Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dove ad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Best Advert ever. It's about time someone took on the image that glossy mags/ music video/ movies, generally every where, are showing young girls today. I am mighty impressed.

And they wonder why girls have image issues and have eating disorders when they are bombarded by images.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I love those Dove ads.

Hadn't seen that one before but it is brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Havn't seen that advert before either.
    I like! It's very true to life unfortunetly..go Dove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

What a great ad!! Is this new? Is it going to be shown on TV here? I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Smacks of cynicism, I'm surprised you guys aren't more vocal on the fact that the Dove parent company (Unilever) also pump at ads like this.

They're just out to make money, like most businesses.
    "The hypocrisy is Dove positioning itself as a brand that cares and is trying to teach girls to resist this messaging," said Josh Golin, associate director of the CCFC. "At the same time Unilever, in the form of Axe, is putting out some of the worst messaging there is."
    Advocacy Group Blasts Unilever's 'Hypocrisy'

• Advertisement

Well it's still a good ad with a good message. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

zabbo wrote: »
    Smacks of cynicism, I'm surprised you guys aren't more vocal on the fact that the Dove parent company (Unilever) also pump at ads like this.

They're just out to make money, like most businesses.

Advocacy Group Blasts Unilever's 'Hypocrisy'

Fair enough, but can you not just take this ad for what it is? It's positive, go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    I figured this would be better posted here than in AH. Thoughts? This is the only ad campaign I can say I'm truly impressed by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaH4y6ZjSfE

Needs more hot chicks dancing in bikini's.

Wreck wrote: »
    Needs more hot chicks dancing in bikini's.

Booooooooooo!

Boys! :rolleyes::p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

great ad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's positive? it's tricking a load of daft women into thinking dove actually give a crap about them or their 'opinions'. they want your money, that is all they want.

good ads, good company.. good christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tis cringeworthy and condescending tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mordeth wrote: »
    it's positive? it's tricking a load of daft women into thinking dove actually give a crap about them or their 'opinions'. they want your money, that is all they want.

Thats what all ads do. It still doesn't mean you can't appreciate some of them though.

Well I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's like those Shell adverts where they pretend to care about the environment when they actually spend more on advertising their environmental projects than on the projects themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Advertising is great! Its the best religon this world has!!

Look whatever about their parent company, it's a good ad with a good message....besides all Dove is soap, moisturiser, shampoo etc...can you not just see it for what it is, a good ad with a good message? Why do you have to bring negativity in to it? Why does there always have to be a negative point when something good is shown??

because it's relevant?

yeah... that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Talk to your daughter before the beauty industry does" - eh... what industry is Dove part of? :rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with the ad's critics here. And the bottom line is: this campaign by Dove is SELLING LOTS OF DOVE! By pretending to care about women's self image it's setting itself apart from other cosmetic brands - it's your "friend" and its use of "real" women is a unique selling point. No other company is doing it so it's bound to shift plenty of Dove units. Pretty ingenious marketing strategy really. And as someone else pointed out in a similar discussion on AH a couple of months ago, it's bound to be cheaper to use girls in the ads who aren't professional models.

Of course the plethora of images of ultra-slim models everywhere is a negative thing when it comes to females' self-image, but it's hypocritical of Dove to claim it cares.

And as someone else pointed out on a similar discussion on AH a couple of months ago, it's bound to be cheaper to use girls in the ads who aren't professional models.

oh...wow

i had never thought about that.... absolute genius on the part of dove's marketing division.

• Advertisement

Have to say it's a well-made ad. But I'm in agreement with simu - it's also awfully condescending.

is it actually condescending if alot of them like it though?

is it condescending to speak to a baby in babytalk?

It is just another ad, yes. I don't see what buying Dove products has to do with not being an airbrushed supermodel. If you are going to buy the product just because you think they are on your side, then you are just as stupid as the people who buy other products thinking they will make you look like the girls in the (other) ads.
    I know it's completley hypocritical, it's still marketing feeding off of our insecurities in in some way or another, but at the same time I'm not going to let my cynicism get in the way of enjoying an ad. I find it is easier to resist buying a product in a shop than it is to resist enjoying watching an ad for the sake of it.
    Besides, beauty is not what you see everyday, In my opinion, and they are using every day girl next door girls/women in their ads.
    Beauty has always been the unattainable.

Well that's true. Ignoring everything else and just focusing on the ad, it is a good ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Just because you like the ad doesn't mean the company's motives aren't suspect.

For example, this morning I walked past a hug eCoke billboardadvertising three free drinks for designated drivers on nights out and before I could stop myself my mind went "wow, that's such a good thing for Coke to do! They're helping to prevent road deaths!"

Which they are. But the point of the matter is that I'm boycotting coke at the moment (Pepsi ftw!) because of all the killing/child-labour/creepy-way-they-practically-indoctrinate-children, and yet here they were, winning me over with a great, do-gooder ad. *fumes*

Hah, thinking of this thread last night reminded me of that WKD ad they used to have on to market alco pops at men. They made them blue aswell, ffs.
    Well on the way to work this morning, lo and behold I drive past a billboard with the very same crappy ad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Great, I like that ad. Ive a little sis who altho she is young is still concerned about doing exercise and her weight, which horrifies me, but we need to get wake up calls from these ads. love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

No where does it say to buy the product or does it specify any product. Its basically just pointing out that issues that face the young ladies of today. I still think it is a good ad with a good message.

did you not see 'a Dove film'?

it's called 'Dove onslaught'

there's an ad for some 'dove foundation for self esteem'

the title of the thread is 'New Dove ad'?

a dove 'film' indeed, they're trying not to make it look like an advertisement but like a public service announcement.

Good GOD woman. It's as shameless a piece of advertising as the Duff beer blimp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I know Dove is yet another multinational who is making lots of money out of very clever advertising ....but.....
    I love the Dove ads. There really refreshing in a world where we are bombarded by images of clones everyday. Its so refreshing to see somone use wrinkled,ginger,plump,scrawny,big boobs,no boobs,freckles,pale,tanned,black,asian,white,small,tall basiclaly ALL types of body shapes and apperances in their adverts :)

Advertisement