Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Test Centre in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-01-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just thought i would let everyone know there is a new test centre opening off Pottery Rd behind Lidl. Tests are starting in February so the waiting lists should be dropping further.:D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I just got a date on that one too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Is that in addition to Deansgrange, or did they move from deansgrange?

The girl in SGS said that it was in addition to deansgrange. Apparently deansgrange is operating at capacity already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've been sent there instead of Churchtown and I'm a bit concerned about driving around there as I don't know the area at all. Does anyone know exactly where this test centre is? I went up around that Lidl on Pottery Rd. to see where it was, followed the map they sent out and didn't find any trace of a test centre there.

And does anyone know of any driving schools that work in that area (aside from ISM)? I should get a lesson or two up there just to familiarise myself with the probable test routes.

I just looked at the map yesterday. Planning to head out there in the next day or two so if I see the test centre i'll put it on here.

From where it is it's probably safe enough to imagine they'll be using the deansgrange test routes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I'm scheduled to be one of the 1st to do the test from the Pottery Rd centre. I've been having driving lessons around Deansgrange. My driving instructor is dubious as to whether it'll open in time; the office isn't built yet. As against that, however, all they really need to run a test centre is a portacabin.

My driving instructor doubts that they'll copy the Deansgrange routes as there are 4 people being tested every hour, so that would mean that the routes would be busier. There is likely to be some overlap however.

Yuck, i wish that I could just do it from Deansgrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

I'm scheduled to be one of the 1st to do the test from the Pottery Rd centre. I've been having driving lessons around Deansgrange. My driving instructor is dubious as to whether it'll open in time; the office isn't built yet. As against that, however, all they really need to run a test centre is a portacabin.

My driving instructor doubts that they'll copy the Deansgrange routes as there are 4 people being tested every hour, so that would mean that the routes would be busier. There is likely to be some overlap however.

Yuck, i wish that I could just do it from Deansgrange.

I would not panic about it they wont be going far off the existing routes for Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

My sister just got a letter to do it there instead of churchtown, Can anyone name some good pre-test people in the deansgrange area, or just some good lessons around the area with a lean towards this new center?

thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

you might find an instructor if you google deansgrange pre test:D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Hi All,

I have my test in SGS Driving Centre, pottery road fast approaching.
    - Can anybody recommend a good pre-test instructor for new route?
    - Does anybody know what the new route might be yet?

I'm getting nervous.
    Kind regards,
    BW

• Advertisement

iconnect wrote: »
    you might find an instructor if you google deansgrange pre test:D

I might also find out what this growth on my back is, if i google it, doesn't beat first hand experience/knowledge a doctor would have does it?

but i vill do that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I might also find out what this growth on my back is, if i google it, doesn't beat first hand experience/knowledge a doctor would have does it?

but i vill do that, thanks.

www.appleschoolofmotoring.com was my instructor, he's excellent and based just around the corner.

I'm going to go and locate this centre possibly tomorrow so I'll put up a photo of it if I see it. Is it open for testing yet?

Go right at Bakers corner and you will come to a "V" in the road. Head right on the road and keep going until you see an Aldi/Lidl (cant remember). You will see a sign going into the centre on your right. Ive passed it a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Yup, it's open. I did my test there on Tuesday (I passed, yay). I really can't remember the route that I was taken on though. I cam out of the centre and turned right and then I turned left at the lights at the end of the road. I don't remember where I went after that but I ended up in Sallynoggin. There was a bit of overlap with the Deansgrange routes; but not a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happychick

i was in the same boat as ye, put in to do my test in rathgar (failed there last time but know the route & live close by area) and ended up getting dun laoighaire - a test centre thats only been open a week or two!!

they say the sgs testers are nice tho & im hoping if i get a few lessons on the deansgrange route that ill get lucky & some of my test will be on that..was out for my first lesson last night with my new instructor, steven from betterdrive.net and he was really good - id say i needed the hour and a half lesson he gives. the route is way different from rathgar tho, the roads in those housing estates must be centuries old!! its always weird driving a new route but he seemed to know his stuff & he was saying that a bunch of the instructors get together practiaclly every day to discuss the dun laoighaire route 7 any test sightings they've spotted or any of their pupils that were on its feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

John wrote: »
    And does anyone know of any driving schools that work in that area (aside from ISM)? I should get a lesson or two up there just to familiarise myself with the probable test routes.

Some decent instructors who do pre-tests in that test centre [and Deansgrange] include

A.J's Driving School
    Accelerate Driving School
    Park Driving School
    Better Drive

Routes are NOT the same as Deansgrange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Michelley

Ive my 1st driving test in the new test centre in Dun Laoghaire start of march, quite nervous, and by quite i mean really really really nervous! I'm from Rathfarnham so dont know the area at all.
    Any suggests or advice???

Michelley wrote: »
    Ive my 1st driving test in the new test centre in Dun Laoghaire start of march, quite nervous, and by quite i mean really really really nervous! I'm from Rathfarnham so dont know the area at all.
    Any suggests or advice???

I understand why you are really, really nervous. The fact you live a good bit away should make no difference. We all can be great drivers on roads we know, its the ones you don't know that will tell a tester you're road-worthy or not. To be honest the nervousness will go the minute you walk into the test centre and start answering the rules of the road questions. To put it frank, it is exactly like the leaving cert, you worry yourself for two years non-stop then 10 mins in, you turn around and think "what's the problem here?"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

For the new test centre,

Turn right at bakers corner if you are coming up from kill lane in deansgrange, the odd "V" shape will be in front of you, go straight which is a right turn, follow the road until the sharp right turn onto a road parallel to lidl, continue past lidl about 50 metres is the new test centre on your right. They have a huge sign up now so once your past lidl you should see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fizzy86

Does anyone know what routes they are using for the tests? Is it similar to the Deansgrange one? Have my test there in March and my instructer doesn't know of anyone who's had it there yet...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

My driving instructor said the test routes are the exact same as the ones used by the deansgrange centre, been driving around the surrounding area just in case thou

One I had: Turn left out of the centre, straight through the lights, turn right at bakers corner, first left at the roundabout at the end of the road, all the way through monkstown village, turn right, then left, right again. I'm not sure about the rest though because I can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

passed my test here today. really sound tester called mark, friendly and not too robot like. heres the route i did - hope its clear enough. i did a pretest before hand and we followed someone else doing it, doing the same route.

Does anyone know anyone who's failed here yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

while i was there 5 people came into the waiting room after doing their tests, 3 had failed, 2 passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

noblestee wrote: »
    while i was there 5 people came into the waiting room after doing their tests, 3 had failed, 2 passed

look at the stickied topic on top though - many have passed there lately, incl. myself.

I must say I thought they marked me fairly easy, as I drove fairly shocking on day - with nerves.
    It's a tough area if you're not used to it. It's all 50kph driving through narrow estates, cars parked both sides, ridiculously weird roundabouts, hills, fancy junctions etc. - I reckon they pass anyone who gets around without any serious calamity. By the by I was very unfamiliar with the area, having done the pretest just before the real test!

Best of luck.

Ps. the route attached above was not the one I did

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

I got a cancellation for dun laoghaire... I can count the amount of times ive been out there on one thumb

Has anyone any experiences of test in Dun Laoghaire ?

what was your route?

thanks

ss

Thread merged with existing one.

supersnail wrote: »
    I got a cancellation for dun laoghaire... I can count the amount of times ive been out there on one thumb

Has anyone any experiences of test in Dun Laoghaire ?

what was your route?

thanks

ss

Thread merged with existing one.

I passed at Dun Laoghaire, I got only one fault (grade 2) which was due to practicing in a different car than i did the test in.

The route was very similar to Noblestee above, I went on 2 roundabouts, the first one i went on twice, I went on one quite good road and struggled to keep it at 50.. Felt like i was crawling along lol and spent the rest of the time in around the estates kinda. I got quite a narrow road to do the turnabout on, at the same time i seen another person sitting the test do one on a very wide main road.

Handy enough and i flew through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I have my test in Dun Laoghaire today!!! Holy crap Im nervous!!!!!!!

Advertisement