Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maintenance of an audi 4.2l v8 S6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure.

If the OP can find out more info that satisfies then grand, but if you have any nagging doubts - don't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's like saying a car has too high mileage, it's all about averages;)

I would disagree with that statement. High mileage is a sign that the car is mechanically capable and if well looked after should be able to keep going, high number of owners would always set off alarm bells with me.

Why would 6 people have decided to buy and sell this car over the last 8 years? It's a dream car for a lot of people.

I remember talking my brother out of buying a Z3 98(or 99) D 007, silly reg aside it had 7 previous owners this was about 3 years ago there was something seriously dodgy about it, we couldn't tell from looking at it, it all seemed fine, but for some reason 7 people had previously shifted it on, there is usually a reason for it, and those sort of reasons aren't in the sellers interest to mention to the potential buyer.

It's a buyers market out ther big time, if you have any doubts at all walk away. That sort of car will be very hard to shift on if it's a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I'm a bit worried now alright that it seems the guy hasn't been perfectly straight with me.I'm gonna talk to him later as I'm in work now til 1. Honeslty those reports could be a little more detailed or clearer considering it's possible to move reg from one car to another. Also on the owners it is 9 years old after all and 3 of them could have been dealers. I'll find out what i can not the end of the worl if it doesn't work out i haven't booked flights or anything.

Right so i've been onto the guy and to HPI. It's only had one claim against it. The reason it shows up the way it does is because it's atached to the VIN. Thats from HPI.

From him: it was hit about a week after he bought it so the transfer of ownership had not been completed before the Cat D was recorded. Previous owner was a dealership and the 9TOE is a private plate belonging to the guy who traded the car to the dealer.

All sounds good. He said i'm more than welcome to have a look and if not happy leave it. He said he'd be happy to wait a week for an RAC check if thats what i want, i asked about this. TBH the guy does seem genuine and he's goin to dig out all the info he has including a previous HPI report he had to show it was claim free when he bought it plus all the service history which i had asked for already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Victor_M wrote: »
    I would disagree with ......
    be very hard to shift on if it's a lemon.

Your making a lot of sense there Victor. Good advice.

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

DanGerMus wrote: »
    :D

I take it you bought it so! And survived your maiden voyage too! Photo's please, and how did you find the Auto box for the first few miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AAARON

very brave man .. but the drive is worth it goodluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would disagree with that statement. High mileage is a sign that the car is mechanically capable and if well looked after should be able to keep going, high number of owners would always set off alarm bells with me.

I swear, i thought i replied to this post. Firstly, I was joking about the averages in reference to high mileage, high miles are high miles. (My emoticon obviously didn't do its job).
    Why would 6 people have decided to buy and sell this car over the last 8 years? It's a dream car for a lot of people.

A high number of owners would set of alarm bells with me too. For example, I traded a 00 Golf last year with 5 owners, which I thought was fairly high. Turns out it was a demo when new, then bought. That's two owners after three months. The lad who was trading it in, had it for exactly one year, so that's three accounted for in in 1 year and 3 months. That leaves 6 years and nine months for the other two owners. Full service history, nothing to get jumpy over IMO. Late last year I came across a 07 jeep with 3 owners. Again it was a demo, and the lad traded up after the year(Before July) and another lad bought it.
    I remember talking my brother out of buying a Z3 98(or 99) D 007, silly reg aside it had 7 previous owners this was about 3 years ago there was something seriously dodgy about it, we couldn't tell from looking at it, it all seemed fine, but for some reason 7 people had previously shifted it on, there is usually a reason for it, and those sort of reasons aren't in the sellers interest to mention to the potential buyer.

99 or 98? So 3 years ago, 2006? And 07 owners? Ya something to be concerned about alright. But 99-D-007? Yah... Lol... Reg isn't possible lol.

As I already stated on the previous page the car is coming up as having 6 owners in 9 years. -1 who had it for two months. 5 owners -1 the current who had it for one year and that's 4. So then from 08 backwards it had an average of one owner per 2 years. What if it was a demo model new? That's over 2.5 years per owner. On a car that's 4.2, heavy tax, running costs, servicing etc. etc. etc. I think it would be very easy for someone to get sick of it after 2 years. Also the fact that who ever bought it new obviously had the money, so what's stopping them to buying a new one etc. etc.

Hey guys yeah i got it, went over to Liverpool on monday morning, Bus to Manchester, Breakfast then met the guy in city center around 10.30. I was standing outside the Pub i ate in on the phone to him when i saw the Nogaro Blue glide gracefully up the street accross from me, it was lovely. Had a quick look on the side of the street and a quick chat, he pointed out the slight damage to the alloy from accident and told me the story. All sounded good.

Really chatty sound and genuine guy i swear to god it was 4 hours before the deal was done. He drove back to his house, i had the GF with me for the trip and he had his little girl for the day (his wife was a ilttle under the weather:)), so neither of us felt the other was up to anything dodgey at that stage. Got to his house and straight away he handed me the keys and asked if i wanted to take it out for a spin. I did so.... gleefully.

The car is absolutely mint inside and out lads. Not one dent on the whole car. There are 2 chips from stones one on bonnet one on rear drivers side door both tiny. One very light buffable scratch on rear bumper can barely see it, he pointed it out to me. Interior is perfect except for slight wear on the driver seat of the alcantara only bad thing about it is the Glove box is broken stuck shut :(. He had the old parts from the cambelt change but also had a new filter and what i think is a new timing belt left which obviously wasn't done which is a bummer as i didn't notice this til i got home as they were in a plastic bag not the end of the world though i think. Drivers window is also sticky as the rubber seems to have hardened a bit so i'm gettin some nylon rubber lube from local auto shop for that tomorrow. And thats it.
    Happy as larry with it and i've gotten nothing but positive reactions from people at home to the way it looks and then of course gasps as i tell them whats under the bonnet followed by the obligitory 'i hope it's got a toe hitch..'

This is turning into a long post.... to be continued (with pics)

• Advertisement

Auto was fine BTW, easy even, i suppose thats what it's about and i like it. It goes up through the gears very smoothly. Even starting to use the left foot for breaking now, thats a little trickier as the left foot is used to pressing harder and clutching to the floor but getting there and it helps for taking off quickly.
    For normal driving there is enough power to push it around at little over idle, foot rarely goes far down on the pedal. Well only a few times :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Well wear with the car man, just read the whole thread and hope it all works out because you've got a beast of a car!

P.S. That S8 in Ronin makes me cry I want it so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Best of luck with the new beast Dan!

And to reiterate, we'll be needing pictures ASAFP.

Oh, and the part of me that's still considering an S6 is dying to know what sort of mileage you're getting (and what sort of driving you're doing).

Aye lad best of luck with it.

Make sure to get yourself on www.vagdrivers.net, you'll be made more than welcome:D

We'll be expecting a full detailed review soon;)

Many happy days motoring to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Congratulations on your acquisition, it sounds like a fabulous bit of kit and I'm sure it'll be a joy to own and drive.

Oh yeah, PICTURES!

Hey guys just to update, due to i minor hiccup with the V5 i have to wait for a Cert of Export before i can VRT her and the best Ins quote i can get won't cover me until it's registered. So she's parked up in the mams, out of site out of mind, killing me not to drive her. On the upside due to the OMSP rejigging last week VRT is about 900 less. Dum luck eh WOOT!

I'll get some pics in the next few days as i'm off and i'll be down to see her, lol.

One thing though i'd like to sell the alloys, i just fancy a set of deep dish polished finish for her. Some thing like these http://www.wheelsnthings.com/acatalog/info%5fDOT05A617%2ehtml or http://www.wheelsnthings.com/acatalog/info%5fDOT01A616%2ehtml.
    What you think i'd get for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I actually miss-read this thread originally. Thought it was about an S8! S6 is a great car but has no way near the presence of an S8. S6 has too many curves and not enough angles for my liking, but that's just me!

media.jpg
    That's a rather ominous looking puddle. Hopefully the aircon was on :cool:

Lol! That's a manhole! :pac:

Best of luck with the new car!

Kahn RSX would look fantastic
    kahn_rsx.jpg

Or else S8's...

Wouldn't be to keen on the second set you showed, first set is nice though. I wouldn't go for a dark coloured alloys, wouldn't suit the blue IMO.

Yeah LM they are class i spotted em in your post the other day and went looking for em. They're 4k. :(
    Yeah S8s were my first choice nothin but replicas around suppose they'd be fine. Then i spotted the first ones i linked to while lookin for the kahns thought they were nice.

Yeah LM they are class i spotted em in your post the other day and went looking for em. They're 4k. :(
    Yeah S8s were my first choice nothin but replicas around suppose they'd be fine. Then i spotted the first ones i linked to while lookin for the kahns thought they were nice.

Ah sure 4k is nothing. People often spend 50% of the price of the car on wheels hahah:P

• Advertisement

Finally got her all registered and insured so popped out to take a few pics today.
    75869.JPG

I'll stick the rest up when i get time to scale them. One problem now if anyone can help there is a whineing from the power steering it goes away after driving for a while but i checked the fluid today and it seems to be over filled (engine cold). Will draining it help if so how do i drain it or is it too late could damage be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Looks sweet. Wouldn't be my choice of colour but I think the A4 and A6 of that era are the most handsome cars Audi have made in recent decades. (Until the R8 came along at least).

I'd say one of the VAG drivers fora might be the place to find your PS answer.

I see you took the badge off the front grill, or was there one on it? Very nice, as said, thanks for keeping us up to date and get yourself onto www.vagdrivers.net

More pics ASAP:D

Yeah first thing i did, silly bugger had glued it and let glue run a bit it's nothing anyone else would notice but i know it's there you know what i mean. I'm half tempted to buy a new grill for it(lol), back one is still on but not for long. I've been assured that a hair drier and some elbow grease is the way to go. I have the proper badges ordered from German Ebay but i may just leave it debadged. It'll never be a sleeper in this colour though :) so i don't think it makes a difference really.
    But i am getting tired of telling people that it's "ONLY" an S6 and not an RS6.

I have the proper badges ordered from German Ebay but i may just leave it debadged. It'll never be a sleeper in this colour though :)

I disagree. To the untrained eye, and the fact that the reps of those wheels are so common, I think it is indeed a sleeper. I guarantee you, no one but the odd few will know what's under the bonnet:D
    But i am getting tired of telling people that it's "ONLY" an S6 and not an RS6.

Don't mind that crap, jealousy is an awful thing.

Well, here you go.
    76015.JPG
    76016.JPG
    76017.JPG
    76018.JPG
    76019.JPG

Some more.

76020.JPG
    76021.JPG
    76022.JPG
    76023.JPG

Went to the cinema tonight. Saw watchman, cool movie, pity about the ending, of the night i mean, the movie was great. I blame storm for not having a showing tonight they're normally my first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

:eek:

Don't say it was vandalised already??

Advertisement