Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point??

Options
  • 01-11-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1101/halloween.html
    The estimated cost of damage caused during Hallowe'en is expected to run into millions of euro.

During a night of violence in Dublin three buildings were set alight including a factory and dozens of cars were torched.

Dublin City Council estimate the clean-up operation alone will cost close to €1m.

The emergency services dealt with fires as well as attacks on police and fire officers during the night.

Two gardaí were taken to hospital after they were injured following an altercation with a group of people in Dublin.

The two gardaí were on foot patrol when they were attacked by a group of people just after midnight on Dorset Street.

Ten people were arrested at the scene.

The two gardai were taken to the Mater hospital for treatment.

In Sherriff Street in the north inner city a fireman was injured and a fire engine was attacked by a gang of youths as the emergency services attempted to put out an extended bonfire there at around 9pm.

The fire officer is believed to have received an eye injury and was admitted to hospital.

The windscreen of the fire engine was smashed in the attack.

Fire services were called out to over 800 incidents in Dublin.

The Dublin Fire Service reported up to six knife attacks and that 40% of calls related to assaults, many of them resulting in head injuries.

The ambulance service received more than 500 calls and up to 50 cars were set on fire in the capital.

The Fire Services also dealt with three significant blazes in Dublin.

One at a factory at Castleforbes Road near the Point Depot, the second at derelict apartments in O'Devaney Gardens close to Arbour Hill in the north inner city and the third at the Westen Inn off Mountjoy Square.

The Fire Service also reported bales of hay being dragged on to a road in Co Monaghan and set alight.

In Northern Ireland, police officers were attacked with petrol bombs and fireworks in Crossmaglen, Co Armagh shortly last night.

The PSNI says it believed a fire at a tyre depot on the Corrody Road in Derry was started deliberately.

The Fire Service of Northern Ireland said that its regional control centre in Lisburn received a call approximately every minute last night.

So halloween is just a bit of laugh then? What exactly about halloween gives these ****ing scumbags a green light to act like this?? In normal terms it was just a Friday night - so how many Friday nights normally result in this much damage?

And as for attacking emergency services, I'd personally love to see Gardai armed on halloween night and given a shoot to kill policies for ****ers that partake in this. Utter lowest level scum...

Halloween is nothing more than a night for the scumbags to run riot. If you need any further convincing of this, please read the article above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yeah I'm not really a fan of Halloween. I just went to my friends house last night and four of us watched a movie, but I was even worried just driving there and back incase someone threw something at my car. You never know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

strange concept and all... but there's mroe people involved in celebrating halloween than these ****in scumbags. i know you'd just LOVE to ruin it all for everyone else... but personally, i quite enjoy it, one of my favourite days of hte year.

it is a LOT more than an excuse for scumbags to run riot... it's just that rioting scumbags tend to make for more interesitng headlines than 'peaceful people enjoy themselves'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Every year we get the same headlines following halloween night...every single year. I'm sure some people enjoy it (they are usually the ones who are mature enough to act like adults), while everyone else seems to get it into their heads that halloween night somehow absolves them of all laws and responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

"In Northern Ireland, police officers were attacked with petrol bombs and fireworks in Crossmaglen, Co Armagh shortly last night."

Nobody does it like the Nordies.

Have to agree that it seems to be getting out of hand, a bit like Paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A concert venue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Pfft, Halloween and Paddy's Day. When will people cop on.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Every year we get the same headlines following halloween night...every single year. I'm sure some people enjoy it (they are usually the ones who are mature enough to act like adults), while everyone else seems to get it into their heads that halloween night somehow absolves them of all laws and responsibility.

every christmas we have headlines about drunk drivers, consumerism and greed, every bank holiday weekend, reports about drunk drivers, and idiots on the roads.

lets get rid of all things fun, so the idiots dont get the chance to **** the rest of us over.

every christmas we have headlines about drunk drivers, consumerism and greed, every bank holiday weekend, reports about drunk drivers, and idiots on the roads.

lets get rid of all things fun, so the idiots dont get the chance to **** the rest of us over.

Consumerism and greed are a long long way from ****ing scumbags burning out cars and attacking gardai/fire services.

I'm not saying get rid of the fun things, I'm just asking what justification is there for Halloween night to result in stories like this?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Consumerism and greed are a long long way from ****ing scumbags burning out cars and attacking gardai/fire services.

I'm not saying get rid of the fun things, I'm just asking what justification is there for Halloween night to result in stories like this?

im just saying that, like any other holiday, there are negative headlines. i would imagine that the areas wehre the car burning and that happen are relatively predictable, and could be handled iwth a lil foresight and official presence.

honestly, my only point is that halloween is an enjoyable and important celebration for some people, and to see it ruined on account of the few (who, lets face it, will brew up the same trouble anyway, just probably not on the same night), would be a crying out shame.

halloween was never about burning out cars, or completely disrespecting society. figure out why people have such disrespect, and such antisocial desires, and you'll fix halloween. failing that... patterns will continue as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I saw gangs of scummers launching fireworks along the ground at people and cars around 7.00 last night in Manorhamilton. What disturbed me most is that there were groups of children out trying to "Trick or Treat" and they were visibly distressed by this.

I can't understand people who say "i know you'd just LOVE to ruin it all for everyone else" I don't think those kids we having much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

easier solution, lets get rid of all the idiots, so the responsible adults can have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Halloween is for the kids to go trick or treating, kids around here had a great tme getting dressed up and calling round the houses and eating vast amounts of sugar:D

Scumbags are scumbags, they re just waiting for any excuse to act like f*cking eijjits, its not Halloween itself causing the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Totally agree with arming the guards/firefighters on occasions like this. Three good men in hospital this morning just for trying to keep the rest of us safe.

One poor firefighter still in with a damaged eye. For just doing his job ffs!

Gulliver wrote: »
    I saw gangs of scummers launching fireworks along the ground at people and cars around 7.00 last night in Manorhamilton. What disturbed me most is that there were groups of children out trying to "Trick or Treat" and they were visibly distressed by this.

I can't understand people who say "i know you'd just LOVE to ruin it all for everyone else" I don't think those kids we having much fun.

i hate the people who decide that because a minority can't handle the responsibility of good clean fun, the majority miss out. most of the kids ive seen over the years trick or treating, have enjoyed themselves. can't speak for these last two years, as not been in the country, but reports from siblings seem to show all progress as normal.
    easier solution, lets get rid of all the idiots, so the responsible adults can have fun.

qft.

im just saying that, like any other holiday, there are negative headlines.

Except the negative headlines from other holidays don't read like the Iraqi national news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This wasn't just in Dublin either...our local news this morning made for interesting listening...fire brigade stretch beyond capacity, poor guys having their tenders bricked and bottled. Two kids in hosptial for severe burns due to fireworks. Many cars and property vandalised or burned.

This doesn't happen at christmas, doesn't happen at easter either...and is never usually any where near as bad as this at St Patrick's day...so I can only assume that halloween is a crock of sh*te as refereneced in the poll on here last night. Sad that an ancient celtic celebration of the end of the harvest and looking forward to hard winter time ahead gets hijacked by modern society as a means to either wallow in childish fantasy and flagrant exhibitionism or as a means to pick on the more vulnerable in society and as a general anything goes day WRT abusing and damaging public and private property. The only people who benefit from halloween are pumpkin farmers and fancy dress shops.
    But it's not the holiday and we can't blame a date on the calendar for all of this...tbh I'm at a loss as to what the answer is...societal breakdown is alive and well in this country...I'm just going to sit back and watch it all unravel over the next few years as our new economic hardships really come to the fore...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sherifu wrote: »
    A concert venue.
    Not anymore it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

i hate the people who decide that because a minority can't handle the responsibility of good clean fun, the majority miss out. most of the kids ive seen over the years trick or treating, have enjoyed themselves. can't speak for these last two years, as not been in the country, but reports from siblings seem to show all progress as normal.

qft.
    No one is saying to ban Hallowe'en, but I believe that a tighter rein should be kept on these scummers and fireworks. It is true that out in the country, kids are able to enjoy trick or treating, but in built up areas they run the risk of getting hurt by these fireworks when used improperly.

I felt sorry for those kids last night. Their parents looked as terrified as they did. At least wait till the younger kids have had their fun before starting street skirmishes.

i dindt exactly grow up in a crowded, urban area, but enjoyed halloween in my youtyh..... guess ill not make any more comments on it this year, till i get in touch with mates from back home about how twas this year compared to the last few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

At first on hearing of the destruction and harm done to those that only are there for our own good, my reaction was to send in the army, arm the Gardi and get out the riot squads.

On further contemplation however that would NOT be of practicable use. It didn't work for Northern Ireland when there was trouble up there so there's probably no way it would work elsewhere.

What's the answer? Good question.
    I do have a suggestion though.

On such holiday periods or upcoming times when there is likely to be trouble on the streets a curfew system should be introduced.
    Children (unless accompanied by an adult of a certain age) should be off our streets by set out hours according to their respective ages.

Where there is serious trouble, the Gardi should have the appropriate powers to immediately call for a complete zone close down where everyone gets off the streets and is told to stay indoors.
    If anyone is caught after that outside they pay a price for their actions.
    In the case of teenagers, they should be picked up, detained and hauled before the courts (with their parents) to explain why they were blatantly breaking the curfew law. If found that they don't have a justifiable excuse (such as medical emergencies or death in the family, etc) they are given a fine and/or an award of "crime points" similar to the car punishment system.
    With the adding out of such points, at a certain level the parents lose their parental benefits/money they they are currently claiming off the state.
    The reasoning and justification behind this is simple - if they don't give a frak about taking care of their kids, controlling them and/or instilling a modicum of decency in them, why should the state be paying good money to the parents for a job they are clearly not doing as the "crime points" add up indicating so!
    Hit them where it hurts - in their wallets. See how will useless lazy parents react to their kids actions when their own kids actions makes them lose their money which pays for their extra drink and cigs, etc!

The above is just one brief explained measure but its a possible start.
    We have to start somewhere and in should be in the home!

..and by the way, I'm a parent of three, soon to be four.
    If my kids ever do what the scum have done last night on our streets, they won't get to court ...because I promise you, I will have before then kicked the living **** out of them ...and they know that right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Not all parents have power over their children

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They should find that scummer that injured the fireman and set fire to his house.

When he calls the fire brigade, they can come and toast some sossies on it as they watch it burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Arm the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They do it because they can get away with it the majority of the time, nothing stopping them. Heavier hand needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Simple fact: these f***ers do will nothing but cause other people misery and breed more little f***rs that do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Biggins wrote: »
    Children (unless accompanied by an adult of a certain age) should be off our streets by set out hours according to their respective ages.

In the case of teenagers, they should be picked up, detained and hauled before the courts (with their parents) to explain why they were blatantly breaking the curfew law. If found that they don't have a justifiable excuse (such as medical emergencies or death in the family, etc) they are given a fine and/or an award of "crime points" similar to the car punishment system.
    With the adding out of such points, at a certain level the parents lose their parental benefits/money they they are currently claiming off the state.
    The reasoning and justification behind this is simple - if they don't give a frak about taking care of their kids, controlling them and/or instilling a modicum of decency in them, why should the state be paying good money to the parents for a job they are clearly not doing as the "crime points" add up

This is making the massive assumption that any teenager out at night is automatically up to no good. I was out last night and got the nitelink home at 2.30 and I only saw one spot of bother, which were two lads, quite obviously over 18, wrestling on the ground.

If we want to get discriminatory here I'd rather discriminate on grounds of what area they're from rather than age, that would be far more effective.

Bambi wrote: »
    Simple fact: these f***ers do will nothing but cause other people misery and breed more little f***rs that do the same.

Maybe we need to start sterilising these scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Mark200 wrote: »
    Not all parents have power over their children

Unfortuately most of these kids have been dragged up by their scumbag parents. Its a vicious circle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Piste wrote: »
    ...If we want to get discriminatory here I'd rather discriminate on grounds of what area they're from rather than age, that would be far more effective.

Which is why I suggest that on the outbreak of serious trouble, the authorities have the power to immediately put into effect a blank zone curfew. To get the trouble teenagers off the streets. If your an ordinary teen just out and wanting to get home, go home accompanied with an adult, get a taxi, or at a bus stop that is allowed to only have non-trouble making teens gather.

Everyone else in a a trouble zone should subsequently looked at with suspicion and made answerable for their breaking of the clearance zone curfew!

Seriously, would you go wandering around the equivalent of a warzone with bombs, missiles or any other crap flying flying?
    If you have half a brain and not want to get named or be seen to be involved, you'd get your ass out out the trouble spot if you have any kop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Meh, there are parts of this city where firemen and cops refuse to go into without riot vans and full backup. I've seen them on the roadside 400 yards away from a blazing house waiting for the rest of the cops to arrive. But its only around Halloween that I see attacks being reported in the media.

Advertisement