Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC-ness gone mad?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Ok another roma thread. I don't want it to descend into racist madness but I was quite fascinated by this quote from here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/roma.html
    A coalition of charity organisations has called for urgent action to address what it is describing as an humanitarian crisis.

Its to do with the Romas living on the Ballymun roundabout, the ones that want houses for nothing, the very same Romas that travel from place to place, camping and the like as part of their culture and tradition

So I am asking, is this Political Correctness gone mad? Why do these charities feel responsible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Either they are quite clever or really ****ing stupid.

Camp in Ballymun, one of the roughest parts of the country.
    The bleeding hearts feel compassion for the inevitable racism (even though it's probably just a few 7 year olds stealing eggs from their homes and throwing them at the Romas) and then put pressure on the government to house these people.

Perhaps the Romas have finally reached the place they've been travelling around looking for all these centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

If you are a waster, a criminal, with no intention of working but find yourself in a bad situation, Pavee Point is here to help *(terms and conditions apply- suitable recipients of assistance must be of Irish traveller or Roma heritage)

Refugees stuck living by the side of the road in Ethiopia having fled Somali fighting.....yep, humanitarian issue right there. Roma who came from wherever and thought "if we camp in a forest in a bad state long enough the government will be shamed into helping us" but found, amazingly, that the goverment wants nothing to do with them, thats not a humanitarian crisis, its open air squatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

With all this rain it wouldn't take much for a juggernaut to aqua plane and take the lot of them out, that would be a bit of a crisis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They could move then

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

If i went to their country with nothing, could i sign on for a house? or even living money?

Actually, what are the policies of all Poland, Lithuania, Latvia etc on foreign nationals coming in and needing assistance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Tha Gopher wrote:
    stuck living by the side of the road in Ethiopia having fled Somali fighting.....yep, humanitarian issue right there. Roma who came from wherever and thought "if we camp in a forest in a bad state long enough the government will be shamed into helping us" but found, amazingly, that the goverment wants nothing to do with them, thats not a humanitarian crisis, its open air squatting.

Thats my point by all means take in and help the victims of humanitarian crisis and I also have no problem with poles etc that are here working and contributing to society.

The Romas are in their own league altogether and I am fascinated by this 'care' and 'concern' expressed by these charities.

Sure come to Ireland we'll take yee if you sit in your own piss long enough :mad:

EDIT: I Meant to say that my sister lives in Sweden and they have same trouble with the Turks and they are rounded up and promptly deported.

Whe don't we do that here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The UK government treats Irish travellers there better and gives them even more assistance than the Irish government (much to the annoyance of villages around London they have camped near). The Romanian/wherever government probably has the same attitude the Irish have- we are rid of them, and if there is a foreign government willing to take their crap, let them. Maybe the Roma are taking the same position as our travellers- after all, they stayed at the side of the road for years and complained about self imposed living conditions, then they were given free housing on prime land in Dublin. Or how about Dunsink, if the Ballymun Roma can only last 19 years and 3 months more in the woods its ching ching time :)

TheGooner wrote:
    Thats my point by all means take in and help the victims of humanitarian crisis and I also have no problem with poles etc that are here working and contributing to society.

The Romas are in their own league altogether and I am fascinated by this 'care' and 'concern' expressed by these charities.

Sure come to Ireland we'll take yee if you sit in your own piss long enough :mad:

EDIT: I Meant to say that my sister lives in Sweden and they have same trouble with the Turks and they are rounded up and promptly deported.

Whe don't we do that here?

Because no politician has the balls to make the decision. Too afraid of the pc media backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Jesus christ if id known it was this easy to get a free house in Ireland id have taken my 2 man tent and a gas stove down to the ballymun roundabout years ago. Anyone here want a free house? Care to join me in a sleepover down ballymun?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think we should find a Scout camp and bring them to the attention of Pavee point :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

are they actually living in a roundabout, bit noisy i would have thought, have they got caravans or are they living in boxes

MooseJam wrote:
    are they actually living in a roundabout, bit noisy i would have thought, have they got caravans or are they living in boxes

In roundabout with tarpulins above them, pic on rte site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can see a vicious cycle forming here:

Input

1. Roma parks their keysters at Ballymun or wherever else miserable.

2. Government gives in / charities hearts melts and give them free houses.

3. Given welfare or job oppertunities.

Output

1. More Roma's on streets selling flashy crap, roses & balloons.

2. More Roma's hear of this, come over here, repeat steps 1 - 3.

Total

Ireland is nothing more but an island that sells flashy crap, roses & balloons

We need action *cocks shotgun*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Terry wrote:
    Either they are quite clever or really ****ing stupid.

Camp in Ballymun, one of the roughest parts of the country.
    The bleeding hearts feel compassion for the inevitable racism (even though it's probably just a few 7 year olds stealing eggs from their homes and throwing them at the Romas) and then put pressure on the government to house these people.

Perhaps the Romas have finally reached the place they've been travelling around looking for all these centuries.

I'm gonna go with very ****ing clever!

They could have set up camp anywhere, but why pick a remote location when you can set yourself up in the direct line of 'antisocial and racist' fire?

By placing themselves in Ballymun they guaranteed themselves a bit of controversy, which would be undisputed by anyone in the media, or authority, putting pressure on the government to fast track any kind of housing procedure.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if they are EU citizens, make them get jobs
    if not, Deport them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

TheGooner wrote:
    In roundabout with tarpulins above them, pic on rte site

While it is a terrible way to live, and i dont like seeing anyone live in such conditions, the fact thet they are voluntarily putting themselves in these squalid living conditions in the hope that the PC brigade will do enough hand wringing and crying until they get free accomodation nullifies any sympathy i would have for them. There are Irish homeless people who've lived rough for alot longer, who are far more deserving of any accommodation the goverment would give out. Let them rot, for all i care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Deport them all. They contribute nothing to Irish society. i have no problem with people coming here and working, paying their taxes as many Eastern Europeans do, what I don't like are wasters and beggars coming here thinking they will get free housing/social welfare for nothing. I really don't see why they were admitted in the first place.

Better article here taken from ireland.com
    Group calls for aid for M50 Roma gypsies
    Clodagh Mulvey

An extended family of over 50 Roma gypsies encamped on the M50 roundabout at Ballymun are being subjected to racist abuse, a coalition of charities and NGOs claimed today.

Calling for state intervention to help the Rostas family, who have been living in the open for nearly two months, the coalition group says it is seeking immediate action to end what it describes as a "humanitarian crisis".

Sara Russell, Roma co-ordinator with Pavee Point travellers centre told ireland.com the family is being adversely affected by legislation introduced by the Irish Government prior to Romania joining the EU which prevents them from availing of social welfare assistance. As a result, she says, the Rostas are being forced to live in "horrific conditions".

Romanians are restricted from working in Ireland unless they have a work visa or are self-employed, although they do have freedom of movement within the EU.

Under a "habitual residency" condition of their right to travel to Ireland - introduced by the Government to prevent "welfare tourism" - Romanians and other former accession country nationals are unable to access social welfare unless they can prove they are normally resident in Ireland or plan to remain in the country for a long period of time.

Thirty-two adults and 22 children are currently living on the roundabout without running water, sanitation, adequate heat or shelter and recently, members of the public have visited the site hurling verbal abuse and throwing eggs at the family, Ms Russell said.

"The roundabout is infested with rubbish and vermin and due to the location of the makeshift camp the risk of injury or fatality from a traffic accident is of serious concern. In order to avert a road accident and a public health crisis we are seeking urgent humanitarian intervention," she added.

Ms Russell said the four Dublin local authorities and the HSE homeless persons unit are responsible for providing emergency accommodation for the family.

"These agencies need to act immediately to assist these families in leaving the roundabout and into emergency accommodation," she said.

Ms Russell also insisted the HSE has a statutory obligation under the Child Care Act 1991 to protect and promote the welfare of all the children in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

32 adults and none of them think to sort out a job before they arrive? The laws brought in were to stop this exact thing happening, deport them, no exceptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that the Czechs are now getting the backlash for not "looking after" their Roma population.

http://www.radio.cz/en/news/#1

"Press: Czech government may compensate forced sterilisation
    An advisory body to the Czech Government Council for Human Rights has proposed financial compensation of up to 200,000 crowns (almost 10,000 USD) for the victims of forced sterilisation, mainly Romany women, in the country, the daily Lidove noviny reports on Tuesday. The Government Council is to debate the proposal in September, the paper adds. The Council's advisory body, the Committee for Biomedicine and Human Rights, has worked out a plan of compensating the women and at least one man who were sterilised without their consent in the past. The paper writes that the possible compensation would apply to cases of forced sterilisation performed between 1966 and 1991."

Perhaps the Irish Government doesn't want to get sued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

TheGooner wrote:
    Romanians are restricted from working in Ireland unless they have a work visa or are self-employed, although they do have freedom of movement within the EU.

I think this is where the problem lies... While immediate access to welfare is another issue, the freedom of movement without freedom to work is completely unjust, and results in situations like this, as well as the Roma begging etc that is so visible in the city.

Humanitarian crisis me arse. A humanitarian crisis in my opinion is something like whats happening in Darfur. Watching it on RTE now and I have zero sympathy for them. Why don't our own homeless people get this much attention. These people were able to afford to travel all across Europe to live at a roundabout ffs. Deport the freeloading squatters immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

By not having a work visa how are these people going to donate to society exactly? Are the government getting secret revenues off the purchasing of roses and balloons??

Government Goon: "Sir, rose profits are up 23% from Friday & Saturday night working hours of the previous month."
    Government Poncho: "Excellent, soon our plan will be complete!!"
    Governement Goon: "What would that be sir?"
    Governement Poncho: "Not to stand our ground or stretch our neutrality by any means"

Duggy747 wrote:
    By not having a work visa how are these people going to donate to society exactly? Are the government getting secret revenues off the purchasing of roses and balloons??

That was put in place to deter them from coming here at all.

They have no intention of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Duggy747 wrote:
    Government Poncho: "Excellent, soon our plan will be complete!!"

Ooooh! I want a government poncho!. What colours do they come in? Oh and do they have special pockets big enough to hold my brown envelopes and "dig out" proceeds?

Where would I get one? Maybe from a Government Honcho? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

TheGooner wrote:
    That was put in place to deter them from coming here at all.

They have no intention of working.

But how can you know that they have no intention of working if they aren't given the opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

If they had any intention they would have sourced work and made sure visa's were in order before they arrived like the hundreds of thousands of other immigrants who come here to work.

But how can you know that they have no intention of working if they aren't given the opportunity?

We have been through this already in after hours and we learnt that it is there culture and tradition to lie, cheat, beg, steal and basically live a totally lawless life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ejmaztec wrote:
    It seems that the Czechs are now getting the backlash for not "looking after" their Roma population.

http://www.radio.cz/en/news/#1

"Press: Czech government may compensate forced sterilisation
    An advisory body to the Czech Government Council for Human Rights has proposed financial compensation of up to 200,000 crowns (almost 10,000 USD) for the victims of forced sterilisation, mainly Romany women, in the country, the daily Lidove noviny reports on Tuesday. The Government Council is to debate the proposal in September, the paper adds. The Council's advisory body, the Committee for Biomedicine and Human Rights, has worked out a plan of compensating the women and at least one man who were sterilised without their consent in the past. The paper writes that the possible compensation would apply to cases of forced sterilisation performed between 1966 and 1991."

Perhaps the Irish Government doesn't want to get sued.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting following the example of a former eastern bloc country.

At least Irish travellers have the foresight to get a caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The roundabout is infested with rubbish and vermin

What a horrible thing to call them :)

Advertisement