Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Car Stereo - Experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

No personal experience but aldi are doing a similar deal on thursday http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_254.html

also available in black....for the less tacky approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

looks good.

@onikage: If you do a search you will find threads about past car stereos both shops have sold with customer feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

wba88 wrote:
    looks good.

@onikage: If you do a search you will find threads about past car stereos both shops have sold with customer feedback

Only thread I could find was http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054989359 which started last september and was for a different model with bluetooth. Most of the issues revolved around said bluetooth! So I thought what the hey, time for a new thread.

Hey masseyno9, that Aldi one looks even better. No rainbow coloured LEDs :cool:

If you read the thread the ppl with bluetooth problems (i think) had them resolved so if this were to go wrong i think you would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

the aldi one has a 3yr warranty, u cant go wrong with it for that price

• Advertisement

Onikage wrote:
    Only thread I could find was http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054989359 which started last september and was for a different model with bluetooth. Most of the issues revolved around said bluetooth! So I thought what the hey, time for a new thread.

Hey masseyno9, that Aldi one looks even better. No rainbow coloured LEDs :cool:
    Aldi one says
    'Multi-coloured LCD panel'
    :p

i prefer the aldi one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a ALDI cd/mp3/bluetooth car radio since last autumn and must say it's great value.
    Only problem I noticed is that it stops working if it gets really hot outside. I only noticed this last week when it was scorching, otherwise it a find!

you get a usb cable with the aldi one aswell....cant go wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I have that Lidl model - got it the last time they were in Lidl ( about €10 dearer then) and it has started giving me trouble after a few months.

It won't always recognise that there is a CD inserted, and sometimes it hangs when spinning up a CD, and then I can't turn it off. I then have to pull in onto the side of the road to turn off the car (!) and restart the engine so that the radio then restarts.Grrrrr.
    It does have a reset button, but if you use that you lose all of your radio presets and base, treble settings etc.

If the above problem starts happening more often I'll just get rid of it, methinks.:mad:

So I would say go for the Aldi one

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

the Aldi one does have bluetooth , right?
    i think its better than the other (lidl):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Yeah I bought that Lidl radio a while back. It does the job. Only two issues with it really. The first is with the volume knob, when I am trying to lower the volume the volume just goes up instead of down...can be quite annoying. The other issue is that once in a while my personal settings will be reset e.g. silencing that beeping sound. Apart from that itsdecent enough for the price its at.

oh and the aldi one has a front aux input :) gonna get one of these for the sis
    i should really read things fully first :rolleyes:

'Front auxiliary input with free gold tipped line in cable for connecting iPods'

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rhodney wrote:
    the Aldi one does have bluetooth , right?
    i think its better than the other (lidl):confused:
    Not this one. Which is a shame, if it had bluetooth, I was gonna buy it for the workvan.

wba88 wrote:
    Aldi one says
    'Multi-coloured LCD panel'
    :p

i prefer the aldi one myself

Multi-coloured is fine. (Blue and white = 2 = multi)
    Looking like the inside of an arcade, not so good. Clashes with the walnut, you know ;)

Rhodney: The new Aldi one does not have bluetooth. That model was sold last year for around €129. The new model is similar in spec to the Lidl model, although it seems to have a few extras like an auxiliary input on the front.

The people with the bluetooth model complained about the bluetooth mostly. I don't know if that means there were no other problems, or that any other problems were eclipsed by the bluetooth problem!

twanda & biko: thanks for the great feedback! I'm sure if you looked under the hood, you'd see a lot of similarities between the two models. But if it can tide me over for a couple of years I'll be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I have the Lidl (Welltech) model from about 6 months ago (around €99 if memory serves), very happy with it - no need for CD's, just plug in a USB key and the bluetooth works a treat for the mobile hands-free.

This model, while cheaper, is not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

byte wrote:
    Not this one. Which is a shame, if it had bluetooth, I was gonna buy it for the workvan

Onikage wrote:
    Rhodney: The new Aldi one does not have bluetooth. That model was sold last year for around €129. The new model is similar in spec to the Lidl model, although it seems to have a few extras like an auxiliary input on the front.

The people with the bluetooth model complained about the bluetooth mostly. I don't know if that means there were no other problems, or that any other problems were eclipsed by the bluetooth problem!

twanda & biko: thanks for the great feedback! I'm sure if you looked under the hood, you'd see a lot of similarities between the two models. But if it can tide me over for a couple of years I'll be happy!

thanks for the infos.i'll check the aldi one on thursday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I bought the (non-Bluetooth) Aldi one last time around. No complaints, really, except that although the box was marked 'black' the unit was actually silver. I didn't find out until I opened it a few days after I bought it, so when I brought it back they were sold out.

Half-tempted to bring it back next Thursday, claim that it's acting up and see if the manager says 'here, just swap it for another'...;)

I know that would be 'dishonest' of me, but hey, it's 'dishonest' of them to put a crossed-out €84.99 in the ad — the unit was exactly the same price last December!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

biko wrote:
    I have a ALDI cd/mp3/bluetooth car radio since last autumn and must say it's great value.
    Only problem I noticed is that it stops working if it gets really hot outside. I only noticed this last week when it was scorching, otherwise it a find!

What causes this?The same happens to the stereo in my wifes peugeot 307 and it's a factory fitted clarion.It has only staerted to happen in the last 3-4 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 podgerodge

twanda wrote:
    I have that Lidl model - got it the last time they were in Lidl ( about €10 dearer then) and it has started giving me trouble after a few months.

It won't always recognise that there is a CD inserted, and sometimes it hangs when spinning up a CD, and then I can't turn it off. I then have to pull in onto the side of the road to turn off the car (!) and restart the engine so that the radio then restarts.Grrrrr.
    It does have a reset button, but if you use that you lose all of your radio presets and base, treble settings etc.

If the above problem starts happening more often I'll just get rid of it, methinks.:mad:

Must be a fault with them then. Same thing happened someone else I know, they just got fed up with it and eventually threw it in the bin. As the saying goes, if you buy cheap, you buy twice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've the bluetooth one and based on that I'd give it a thumbs up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CompuSat

twanda wrote:

So I would say go for the Aldi one

This can happen with any cd player if not securely mounted, also would popping the front not be a quicker solution than stoping the car??

Just A noite on aldi v lidl, I bought the aldi one the last time and although it has usb the port on the radio is mini usb with a cable to convert to standard usb, lidl on had a standard usb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

CompuSat,
    Yes, it's securely mounted, and even if I insert a CD while trhe car is sitting motionless in traffic it can hang. Taking the faceplate off and putting it back on is no solution - the screen will come back on but will still be stuck at CD loading. It's definitely a fault alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any one know if they have longwave - the previous ones didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Moanin wrote:
    What causes this?The same happens to the stereo in my wifes peugeot 307 and it's a factory fitted clarion.It has only staerted to happen in the last 3-4 months

Its just the amp heating up too much ,all amps get hot.
    probably a bad airflow around the stereo.

any one know if they have longwave - the previous ones didn't

Unlikely. The Aldi one is advertised as AM/FM, the Lidl one makes no comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

_Brian_ wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I think too. Not really much of a problem in Ireland since scorching days are few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

twanda wrote:
    CompuSat,
    Yes, it's securely mounted, and even if I insert a CD while trhe car is sitting motionless in traffic it can hang. Taking the faceplate off and putting it back on is no solution - the screen will come back on but will still be stuck at CD loading. It's definitely a fault alright.
    Get a new one. Call the customer support number and the manufacturer will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Got an identical one and it was vile. Completely unusable buttons, and it kept changing stations of its own accord. Took it back and got a JVC one for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

_Brian_ wrote:

Is it a big job to fix? Would I need to bring it to somebody who knows something about car stereos?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

OK, it's make my mind up time.

Going to buy one of these tomorrow morning.

So which is best?

Lidl or Aldi?

Advertisement