Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Accommodation Thread (all accommodation available & Q's in here)

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

To make the DKIT boards a bit more useful to students I have decided to sticky this thread to allow people post there questions about available accommodation in the town.

Information about student accommodation can be received from the accommodation service who's number is available on the dkit website here - https://www.dkit.ie/students-union/student-accommodation

I will also allow people who have houses or apartments available to rent specifically for students in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GrrrlRiot

I have two double rooms and a single room available to rent immediately in the town centre. Please contact me for details :) Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pumpkin91

Hi,

I'm moving to Dundalk to start a degree course next September, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I should live? I will be in first year, and have never been there before, so am totally lost. I'm looking for something around 300- 400 a month... any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

I guess it depends what you're looking for. I moved here myself last September and started out in an estate called Glenwood. It's grand, nice and quiet and close to the college.

I found though that I wanted to live in a livelier spot so moved to Rockfield Manor halfway through the year and have been there since.

There's also College Heights and College Manor which are practically next door to the college too and may be where I end up next year.

If you're on your own then the college apartments may be an idea too.

All of the estates should be available for 300 quid a month or lower so you'll be fine in that respect. I think the college apartments were 80 quid a week last year so they'll probably be the same.

There'll be an accomodation list on the SU website (dkitsu.ie) on or around the 27th of July I think so make sure and get something early. Any Q's just post again and good luck in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

College Heights and Rockfield are grand and next to the college.

Look on daft.ie for available stuff too, some very cheap rooms on it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Yeah, I just suggest Daft.ie and don't forget to search for sharing houses aswell and not just houses for rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pumpkin91

Hey, thanks for all your quick replies, lots to look at there- I have looked at daft.ie, there's loads of choice...

I suppose I just want to get people's opinions/experiences first!

Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

don't mean to sound pessimistic folks but its always a good idea to get accom. sorted before the cao offers come out!!

whoop whoop college manor here i come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CDJM

college heights is mental at times......hope ur up for a party lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

CDJM wrote: »
    college heights is mental at times......hope ur up for a party lol

its serious fun though if your only in 1st year, I spent some of the best times of my life there during my 2 years of staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

draffodx wrote: »
    its serious fun though if your only in 1st year, I spent some of the best times of my life there during my 2 years of staying there.

I'll be there next year. Should be a laugh..... and a half. Or maybe even two laughs....... Depends on how I'm feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Myself and a friend have paid our deposit on a house in College Heights.

For those of you that don't know the area it's about 5 minutes away from the college and is very close to a local Mace shop and is a ten minute walk from Dunnes Stores, KFC, PC World etc in the retail park.
    Also very close to the bus stop that leads into the town.

We went to view the house last week and it's a really nice house. It's only 4 years old and is in immaculate condition.

The house comprises of 3 bedrooms. 2 single and a twin room. We have already taken the single rooms and we are now looking for two people to share in the twin room.

The house also contains a fully fitted alarm, two bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs, both of which contain showers, a fully furnished sitting room and a large open kitchen with all utensils etc supplied.

The landlord asked if I could find someone so here I am posting on boards.

If you think you'd be interested please PM me and I'll pass on the landlord's details to you so you can arrange a viewing of the house.

for anyone looking for the 2009 accomadation list here it is:

Quick Reference Guide

Full Detailed Excel Spreadsheet

and the SU information pages is here

Also heres the house shares currently available on daft.ie - daft.ie dundalk house shares

Me rented house is missing a side gate, should I kick up???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pinkladee

Hi, I have rooms to rent in Dundalk, €80 per week, pm me for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubbles123

hey im starting a music course in dkit in september and was wondering does anyone know any good accomodation near the music building which is a long enough way from the actual dkit college,im totally clueless.Any1 else stating music??

bubbles123 wrote: »
    hey im starting a music course in dkit in september and was wondering does anyone know any good accomodation near the music building which is a long enough way from the actual dkit college,im totally clueless.Any1 else stating music??

do you know the name of the street where the music building is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Anyone staying/stay in Mourne View Hall ever? Thoughts on what its like? Im able to get a spot in it. Is the broadband wireless? Does there be good craic in Mourne View Hall ? How far away is it from DKIT? I cant find an answer.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Anyone staying/stay in Mourne View Hall ever? Thoughts on what its like? Im able to get a spot in it. Is the broadband wireless? Does there be good craic in Mourne View Hall ? How far away is it from DKIT? I cant find an answer.

Wats up I was there for two years. Theres not much crack cause a lot of foreigners stay there. The broadband isn't wireless but you could prob buy a wireless router with whoever your living with. its a good 15 / 20 min walk i'd say but depends how fast you walk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Is it near dundalk town centre or what is it near? Whats the digital tv like? Does it have the sky sport channels and bbc and them?
    Does every bedroom have a ethernet port for internet and is the broadband fast?

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Is it near dundalk town centre or what is it near? Whats the digital tv like? Does it have the sky sport channels and bbc and them?
    Does every bedroom have a ethernet port for internet and is the broadband fast?

when your driving into dundalk town from the college you pass the londis and malthouse on your right and its the next left beside the old jet garage.
    the tv is grand its the 27euro a month package in each apartment(included in your rent)
    It doesnt have sky sports but has sky sports news.
    Yup every bedroom has the ports to connect a wire however the sitting room doesnt so you'll have to buy a long wire for it to reach.
    Eh its fast enough but if theres a lot of people using it in the apartment block it will slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oranage

Does anybody know what priorland Grove and Glenwood are like. I'm looking for something kind of lively, i know the best places to look is college manor/heights and rockfield.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

hi i am just wondering does any one know of any singles rooms left up in dundalk
    thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

Hey
    I've a single room at the entrance to college manor.
    55e a week.

asap pls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

anybody on here apply for the oul student assistance fund? anybody know when they tell us if we are getting it or not?would be handy in the run up to xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Hey, I have a spare room in college heights available. Its in one of the apartments. 65 euro a week for the room. Its a large Single room.

Pm me if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Trodai

Hi guys, im moving up in january 4th for three months, and still searching for accomodation. Would like to share with fun people and have a laugh while im living there, looking at rent from 50-70 or maybe a lil higher if i have to. Anyways if anyone is looking for another house/flat mate could you let me know, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Hey all, ill possibly be going to DKIT next Sept, prob a bit early but have been trying to get an idea of the accom situation. I was thinking Dundalk student village, would be the easiest option. HAd a quick look on daft etc.

Im from Dub so would prob be up and down at weekends etc, and dont imagine id have much intrest in living in Dundalk over the summer. What do you guys do if your renting a normal house, do they give you a lease up till May or do you just keep on renting it through the summer?

Thanks

Hi Doop,

When renting a normal house if its advertised for students then they will let you rent from September to the end of May.

I stayed in the same house in College Heights for two years without renting through the summer.

I think renting in the nearby estates works out cheaper than the student village and tends to be more craic.

However I'm a year out of DKIT so my opinions may be outdated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

draffodx wrote: »
    Hi Doop,

When renting a normal house if its advertised for students then they will let you rent from September to the end of May.

I stayed in the same house in College Heights for two years without renting through the summer.

I think renting in the nearby estates works out cheaper than the student village and tends to be more craic.

However I'm a year out of DKIT so my opinions may be outdated :D

Thanks for that, I thought that may be the case alright. I'll be going back as a mature student (26) (if i get a givin a place) so would kind of perfer the idea of living in a house with people of different ages. I kinda imagine the student village (and I could be wrong) as loads of 18 year olds running around!. .. not that theres anything wrong with that but might feel a bit out of it being a bit older :( !

• Advertisement

actually I'd have it the other way around, college heights and rockfield can be a bit mental some nights and are crazy during rag week and I cant imagine the student village being as crazy.

Advertisement