Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in Waterford..

Options
  • 19-08-2007 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last 10-20 years, Waterford has changed alot. Just wondering what everyone remembers?

For me simple things like Strand video store on John Street, or when I was younger - a place near where supermacs is called Burgerland I think. There were also some slot machines and stuff where the book store is now I think.

Bars and clubs - Preachers, The Pulpit, Club LA, Egans.

Not to mention the landscape changes around my very own Hillview and the changes to the quay and Red Square..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Think burgerland used to be up around where A-Wear is now. Wasint there a crazy prices out in lisduggan at one stage?
    Biggest changes have to be out on the cork rd. Hard to believe that up to a couple of years ago there was pretty much nothing past Hasbro but farmland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm of a vintage to remember when you could drive up Georges Street through the Barronstand/Broad street and into Arundel Square without let or hinderance. When the Winston and Bescos traffic lights actually had Winston and Bescos at the junction. Funny how for many the name has stuck.

Arundel Square used to be a gravely car-park and Scotch Quay had a reputation! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

All the warehouses on the quay!

Indeed MAC TRANS FREIGHT and the rest. I found 2 crisp 20 notes there many years back, there was'nt a soul around (I was parked on the double yellow on the suir-side of the quay) so I just well, kept it :o

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Burgerland was where Sherwoods is now and the original book centre was beside it where the pound shop is. But the biggest change has got to be the dunmore road area,when you passed ardkeen there was nothing but fields for miles.
    Pubs I remember - Bobby Graces, Wallaces (gingerman), Fat Sams, The Stonecourt and not to forget The Peppermint Grove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Driving your car right to the door of Darrers (Now McDonalds & Argos,half price toy sales upstairs in the afternoon of christmas eve). Woolworths where Pennys is. The other entry to Sullys on a road that is now the main thoroughfare through city square. On that same road to the right, next to where Dunnes stands now, where Burger King etc.. is, Woolies having its closing down sale (then huge excavations to build City Square and being able to peek through the hoardings and see the foundations of the old viking city).

Huge cranes at Bell lines on the quay (now at the new port), the new bridge being built and it being on the news that they dropped one of its pillars in the river by mistake.

The car stand / Poleberry flooding badly, the bridge at poleberry being built in the early 80's with a temporary wooden thing up where the current bridge is now. All the land where Tesco / New Cinema is being wasteland full of high weeds with a dust path the locals used and a stream where the Hyundai Garage is that you had to jump (either by foot, or on BMX !) Gravelly carpark at railway square with a bum living in a caravan.....

Rubys being a department store and then Pot Black snooker hall upstairs and I think a restaurant probably La Palma downstairs... Harneys bakery actually being open :-( A sweet shop or two just opposite it, with Jackpot amusement arcade being right next to it where muldoons is today. Next to that again Sinnots was the main music shop in the early 80's and also a top video shop upstairs... And a chipper next to that. The old pub, Davysomethings where Masons is (previously Junction/Club LA). The Beefy King on the corner, cross lane video being just behind it where the Jolly Barber is now ! I think Cross lane was at one point down near where carphone warehouse is now, for that matter I think there was a sinnotts there too... mid eighties. A road going through Michael Street, a foot high kerb outside where sinnotts / the pound shop are now... the original pound shop near where the book centre is now, most popular shop in town ! The Chuck Wagon where Kavagnaghs is next to A-wear which used to do mens clothes upstairs. Hundreds of bikes locked up outside the library and around the side of the cathedral. Hundreds of bikes all over the road for that matter, armada's of them going into the various schools in the mornings... The Manor St John with their black jumpers being one of them, next to where peigs is now.

O'Donoghues barbers on Patrick Street, the old Regina Cinema with its 3 screens, I remember number 2 was on the ground floor, with 3 up at the top of the stairs. A second hand tape shop in the early nineties at the size of Enterprise homecare, blitz I think it was called. The opening of the broad street centre, surely one of the biggest failures ever considering the perfect location, bewleys and KG discs remember them ? BPM now were the only ones that did well along with a fabric shop. BPM used to have a book with names of tapes with no cover they would sell you cheap in the early nineties, used to always head in for a look.

A car park at the back of the cathedral, where the hotel is now. Scholars bookstore for schoolbooks, the original bookcentre, a joke shop in georges court where Tony Roche is, in the early 80's. Teleport, worst computer shop ever. Finns ? Camera and Computer shop, initially near Bodega in the 80's but moved up opposite ballonatics, used to be a little tobacco / pipe shop there too. Finns was retro heaven. Until the late 90's they would still sell you a full price C64 game ! Hell I bet they would have sold you a full price commodore PET game, wonder what they did with their stock ? Also, anyone remember on the ground floor of the Kazbar which was almost a derilict building, a shabby video arcade known as FRED's in the eighties.

I remember the cannons at city hall being in the park. I remember before they built the adventure playground another swings/ slides / roundabouts / seesaws and other lethal apparatus being there on a tarmac'd piece of ground. I remember the cycling track being good enough to actually race on and doing just that before throwing the bikes down and heading onto the pitch in the middle for a game of footie.

I might be imagining it, but I could swear I remember parts of the waterside river being cleaned at the start of the nineties (didn't last that way for long) to show the brickwork that is under the sludge (apparently a section of that river is all bricked underneath where its course was altered to allow a road to be built or something like that.

Outside of town, I remember hillview being end of the line in that direction, well the industrial estate anyway. I remember no garages on the cork road. The entire of where woodies / PC world etc.... Superquinn being a marsh that my mates dad was thinking of buying and deciding against (this was the early nineties). I remember kids legging it to the dump at certain times of day because Milton Bradley were dumping a skip of incomplete games etc.. (which you could mix and match to make full games). I remember Ballybeg only going as far as Priority lawn. The original Ardkeen stores which we used to cross over 3 fields from Farran Park to get to. Farran Park being the last outpost until you got to Mount Pleasant. On the Dunmore road, a huge Ugly blue and white vintage bus bringing us out the road, the original Cove stores, the hospital being a bunch of prefabs before the new hospital was built, and for that matter the Infirmary still being a hospital and people going around with bright pink Save the infirmary stickers on their cars. Further out the Ballytruckle road I remember twomneys shop opposite ferndale. I remember too where the road split at Ballytruckle green you could go both directions, (early eighties), i.e the wall at the bottom of the Ursline was not there, and the road between the sacred heart church to the road leading to the Ursline Hill/Pearse park did not exist. Further out that road, the original big lumpy walls of the greyhound stadium which I scaled many a time to see Waterford utd play. Nothing existed after that, well after St Herblain / Avondale.

On the Dumore Road Viewmount was as far as it went, and we went Robbing Apples where the huge house is (now apartments) at Earlscourt which was all fields from there out.

Jeez, listen to me, I could go on for days, you'd swear I was 70 not 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

How about The Beefy King? And then Darrers Stores where Argos and McDonald's are now. Hehe!

Edit: beaten to it!

Brilliant description Quigs Snr, you're making me all misty eyed. What about the video arcade in what is now the book centre when i was in mt sion we called it "The Gloss" (why i dont know).Was a haven for those of us on the duck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Ah yeah, Dunmore road, The cove shop with that rediculous roof that they seemed to keep for world wide wines and beside it was a tiny statoil petrol station where Italios chipper and mulligans pharmacy is now. Ardkeen quality food store was where supermacs is now and you had crystal vision video store up the very back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Toymaster being where boots is now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Going back a bit now (late 60s/early 70s):

The Sportsman (where Georges Court now is).

The Sportshop (on the quay next to Fieldmasters).

Daltons Records (I think) where Fieldmaster now is.

Cantwells TV/Radio, Discs, and Tapes (where Balloonatics is now in Michael Street).

The Twins Bar in High Street (where City Square now stands).

The Kiwi Bar in Patrick Street.

Burgerland stood where Sherwoods is now.

The Wimpy (where Dillons jewellers was up to recently).

Malones shop in Colbeck Street.

Green Shield Stamps in O'Connell Street.

Heusen Electrical in 67 O'Connell Street (Pet Shop now).

Time Electric (Funk It) in Michael Street.

Cablelink (now a book store) in Michael Street.

RTV Rentals (the old one at the Junction of High Street and Barronstrand Street)

RenTel (same site - watched the moon landings on the first colour TV in the window!:eek: )

Burtons (A-wear now).

Hipps menswear (3G store now).

London and Newcastle (Broad Street Centre).

Phelans Cafe (now the Bagel Factory) in Broad Street.

Phelan's Chemist, Michael Street.

The Modern Trend, Michael Street.

Kneeshaws Jewellers, Peter Street (now the entrance to City Square).

The Savoy Cinema (The Book Centre).

Phelans Tobacconists (next to Argos).

Coads Shoes (Meteor Store).

Woolworths (Penneys).

Willworths (yes!) in Arundel Square.

And who can forget the everlasting sale in Peter France's (now also the Bagel Factory). Standing joke was that when Nelson Mandela was released he asked if the sale was still on in Peter France's!

And last of all, Action Dan (a competitor for Action Man)!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭jmcc

And the Independent newspaper offices where SuperMacs on Red Square is now. It is getting so bad that if you blink you miss a building/shop being replaced. Another pub: Kavanagh's Pub on the Quay at the bus stop.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What about the pigs feet caravans. There was one on Ballybricken across the road from what is Alfie Hales pub now. I think it was a bit of a fad for a while. Going for a walk up Gracedieu and in the rock, when that was still in the country. The Quay not being full of car parks. The Tower hotel only being half the size it is now. Darrers supermarket with the roof down on your head. The cash & carry in what is Heaton’s in the hypermarket and a toy shop and café on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

Anyone rememebr Boyce's in Michael Street?

Richard Finn's Camera & COmputer shop originally in Arundel Lane where City Square is now....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Alot of people showing there age in this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Richard Finn's Camera & COmputer shop originally in Arundel Lane where City Square is now....

God i remember the original shop in arundel lane, when you walked in you had to go up some steps and you came to the big long counter on your right, then on your left you had the tellys setup with the various computers and consoles of the time, spent many a happy hour in there.

A story about Richard, i bought a commodore 64 game called red storm rising (not from him, from Teleport), and wasnt working full stop after getting a replacement from Teleport and that not working and fiddling with the c64 datacorder they advised me to send it back to Microprose in England (yeah i know was young and naive :eek: ), so i duly did and basically the game fell into a black hole at the company and i snail mailed them several times and rang them several times and got nowhere, so was speaking to richard about it and he said give him the details and hell see what he could do, about 4 days later i was in there, and he had a fully registered mail from microprose with a brand new copy of red storm rising and a grovelling letter from micorproses sales department waiting for me, that version of the game i got actually worked and I was forever grateful to him for getting it back for me

Shin

Cabaal wrote:
    Alot of people showing there age in this thread ;)

:D:D And proud of it!

Bards wrote:
    Anyone rememebr Boyce's in Michael Street?

Indeed I do. And what about City Cycles (next to the Blue Haven Pub) in O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

im only 18 but remember being terrified of the look of that platformy thing where the plaza is now. and if im not dreaming, there was alot of goth/punk people around waterford 1995-ish

Freddie59 wrote:
    Indeed I do. And what about City Cycles (next to the Blue Haven Pub) in O'Connell Street.

Could be my imagination but I think that building is still there with the old sign over the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

City cycles is still there but not open for business anymore. Remember the auld lad there, sound as a pound he was. Always had something special out back he'd sell you for half nothing. His wife is still alive I see her around the place from time to time. Bought a couple of bikes in there in the late eighties.

Anyone else remember a bike shop opposite the gingerman in the late 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

Quigs Snr wrote:
    City cycles is still there but not open for business anymore. Remember the auld lad there, sound as a pound he was. Always had something special out back he'd sell you for half nothing. His wife is still alive I see her around the place from time to time. Bought a couple of bikes in there in the late eighties.

Anyone else remember a bike shop opposite the gingerman in the late 80's?
    I'd say it was more like early 80's.. but I do remember it but can't think of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Does anyone remember when Grubbs was accross the street from where it is today ( Now Great Deal Carpets , ex Frank English ) I think they moved out more than 20years ago but even then I rembember going in ther and it was like stepping into a time capsule .
    The Grubb & Co Mirror that now hangs by the kitchen in Geoffs unsed to hang halfway up the stairs .

Is Whittles shop still open or is it shut I remember getting the blaas in there in the mornings when I was still a nipper !

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah it was called George Whites if I remember correctly. I also remember that cycle shop it was called O' Donoghue's

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

George Whites .. how did I get that one wrong .. so im wrong about the mirror in geoffs too !! stupid me !!

What was the name of the video rental shop on Barronstrand opposite the TSB? There was a record shop called Soundwaves I think. The vid shop had copies to buy in the window display I remember titles like Alien and The Exorcist priced at around 45-50 quid in 1982/3! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Was there ever a HMV on (or around) Barronstrand Street? I remember an uncle buying a tape in a shop there and it had the famous dog and gramophone logo, but that's not strictly exclusive to HMV so maybe it could have been something else.

I also bought a C64 from Finns when they were on Arundle Lane. They were nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah yeah, the wimpy! Almost forgot about that. And Fitzmaurices for boots.

The only record shop I remember on Barronstrand st. was the original Sinnotts before they moved up to where they are now. There was another one beside the book centre but that only lasted a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

shockwave wrote:
    There was another one beside the book centre but that only lasted a few months.

That was called Rockaway Records if memory serves me right. It was in the premises originally occupied by Stripes.

Advertisement