Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy binoculars - suggestions / advice please

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mother wants to get a set of Binoculars for my Dad for his birthday.
    They like to travel around Ireland when they get a chance, and he likes to look at nature, so she's looking for a set for looking at nature in general.
    She's willing to spend up to a Max of €200, but would like a pretty compact set that's not too bulky.
    My Dad is 69, so nothing too fancy and simple to use would be great.
    Also - more rugged/waterproff ones would be preferable.
    Can anyone suggest a good set for 200 or less either in a store around Dublin, or online ?

I have been looking at PixMania and Amazon and come up with this one and this one so far.

Thanks !!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Quite a few tips on previous threads if you search this forum for binoculars.

While compact bins are more convenient, they let in less light so are not as good. I have a 10 x 50 for years and am very happy with it. 8 x 40ish might be a nice compromise size.

One online shop to consider is Birdwatch Ireland... http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie. I bought my scope there and could not fault the service. They have a Countryman MC 8 x 42 for 210 Euro that might do the job. Give em a call to see if they have it in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I can echo the above. Opticron Countryman 8x42 are a great starter pair. The optics are tops for the affordable price. i had a pair as my stand-by bins for a few years. Highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

I would support what the lads above have said, birdwatch Ireland won't do you wrong. I've seen so many people robbed when it comes to Binos and end up with usless junk like the stuff you were looking at, its a mine field!! Personally i use Leica ultravid 7x42, leica are a bit expensive but Opticron are good. Most important thing is that you don't buy high magnification. 7or 8 x is loads and you must have about 40-50 objective to draw light and to get a good field of view. Opticron are your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks for all the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

What about a monocular? Thats what I use - they are much more compact then binoculars.

The downside is they don't have anything like the magnification power of binoculars.

I use a monocular because for some reason I can never focus my eyes through a binocular so I thought - why bother forking out money for two lenses when you will only ever use one?

Note - I said Monocular - not Monocle, so no jokes about goose stepping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I'd wander into town and visit a few camera stores. They're happily let you try a few pairs outside, so you can get an idea of what you're getting for your money. Generally the higher the quality, the more light they will draw in, giving you higher clarity and a richer view. I'd agree with what's been said about size and magnification, 8x40 area should be as much as you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Sorry to be hijacking this thread but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

I thinking of getting a new pair of bins but I'm half thinking of getting a scope instead.
    One thing that would make me think of getting a scope is the magnification, I do like having the choice of high magnification.

So any opinions, do you favour a scope over bins or vice versa.

gerky wrote: »
    Sorry to be hijacking this thread but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

I thinking of getting a new pair of bins but I'm half thinking of getting a scope instead.
    One thing that would make me think of getting a scope is the magnification, I do like having the choice of high magnification.

You need both really, Bino's for mobility and for searching and a scope for a closer look. You will need to buy a good tripod also. Again opticron do a reasonable scope.

As above... The Opticron scope is available through the BWI link above. If you are willing to spend a lot though check out the Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss scopes. Mid price range scopes are Kowa and Optholyte.

It is very important though to get a tripod to match the type of scope you get and also to suit your own needs and preferences. Manfrotto make a range of tripods to suit most.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

i dont know what the rules are for posting advice but i got an excellent Swarovski scope secondhand from a Dublin camera shop down clarendon St .
    Its magnification is brilliant but takes some getting used to to find stuff. Tripods a must . brilliant rigged up with a digiscope and a nikon coolpix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I think bins are a must - scope is optional. Sure scope has higher mag but if unexpected bird passing by then you'll never find & focus on it. Bins much more agile, practical and convenient. Scope ideal for seawatching, or staking out a particular site.

I think bins are a must - scope is optional. Sure scope has higher mag but if unexpected bird passing by then you'll never find & focus on it. Bins much more agile, practical and convenient. Scope ideal for seawatching, or staking out a particular site.

This is kinda the angle I'm coming at this from, I already have bins but they really are due for retirement and have seen better days, so until I can afford both I think I'm edging towards a new pair of bins.

Seeing as I'm here another question, are zoom bins as bad as people say, I've only had experiance with a cheap pair.

Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Personally I'd buy Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica. Not over here though, go and have a look at a couple of American websites style opticsplanet or cabelas etc, etc... . After shipping and duty you could end up clutching a Zeiss for the price of something very mediocre over here.

This is kinda the angle I'm coming at this from, I already have bins but they really are due for retirement and have seen better days, so until I can afford both I think I'm edging towards a new pair of bins.

Seeing as I'm here another question, are zoom bins as bad as people say, I've only had experiance with a cheap pair.

I personally would avoid zoom binoculars. I tried out a few pairs over the years and unless you had a huge objective lens end they were useless. Then if they had, 70mm +, you couldn't hold them steady at all. Stick to the fixed glasses I think.

I might actually sticky this thread... trade info on the hardware!!

Thanks all for the help.

Stay away from zoom binoculars, they are only another gimmick to catch the unwary buyer.

Cheap binos can actually damage your eyes by causing eye strain. Spend as much as you can possibly afford on them or go to the credit union. A good pair will last a lifetime. Try looking through a pair of Leica ultravid 7x42 and you will see what i mean.

I had a good pair of Swarovski 8x30 that i get from work, but as soon as i tried the Leica it was like somebody switched the lights on. I now own the Leica's after a long battle trying to get the job to let me trade up, i love the health and safety card, works everytime:):D.

So try the best and see what you can afford after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

I was offered a pair of Bushnell 8x40 (could be 8x42) binoculars for 40 euro. Is this worth it?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of advice.

Hackman wrote: »
    I was offered a pair of Bushnell 8x40 (could be 8x42) binoculars for 40 euro. Is this worth it?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of advice.

It all depends on age and condition Hackman. If they are new or a recent model I would say yes. Are they porro or roof prisms do you know?

Let me have some more information and we will tell you all to the best of our ability!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

boneless wrote: »
    It all depends on age and condition Hackman. If they are new or a recent model I would say yes. Are they porro or roof prisms do you know?

Let me have some more information and we will tell you all to the best of our ability!!

About 5 years old I was told. He said porro prisms. What are they? How do they differ from roof ones? I'm not well up so any help is welcome. Thanks.

€40 sounds about just okay to me for the Bushnells. Try them out first though, to see if they suit you.

Roof prism binoculars are the new sleek in-line look. Porro are the older bulky type, the more traditional type.

Let us know how you get on. Happy watching!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

Hello. I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this so this is probably the best place :p. Sorry if I made a mistake

I was looking to buy a pair of binoculars, so I was thinking ebay. I probably won't be using them for bird watching though, I'm kind of getting them just to have a pair. I won't be spending too much, well not a lot at all... probably around €50? I came across this pair of Bushnells... they're zoom, which from just looking at this thread seems to be terrible (why is this?) I was thinking it would be great to be able to see something and then zoom into it but maybe i'm living in the movies :rolleyes:. ANd also they're 10-90x80, which seems to be an incredible zoom and makes me wonder if they're legitimate! Here's the link anyway, they work out around 55 i think. Any feedback/advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Potency wrote: »
    Hello. I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this so this is probably the best place :p. Sorry if I made a mistake

I was looking to buy a pair of binoculars, so I was thinking ebay. I probably won't be using them for bird watching though, I'm kind of getting them just to have a pair. I won't be spending too much, well not a lot at all... probably around €50? I came across this pair of Bushnells... they're zoom, which from just looking at this thread seems to be terrible (why is this?) I was thinking it would be great to be able to see something and then zoom into it but maybe i'm living in the movies :rolleyes:. ANd also they're 10-90x80, which seems to be an incredible zoom and makes me wonder if they're legitimate! Here's the link anyway, they work out around 55 i think. Any feedback/advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

As is mentioned above, stay clear of the zooms. They are grand on the lower magnifications but they lose depth and clarity on the high end of the scale. You would be better trying a pair before buying to be honest... drop into a stockist and have a look at what is on offer and what price ranges are.

Sorry to be of no more help than this but it is possibly the soundest advice.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

Thank you, it's still good advice :P. At least I'm not wasting €50 on them now! I'll have a look around anyway for a nice pair, Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've had 3 pairs of opticrons.

I started off with the above mentioned 8 x 40 Countryman opticrons with great field of view.

One day I was looking at something on kippure bog (piece of sphagnum moss or something!) and left my binocs down on the grass.
    When I picked them up they were full of water (bogs are full of water duh) and it never really dried up.

So my huge advice when buying a pair pf binoculars would be to pay the bit extra and get a waterproof pair.

The next pair I got were 8 x 42 Opticron Verano's (I tried loads of pairs at the shop and these seemed the best image wise and getting light wise - not too expensive either - I bought them whilst in England and saved a fortune)
    However, months on and I still haven't taken them out becuase I also bought a small pair - Opticron's Taiga's 10 x 25 which have been brilliant. I end up taking them everywhere with me because they've a great image and are light enough to carry in your bag/pocket without noticing their weight.

In a nutshell - go for opticron if you're on a budget- they're pretty good and not too expensive.

Also - you're best trying different binocs in the shop before you buy - step outside, focus on a spot and just look at that same spot (preferably far away!) with different binoculars and whichever binoculars give you the most light, sharpness and detail of that spot - go for them.

Also make sure the binoculars aren't heavy.

Hope this helps.

Opticron are a good budget choice. You can also buy them from the Birdwatch Ireland on-line shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I know this is an old thread, but might as well keep all the information on one topic together. I've to get some binoculars for wildlife watching in Africa and India. I've a very tight budget but would like something decent and durable.

Do these look like good value?
    http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6683

Thanks!

cfitz wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but might as well keep all the information on one topic together. I've to get some binoculars for wildlife watching in Africa and India. I've a very tight budget but would like something decent and durable.

Do these look like good value?
    http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6683

Thanks!

Have you a rough idea what your price limit would be?

Those binoculars probably aren't going to be that suitable for your needs.

Have you a rough idea what your price limit would be?

Those binoculars probably aren't going to be that suitable for your needs.

Well they're more expensive than I'd originally budgeted...

I'm not overly concerned with seeing birds (if that makes a difference). Also, I certainly hope that I get to see some wildlife with the naked eye rather than always relying on binoculars.

How much do you think I need to spend?

cfitz wrote: »
    How much do you think I need to spend?

That's not really a safe question to ask in regards binoculars:D
    Even good low priced bins can go in to hundreds but it all comes down to finding a balance between what you need the binoculars to do and what you can stretch to budget wise.

Would these be stretching your budget too much,
    http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6087~categoryid~164.html

I don't think there's anyone doing them cheaper than there, the only thing with Morris photo is that orders from Ireland have to be made over the phone.

They are quite good and should be suitable for your needs but if you can't stretch to them post back and I'll try and find something cheaper.

• Advertisement

That's not really a safe question to ask in regards binoculars:D
    Even good low priced bins can go in to hundreds but it all comes down to finding a balance between what you need the binoculars to do and what you can stretch to budget wise.

Would these be stretching your budget too much,
    http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6087~categoryid~164.html

I don't think there's anyone doing them cheaper than there, the only thing with Morris photo is that orders from Ireland have to be made over the phone.

They are quite good and should be suitable for your needs but if you can't stretch to them post back and I'll try and find something cheaper.

They'd be 95 pounds when you add the postage, so I think that'd definitely be at the upper end of my budget. My max budget was 50 EUR! Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Advertisement