Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Staff ??

Options
  • 03-06-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭

What do people think of the standard of bar service in this country?

I've had a go at bar managers in my blog.

Does anybody else feel the same or have stories relating to really bad service?
    (I'll link this thread)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well a big one for me is the putting ice in all spirits without asking you first...

Bleh... the amount of times I've ended up with a brandy with ice cubes in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well a big one for me is the putting ice in all spirits without asking you first...

Yup, tequila too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats just very bad bar service, anyone behind a bar with half a brain knows brandy does not come with ice

I was recently in a hotel bar on Abbey street and one of the drinks I ordered in a round was a bottle of sparkling water.. but it turned out the glass for the water had a massive crack in it. I brought it back up and the bar man emptied the ice and lemon slice into a fresh glass (yeah... fresh ice and a slice of lemon was going to break the bank) and then he poured a measure of vodka into the glass. Worth baring in mind that there were maybe just a dozen people in the bar at this point and I was the last person that he had served... He seemed a bit taken aback that I didn't want a glass with vodka in it.

Later I saw how the original glass probably got such a big crack in it as the other bar man was clearing pint glasses off tables by stacking them, he casually leaned on the stack at one table to say something to the people sitting there and his weight shattered the glass on the bottom of the stack all over the table.

And these weren't young lads or anything...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

anyone behind a bar with half a brain knows brandy does not come with ice
    Some people do drink brandy with ice. A single piece is quite popular. The important bit, however, is to be asked.

• Advertisement

I absolutely hate being given a warm glass straight out of the dishwasher for my bottle of erdinger :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I was recently in a hotel bar on Abbey street

God, that could be anywhere in Ireland :D

Hamndegger wrote: »
    God, that could be anywhere in Ireland :D
    Ha... I didn't say if it was Upper, Middle or Lower... It could be any one of perhaps 2 hotels.

Or when the (usually male) server opens the bottle ans slams it on the counter so that it all fizzes up and overflows!

Nice.

Also seen people flip bottles of wine before opening them.

Oh, and Do shake fruit juice before serving,please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

my hate is when someone starts pouring guinness for you but then they put down the glass and walk off leaving it to pour itself. i've never accecpted one of these pints but they still occur in places from time to time in pubs.

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    my hate is when someone starts pouring guinness for you but then they put down the glass and walk off leaving it to pour itself.
    What's wrong with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    my hate is when someone starts pouring guinness for you but then they put down the glass and walk off leaving it to pour itself. i've never accecpted one of these pints but they still occur in places from time to time in pubs.

I'd hate it more if they forget to return to the glass and it's overflowed; sticky fingers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

BeerNut wrote: »
    What's wrong with this?

Ah no, you're not a guiness drinker are you??

Had a big argument with the owner of Bodkins about this last week. He finally admitted that if it was quieter in the bar he would pout it the proper way.

Really dents the whole product when Guinness is poured like this, in the bar I worked in it would be thrown back at you if poured like this. Also, my gf works for Diageo marketing, they were pretty pissed off when she told them the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

ive given up on the Porter house, plain have really gone down hill in that place and about 2 weeks ago i witnessed why, a barman from Oz/NZ was pulling 2 pints of plain, the first one having a fairly big head, so instead of letting it settle longer or start a fresh one, pulls the pint to completion and with a butter knife from his back pocket proceeds to slice the excess off with it, stright accross the rim of the glass.
    now ive come accross this on the continent with largers and its still shít but this was ridiculous.
    this wasnt a pint for me or anyone i knew but if it was he would have got the dogs abuse and rightly so.

the same dirty eejit then sometime later got 2 bottles of i think Tooheys or some beer with sediment that a customer had ordered and proceeded to roll them alcross the slop tray fairly vigriorsly before opening them for the customer.

now i know tha soem like to stir the sediment up a little before drinking but his was bang out of order, a most definitely should be a personal choice.

to pull that sort of shít and to take €5+ off a punter for the pleasure is just unreal.

the bar was by no means busy at this stage either so there is no excuse other than pure unprofessionalism

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Ah no, you're not a guiness drinker are you??
    I am if there's nothing better available.
    Really dents the whole product when Guinness is poured like this
    By "product" do you mean the concept and the ritual? 'Cos I don't see how it would affect what comes out of the keg.
    Also, my gf works for Diageo marketing, they were pretty pissed off when she told them the story.
    I'd imagine so. Their job is creating and sustaining myths about Guinness, and I think this is one of them.

A 45 degree-angle, and therefore a larger surface area on the head, is one way of keeping the head from becoming too thick. But I can't see how it would affect how the finished pint tastes. Likewise the two-part pour.
    with a butter knife from his back pocket proceeds to slice the excess off with it, stright accross the rim of the glass
    Can you explain how this would make a difference? Not that I'm defending the standard of service in the Porterhouse, but with nitrokegged stout -- given all the intensive treatment it goes through before it hits the glass -- I just don't see how things like this would affect how the pint tastes and feels. Any observations on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Can you explain how this would make a difference??

Maybe he was objecting that the knife had been in his back pocket and used on his pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

To be honest the porterhouse is pretty rubbish to be honest. There all about the we sell it so we know better than you. I have friends been given wine glasses to drink there beer out there because they asked for the correct type of glass for that beer, or being told that we don't sell that beer of that beer doesn't come in that style when there in the fridge being the server. If you want to run a bar that sells niche beers you at least have to give your staff some training on WHAT YOU SELL.

irlmarc wrote: »
    If you want to run a bar that sells niche beers you at least have to give your staff some training on WHAT YOU SELL.

That was my point exacty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Bleh... the amount of times I've ended up with a brandy with ice cubes in it..
    In fairness if somebody came up to me and asked for a spirit with a mixer (vodka+red bull, JD+coke, G+T, etc,) I'd automatically throw some ice-cubes in.

Anyone asking for whiskeys (solo or with water), or brandy would get a choice.

In a busy bar I've found this method works best

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    In fairness if somebody came up to me and asked for a spirit with a mixer (vodka+red bull, JD+coke, G+T, etc,) I'd automatically throw some ice-cubes in.

Anyone asking for whiskeys (solo or with water), or brandy would get a choice.

In a busy bar I've found this method works best

You obviously know you stuff! Many bar staff don't have your cop on or knowledge.
    I hope you're as good with beer.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Being refused entry into a place that I and all my mates could have spent €50 or more each in because they didn't like the look of my shoes or some other reason is probably the worst and stupid thing that pub/club employees do.

I always find it funny though when you see a club that is mostly empty refusing people at the door.

Being refused entry into a place that I and all my mates could have spent €50 or more each in because they didn't like the look of my shoes or some other reason is probably the worst and stupid thing that pub/club employees do.

I always find it funny though when you see a club that is mostly empty refusing people at the door.

Oh don't start me on 'dress codes'!!:mad:

I thought that the 'runners' thing and the 'shirt thing' was a thing of the past but apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in The Baggot Inn recently and found the staff to be very nice. It's all done up now inside, new owner is a decent bloke. A lot of Brazilian girls working there. Had a great time chatting them up. Well worth a visit Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You obviously know you stuff! Many bar staff don't have your cop on or knowledge.
    I hope you're as good with beer.:)
    Ah I was only an average barman:) As for beer didn't actually get much call for it in the bar I was working in (dealing mostly in spirits and bottles) and even then it was only for Bud/p1$$

As for Guinness gotta agree with the poster who commented on the 2-part pour being a ritual with no effect on the finished product. Still its a service industry and if that's what the customer wants (with gentle persuasion from Diageo) that's what the customer gets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I have become fully convinced that the whole two part pour thing is absolute nonsense. For a long time I was of the notion that it would be unthinkable for a pint served from a single pour to be of the same quality as one that was the result of a two part pour. But when I thought about this, the only reason that I thought this to be true was because that was what I was led to believe by equally ignorant blokes when I first started frequenting pubs in my mounger days.

Really can't understand how it can alter the overall taste of the drink. Unfortunately, the myth is so entrenched in the psyche of most at this stage that any diversions from the ritual leads to people giving out and complaining about the quality of service!

As for quality of bar staff, what I value most highly is manners and a pleasant demeanour, closely followed by a decent knowledge of the products that are on offer in the bar. Both these qualities would be preferable, however!

The first taste is with the eyes. If the Guinness head doesn't look right then it's going to affect your enjoyment of the pint.

The first taste is with the eyes.
    With ice-cold nitro-stout it's generally the last taste too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Single pour guinness, with the glass left down so it gets all frothy on the head is wrong, imo.

I've handed a pint back to a barman who did this. I actually thought he was drawing off when he left the glass down.

There is one barman, in the Porter House just off Grafton Street.

He spent ages talking to me about all of the different beers in the pub.

He knew a lot about the beers he wa selling. He remembered I had asked for the Baltika Porter, and recommended a few others for me to try based on that. It was a busy night too, so fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 job3

A 45 degree-angle, and therefore a larger surface area on the head, is one way of keeping the head from becoming too thick. But I can't see how it would affect how the finished pint tastes. Likewise the two-part pour.

I find that if you pour guinness in a single pour by the time it settles it overflows. Thats just my opinion tho.

• Advertisement

job3 wrote: »
    I find that if you pour guinness in a single pour by the time it settles it overflows. Thats just my opinion tho.
    It can do. Or you can end up with too thick a head. But like any beer that's running too high you just tip a bit out and top it up until the head is the desired thickness.

Advertisement