Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon II - The A&A Thread

Options
  • 02-09-2009 2:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, given that the second referendum is one month from today, this seems like a fitting time to open the floor to A&A to air their views on the matters at hand. :)

The old Lisbon Thread was a feisty affair, and I don't doubt this will be any different.

So who have changed their views since last time? Who's even more determined to thwart the politicos?

Speak your minds, but keep your heads!

How are you going to vote in Lisbon II? 148 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    77%
    mewsoGamblersixpack's little hatPHBBlitzKriegZombrexoscarBravothe_sycopHStarklaykeBeruthielDapperGentWackerwilliambZillahCarpovibe666SeiferGregor Samsa 115 votes
    Not going to vote
    22%
    Xcom2tuxyPompey MagnusdlofnepVordaciRbOtaconAlRocksObninumacdShooterSFGhostInTheRuinsAdamisconfusedDr. Baltargoingpostalrobby^5SVAssaultedPeanutKev_ps3patrickthomas 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

No
    I'm voting yes just to piss off coir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

No
    Still a yes from me.

Coir have made a strong start to the campaign, some rather fetching and eyecatching posters. All lies of course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 starchild27

No
    Didnt vote last time as it was a foregone conclusion. Feeling more hopeful this time. Its a yes vote from me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not going to vote
    Still voting No and am saddened that there is another forum I can't escape Lisbon in now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Which way is Jesus voting, cos I'm I'm going to vote the opposite.

Err, whats the link between athiesm and lisbon. Other than the CC says vote yes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No
    I voted No the first time round.
    However, there were a few issues I was not aware of (I blame the Yes campaigners inability to campaign properly) that I was not aware of which may have persuaded me otherwise.

This time I'm thinking of switching to Yes, because all I am seeing at the moment is blatant lies coming from the No camp (Choir/Youth Defense I'm looking at you). €1.84 minimum wage if we vote Yes? I've never heard sucha crock of BS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No
    Well, I've read the Treaty (has anybody else?) and I'm happy that it's a respectable and decent document. The No-side, in contrast, has descended immediately into a campaign consisting entirely of false-muck-raking and creationist-level shite.

So I'm voting Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

won't be voting... apathy ftw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No
    Err, whats the link between athiesm and lisbon. Other than the CC says vote yes ?
    Atheists are Europeans too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No
    Even if I had no opinion, I'd vote yes because Coir is calling for no.

However, I do. The main reason is that I'm very much pro-EU and the treaty will make the EU more effective.

The influence of the secular and liberal EU is most welcome, from an A&A viewpoint.

More generally speaking, I think the vetoes have to go. It is insane that Malta could veto the wishes of the rest of the union. I can also envisage that a situation where, say, Ireland, Malta and Poland might veto something the rest agreed on because of Catholic influence.

Some people say the vetos are critical to our sovereignty, and they might be right, but I don't think that living in a totally sovereign nation-state is preferable to living in a democratic collective of mostly-sovereign nation-states. We tried that and it got us virtually nowhere.

Long story short, I'll accept good government wherever I can get it, and the EU has proven itself to me to be a better role model than the Irish state (As of today I'm a criminal for owning a small collection of replica Katanas- for example).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    I'll be voting Yes... Haven't read the treaty, but have read enough about it to have an idea of what it's about. Seems completely benign to me, simply structural changes in the EU. Nothing to be concerned about.

Was disgusted by the last campaign/debate, so will be doing my best to avoid it this time (no listening to radio debates, no watching Questions and Answers (hey that's gone actually!)), cast my vote, and hope for the best.
    (As of today I'm a criminal for owning a small collection of replica Katanas- for example).

*calls Gardaí*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

No
    ....Some people say the vetos are critical to our sovereignty, and they might be right, but I don't think that living in a totally sovereign nation-state is preferable to living in a democratic collective of mostly-sovereign nation-states. We tried that and it got us virtually nowhere....

Could you elaborate more on how we might lose sovereignty? Losing sovereignty is a worrying prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No
    Could you elaborate more on how we might lose sovereignty? Losing sovereignty is a worrying prospect.

Some people consider the move from unanimity to QMV in some areas to be loss of sovereignty. It doesn't bother me, I think QMV is more democratic and in the areas where QMV currently applies, unanimity is the norm anyway. Everyone's perspective is still considered and negotiated before any decision is made

Any chance of a poll?

No
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Any chance of a poll?
    Good idea. Just added a simple (public) poll.

Not going to vote
    Even if I had no opinion, I'd vote yes because Coir is calling for no.
    According to a report in this week's issue of The Irish Catholic the Irish Bishops' Conference (IBC) will come out later this month in favour of the Lisbon Treaty.

This comes after the Brussels-based Commission of the Episcopal Conferences of the European Communities (COMECE), the Catholic Church's representative body in the EU, gave a cautious welcome to the Reform Treaty.

Dublin's Archbishop Diarmuid Martin is Vice-President of COMECE

Even if I had no opinion, I'd vote no because the Church is calling for yes.

:p

No

Where's Scofflaw when you need him?

Anyway, I think the possibility of having our votes over-ridden at EU level counts as a loss of some sovereignty, but it isn't being stripped, it is being pooled, and it has been and will only be pooled if we vote to do so.

Under Lisbon, if we decide that we don't like the pooling that we voted for, we can always withdraw from the union.

I'm certain that we will decide it is a good thing, however. QMV works both ways.

No
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Even if I had no opinion, I'd vote no because the Church is calling for yes.

:p

The Church is not Coir. Although the Church is the bigger evil, it is only so because it is bigger. ;)

Not going to vote
    The Church is not Coir. Although the Church is the bigger evil, it is only so because it is bigger. ;)

Not really the place for it but I disagree. Coir are idiotic lunatics. The Church (And by which I mean those in power) are a much more subtle sinister group and are as such infinitely more dangerous, which considering their evil actions in the past makes me fear them more than Coir.
    Anywho.

No
    Where's Scofflaw when you need him?
    Hopefully in The Duke this Friday!
    Besides, I'd say he has his hands full in Politics without dealing with Lisbon splinter threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

No
    I think I'll vote Yes this time around, after a rather ill-informed No last time around. But as much as I realise Lisbon is a step forward I'm still a bit annoyed at the second referendum. I'll just not tell my family, they seem to be set to vote No despite what anyone tells them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

No
    No last time, yes this time. I'd be inclined to believe Michael O'Leary before any of the no campaigners. If he says "Yes", then thats good enough for me.

Muppet Man.

No
    fitz0 wrote: »
    I think I'll vote Yes this time around, after a rather ill-informed No last time around...I'll just not tell my family, they seem to be set to vote No despite what anyone tells them.
    Unlike the census, with a referendum, mammy can't fill in the answers for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No
    Dades wrote: »
    Unlike the census, with a referendum, mammy can't fill in the answers for people!

Democracy 1 - 0 Mammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No
    As Galva said, I'll put my hands up and admit that I voted No last time however as Galva also said, I put that down to the Yes campaign's inability to sell their argument. I have to say that again, I think the Yes campaign is failing to impress. All I am seeing are half assed posters saying "Vote Yes to save the economy!" and "We belong!" On the other hand the No campaign have put up posters that could strike fear into a lot of people such as "Germany's say - 17%, Ireland's say - 0.8%". Now that is most likely scaremongering and taken out of context, but all the same they are effective tactics. Spin and underhanded maybe, but effective all the same.

I plan on reading the actual treaty, but right now I am leaning towards voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

coir is not a valid reason to vote yes, instead of being distracted by coir, aided by the media and yes side scaremongering about them rather then having a true debate, lets see what our vips are talking about

before the first ref after talking with ahern barroso has promised that ireland won't be taken to court over trying to keep the option of choosing the ethos of teachers etc in schools.

will passing lisbon help us get a proper education system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

No
    What does Coir stand to gain from a No Vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No
    I know it's early days yet but it's interesting to see the marked difference in the results of this poll compared to others. 87% yes, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down :D

Except you shooterSF. You go stand in the corner :pac:

Not going to vote
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I know it's early days yet but it's interesting to see the marked difference in the results of this poll compared to others. 87% yes, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down :D

Except you shooterSF. You go stand in the corner :pac:

obviously that's because atheists don't have a moral compass (except me) :D

(My tongue is well planted in my cheek today)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

No
    It's obviously another yes from me. I find it interesting that A&A leans so staggeringly towards Yes side camp. Maybe Atheist & Agnostics have a better bull**** filter then the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No
    Now that's curious.

23-3 at the moment. Compared to the After Hours poll which is quite close but leaning towards no.

I think it is very telling that the Yes campaign is based on facts and good arguments, and that the No campaign is based on lies, exaggeration and fear mongering -- and we see that the majority are being duped by the No campaign and here we are, once again in the reasonable minority.

Advertisement