Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband being incredibly slow.. why?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey.
    I have Eircom Broadband, and today, I went onto my Garry's Mod server to find that I was getting 400 ping! I would usually get less than 20 ping when I went on. I decided to reboot my computer to see if that would help. It didn't help. I am running a web server on my connection, and have been running one for well over 2 years now. I checked the ping on my server and it was 400ms on there as well. So I restarted my (netopia) router several times, I even changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS. No change in speed.

I am paying for 2048k DSL, and when I did a test on speedtest.net, I was not happy with the results.
    296149795.png
    I have no idea, why I am getting download speeds that are 7.5 times slower than what I am paying for. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Is anyone else having this problem? I'm in the South Tipperary area, Clonmel to be exact.

Thanks,
    -Steve :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Same here in Wexford Town (Anne Street exchange). Approx 400ms pings to first route, really really slow at the moment.

Possibly some work being done in the exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Probably down to the phone point where it's connected or at least of the following splitter/sky digital/internal phone system/monitored alarm.

Connect it directly to your main telephone point and try again, failing that ring tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Shamo wrote: »

There was an outage earlier on today around Wexford at 6 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

isint there some bot lately thats killing internet speeds by redirecting DNS entries? even though i have crap upload speeds always im getting crap fluctuating download speeds for the past month

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Imimmfn, I thought it might have been something to do with the DNS servers, but I switched mine to OpenDNS, and I'm still having problems =/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

296159832.png

:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Terrible in Mullingar also.
    Has been getting worse for last few weeks
    I have a 3Meg connection and I always got about 2600kb/s religiously when running tests. Recently its running at about 1200. Today I was down to about 700 during the day.
    Was in with a guy earlier who has 4 meg line and he was complaining. We ran speedtest and he was getting 750 down and 120 up, should be about 3500 down and 320 up!!

296161832.png296162580.png296163018.png

Hmm.... Looking at the above, the Dublin figure is showing much higher every time I try the test
    Would that point to DNS issues?

Whoa, I tried the Dublin Speedtest server and things were a little different
    296162631.png
    But look at that ping O_O

I see OpenDNS site is down for a few mins although they say DNS is unaffected but wow thats some ping you have there!

"We're currently upgrading our Web site. It was about 10x easier to take the entire site down for a few minutes and make the change than plan a complicated, error-prone transition. DNS is up and running 100% and is unaffected by this upgrade."

Well i'm pinging boards.ie by ip address here and it's giving me the same 400ms respones so can't be dns for me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Here's mine:
    296166863.png
    Notice the ping....and upload

More normal!!!!!:
    295320067.png
    EDIT: Ping to boards.ie:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=483ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=475ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=423ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=426ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 423ms, Maximum = 483ms, Average = 451ms

C:\Documents and Settings\User>

mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm getting 400+ ms to everywhere this evening. UTV in Kilkenny. Like the rest of you, its right at the first hop outside my router.

Very frustrating.

The common factor here seems to be people in the south east. Anyone from outside the south east getting this problem tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I thought i was the only one but my bogband has been crap tonight!! Fecking Eircom are getting enough off me!! I'm in Wicklow Town!!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Shamo wrote: »
    Same here in Wexford Town (Anne Street exchange). Approx 400ms pings to first route, really really slow at the moment.

Same here, thought it was just me, 400ms ping to irish servers :/

Stephen wrote: »
    The common factor here seems to be people in the south east. Anyone from outside the south east getting this problem tonight?

Mullingar here :D

whisht wrote: »
    Terrible in Mullingar also.
    Has been getting worse for last few weeks
    I have a 3Meg connection and I always got about 2600kb/s religiously when running tests. Recently its running at about 1200. Today I was down to about 700 during the day.
    Was in with a guy earlier who has 4 meg line and he was complaining. We ran speedtest and he was getting 750 down and 120 up, should be about 3500 down and 320 up!!

296161832.png296162580.png296163018.png

Hmm.... Looking at the above, the Dublin figure is showing much higher every time I try the test
    Would that point to DNS issues?

Im in mullingar( UTV 3Mb ) also and pinging boards.ie im getting:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=58
    Request timed out.

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=58

but mines generally crap anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's that theory gone then. Back to blaming eircom and eircom only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deicida

I'm from Tipp have a 3Mb connection from UTV. I have the same problem, getting ~70KB/s when it's usually 330. Has anyone contacted Eircom or UTV about this?

Deicida wrote: »
    I'm from Tipp have a 3Mb connection from UTV. I have the same problem, getting ~70KB/s when it's usually 330. Has anyone contacted Eircom or UTV about this?
    a mate of mine contacted utv and they said it was the bot DNS redirection issue i mentioned earlier that has been an issue of the past 6 weeks but they had hoped was fixed, other than that i know nothing about it, so take it with a pinch of salt i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im getting a ping of 844 on utv in wexford. Im cracking

• Advertisement

It's definitely not a problem with DNS. I changed my servers to OpenDNS and I'm still getting horrible speeds.

It's definitely not a problem with DNS. I changed my servers to OpenDNS and I'm still getting horrible speeds.
    i dunno but doesnt it have to get routed to OpenDNS first to obtain the ip address?

its time to put my tinfoil hat back on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

On BT 3mb in Wexford town and feeling sluggish all evening when browsing. Although I'm able to get my usual 300kb+ when downloading from Easynews's web front end using Free Download Manager.

Downloads aren't stable for me on my usual newsgroup connection. Normally it's maxed straight away but hovering around 150-200KB/s (3Mb IBB DSL).

May wait and see what the story is tomorrow, i'd say they'll be getting a lot of pissed off calls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im getting 60kbs off newsgroups, usually get my full 205.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Thought it was just me having the problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Dying to go play some CSS, but all my pings to the servers are 400+ms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Crap connection here in Galway today too (Tuam and at work in Spiddal earlier) - must be a fairly major issue if it's countrywide?

My ping actually seems to be going down now. It's at about 200ms.
    296205260.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

It must be only Eircom, I have a Magnet FTTO connection and im using the opendns servers and im able to ping www.rte.ie at around 3ms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Mine is back working properly now.

Advertisement