Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.onlinedvdrentals.ie

Options
  • 30-07-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Has anyone used the above site? Be very very carefull as they take money off u even if u dont get anything for it!!!

I signed up but did nothing as regards getting goods or services and they took 16 euro off my credit card. This is the crap they quoted me fm their terms & conditions which u will need to read two or three times

Upon registering for your free trial, your credit card will be authorized for approximately three months of service. No charges, however, will be made against the card unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period or you do not return DVDs and/or Games before the end of the trial..."

Has anyone got their money back fm ths shower and if so how did u go about it?

thanks everyone

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you rang them?

I used them awhile back for the free trial, i wasnt charged, and i cancelled at the end of the free trial without problems.

Some info relating here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333410

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So, you didn't cancel before the end of the trial period, and they applied the 3 month charge that they told you they would when you signed up? Is that about the size of it? Looks like user error to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jor el wrote: »
    So, you didn't cancel before the end of the trial period, and they applied the 3 month charge that they told you they would when you signed up? Is that about the size of it? Looks like user error to me.

I think the op means while in the free trial he was charged, instead of a authorisation of the €16 from the card, they actually sent for the €16 after the authorisation when they should as he was in a free trial. Op is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I understood his post to mean he signed up but didnt actually bother getting any dvd's then never cancelled it so they took 16 euro.

May be wrong i think OP should clarify if they took the 16 straight away they are wrong if he went over the free trail period without cancelling like he was told to do then he is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Snitcher100

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate the feedback etc. To be honest I did not cancel during the free trial as I thought I read the terms & conditions to be that my card would not be charged. I think these guys are out to make money on confusing people. Reread the statement above and see just how confusing it is and I maintain that it is purposefully that way.

These guys are giving online businesses a bad name by taking money from people for NOTHING. I did call them and they were all nicey nice but would not return have the manager/s return my calls. Also sent them a letter which came back with a bad address (not found at this address). I wonder why that is????

BEWARE of doing business with this crowd. I'm buying over 14 yrs online (goods, services etc) and it's sad that it had to be an Irish company to rip me off this way. I highly recommend anyone to be careful dealing with them.

• Advertisement

Why do you keep posting in black, it's impossible to read on a black background?

Anyway, the T&C is not confusing, it says no charges will be made if you cancel before the end of the trial period. How is that confusing? You didn't bother to read it properly, and didn't cancel when you should have, so you were charged accordingly.

They've done nothing wrong, nothing underhanded, and have not ripped you off. You signed up for a service and they charged you for it. Not their fault you didn't use it, or that you didn't read what it was you signed up for. It's written down in plain English.

Listen, I know that u & Davy are part of this SCAM and u monitor posts, so don't bother replying back. Plain english??? sure whatever. Can someone else post their bad expierences here and let me know how they have been ripped off by these shower. Anyone who takes money in this way, to my mind, are CROOKS!!

I really really want to let people know to avoid doing business with this "company" as they are a SCAM who rip u off!!

In addition when u say...

"Anyway, the T&C is not confusing, it says no charges will be made if you cancel before the end of the trial period. How is that confusing?"

Anyone with half a brain would say that...

"No charges, however, will be made against the card unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period or you do not return DVDs and/or Games before the end of the trial."
    is anything but confusing.
    This would be better, so use it in ur T's & C's so as not to SCAM others.
    No charges will be made against your card as long as you cancel during the free trial period or you do not return DVD's and/or Games before the end of the trial.

I think you need to grow up, and don't accuse me of being part of a scam, and whatever monitored posts is meant to mean. You making yourself look foolish, you acknowledge that you didn't cancel the service and you were charged,,,thats a shocking scam!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

snitcher100 responding in 2 threads will get you nowhere esecially when one of them is old.

I responded in this one for you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519433 and I agree with Davy in fairness you are in the wrong regardless of how bad this site may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I have read all the threads here about www.onlinedvdrentals.ie.

I don't know anything about the company good bad or indifferent.

But the one thing I would say after reading the 4 threads is that it is 100% positive that Davy works for them.

Since your so 100% certain i guess nothing i say will change it. If i was i would have said so when i first posted about the site. I haven't spent time on boards to secretly plug some crappy site.

thanks, BnA, good 2 know SOMEONE is clean on this board, Davy is just checking to refute any perceived negative stuff, so that he can kill it quickly with spin. Outlaws, I understand what ur sayin BUT my point is that in the T&C's they have is 100% meant to be CONFUSING, to make easy money AND that to me is a SCAM. Please have a read again at what is written and tell me from ur heart that what they are doing is honest? I think not. I'm new to posting and understand about the two threads now, I'll stick with this one from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

thanks, BnA, good 2 know SOMEONE is clean on this board, Davy is just checking to refute any perceived negative stuff, so that he can kill it quickly with spin. Outlaws, I understand what ur sayin BUT my point is that in the T&C's they have is 100% meant to be CONFUSING, to make easy money AND that to me is a SCAM. Please have a read again at what is written and tell me from ur heart that what they are doing is honest? I think not. I'm new to posting and understand about the two threads now, I'll stick with this one from now on.

To be honest I read the T&C a few times to be sure and altough the grammar isnt the may west it still reads as "Don't cancel, we will charge" no matter what way you read it to be honest.

"No charges, however, will be made against the card unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period"

Some very bad grammar really but highlighting the main words kind of makes it obvious. Who knows why he threw DO NOT in there as he really didn't need to but I guess in his own head it made sense but saying that it still reads the same whether he did or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Snitcher100 - word of warning here. You are making accusations here without offering proof and as a consequence, doing your case no favours.

Please refrain from assumptions about other posters.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It makes perfect sense to me.
    No charges will be made against your card unless you don't cancel
    = If you don't cancel, charges will be made against your card

It's pretty straightforward, same kind of phrasing that I've seen on a lot of free trial offers.

Listen, I know that u & Davy are part of this SCAM and u monitor posts, so don't bother replying back.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and this says more about you than I, or anyone else, ever could. I'll reply to refute your accusations, and also to help others understand that there is no scam here, there is nothing more than your inability to comprehend a simple statement.
    Anyone who takes money in this way, to my mind, are CROOKS!!

I really really want to let people know to avoid doing business with this "company" as they are a SCAM who rip u off!!

You've not shown any proof that Onlinedvdrentals are crooks.
    In addition when u say...

"Anyway, the T&C is not confusing, it says no charges will be made if you cancel before the end of the trial period. How is that confusing?"

Anyone with half a brain would say that...

"No charges, however, will be made against the card unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period or you do not return DVDs and/or Games before the end of the trial."
    is anything but confusing.

How on earth can you possibly still not understand simple English? I'll break down that statement for you, so you can see how simple it is:

No charges
    will be made against your card
    unless
    you do not cancel
    prior to the end of your free trial period
    or
    you do not return DVDs before the end of the trial.

There. Understand now, or should I use illustrations?
    This would be better, so use it in ur T's & C's so as not to SCAM others.

They're not my T&Cs, I was just quoting them from the website.
    No charges will be made against your card as long as you cancel during the free trial period or you do not return DVD's and/or Games before the end of the trial.

You might want to read that again. What you're saying here is that no charges will be applied as long as you do not return DVDs and games before the end of the trial. You clearly haven't a clue.
    BnA wrote: »
    But the one thing I would say after reading the 4 threads is that it is 100% positive that Davy works for them.

I would say you're 100% wrong.
    Outlaws, I understand what ur sayin BUT my point is that in the T&C's they have is 100% meant to be CONFUSING, to make easy money AND that to me is a SCAM.

As opposed to your plainly wrong, and completely convoluted version?
    MOH wrote: »
    It's pretty straightforward, same kind of phrasing that I've seen on a lot of free trial offers.

Careful now, MOH, you're exposing your role in the conspiracy there. It's OK though, sure I'll see you for coffee Onlinedvdrentals canteen in a few minutes. Davy's probably already down there, the slacker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

jor el wrote: »
    I would say you're 100% wrong. .. (RE Davey working for them).

Fair enough. I take that back. But I still think that both him and you have more of an interest in this than just being regular punters. But, maybe you haven't, I really don't give a sneeet. I have taken out my origional comment. (Or I would if I could)

Fair enough. I take that back. But I still think that both him and you have more of an interest in this than just being regular punters. But, maybe you haven't, I really don't give a sneeet. I have taken out my origional comment.

If you had checked my previous posts on boards you will find i have posted about moviestar, and screenclick dvd rental company's in bargain alerts, both of which are direct competition for this company, so if i was connected to onlinedvdrentals.ie in some way why would i be doing that.

I dont really want to say anymore about it, just in future get some facts before you start making accusations like that.

But I still think that both him and you have more of an interest in this than just being regular punters.

What have I said on this thread that would give any indication of bias towards onlinedvdrentals, other than correcting the misinformation being spread by the OP? I have never used any online DVD rental site, as I don't believe they're very good value (you have to use them all the time to get value for money), but if I see miss-truths and false information about any company or service, I'll try and correct it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK folks - I think everyone has said their part now and hopefully the situation and affiliations (or lack thereof) has been clarified.

Let's move on.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 harveykane

I don't think they are a scam, but their customer service is certainly lacking big time.

Need proof?
    Here's a screenshot of the support ticket which they created for me. The original complaint was in May - Mark Beggs (the manager) has agreed verbally and also by email to refund my money, but it just hasn't happened.
    http://www.ragepank.com/online-dvd-rentals.png
    Notice they never responded to the support ticket.

This was on top of countless emails and phone calls. Last time I spoke with Mark on his cellphone, he sounded genuinely concerned about the poor service, was very apologetic, and promised to process the refund within a couple of days. This never happened.

The last emails I have from them were the staff asking for my bank account details etc so they could process the refund on Aug 4th when Martk got back from holiday. I haven't heard back since then.

I'm off to fill out a credit card chargeback form now (which is a big hassle as this just takes more time).

For everyone else, avoid this company. They are either crooks, or they just don't care. They have had plenty of opportunity to make things right after a relatively minor mistake on their part, but it hasn't happened.

Edit: As a result of emailing ODR a link to this post and leaving another phone message, the refund has now been processed. It's well overdue, but I'm glad it's finally sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Listen, I know that u & Davy are part of this SCAM and u monitor posts, so don't bother replying back.

Crazy-WTF-type-thread, guys. Thanks for the few minutes of amusement! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Has anyone got a review of this site? This thread seems just to talk of the company's terms and conditions wording, which I think is perfectly fine. Has anyone used them either just for the free trial, or for longer? How did you find the service?

Thanks

christo82 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a review of this site? This thread seems just to talk of the company's terms and conditions wording, which I think is perfectly fine. Has anyone used them either just for the free trial, or for longer? How did you find the service?

Thanks

Why didnt you start a new thread ;)

My experience was ok i only used the free trial with them. Similar service to moviestar or screenclick. None of them worth it unless they have a promotion on, and you watch a lot of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Davy wrote: »
    Why didnt you start a new thread ;)

My experience was ok i only used the free trial with them. Similar service to moviestar or screenclick. None of them worth it unless they have a promotion on, and you watch a lot of movies.

ok, thanks davy. i finished screenclicks free trial a recently and that went well. hope this does too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sir Arsalot

<snip> I signed up for a "free" two week trial, and stupidly gave them my card details. The dvds came out in ordinary, hand-written envelopes with a second handwritten SAE enclosed to return them in. All the dvds sent were very greasy and smutty-looking, and one of the films wasn't even on my list.

Before the end of the trial I requested on the website and by email to cancel my membership but they ignored that and went ahead and took 17 quid out of my account. ( it wasn't even the right amount, as the "free" trial for 1 dvd at a time was less than that. ) When I noticed they'd taken funds I rang them. A complete idiot by the name of <snip> is who I was dealing with, and you could just tell by the sound of this guy's VOICE he was a cowboy.

He pretended I hadn't cancelled my account, and then when I wouldn't let him off the hook he suggested I speak to another person, <snip> suspiciously enough. Would only offer me his e-mail and not his phone number.

I did send a polite explanatory e-mail ( although I DO think it was to the same person ) and I even stated, as I had on the phone, that I'd accept a couple of extra dvd rentals for the amount that had been charged, if that would be more convenient than a refund.
    Eventually got the guy on the phone again to request either a refund or some dvds, but he just tried to lecture me and weasel his way out of it. You know the type - the kind of person whose only joy in life is when he thinks he has got one over on somebody. Complete idiot, in other words.

Sent another follow-up e-mail but it was ignored.

The fact that neither a refund nor further dvds were sent basically amounts to petty theft, and the only reason I didn't pursue the matter further was because for the amount that he stole - it wouldn't have been worth it.

I'm a member of Pigsback and when I noticed that this <snip> was being featured on there, I sent in a complaint about them. Got an inane reply at the time saying they hadn't had a problem with them but I've now noticed they've been removed from Pigsback - must've been more complaints from members.
    AVOID. Can't stress that enough.

Edit:
    Just read another post above from someone who did eventually succeed in getting a refund. However, even if after all this time I was given back the 17 Euro he took, I wouldn't retract what I've said about the guy's character and would still recommend that people avoid "onlinedvdrentals" like the plague.

Why not do a chargeback on your credit card and get the money back that way

Just to clarify, as parts of my post above were editted out - that I strongly suspect this is just 1 guy <snip>, and that the "manager" whose e-mail he gave me was he himself. This supposed other person had the same first name, and it was all a bit sus.
    I may try to get the funds back but it was a long time ago. Just beware, people.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what is so offensive about the word I used but let's substitute something else and try to get that point across again :-
    I strongly suspect from my experiences that the dvd rental company in question is just 1 guy running a dodgy little operation.
    Conspiracy theories aside, the reports of other posters who have had bad experiences with this person really ring true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement