Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House building costs around the country - Mod warning in first post

Options
  • 23-01-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought Id throw this out at you lot to gauge the price variation in different parts of the country.

I'll start with a 150 m2 4 bedroom bungalow with a detached 45 m2 garage that commenced just before Xmas in a rural site. The contractor is basically doing everything apart from the kitchen units, fireplace, decorating and landscaping. He has included the cost of a sewage treatment system and is kerbing from the gate along the drive and around the house (804 finish on drive)

Price - €120,000

Edit: Should have said this is in Donegal. Contractor is very reputable and this time last year he wouldnt have taken on a one off house as he was busy building schemes of 50+

Mod edit: The thread is for posting prices people have paid - not what it will cost to build.

Anyone looking for ideas as to the costs involved in building a new house should post in the Prices/costs forum.

Ignoring this and subsequent warnings will result in a 2 week ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thats a good price.

OK, 210 m2 storey and a half dwelling, no kitchen, tiling, painting, kerbing, sewerage treatment or connections included. Included are 1m footpath, 804 drive, white suites, deal fixings, DG uPVC windows and doors, knapp plaster finish to cavity walling, etc., etc.

€ 190,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

That €120k seems like a very good deal, what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Donegal for my troubles ;)

Goes a long way to explaining the price of property in Donegal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

How do you go about looking for a builder?

Has anyone any examples of building costs in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Brockagh wrote: »
    How do you go about looking for a builder?

Has anyone any examples of building costs in Dublin?

Use the services of an architect from start to finish . Failing that "knock on doors" - politely ask people who they used . Or talk to counter staff in your local builders suppliers about who has a "good rep"

€2000 / m2 - completed and ready for use - i.e. kitchen , finishes , decoration , site walls / fences gates etc . € 1400 for "builders finish" . ( approx guide )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This is Brilliant info.
    Also, May i suggest a sticky on the cost maybe , cos if we got the average rebuild cost for each of the 26 counties, it would be good for evaulating your house insurance rebuild costs as the insurance co's are not realistic with rebuild costs. They are wayyyyyy of the real price per square foot.

However, for insurance rebuild costs, you have to add demoliation and site clearance costs if you house is raised to the ground - but that can easly be factored for when you have the build cost calculated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

muffler wrote: »
    I'll start with a 150 m2 4 bedroom bungalow with a detached 45 m2 garage that commenced just before Xmas in a rural site. The contractor is basically doing everything apart from the kitchen units, fireplace, decorating and landscaping. He has included the cost of a sewage treatment system and is kerbing from the gate along the drive and around the house (804 finish on drive)

Price - €120,000

Around Dublin , would expect typically ( obviously big variations are depending on client taste / budget )
    Kitchen €15k - 25 +
    Utility €3k-9
    Fireplace €4k - 6k -8k ? ( same with nearby plasma ;))
    Decoration - €20k -25k
    Landscaping - real "piece of string" that . No kidding , I have seen that vary from €5k-50k + .

Muffler is the builder supplying sanitaries - or has he provided a PC allowance ?
    Ditto query on floor finishes , bathroom tiling

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Muffler is the builder supplying sanitaries - or has he provided a PC allowance ?
    Ditto query on floor finishes , bathroom tiling
    Its a Donegal builders finish :D.

He would have a PC sum included for sanitary ware, electrics and plumbing which normally covers it.

Basically the cube will be screed floors, plastered walls and ceilings (skimmed). Any finish over and above that will be extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Muffler - nice price. What sort of insulation are you getting at this price - floor wall and roof. Also what spec windows?

Good luck with the build.

Mac

• Advertisement

Muffler - nice price. What sort of insulation are you getting at this price - floor wall and roof. Also what spec windows?

Good luck with the build.

Mac
    Sorry. its not for me but a client :p.

just started the thread to see what contractors were charging around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

OK - hope your client will be happy - good price.

What insulation - or maybe let us know what you estimate will be the BER. Is it a highly spec'ed house?

Also do you see this as substantially cheaper than what it would have costs say 18months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Use the services of an architect from start to finish . Failing that "knock on doors" - politely ask people who they used . Or talk to counter staff in your local builders suppliers about who has a "good rep"

€2000 / m2 - completed and ready for use - i.e. kitchen , finishes , decoration , site walls / fences gates etc . € 1400 for "builders finish" . ( approx guide )

Thanks for the info. That's very useful.

I have heard that many builders are now doing jobs for very little to tide them over until things pick up again. The only problem is these builders could go to the wall if the next job doesn't turn up.

Also, guys that used to do massive jobs are doing one-off housing, so there's much more competition in the market.

Does anyone on the boards have a personal recommendation for a good-value, reliable buider? Obviously I'm going everywhere for advice, including the architect.

OK - hope your client will be happy - good price.

What insulation - or maybe let us know what you estimate will be the BER. Is it a highly spec'ed house?

Also do you see this as substantially cheaper than what it would have costs say 18months ago?
    Its a standard spec for the cavity walls: Kooltherm K8 in cavity and Kooltherm K17 insulated board to inner side of walls.

Im not into the BER myself so I wont comment.

The same contractor would have priced this job last year at €160,000 approx.

Got a call from a guy today who had looked at our plans. He gave us a price of €160k which was ok(ish), but then he dropped the bombshell. He wanted another 40k to bring in a project manager and would do it without him.
    Away and ****

Bump on this. Would be nice to get some more feedback on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Was talking to a guy who got a contractor for 85 EUR/Sq Ft just outside of Cork city. Don't know the full details but as far as I know it was a builders finish excluding the painting, the spec was fairly standard and the size was about 2400 Sq Ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

I have heard anecdotally of €80 per sq ft in Cork County and €63-65 per sq ft in Kerry both for "builders finish". Not certain what was included in "builders finish". I'd imagine builders are tightening up on what they include in order to keep prices low now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandy09

Hey, can anyone give me rough price on the above in kilkenny? one builder said he would do it for €90 per sqft??? that for 2000sqft bungalow. to be honest not sure what included in that price tho.

Tendered 2 bungalows in south kilkenny lately, 2,000 sq ft and 2,100 sq ft, both came back at €80 / sq ft. builders finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, that doesn't sound too bad. is 2000sqft bout average (if you can use such a word) for a bungalow?

Yes...ish.:)
    Very comfortable 4 bed, 2 ensuite, with sunroom or second living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I wonder are the above prices inclusive of VAT.

Also what is included ie. Water treatment Unit, Landscaping, tiling etc.

Includes vat, septic tank, percolation area, footpaths, boiler and heating.
    Not included are:
    Kitchen, appliances, wardrobes, tiling, floor coverings, painting, firefront(s), landscaping, kerbing or finished driveway, entrance or gates, landscapeing, tree planting or site boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Includes vat, septic tank, percolation area, footpaths, boiler and heating.
    Not included are:
    Kitchen, appliances, wardrobes, tiling, floor coverings, painting, firefront(s), landscaping, kerbing or finished driveway, entrance or gates, landscapeing, tree planting or site boundaries.

Hopefully all building costs will come down to that level. Perhaps they should never have gone up so high.

I'm looking at a cottage renovation and extension at 90 euro a sq. ft.
    The main costs are external insulation and new roofs.

Not included water treatment unit, Kitchen, appliances, wardrobes, tiling, floor coverings, painting, sove and flue.
    Loads of PC sums for items like solar panels, boiler and heating.

Yeah, what I have found for some jobs like yours is the contractors foreman who has been left go. I know of 4 at the moment that I am sending out to clients for renovations. You buy the materials and you have the ex-foreman on a weekly wage. We have a very good idea how long a job should take and discuss it with them before they start. Everyone's a winner.

have being finding the above info really useful...there's just so much to take into account. does anyone know where to go about looking at good house plans for bungalow or possibly dormer? have looked at irishhouseplans.ie (even if there are any good books, etc?)
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭LowOdour

sandy09 wrote: »
    have being finding the above info really useful...there's just so much to take into account. does anyone know where to go about looking at good house plans for bungalow or possibly dormer? have looked at irishhouseplans.ie (even if there are any good books, etc?)
    cheers
    This site http://www.finlaybros.ie has some nice basic designs.
    Im in the same boat...trying to get a 2100 sq ft dormer self build up and running. Would like to go with a contractor ( and we have been quoted as low as 68 per sqft by one) but problem is that where I live, my friends within a 1/2 mile radius are either plasters,block layers, electricians etc and it would be very hard not to ask them...even though they could be more expensive

found that website really helpful...things starting to come together in my head now!! really want to get going on it cos i think with the way things are i could get a good enough price on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 overdrivemurphy

I’m in Tipp, The best quote I got was €75 per square foot, builders finish. including under floor heating, septic tank. paths around the house. inviro bead insulating.
    2600sq feet two story. That’s was in January ,should come down some by January when I start building.:D

Advertisement