox isnt usb so you'll need a soundcard with mini in/out, most decent soundcards will have these. the trigger finger i hook up through usb.

Right so the two I like most at the moment are the Allen & Heath Xone: DX as above, or the Vestax VCI-300.

VESTAX%20VCI300.jpg

Both come with Serato ITCH. Does anyone know what this is like? I'm assuming both can be posted to work with Traktor pro - but not 100% sure if they will work perfectly, as ywt neither seem to be 'traktor ready'.

The Xone: DX is not out yet and no idea when its due for release, plus its going to be about €1,300, whereas I can get a VCI-300 for half that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Id get the vestax to be honest although it can't take advantage of the 4 decks that Serato itch/Traktor offers. If your not going to use 4 decks there is no point splashing out on the a&h.

you'll be able to map all the controls to traktor but the jog wheels will be a nightmare, trust me on this.
    one of the main points of traktor is that you don't need jogwheels to navigate around.

seems nuts to spend that type of money on some sort of all-in-one solution when a good interface and a good controller will cost you about 200 euro altogether. when mixing at home mix internally in traktor with your controller, and then in clubs just use the club mixer.
    Seems like the least amount of hassle.

Most of the big guys (dubfire, joris voorn, and josh wink come to mind) using traktor are still mixing on the club mixer (using one of the NI interfaces) and then having a separate small controller for traktor's internal effects (the faderfox seems to be very popular for this - great little controller, not mass produced so fairly pricey for what it is).
    I know that doesn't intrinsically mean anything but it justs adds weight to the idea that simplest is best (good aul occam's razor). Buying one of those all in one thingamagoos is really just buying a fancy toy that overcomplicates things.

All imo of course.

Believe me, when you see how simple my setup is with traktor you'll see what i'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have to agree here - I have the VCI-100 and I really can't see what lashing out an extra 900 on the A&H is going to give you for that money!
    Simpler is better imo.

I'm prob around this evening if you want to take a look at the VCI-100 SE - you have my number yea?

Advertisement