Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards AC Bi-weekly speed sessions

Options
  • 21-04-2009 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Ok now that I have a bit of race experience, I'm now asking myself two questions How can I run faster and how good can I be. After getting some great advice from both racing flat and stupid private I'm now going to focus on the shorter distances and in paticular speed sessions. I hope to do this with the aid of Alberto Salazar and Pete Pfitzinger (recently bought their books).
    Now the other stuff, I have completed a level 1 athletics Ireland coaching course and to meet the criteria for my level 2 I need to get some coaching experience.
    Now the objective of this thread is to follow a 12 week schedule starting on the 27th of April and that will see me peak for the adidas 5 mile and set a pb. I would like to invite other runners to join me in doing our bi weekly speed sessions either physically or virtually and logging how we got on here. The sessions will be set in advance, distance, pace, recovery and all that. This thread will cater for all levels and all sessions will be tailored made to suit ones ability.
    The first session will be vo2 max based and the other will be lactate threshold based.

The Vo2 sessions will involve the likes of
    6x800 @5k pace
    5x600 @5k pace
    5x3min hills
    5x1200 @goal pace
    etc

The Lactate threshold sessions will include
    2x2mile
    4 mile tempo
    2.5 mile time trials

Now I'm hoping the likes of Figs, christeb, stmochtas, shels4ever (when Belfast is over), rainbow kirby, mariec and everyone else will see this thread as a motivator to get the speed sessions in and contribute. So if your interested let me know. Amadeus will also be advising on this thread and all the other more knowledgable coaches/runners are welcome to have an input.
    So the main goal is to get 12 weeks of solid speed based training in, to have us race fit for the summer and hopefully setting pbs.

Also would love to hear what sessions other club guys are doing such as Sungod in Waterford and Showry in West Waterford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Ok now that I have a bit of race experience, I'm now asking myself two questions How can I run faster and how good can I be. After getting some great advice from both racing flat and stupid private I'm now going to focus on the shorter distances and in paticular speed sessions. I hope to do this with the aid of Alberto Salazar and Pete Pfitzinger (recently bought their books).
    Now the other stuff, I have completed a level 1 athletics Ireland coaching course and to meet the criteria for my level 2 I need to get some coaching experience.
    Now the objective of this thread is to follow a 12 week schedule starting on the 27th of April and that will see me peak for the adidas 5 mile and set a pb. I would like to invite other runners to join me in doing our bi weekly speed sessions either physically or virtually and logging how we got on here. The sessions will be set in advance, distance, pace, recovery and all that. This thread will cater for all levels and all sessions will be tailored made to suit ones ability.
    The first session will be vo2 max based and the other will be lactate threshold based.

The Vo2 sessions will involve the likes of
    6x800 @5k pace
    5x600 @5k pace
    5x3min hills
    5x1200 @goal pace
    etc

The Lactate threshold sessions will include
    2x2mile
    4 mile tempo
    2.5 mile time trials

Now I'm hoping the likes of Figs, christeb, stmochtas, shels4ever (when Belfast is over), rainbow kirby, mariec and everyone else will see this thread as a motivator to get the speed sessions in and contribute. So if your interested let me know. Amadeus will also be advising on this thread and all the other more knowledgable coaches/runners are welcome to have an input.
    So the main goal is to get 12 weeks of solid speed based training in, to have us race fit for the summer and hopefully setting pbs.

Also would love to hear what sessions other club guys are doing such as Sungod in Waterford and Showry in West Waterford.

Good idea there, i've almost finished my training plan already for the summer once this marathon is out of the way.
    I'll prob be looking at mixing up some sessions ie sets of 400's , mixed session of 400 and 600's .
    Will prob target a 33 5 mile ofr late summer and if I do get close to that i'd be over the moon. Will post my plan once i'm happy with it and i've decided on what races to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I would like to invite other runners to join me in doing our bi weekly speed sessions either physically.

Where are you doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good idea Woddle,
    I've been lax with my speed sessions since Chrimbo and I'm paying the price for it now.
    I generally do them on my own at the track in Waterford city so it'd be nice to have a bit of motivation.
    I use http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/paces.php to get sessions and target paces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

911sc wrote: »
    Where are you doing that?

Most weekday mornings I'm free from 9am till 11am so I could be quite flexible with meeting people. I have found a great 500 meter ish flat,circular, tarmac route in Marley park, so feel free to contact me and make arrangements and that goes for everyone, the more the merrier for speed sessions. Like showry I normally did them on my own but I would welcome the company and am sure it will improve my session, pushing each other harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Most weekday mornings I'm free from 9am till 11am so I could be quite flexible with meeting people. I have found a great 500 meter ish flat,circular, tarmac route in Marley park,

Woodle, where abouts in Marley is that route? Won't be able to join you but might use it myself on other times. - Tks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This interests me greatly - I've a scheduled speed session in my half-marathon training program which I'm crap at motivating myself to do, so it'd be nice to get this in. I'd have more free time for it after 7 May, I'm handing in my final year project then.

5k pace for me is about 8.30/mile, so it'd be an easy run for most people here!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Named and shamed... Speed sessions are something I've just never done.

And I have no excuse. I live less than 200m from a track. I think this is a kick in the ass I needed. Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great idea Woddle as i am not in my best of shape at moment i wanna get back training and would be interested in getting in on these sessions atleast at first and see where we go from there

geld wrote: »
    Woodle, where abouts in Marley is that route? Won't be able to join you but might use it myself on other times. - Tks

Come in the way of the main car park and walk over to the main house (car park directly behind you), then just left of the house (car park still directly behind you) and run on the tarmac (course started) run towards the little tea/ice cream shop and follow the tarmac path around anti clockwise and over to the duck pond and then heading back towards the main house. Elevation changes of around 7ft over the course. distance wise I'll measure it more accuratelynext time but a great route and sheltered aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

figs wrote: »
    Speed sessions are something I've just never done.

Same here, but I'm intrigued to give it a go and see what I really should be doing other than my usual method of following the "just go and run" type training plan.

• Advertisement

This is great interest so far, I would also be up for the odd evening at a track. And feel free to make arrangements with other users that live close to you but remember you can still take part even if you prefer doing them on your own. As this thread is where all the info and feedback will take place.
    If this thread proves popular (and its looking that way) we might have it as a sticky in the training logs.
    I should probably add that I plan to do weekly updates on the Boards AC blogspot and anyone who hasn't seen the singlet or who are questioning my manly legs :D have a look here http://boardsac.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

This is great interest so far, I would also be up for the odd evening at a track. And feel free to make arrangements with other users that live close to you but remember you can still take part even if you prefer doing them on your own. As this thread is where all the info and feedback will take place.
    If this thread proves popular (and its looking that way) we might have it as a sticky in the training logs.
    I should probably add that I plan to do weekly updates on the Boards AC blogspot and anyone who hasn't seen the singlet or who are questioning my manly legs :D have a look here http://boardsac.blogspot.com/

Great idea Woddle - and given that most involved in the thread have expressed interest in Copper test - why not meet and complete that as your first session ;)

lecheile wrote: »
    Great idea Woddle - and given that most involved in the thread have expressed interest in Copper test - why not meet and complete that as your first session ;)

Yep sounds like a plan, I plan on doing mine Sunday/Monday (I promise) as part of a 2.5 mile time trial just to see where I am and where I want to go, now this option might not suit everyone so between all of us we can come up with our first session for next week and alternatives if needed. So for those who have not completed the cooper test why not join me and get out on Sunday/Monday for a time trial and just clock your distance after 12 mins but continue till you reach the 2.5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I'll give it a go (I think). I've never felt comfortable pushing the speed too much except in a race situation so up to now the closest to a structured session I've done has been to irregularly set off faster than usual on one of my regular routes. 5 runs a week so far this year has clearly been beneficial but now that my marathon's out of the way I'm going to try for a better balance with my swimming/biking. My 5k and 10k times from late last year are looking soft at 22:28 and 45:15 so I'm confident I could beat them now but I'd like to see what I could do if I manage the time I have for running.

Just to be clear, does bi-weekly mean twice a week or once every two weeks?

jlang wrote: »
    I'll give it a go (I think). I've never felt comfortable pushing the speed too much except in a race situation so up to now the closest to a structured session I've done has been to irregularly set off faster than usual on one of my regular routes. 5 runs a week so far this year has clearly been beneficial but now that my marathon's out of the way I'm going to try for a better balance with my swimming/biking. My 5k and 10k times from late last year are looking soft at 22:28 and 45:15 so I'm confident I could beat them now but I'd like to see what I could do if I manage the time I have for running.

Just to be clear, does bi-weekly mean twice a week or once every two weeks?

Roughly 2 a week but it will depend on your level of course so for you I expect 2 a week :D but Pfitzinger does drop the LT workouts every second week. So for example
    Week 1 - Vo2 max
    week 2 - Vo2 max and LT
    week 3 - Vo2 max
    but on the dropped weeks he does have you add in a few stides on an easy run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Great idea and brilliant that it's getting good support. I don't think I'll make the 5 miler but I'm going to run teh Clare 10k and will be doing these sessions as part of that training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's what I'll be taking my group through in a lead up to 3k - 10k races in August. I might try and join one of your sessions in Marley also.
    Anyone on here is welcome to join if Marley does not suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Cool, I'll watch this thread for tips. Need to get into speed stuff myself... so reporting myself to the track for 6.30am tomorrow morning for 5-6 1k reps, 2 mins walk/jog rest :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

yeah it's not something I've done formally, closest thing to it would be sprints with the football team. Only a few weeks to go til the season is over, so will be adding them in then. TBH anything southside doesn't suit me unfortunately...
    So Phoenix Park or St. Anne's in Raheny would be great if anyone was near there, others I may just latch onto the Shamrocks who do speed work on Wed / Sat...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 new2triathlon

Hi I would be very interested in doing speed work either on Monday or Tuesday AM in Marley park. I'm sending you a PM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I was actually thinking about this idea again last night. On the issue with locations maybe we can move some sessions around.
    I was thinking of something like

1. North Dublin(Malahide castle maybe)
    2. South (Marley)
    3. Pheonix park

If we can get number maybe we can have a session in each of the above, Pheonix for long runs then session in the other two. It will depend on numbers and groups.

If we have enough people in around the same ability. I'd like to get a training group going with one eye on the Dublin Novice in October ;) .

Yep I would be somewhat flexible in moving location occasionally but I think the first thing is to set a session out and then do it, if that means doing it on your own or making arrangements great but for some of us we have our routine and travelling might not suit. So I want this thread to be about supporting the speed sessions.
    We seem to have a few floating around the Marlay area which is great, if we have a another group close to phoenix park, theres nothing stopping us from having multi groups, I measured the lap in marlay today and its 894 meters, with obvious markers around, I brought my camera aswell, so will throw up a picture shortly.
    The interest is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Count me in. Will have to be virtually. Long sessions in the Phoenix Park would suit me.

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i would love to get involved with this but to be honest it'll probably be virtual and half arsed, i'll give it a crack though.

im based in blackrock so i could make it up to marley park or even pheonix park for the odd session but not regurarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great idea Woddle. I wont get too excited until I get my foot back in action. But once I am back any sessions I can make I would.

3465449646_45e873585c_b.jpg

894 meter loop, the main marlay house is just to the right, there are lots of obvious markers, so the loop can easily be marked for 100m - 800m

3465459528_1fdc1fbfc1_b.jpg

House is to the right and car park to the left, this picture is to highlight what pat you start on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Good idea for a thread Woddle. With all the talk of marathon training the faster stuff tends to get overlooked:D

I alternate between three faster and two faster sessions a week so it usually goes:

Week A: Reps (i.e. shorter intervals), intervals, tempo (in the form of 1000m cruise intervals at tempo pace)

Week B: Reps, tempo (standard 20 or 40 minute tempo run. I also include a few quick reps at the end of the tempo run).

Started this about 6 weeks ago and its going well so far. I describe all my workouts in my log so if anybody is interested they can check there. I would'nt mind a bit of company on my sessions and Id be willing to travel to Irishtown stadium or Tallaght stadium for a bit of track work or Marlay/Phoenix for longer runs (I prefer to do my reps/intervals on a track:o).

I do most of my fast workouts on the gravel track in Sundrive park. Schedule is a bit hectic over the next 6 weeks so Im fitting runs in when I can but Ill have a lot more time during the summer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I'll plan to go to the Phoenix Park and I can try to coordinate with others to meet there but depending on when I do it the straight flat road behind where I live is more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 runforrest

hi woddle would love to join thread trying to get a bit of pace back up after slow slog of ultra in connemarathon.Do i do a 2.5 mile time trial as a baseline and do two weekly sessions?:)

• Advertisement

runforrest wrote: »
    hi woddle would love to join thread trying to get a bit of pace back up after slow slog of ultra in connemarathon.Do i do a 2.5 mile time trial as a baseline and do two weekly sessions?:)

Hi runforestrun, I'll post the sessions for next week up on Friday and there will be an option given and one of these options will be a 2.5 mile time trial and it really is just to find out where your at (those who have already completed the cooper test do not need to do this,those who havn't can incorporate the cooper test into the 2.5 mile time trial).
    On the Pfitzinger schedule after 6 weeks of speed training he has a 2.5 mile time trial so I think doing one at the start will add to confidence levels when you see the improvement but there will be alternatives to the time trial. I've started Alberto Salazars book and its a great read and although similar to Pfitzinger he does offer alternative sessions. Can't wait for the fun to begin.

Advertisement